Dak Prescott Is Going To Reset The QB Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Romo choked. he had plenty of good OLs and resources. HOF players on his side of the ball. he failed misreably in the playoffs. if not for a lucky call would have lost to detroit at home. everybody brags about come back. my question is why were we in the hole we were in to begin with? what happened in the first 3 quarters!!!! don't forget, Dak in his first few years was king of comeback too.

and its interesting that you just went on a list of excuses on why we lost those games and its not Romo's fault, but hey all playoff losses after that are Dak's fault.

and the bottom line is wins in the playoffs. Romo couldn't accomplish it. I can list excuses for Dak too. but it doesn't matter. end result.

he was not a superior QB. he was a vastly popular QB.
"Romo, very quietly, is probably the best fourth-quarter quarterback during his time in the NFL. Since 2006, no quarterback in the league as more fourth-quarter comeback victories (25), and his passer rating in the fouth-quarter is an astronomical 102.9. Romo has also led 30 game-winning drives, and has a higher quarterback rating in December (133.7) than any other quarterback in the history of the league.

"He’s also been a pretty decent quarterback in quarters one, two and three. Romo has the fourth-highest passer rating in NFL history, and has thrown 248 touchdowns versus just 117 interceptions. In his least two healthy seasons (2013-14), Romo three 65 touchdown passes and just 19 interceptions."

"The statistics don't lie, and the bottom line is that since 2006, nobody has a higher passer rating in the fourth quarter than Tony Romo according to NFL.com. He also has an impressive resume of 19 fourth-quarter comebacks and 22 game-winning drives"

Why lie?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
"Romo, very quietly, is probably the best fourth-quarter quarterback during his time in the NFL. Since 2006, no quarterback in the league as more fourth-quarter comeback victories (25), and his passer rating in the fouth-quarter is an astronomical 102.9. Romo has also led 30 game-winning drives, and has a higher quarterback rating in December (133.7) than any other quarterback in the history of the league.

"He’s also been a pretty decent quarterback in quarters one, two and three. Romo has the fourth-highest passer rating in NFL history, and has thrown 248 touchdowns versus just 117 interceptions. In his least two healthy seasons (2013-14), Romo three 65 touchdown passes and just 19 interceptions."

"The statistics don't lie, and the bottom line is that since 2006, nobody has a higher passer rating in the fourth quarter than Tony Romo according to NFL.com. He also has an impressive resume of 19 fourth-quarter comebacks and 22 game-winning drives"

Why lie?
So?

First few years of Dak he had highest number of comeback wins than anybody during that period.

And everybody calls it empty stats
Playoffs? Both suck
Big moments and Romo choked. Dak choked.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They could win it all with him and I could only imagine the implosion on this board with him hoisting the Lombardi trophy while the Cowboys were sitting home for the playoffs with Purdy. He would have no chance with our defense and lack of running game.
It boggles my mind that people actually think Cowboys fans would not enjoy that. Some serious narcissist there!

"an implosion on the board"...surely you were drunk or just kidding?

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So?

First few years of Dak he had highest number of comeback wins than anybody during that period.

Playoffs? Both suck
So give me ALL YOUR so very many examples of Romo choking.

When you do that. we'll check the rest of the game too to see how he perfomed the whole game and how manty times he had go back out when defense caved.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
It's the same guy with or without a lead.
I don't know about that. Dak with a lead and able to manage the game is a markedly different player from the Dak playing from behind (especially over one score), where the defense is capable of taking away the run game.
That's why I continually reference the Jimmie Ward quote after SF 1st Playoff defeat. Its their blueprint (well Fangio's)

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
So?

Playoffs? Both suck
No, it's not empty stats....just historical and no longer relevant to the Dak of today. Over the past 3 years its become his Achilles Heel.....and teams know it and plan accordingly.

SquidwardTentacles

Reaction score
I don't know about that. Dak with a lead and able to manage the game is a markedly different player from the Dak playing from behind (especially over one score), where the defense is capable of taking away the run game.
That's why I continually reference the Jimmie Ward quote after SF 1st Playoff defeat. Its their blueprint (well Fangio's)
It is the same person.
The fact that he mentally breaks down when behind demonstrates his lack of quality.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, it's not empty stats....just historical and no longer relevant to the Dak of today. Over the past 3 years its become his Achilles Heel.....and teams know it and plan accordingly.
For the record...yes...it IS in the past. I rarely bring him (and zeke) up anymore. But Dak Ultra Crusaders just can't help themselves. That can't just have a Dak conversation, it's always "But Romo..."

And for the record, I have SHOWN the numbers that show he wasn't a "choker". Did he lose some games? Of course. They all do. Fact is we were usually in it BECAUSE of him.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It's the same guy with or without a lead. Getting all wide eyed, jacked up and spastic because you are behind is not a quality of a good QB.
3 2/3 quarters to go and you fall apart because you don't have a lead? And you excuse that?
Our defense was CRAP in the games we got blown out. It puts a strain on your offense/QB when you’re getting manhandled defensively. Granted our offense wasn’t good either but I put most of the blame on our defense. In the games we got takeaways and special teams scores we were dominant on both sides of the ball. However, we clearly have some issues offensively when we get behind by seven or more. We can’t seem to get anything going and our defense collapses. Hard to overcome a deficit when your defense can’t make a stop or get a turnover.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
looooooooooool why does it seem like that? We start off as you said, and it's like game over!!!!! Then you see a certain person on the sideline looking like "man is this really happening to us, I never saw this coming!'
It’s the entire team standing and sitting on the sidelines looking like “is this really happening to us.” Parsons has been a no show in those games. All he does is stand with his hands in his hips sucking air. You can make all the changes you want at QB but it won’t do any good until we build a team that’s committed to being a championship team. The Cowboys get embarrassed far too often to be committed to being the best. There’s too many games where they don’t show up.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not necessarily true.
It’s true until you hit on a real good QB and that could take years. Not saying it will but it could to find a QB that gives you a real shot at winning a SB. The Jets haven’t had a great QB since Joe Namath and it’s not like they haven’t tried. Miami struggled for years after Dan Marino until Tua and I’m not completely sold on him. Pittsburgh may move on from Pickett. It could take a number of years for them to replace Roethlisberger. Cleveland still doesn’t look like they have an answer at QB despite giving up three first round picks for Watson. Green Bay is the only team that’s hit consistently on QBs the past 2 decades.

They struggled for years after Bart Starr until Favre came along. Then came Rodgers and now Love has shown promise. The Packers were smart enough to prepare themselves with a QB in house to replace each QB. They didn’t move on from Favre and then start looking for a QB. They had Rodgers who showed promise and was ready to take over and they did the same thing preparing Love to take over for him. Each QB stepped in and played well immediately. We can’t move on from Dak until we have a solid QB we have some confidence in to replace him with.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
It’s true until you hit on a real good QB and that could take years. Not saying it will but it could to find a QB that gives you a real shot at winning a SB. The Jets haven’t had a great QB since Joe Namath and it’s not like they haven’t tried. Miami struggled for years after Dan Marino until Tua and I’m not completely sold on him. Pittsburgh may move on from Pickett. It could take a number of years for them to replace Roethlisberger. Cleveland still doesn’t look like they have an answer at QB despite giving up three first round picks for Watson. Green Bay is the only team that’s hit consistently on QBs the past 2 decades.

They struggled for years after Bart Starr until Favre came along. Then came Rodgers and now Love has shown promise. The Packers were smart enough to prepare themselves with a QB in house to replace each QB. They didn’t move on from Favre and then start looking for a QB. They had Rodgers who showed promise and was ready to take over and they did the same thing preparing Love to take over for him. Each QB stepped in and played well immediately. We can’t move on from Dak until we have a solid QB we have some confidence in to replace him with.
That's a whole lot of words to say "I'm scared of trying and Dak makes me comfortable".

If you were a Chiefs fan you'd 100% have been saying "NO! You can't draft Mahomes! He might suck and Alex Smith is good enough! He just needs the right pieces!"

You play scared and your word salad above is embarrassing.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Taking your last point first.....if this isnt a championship winning team with Dak on a 11.7% Cap Hit, then how does it dramatically become one with us doubling the Hit.
Secondly, if your Offense cant claw back a 7-0 deficit then indications are that the player that touches the ball on every down is central in the problems. We can blame it on a lack of running game, but that would suggest that there were chances in the secondary......that Jimmie Ward comment is coming back, about stopping the run and seeing whether Dak can step up.
You won’t be doubling his cap hit if he’s extended plus the cap has gone way up this year. There’s ways of lowering his cap hit by extending/restructuring but we have no chance to become a championship team without him or someone comparable at QB. Hard to claw back when your defense is giving up 40+. We built a team that only plays well with a lead. We can’t stop the run so we have to force teams to throw. If we can’t run the football offensively, it puts it all on Dak. We had OL issues all season. Dak was under tremendous pressure in the games we got behind. Our defense could never get a turnover in those games to change the momentum. Dak has to take some of the responsibility but it’s been a total team failure in the playoffs. Changing QB isn’t going to fix the problem but it could definitely add to it if we end up with a lesser QB. It’s not going to be easy to improve on Dak.

Status
Not open for further replies.