Dak Prescott is now the NFL’s longest-tenured starting QB

Motorola

Reaction score
Guess you got me there on the literal side of things.
I guess I may have been speaking In a figurative kinda way as he's still Dak Garrett to me. They share a few similar traits imo.
Jason Garrett's tenure as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys was overall so blah-meh-underwhelming...but he is on record as coaching the 2nd longest time in years, the 2nd most number of games, and the scond most amount of wins as a Cowboys HC.
Prescott has already garnered some QB records....but those quantitive numbers will ring just as hollow as Romo's, along with Garrett's HC record...if no conference / league title happens.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Jason Garrett's tenure as head coach of the Dallas Cowboys was overall so blah-meh-underwhelming...but he is on record as coaching the 2nd longest time in years, the 2nd most number of games, and the scond most amount of wins as a Cowboys HC.
Prescott has already garnered some QB records....but those quantitive numbers will ring just as hollow as Romo's, along with Garrett's HC record...if no conference / league title happens.

Imagine if Dak had competent coaching for the first part of his career. Imagine if he had Mike McCarthy for longer, or Parcells like Romo did. Or, if Jerry wanted to, we could've had Andy Reid in 2013 when the Eagles sacked him. I think Dak would've been legendary with Reid.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I argued the same in the past, he could have even done it in year 4 and they waffled on about 2M a year difference. I believe at the time the price was about $27M average. they ended up franchising him and paying the differnece and more....jerry is stupid.
Cowboys wanted a 5 year deal. Dak wanted less of one so that he could reup quicker. So after a year of the franchise tag Dak did 5 years, but he got his 40 million.

I believe the average you are talking about is very low. I believe it was like 37 million average.

Bottom line is in the end the Cowboys got the bargain they wanted at the end of the deal and the flexibility to restructure and push the money down the line.

Argue you all you want about Dak being worth 40 million he is a bargain now as compared to other QB's getting paid more. Dak is about the 8th highest paid QB and that is right where is value is. There are other QB's also getting more that he is better than.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean, the only QBs that I would say that have been crap that we've had (starting QBs) would be the following: Tony Banks, Ryan Leaf, Clint Storner, Quincy Carter (well, until Parcells got ahold of him, then he got himself banned), Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson, and, for a few games in 08, Brad Johnson. So, for us to have had the likes of Aikman, Staubach, Meredith, Danny White, Romo, and Dak is amazing when you think about it.
Agreed!

Motorola

Reaction score
Imagine if Dak had competent coaching for the first part of his career. Imagine if he had Mike McCarthy for longer, or Parcells like Romo did. Or, if Jerry wanted to, we could've had Andy Reid in 2013 when the Eagles sacked him. I think Dak would've been legendary with Reid.
After building a solid team to compete for the league tiltle over say, three to four seasons - why did Parcells walk away after the wildcard round loss to Seattle?
The Tuna at the helm ---- two titlles from 2007- 2010.

75boyz

Reaction score
Yep,
Hence my Dak Garrett comparison

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Cowboys wanted a 5 year deal. Dak wanted less of one so that he could reup quicker. So after a year of the franchise tag Dak did 5 years, but he got his 40 million.

I believe the average you are talking about is very low. I believe it was like 37 million average.

Bottom line is in the end the Cowboys got the bargain they wanted at the end of the deal and the flexibility to restructure and push the money down the line.

Argue you all you want about Dak being worth 40 million he is a bargain now as compared to other QB's getting paid more. Dak is about the 8th highest paid QB and that is right where is value is. There are other QB's also getting more that he is better than.
Actually those numbers were when he was in his 3rd year and then 4th year. They couldn't close the deal so he played his last year and then still no contract and he got tagged.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
After building a solid team to compete for the league tiltle over say, three to four seasons - why did Parcells walk away after the wildcard round loss to Seattle?
The Tuna at the helm ---- two titlles from 2007- 2010.

I wish I knew.

GINeric

Reaction score
30 years old is Prescott........somebody get him a wheelchair being injury prone like he is. :muttley:

How old was Drew Brees, John Elway, and Matt Stafford when they won their first superbowls???

(Hey, watch how he avoid this question everybody!!)

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Coaching is everything in the NFL.

MM is putting it on the line with his reputation and how he adjusts this offense into an effective offense with Dak.

Dak has tenure in this league, he obviously is in need of a coach that works directly with him, not the KM show, that was totally bombs away, career before talent, all KM ever had here was an agenda, never was going to work here, but he got his gig elsewhere, and we smartened up, or tightened up I should say.

Its the Mike McCarthy show now, he is calling the plays and why I feel he will have a heavy influence on this draft, wish it was all on McClay but it's the politics of the game.

This draft will lean heavily on offense because of it but I would love to see a defensive edge like McDonald paired in this quickly evolving back 7, that would not cause me to blink at all just envisioning total backfield chaos paired with Parsons.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Coaching is everything in the NFL.

MM is putting it on the line with his reputation and how he adjusts this offense into an effective offense with Dak.

Dak has tenure in this league, he obviously is in need of a coach that works directly with him, not the KM show, that was totally bombs away, career before talent, all KM ever had here was an agenda, never was going to work here, but he got his gig elsewhere, and we smartened up, or tightened up I should say.

Its the Mike McCarthy show now, he is calling the plays and why I feel he will have a heavy influence on this draft, wish it was all on McClay but it's the politics of the game.

This draft will lean heavily on offense because of it but I would love to see a defensive edge like McDonald paired in this quickly evolving back 7, that would not cause me to blink at all just envisioning total backfield chaos paired with Parsons.

Exactly, coaching matters. When you have at a minimum competent coaching, it makes a big difference. Notice the improvement this team has made in many ways with Mike compared to Jason Garrett. Here are just a few examples:

1. We don't have "morale victories" anymore.
2. This team never seems out of a game anymore. The mentality of this team has changed since Garrett. How many times when Garrett was here did the team give up when the game slipped away?
3. McCarthy actually makes adjustments.
4. There seems to be an actual plan every game. Doesn't mean it works always (but at least he adjusts), but it's nice actually noticing that the coaches actually have a plan, instead of using the same game plan every week.

This is why I was saying, imagine if Dak had a competent coach like Mike earlier. He's got talent, and I will defend that I think he's an excellent QB. However, it's important to note that coaching matter, especially early on in a QB's career. If you give a QB Jason Garrett, then you will see Jason Garrett results. If you give him competent to excellent coaching, then you get an elite QB usually. It's really not that difficult.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
IMG-1287.jpg

:muttley:
....that's about the only title he will hold.