Dak Prescott noticeably different in Cowboys offseason workouts

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/list/route/dallas-cowboys/season/week

That's the route trees ran by Dallas' receivers. Every playbook in the league has, "long developing routes," which, IIRC, you've criticized about this offense since prior to Linehan. But not every route ran by every receiver is long developing. Every play has a mix.

It's also not factual that Warner or Bulger were derailed by the scheme, that's an opinion. Warner's time in StL ended because of a broken hand and Bulger ultimately making him expendable. Bulger's career was hardly "ruined." Bulger was a 6th rounder picked up by the Rams from his 2nd practice team stint. If anything, the only reason most people know about Marc Bulger is because of the scheme. As Bulger said- "[Martz] was by far the smartest football mind I've ever been around. The things he was teaching was so far ahead of what others were teaching."

With all the hub bub over Linehan's scheme, the only thing we're hearing that they're changing is pre-snap. Players, Moore, and Garrett have all said they're not really changing the plays moreso than using different formations and motion.
the long developing routes is a buzz word fans use. they complain we don't go down field, but they want the play to develop fast, they want WRs that run 4.1 to do it and they complain.....

like you said, all schemes these days have different flavors of west coast, timing and others.....like from college spread and RPO, etc.....

the key to all of it is game day play calling and pre-snap motions. Linehan was not big on pre-snap motion and his play call (combination of WR routes) was not that good. that's the big difference between good OC and average ones..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Some of you are delusional. Dak was a decent defensive performance away from us facing off against against the Saints. Its a team effort to advance so quit acting like dak needs to be even more clutch than he already is. The defense and our coaches needed to ne better prepared. Dak did more than enough to get us to the nfc championship game but the defense was horrendous.
and a decent offensive performance...don't forget we were down 23-7 until late in the game....the final score was a window dressing more than a competent offensive performance.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean, maybe? He's certainly not the " gunslinger type." I'm actually in favor of being more conservative. Balanced. Look where the gunslinger mentality got us.

Prescott throws a pretty good ball, just not bombs and gaudy numbers.

Another point that they hate?

Somehow, some way, the guy has better career numbers than his two counterparts, Goff and Wentz?

That really riles 'em up!

giphy.gif

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And then your follow up post is that you hate him. Pathetic. Save the "grown man" speech.

Yes. If my team hitches it's wagon to what I believe is a bad QB, I hate it. Hate that the player is on the roster.

I suggest you go cry about it.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Nice rant. Some solid whining here. Find me a better option and I'm all for improving every position. So, before you "think" you understand - try reading.

Why bring Bryant in this? Are you still upset he's not playing? Or Romo, Jesus people, let the man go.

I don't care what you've been labeled. Deal with it?

The current era has been pretty good, so all the nonsense trolling and hate is what is sad. 2 division titles and some postseason action is encouraging.
I don't "love" Prescott half as much as you suggest or that you hate him.
I don't hate Dak as much as I see him for what he is. Bridge guy who is only going to get you so far. It is what it is. The current hasn't been pretty good it's the same old crap we've had to deal.

I am bringing it up because of the blatant arrogant and unabashed hypocrisy and pointing out the fake how can you be a fan and how sad are you rhetoric that you and many of the other usual suspects spew day in and day out. But you have no problems when it's a player you hate or you've moved on from getting bashed ad nauseam. That's my problem and that's why I'm ranting. Your disingenuous behavior.

I have detailed why I am anti-Dak Prescott and used examples of players in the NFL now who mirror his play and production. I still get the same lazy tried crap like your response of troll and hate. I don't hate Dak Prescott there's just better Quarterbacks then him out there and guys in college right now with more potential and a much higher ceiling for production.

Football's the most annoying risk averse sport where people will stick with guys out of fear. Never amounting to much than mediocre because they don't want to bottom out. I would much rather bottom out and take a chance for better than a below average QB who is plays to his weaknesses.

It's not my team though it's the Jones and the current era's all the same not even close to a Super Bowl. Be it with Romo or Dak at the helm.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Me blow a gasket over Dak lol now that's funny!
To be honest when our offense is on the field I find it difficult not to fall asleep during the game due to the anemic pace our offense sputtering with Dak at QB.
After Roger,White,Troy,Romo,having to watch Dak is like going to the dentist......zzzzzzzzzzz
Tee hee!

Johnny23

Reaction score
They can't help it, they love the passing game. And the "prettier passers" who go down the field more often. And because that's not Prescott's game to this point?

BabyishRareAmericanriverotter-size_restricted.gif
Goff and Wentz. @stasheroo have I ever praised Goff? Really the kid's a deer in the headlights when he's not having his hands held by McVay we can all see that.
As for Carson Wentz he's got all the tools,smart,seemingly good enough dude,hard worker regardless of rumors of him not being the locker room guy but he's too damn fragile for my liking.

I wanted Bosa or Zeke in 2016. I was pretty vocal about it on the official forums and made a case for Jalen Ramsey knowing we need corner help at the time and being an FSU fan.

I admire Andy Reid and Bill O'Brien for going after Mahomes and Watson. I love those kids and hope the best for them and think they could succeed here. Though Deshaun has been a little banged up do far.

I love football played at the highest level.

In today's NFL 250 passing yards a game is average.

We know Brian Hoyer's of the world and Blake Blake Bortles are completely trash and they have 4k seasons. Have made the playoffs only to be dispatched with the quicks or when they couldn't ride their defense longer.

The Texans and Jags moved on. We gotta hold on for dear life.

I personally feel like there's nothing wrong with wanting more.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Funny when posters blame a player for being a player or getting a contract. If you hate Prescott, you should be hating the brain trust, not him. All he's doing is taking advantage of an opportunity. His third time in a row to do that and this time from the 3rd string position. Even the team that drafted him didn't really want him but when this opportunity presented itself he responded as he did the previous two times and that gets my attention. All three times, when the previous QB1 was healthy he sat.

That's the kind of thing that intrigues me about sports with some athletes, not considered good enough, show up and are far better then anyone anticipated. Is that Dak Prescott? I don't know yet and yet is the operative word, I do not know if he's as good as he's gonna get yet.

I do not get the Daksters or the Dakaters because it's too early to tell even though it is highly likely he's going to get paid as the QB1 for the next 3 years, which is what we should divide into the guaranteed portion of the contract and with the cap growing 10M a year, this is shorter term than most realize and is not hamstringing the team for the next 6-8 years.

But, I have a question for the Dakaters, what would you do with a QB that has a 66% win and has won the division 2 of his 3 seasons and never missed a game? Did he lose 2 playoff games? He brought them back in the GB game and there are damned few Tier 1 QB's that could overcome their D giving up 270 yards rushing and control of the line.

Some teams are going to have to settle for good enough QB's, which is what I consider Dak to be. The fact is there are not enough Tier 1's or even Tier 2's to go around. You want to take your chance with the draft that you can do better than what they have now? One team feels comfortable with their drafted QB from 2017 and one has already traded their 1st rounder for a 1st overall at QB and the jury is out on him.

It would take far too much to trade up to get Herbert or Tua or Lawrence the following draft but then you've got that same problem, you don't know how well they're going to do and at least you know Prescott can get the team to the playoffs and he can play well enough to advance with the right team but isn't that Brady all over? He's never won one without a top 10 D and run game. Brees and Rodgers only have one ring for being so elite. They didn't have good enough teams around them.

I think the Rams fans were all pissed and calling Goff a bust but the fact was he had the wrong coach. Not just for him but for the offense. Here's that "yet" again. We haven't seen Prescott yet with this OC and play caller. I am in that rather large, but seemingly silent, majority of posters that just haven't decided yet.

So, what have the Dakaters got to lose? He's going to be the QB1 this season for certain. He's got a new OC and QBC and has, on paper, the best group of WR's that we've seen in many years. And he has a top 3 RB that has led the league in rushing those 2 seasons they won the divisions. The difference between the Dakaters/Dakster and UnDakcided's is that we see his entire game, we're not cherry picking select plays to try and shore up our stance. We don't have one to justify or defend yet.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I don't hate Dak as much as I see him for what he is. Bridge guy who is only going to get you so far. It is what it is. The current hasn't been pretty good it's the same old crap we've had to deal.

I am bringing it up because of the blatant arrogant and unabashed hypocrisy and pointing out the fake how can you be a fan and how sad are you rhetoric that you and many of the other usual suspects spew day in and day out. But you have no problems when it's a player you hate or you've moved on from getting bashed ad nauseam. That's my problem and that's why I'm ranting. Your disingenuous behavior.

I have detailed why I am anti-Dak Prescott and used examples of players in the NFL now who mirror his play and production. I still get the same lazy tried crap like your response of troll and hate. I don't hate Dak Prescott there's just better Quarterbacks then him out there and guys in college right now with more potential and a much higher ceiling for production.

Football's the most annoying risk averse sport where people will stick with guys out of fear. Never amounting to much than mediocre because they don't want to bottom out. I would much rather bottom out and take a chance for better than a below average QB who is plays to his weaknesses.

It's not my team though it's the Jones and the current era's all the same not even close to a Super Bowl. Be it with Romo or Dak at the helm.
If you think Prescott is a bridge player, agree to disagree. The staff is all in on Prescott and this was pretty much from the beginning. Since Romo went down, Prescott took over and that's that. Whether you like it or not.
Bridge players are typically one yer contracted older players.

All that other nonsense you posted, I couldn't care less what kind of fan YOU specifically are. I didn't quote YOU.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Goff and Wentz. @stasheroo have I ever praised Goff? Really the kid's a deer in the headlights when he's not having his hands held by McVay we can all see that.
As for Carson Wentz he's got all the tools,smart,seemingly good enough dude,hard worker regardless of rumors of him not being the locker room guy but he's too damn fragile for my liking.

I wanted Bosa or Zeke in 2016. I was pretty vocal about it on the official forums and made a case for Jalen Ramsey knowing we need corner help at the time and being an FSU fan.

I admire Andy Reid and Bill O'Brien for going after Mahomes and Watson. I love those kids and hope the best for them and think they could succeed here. Though Deshaun has been a little banged up do far.

I love football played at the highest level.

In today's NFL 250 passing yards a game is average.

We know Brian Hoyer's of the world and Blake Blake Bortles are completely trash and they have 4k seasons. Have made the playoffs only to be dispatched with the quicks or when they couldn't ride their defense longer.

The Texans and Jags moved on. We gotta hold on for dear life.

I personally feel like there's nothing wrong with wanting more.

We all "want more", and the fact is that the feeling will always exist. But when it gets to the point where Prescott can't get the proper credit for what he has done well? That's a problem. Then it turns into a case of simply never being satisfied and trying to put the guy in a no-win situation.

The fact is that when a 4th round pick outperforms his 1st and 2nd overall pick counterparts? He wins. And this team wins.

And when he's put up far better numbers to start his career than virtually everybody else? He wins again.

There's certainly room for a player entering his fourth season to improve, but that shouldn't discount everything he has done well to this point.

Johnny23

Reaction score
We all "want more", and the fact is that the feeling will always exist. But when it gets to the point where Prescott can't get the proper credit for what he has done well? That's a problem. Then it turns into a case of simply never being satisfied and trying to put the guy in a no-win situation.

The fact is that when a 4th round pick outperforms his 1st and 2nd overall pick counterparts? He wins. And this team wins.

And when he's put up far better numbers to start his career than virtually everybody else? He wins again.

There's certainly room for a player entering his fourth season to improve, but that shouldn't discount everything he has done well to this point.
He hasn't won anything man. That's fair enough it's just what he does well hasn't translated to taking this team to anything other than what we've already been post Jimmy fodder for the eventual nfc champs or the hot streaking team. This team doesn't win. We haven't won in a quarter century. I am not going to celebrate divisional round losses after barely winning a wildcard game once every 5 years. If that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He hasn't won anything man.

He's won far more than his contemporaries have. He's won his division two out of three years. He's won far more games. He wins everywhere outside of some minority if fans opinions here.

That's fair enough it's just what he does well hasn't translated to taking this team to anything other than what we've already been post Jimmy fodder for the eventual nfc champs or the hot streaking team. This team doesn't win. We haven't won in a quarter century. I am not going to celebrate divisional round losses after barely winning a wildcard game once every 5 years. If that.

Then place your blame in the right place. On a defense that repeatedly fails in the playoffs. To Aaron Rodgers, and most recently to the Rams running game. Those losses are on that side of the ball, not on the quarterback.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I mean, maybe? He's certainly not the " gunslinger type." I'm actually in favor of being more conservative. Balanced. Look where the gunslinger mentality got us.

Prescott throws a pretty good ball, just not bombs and gaudy numbers.

So we should settle on the above?
Hey bud we're America's Team not the Bills!

P.S. Most of his balls are garbage throws!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It is his 4th year, things should start clicking even more.
He had a set back in 2017 that messed up his mechanics though he still needs some work with them. But that Atlanta game seemed it messed with his head, and he started getting that back last year. But Cooper sure did help a lot also.

But now as it all starts to come more natural, and with Kitna to help with his mechanics and other stuff. This is his year take the next step and prove he is that QB.

I know they will work out a deal, but I still rather he play and prove it.

Dak needs a lot of work.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
If Dak is feeling more comfortable and he is sharper and more accurate then this team is a SB contender because we are stacked almost everywhere. One thing is certain. Once cooper got here Dak looked good. He will be better this year. Do you guys think his production will match the contract he is looking for? What types of numbers does he need to reach for the contract and for a good season.

I don't care about "numbers"....It's Super Bowl or bust. If he flames out again....cut him.:popcorn: