Dak Prescott playoff stats

blueblood70

Reaction score
No dissertation needed.
I was just talking about different eras in general. I know Aikman specifically had it good in the playoffs.

WAY easier now than even in 2006, let alone 1990 due to all the QB and WR protecting rules, not to mention the QB-friendly passing offesnives

Also the expanded playoffs make for worse teams.
I still say that is way off base, the cowboys are in fact have to play every bit as good of 49ers team is the 90s cowboys did. they are loaded both players and coaches, been our Achilles heel etc.. also taking the fact that the cowboys are almost always playing at home because of how good they were with little competition in the division or conference. This team is playing on the road a lot.. TRoy by far had it much easier..

again, just had to play on this team when it was absolutely stacked. you know like Brock Purdy lol.. they have never once asked troy to carry the team by himself yet Daks being criticized for not being able to overcome the team deficiencies we literally have not shown up in one of these playoff games against the 49erswith a strong line or run game.. ...2018 rams same thing..not on Dak yet Daks being held responsible for pretty much the entire collapse in the playoffs...

DFWJC

Reaction score
I still say that is way off base, the cowboys are in fact have to play every bit as good of 49ers team is the 90s cowboys did. they are loaded both players and coaches, been our Achilles heel etc.. also taking the fact that the cowboys are almost always playing at home because of how good they were with little competition in the division or conference. This team is playing on the road a lot.. TRoy by far had it much easier..

again, just had to play on this team when it was absolutely stacked. you know like Brock Purdy lol.. they have never once asked troy to carry the team by himself yet Daks being criticized for not being able to overcome the team deficiencies we literally have not shown up in one of these playoff games against the 49erswith a strong line or run game.. ...2018 rams same thing..not on Dak yet Daks being held responsible for pretty much the entire collapse in the playoffs...
I've never been in the camp that held Dak responsible.
Team game

Big D

Reaction score
look we watched all the games, most of our problems are along the offensive line and the run game and the coaching and the scheming and all that other stuff it is not the quarterback losing us these games in the playoffs as a matter of fact they all look the same to me we don't have a strong offensive line we not opening holes we don't have a consistent run game we become one-dimensional and you have a team full of making mistakes with penalties and other things it's not on Prescott Prescott didn't commit 14 penalties in the 2021 game he didn't have all the problems stopping teams from running the football and eating time of possession he had no control that he had a one-dimensional offense that was easily stopped by a four man rush and a lot of zone defense that there was nowhere to throw in no time to throw that is a fact...
And defensively it's the same thing. Weak in the worse position possible when it counts.

blueblood70

Reaction score
And defensively it's the same thing. Weak in the worse position possible when it counts.
I don't think this place comprehends how tough it is to play it on A 1 dimensional offense which Prescott has done in most games this year but when you're up against the best teams with the best defenses you can't play well and expect the quarterback to function normally without help... You can get away with this against most teams but you're not getting away with it against the better teams which is already showed without our strong run game defense is stopping people at the right time and the offensive line being pushed back with a four man rush that's a big problem people want to try to cover it up you show me when Troy and Roger ever had to play like that and they had Jimmy and Landry..

The selective memory or the clueless and delusional blindness to the fact that those quarterbacks had it so much better and our current quarterbacks Romo and Prescott gets so much Flack they don't have those teams or advantages...

JBS

Reaction score
Look, the 49ers are Dak and the Cowboys’ roadblock. A lot of people, including myself, won’t believe it until I see it. And all that matters in the end is beating them Jan. 27 or Jan. 28.

But to act like he can’t be completely trusted in the playoffs is just lunacy. He’s a competent performer in the playoffs, and has been since he threw for 300 yards and 3 TDs in his first playoff game.
I know it’s not very likely. But don’t be so quick to pencil in SF in the nfccg. With a little bit of luck , that game will be in Dallas

BusDriver

Reaction score
Troy Aikman had a passer rating of 88.3 with 3,849 yards, 23 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 16 games in the playoffs in his career.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/troy-aikman-playoff-stats
I feel like this + the Brady stat illustrates very well that being a great QB isn’t just about stats, it’s about navigating your team to victory and making critical plays when they absolutely have to be made. You can suck all game, but if it’s one score or tied with 2 min to go you better make some plays and that’s what separated Brady & Aikman … they always helped navigate to a win when it absolutely mattered most.

Reaction score
I feel like this + the Brady stat illustrates very well that being a great QB isn’t just about stats, it’s about navigating your team to victory and making critical plays when they absolutely have to be made. You can suck all game, but if it’s one score or tied with 2 min to go you better make some plays and that’s what separated Brady & Aikman … they always helped navigate to a win when it absolutely mattered most.
and there you have it,,, stats never paint a whole picture, a good percentage of them are padded at the end when teams are playing prevent, etc, they're situational. Bottom line Dak needs to show up when he's needed and deliver a score or a first down, not fold and underperform. Of course that holds true for all the star players on the team, they need to show up for the big games. The time to shine for the front office has come and gone this season, they did some good things but they willingly coasted on the OL and now they're going to pay for it,,, team sitting in the catbird seat, second seed, primed and positioned for success, and they can't freaking run the ball to save their life or keep the middle of the pocket from collapsing.

BusDriver

Reaction score
I've never been in the camp that held Dak responsible.
Team game
Let’s use niners playoff loss as an example … Final drive and you can choose Aikman or Dak … who you sending out to the huddle?

I’m sending Aikman bc his situational awareness is 10x of Dak and there is almost zero chance Troy mismanages the game clock the way Dak did, not to mention he was far more likely to complete tight throws in coverage. Not saying the loss wasn’t on the team, bc it was. Troy’s skill set simply increases the likelihood that one player (him) can help overcome team failures prior to that point and get in a better position to win the game.

Just bc the team failed to win, doesn’t allow individual players to escape individual levels of blame for their individual failures, but then you start splitting hairs so I always come back to the reality, that QB is paid 10x other players and has their hand in almost half of a game plays, so of course they bear a larger burden and hence, a larger piece of blame if you will. Nature of the beast.

DezTroy97

Reaction score
Compared to the average, Dak's numbers look fine.

I wouldn't ever use the 2016 Green Bay game any sort of measure though....
That Green Bay team had the worst-rated pass defense that Dallas has ever faced in their entire playoff history.
QBs were falling out of bed all year and going for 300-400 yards on that group....especially when they were on the road.

I havent looked back over all of history but it might be a guess that last years Tampa teams is one of the worst overall teams we've face in the playoffs.

As always, we rack up stats on the weak
I think that Green Bay defense being bad is counter-balanced by Dak being a rookie in his first playoff game and down 21-3 with people hoping that Romo would get a shot.

DezTroy97

Reaction score
look we watched all the games, most of our problems are along the offensive line and the run game and the coaching and the scheming and all that other stuff it is not the quarterback losing us these games in the playoffs as a matter of fact they all look the same to me we don't have a strong offensive line we not opening holes we don't have a consistent run game we become one-dimensional and you have a team full of making mistakes with penalties and other things it's not on Prescott Prescott didn't commit 14 penalties in the 2021 game he didn't have all the problems stopping teams from running the football and eating time of possession he had no control that he had a one-dimensional offense that was easily stopped by a four man rush and a lot of zone defense that there was nowhere to throw in no time to throw that is a fact...

Great post!

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think that Green Bay defense being bad is counter-balanced by Dak being a rookie in his first playoff game and down 21-3 with people hoping that Romo would get a shot.
21-3 mean soft pass defense even softer

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yeah everybody and his brother knows that no matter how Dak plays, bad, good or great if the Cowboys lose he will get blamed. Nobody is more aware of that than Dak. But he can only control what he can control. Hopefully now that he's had time to digest these last few losses to the 49ers he knows that he needs to do to beat them. I think as long as the game isn't being played in crappy weather like they had in Buffalo and Miami he will be able to do the things he needs to do to win. His connection with CeeDee, Ferg and Cooks are light years ahead of what it was back in October. But nothing he does is going to make the line block any better, Pollard run any harder or the defense stop the run any better. So Dak could got for 350 yards, 3TDs and it still might not be enough to win. Which would be unfortunate but that's the reality. People keep wanting to make it "on him" but the fact of the matter is it's just not..

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Brady was obviously great. BUT…even the GOAT had terrible playoff games. Everyone only remembers the greatness of course but in Brady’s last playoff run to a SB win in 2020, he had a terrible game.

Most forget that in the 2020 NFC championship game when the Bucs played at GB, Brady threw 3 pics that should have cost them the game. His defense bailed him out by stopping the pack at the end of that game. Brady went on to have an excellent SB game, but it was the Buc D that won that NFC championship game.

It always takes a team.
100%, its unrealistic to expect a great game from your QB every game. It does take a team and some great situational football.

Jayinem

Reaction score
Wild card wins=2
Second round wins=0
NFC Champ games=0
SB=0
2-4 overall record

Those are the stats that matter for a billion dollar QB.
Billion dollar? That's a bit of an exaggeration he will make a lot of money but not near a billion.

ArtClink

Reaction score
As Dallas QBs go, Dak and Romo are very much in the same league except Dak has actually won a road playoff game (cue detractors who "claim" Romo always had a terrible defense, etc). Aikman and Staubach however are in a much higher QB class for obvious reasons. If you're not old to have seen Staubach play, then take my word for it, he remains very underrated and he's in the HOF and ROH.

817Gill

Reaction score
2 elite games - GB/Tampa
2 good to average games- Sea/LA
1 below average game- San Fran 2021
1 bad game- San Fran 2022

Unfortunately San Fran is what stands between us and a SB appearance, but you take them out of the picture for a second and Dak has been a good playoff QB.

Need to get over the SF hump though. Think Mike’s playcalling gives us a much better chance than Moore’s. Ask Steve Young lol.