Dak Prescott playoff stats

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Now do Troy Aikman....just curious how he stacks up.
Troy was the same guy in the postseason that he was in the regular season. Just like Dak, just like pretty much every QB. Let me be clear: Troy was great and a worthy HOFer.

The Cowboys won one playoff game with Aikman when they were underdogs, the 1992 NFCCG (the '9ers were favored by 4). They also beat the '9ers in the 1993 NFCCG, with the Cowboys favored by 3.
The Cowboys lost three playoff games with Aikman when they were favorites (1991 Detroit, 1996 Carolina, 1998 Arizona), and he was terrible in all 3 games. Dallas was on the road for the first two, and at home as 7-point favorites against the Cardinals.
In every other postseason game where Aikman played and the Cowboys won, the Cowboys were at least 6.5 point favorites going in.
When he had a historically great team around him ('92-'95), they won and went far. When he didn't (the rest of the time), they got knocked out.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Troy was the same guy in the postseason that he was in the regular season. Just like Dak, just like pretty much every QB. Let me be clear: Troy was great and a worthy HOFer.

The Cowboys won one playoff game with Aikman when they were underdogs, the 1992 NFCCG (the '9ers were favored by 4). They also beat the '9ers in the 1993 NFCCG, with the Cowboys favored by 3.
The Cowboys lost three playoff games with Aikman when they were favorites (1991 Detroit, 1996 Carolina, 1998 Arizona), and he was terrible in all 3 games. Dallas was on the road for the first two, and at home as 7-point favorites against the Cardinals.
In every other postseason game where Aikman played and the Cowboys won, the Cowboys were at least 6.5 point favorites going in.
When he had a historically great team around him ('92-'95), they won and went far. When he didn't (the rest of the time), they got knocked out.
That wasn't Troy.. that was Beurlien. Troy didn't get inserted into that one until the game was already getting away from the Cowboys. I can't remember if they inserted him at the half or just before.. I just know the Cowboys were gittin their tails kicked the whole game. I think Jimmy was trying to hold Troy out so he could come riding in on a white horse and give the team an emotional lift. Obviously it didn't work.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That wasn't Troy.. that was Beurlien. Troy didn't get inserted into that one until the game was already getting away from the Cowboys. I can't remember if they inserted him at the half or just before.. I just know the Cowboys were gittin their tails kicked the whole game. I think Jimmy was trying to hold Troy out so he could come riding in on a white horse and give the team an emotional lift. Obviously it didn't work.
Yes, that's right, thanks. Troy was still pretty bad in that game (1 INT, 3 sacks and 2 fumbles in around 20 total dropbacks).

CWR

Reaction score
Look, the 49ers are Dak and the Cowboys’ roadblock. A lot of people, including myself, won’t believe it until I see it. And all that matters in the end is beating them Jan. 27 or Jan. 28.

But to act like he can’t be completely trusted in the playoffs is just lunacy. He’s a competent performer in the playoffs, and has been since he threw for 300 yards and 3 TDs in his first playoff game.
Yes he's already a better playoff qb than Romo. People act like he's only played the niners.

DallasInDC

Reaction score
I feel like this + the Brady stat illustrates very well that being a great QB isn’t just about stats, it’s about navigating your team to victory and making critical plays when they absolutely have to be made. You can suck all game, but if it’s one score or tied with 2 min to go you better make some plays and that’s what separated Brady & Aikman … they always helped navigate to a win when it absolutely mattered most.
Not to mention having your defense, ST, and coaches step up as well.

DallasInDC

Reaction score

That is something that cannot be overlooked. The 90s Cowboys were one of the most talented teams of all time...up and down the roster. The success of those teams was a collective effort of greatness.

1942willys

Reaction score
It all comes down to the 49rs. We pretty much, baring real good luck, have to go through them to reach the NFCCG.

I remember back in the REAL OLD DAYS when the Cowboys always ran into the Packers in the playoffs and Lombardi edged us every time. Usually ONE SINGLE play decided the game. GB was our bogeymen and to be honest we never really beat them when mattered until the 90's.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
It all comes down to the 49rs. We pretty much, baring real good luck, have to go through them to reach the NFCCG.

I remember back in the REAL OLD DAYS when the Cowboys always ran into the Packers in the playoffs and Lombardi edged us every time. Usually ONE SINGLE play decided the game. GB was our bogeymen and to be honest we never really beat them when mattered until the 90's.
I think you have this wrong. As long as the Cowboys win Sunday and win both their home games in the playoffs after, they would only see the 49ers IN the NFC Championship game. You must have meant to reach the Super Bowl.. and I think I speak for Cowboy fans everywhere when I say it would not bother me one bit to see the 49ers get upset so WE can host that championship game.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Total playoff stats (six games): 63.4 percent completion, 1,559 yards, 11 TDs, 5 INT, 92.3 passer rating

Four playoff games (not against 49ers): 65 percent completion, 1,099 passing yards, 9 TDs, 2 INTs, 107.94 passer rating

Playoff games versus 49ers: 57.5 percent completion, 460 passing yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 66.7 passer rating

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/dak-prescott-postseason-stats
It’s a team game and Dak has certainly upheld his part of the bargain.

plasticman

Reaction score
Troy Aikman had a passer rating of 88.3 with 3,849 yards, 23 touchdowns and 17 interceptions in 16 games in the playoffs in his career.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/troy-aikman-playoff-stats
However, his bad games were limited to the seasons in which they were eliminated at the wildcard or division rounds.

An interesting fact about Troy's playoff stats was that his QB rating improved at each level.

Division: 89.7 (6 games)
Conference: 100.3 (4 games)
Super Bowl 110.9 (3 games)

The bigger the game, the better Troy played.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Total playoff stats (six games): 63.4 percent completion, 1,559 yards, 11 TDs, 5 INT, 92.3 passer rating

Four playoff games (not against 49ers): 65 percent completion, 1,099 passing yards, 9 TDs, 2 INTs, 107.94 passer rating

Playoff games versus 49ers: 57.5 percent completion, 460 passing yards, 2 TDs, 3 INTs, 66.7 passer rating

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/dak-prescott-postseason-stats
At the end of the day typically the QB under the most duress losses.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
However, his bad games were limited to the seasons in which they were eliminated at the wildcard or division rounds.

An interesting fact about Troy's playoff stats was that his QB rating improved at each level.

That's a little misleading.

The four CCGs he played in were against teams that were clearly better than the teams the AFC put up in the Super Bowl.
The Cowboys were favored by 6.5, 10.5 and 13.5 in their three Super Bowls.
In the CCGs, they were underdogs twice, by 4 and 7.5 points, and favored twice, by 3 and 9 points.
And the division games include the years outside '92-'95 when the Cowboys just weren't that great and got knocked off. Yes, Troy was pretty bad in those games, but the lesser surrounding cast was a big part of those results.

TL;DR: That progression makes sense because only the historically great Cowboys teams reached the CCGs and SBs, and the CCG opponents were stronger than the SB opponents.

Kwyn

Reaction score
And in 2023 it would be 110 rating, 35 and 8....lol
Cannot dream of comparing even Romo era to now, let alone 1990s
Must time-adjust QB stats.....always
What does this even mean? How do you “time adjust” something like interceptions?

Kwyn

Reaction score

And … the better the team, the better they played.

I loved Troy and still do but let’s not forget how ridiculously stacked those SB teams were. It was crazy.

Flamma

Reaction score
there is so much that goes into the success of a QB and so much that goes into lack of it. Unlike many on this board would have you think he had help in both his successes and failures.

TEAM GAME
Of course. When you have the better team, your stats are going to look better than when you play better teams than you. People just throw up stats like everything is equal. Far from it. So far with Dak at QB the Cowboys have beaten the playoff teams they were expected to beat. Lost to the better teams. The 2016 team is debatable. That Packers team was very good too.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
So weird.

Troy is diminished for Dak because his stats are worse and he had a stacked team so that’s why he won the SB.

Romo is diminished for Dak because he had just as good (if not better) teams than Dak and his stats are comparable.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I'm sorry dude but you're barking up the wrong tree aikman had 100% a better offensive line a better run game a better coaching staff and most of the time a better defense he didn't have to play one-dimensional football in the playoffs so stop trying to convert errors and let's be honest Troy Aikman didn't do this alone nor was he the heartbeat of this team you put Prescott or Romo on those 90s or 70s teams and they don't miss a beat that is how good they are it's not their fault that they have one-dimensional football or other players around them are making mistakes that Troy and Rogers team did not make...

And yet with the gifted team Troy and Roger and even Danny white made so many more mistakes and yes all the interceptions matter they all were mistakes the touchdown interception ratios matter I don't care what year you're in Troy was a literal bus driver 75% of his career in Dallas because the heartbeat of the team was that offensive line and Emmitt Smith and then the defense and special teams did their job that is what a team looks like that is how you win a championship so don't give me this nonsense about era because I'm sick of hearing about it right now let's discuss Prescott having to play without a run game and with a shaky offensive line and he had some of the worst coaching Staffs if you comparing the Landry and Jimmy we he had Garrett most of this time but right now he's missing a championship run game offensive line and defense... Has been most of his career unless your head's been under a Rock You show me where he's had an Emmett Smith like performance from the run game and then him not doing anything in that game no Prescott and Romo have stepped up in every single game they got some support around them they win those games just like Troy just like Roger you give them something and they will make it happen..

But around here the last three playoff losses there's no run game whatsoever the offensive line is being shoved back into the backfield by the 49ers with a four man rush and there's still no time and there's nobody to throw to you because they're able to play maximum zone on the back end there's no separation we have one weapon and CD lamb and everybody else is covered..

If you try to respond that anything that I said is untrue then you truly are a hater and you have no understanding of the game of football when it comes to the team aspect right now Prescott and Romo have been so far behind what Troy and Roger had in their careers so let's just keep it right there...
**POST OF THIS FRANCHISE'S HISTORY!!!**

:hammer: :clap::hammer: