Dak Prescott vs. Tony Romo

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Romo's Full Concession Speech Transcript

You are 100% correct. Romo did state:

"You see football is a meritocracy. You aren’t handed anything. You earn everything every single day single day, over and over again. You have to prove it. That’s the way that the NFL, that’s the way that football works. A great example of this is Dak Prescott and what he’s done. He’s earned the right to be our quarterback. As hard as that is for me to say, he’s earned that right. He’s guided our team to an 8-1 record, and that’s hard to do."

However, Romo's speech was quite lengthy. He also stated:

"If you think for a second that I don’t want to be out there, then you’ve probably never felt the pure ecstasy of competing and winning. That hasn’t left me. In fact it may burn more now than ever."

<snip>

"And all the while your desire burns to be the best you’ve ever been. You can be both. I have figured that out in this process. It's what separates sports from everything else. It's why we love it. It's why we trust it. It's why I still want to play and compete."

Just saying Romo's concession speech, which included stating Prescott earned the starting position, was much more in context than simple concession.
Well the thing is Romo never got a chance to compete for his job , IMO he should have been given a couple of games, when they were at 8-1
to see how he did with that team, and having elliot. They had a big lead, and chances are at worse Tony would have gone 1-1 , and then they could properly evaluate Tony and Dak. And then use that to see who they wanted to start in the rest of the games.
I was a big dak fan, starting in PS, I had the QB competition thread where I got blasted for suggesting Dak could be the starter for the cowboys.
I was on the Dak train once tony got hurt, but later on I wanted to see Tony play again once he was ready in week 10 or so.
But he only got the brief appearance in the last game , and looked good, but that wasnt enough.
I still think Tony might have beat GB, as he matched up better with them than Dak did.
But I am ok with dak at qb, he is lacking in areas, but he is all we have for the near future, and he has his good points too.

Back in 2016 I got the impression that most of the players liked Dak better than Tony, and they would play better for Dak than they might Tony.
Dez though wanted Tony back.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I think Romo should have came back in 2017 and wanted to compete for his job. Just to put the pressure on the FO and JG. If at that point they refused I would have to think about another team if I still wanted to truly compete.
Sounds about right, Dak's winning streak didn't matter to you, the team's success didn't matter to you, all that mattered to you was Romo playing. What you want matters more than what is best for the team. I'm glad Tony saw what was going on and made the RIGHT decision to step away.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
I will agree that a Healthy Tony Romo in 2014 (in his 12th year in the NFL) >>> Dak Prescott 2016-2018.

On the other hand, Dak Prescott 2016-2018 >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tony Romo 2003-2005.

In Tony's 5th, 6th, and 7th seasons in the NFL, he had a record of 33-12, and 1-2 in the playoffs. That was Tony's best 3 year stretch, which included 3 games missed due to injury (all losses). In Dak's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd years in the NFL, he had a record of 32-16 and 1-2 in the playoffs.

Ask me in another 9 years which QB I think has been better... At the very least, ask me after Dak's 7th year.

Last edited:

glimmerman

Reaction score
Sounds about right, Dak's winning streak didn't matter to you, the team's success didn't matter to you, all that mattered to you was Romo playing. What you want matters more than what is best for the team. I'm glad Tony saw what was going on and made the RIGHT decision to step away.
Lmao. No if Romo still wanted to play in the NFL. He could have asked to compete for his job the next year. He wanted a chance then and they said no because of the winning streak. He apparently only wanted to play for us. I am not a Romoholic. But I appreciate everything he did for this team.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Lmao. No if Romo still wanted to play in the NFL. He could have asked to compete for his job the next year. He wanted a chance then and they said no because of the winning streak. He apparently only wanted to play for us. I am not a Romoholic. But I appreciate everything he did for this team.
He asked to compete for the job and was denied. That's all we need to know. I appreciate everything he did for the team too but let's not reinvent history. It took Dak one season to take the team as far as Romo ever did.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I have looked for his style and haven't seen it recently. I loved his "afraid or scared" threads..

Right after the move over here there was a poster that used his style, a name similar to his last sock account and the Steve Austin user image that he had made so famous, but I didn't see him for very long. I know his original 43Harris43 got banned eventually even back at DC.com, but he returned on a couple of others and loved getting people in trouble for calling him out as Harris. I admit I had a bit of fun figuring it out. I even needled him enough in one thread to admit it once.

You could never miss his form. It was usually fast complete thoughts in single sentences, as you said talking about being scared of either the impending defeat or how another East team had well and fully passed the Cowboys in talent, especially the Giants. It was very much the small town amateur sportswriter style. I see a lot of that in the Alabama press.

But, yeah, he's gone. He's really too obvious to miss, so it's hard for him to keep his act up on here. I appreciated the amusement. The few times he got real and admitted he was a troll were usually fun.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I am a huge fan of Tony Romo, AND a big fan of Dak Prescott. And I honestly believe that most Cowboys fans love both players, and are sick and tired of the verbal snipers who try to force us to choose one or the other. I choose BOTH. I refuse to be drawn into the argument of who is better. Tony's time was great for fans, and now it is Dak's time.

Tony was better for some things and Dak was better for others. By whatever overall metrics a person has, one guy will be better, but that's largely a function of your overall metrics than the players themselves, and particularly, the time frame you're talking about.

Dak hasn't yet touched the level of Tony's play in 2014. But Tony didn't touch that for a decade either.

That last time it mattered who was better was in 2016. I would have gone with Tony in 2016 because we had already paid for the year, but would have moved onto Dak in 2017 to save cap unless Tony was playing up to or near the 2014 level.

Talking about who is better is fine unless you're talking to an immature, hysterical fan boy. Too many get weird about criticisms of their favorite players like someone called their daughter an ugly skank.

Tony and Dak don't need us to protect their honor from ill informed fan opinion. They're not our homeboys. They're not family. And they're not harmed a whit by what any of us say here. The world is full of people with wrong opinions. (Except me, naturally.) Relax, fanboys. Have fun with the arguing, but don't burst a blood vessel getting worked up over it. That doesn't help anyone, even your hero.

Blake

Reaction score
Some of Romo’s negatives are well-documented. He has a record of 12-18 in games played during December and January. He is 0-3 in regular season finale games in which a win would put the Cowboys into the playoffs and a loss would send them home until the following season. On top of all that, he is 1-3 during the playoffs. That is one playoff victory in eight seasons while leading a franchise that previously had become synonymous with post-season success.

http://www.numericsports.com/2013/12/17/its-time-to-stop-apologizing-for-tony-romo/

Dak is better than Romo and it's not even close. People call Wonderboy the new John Madden, but Madden is a champion and Hall of Famer for being a clutch coach that doesn't fold in December - so that comparison doesn't work either.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
STOP
STOP IT! Leave this topic alone. Too many haters of Dak to even make this a fair comparison. Dak has just 3 seasons under his belt compared to Tony's entire career. There is no fair comparison to be made for either player.

You can compare them in an infinite number of fair ways. Obviously, any comparisons of their entire careers would have to be largely a hypothetical projection of Dak's career.

You're just getting emotional. And delusional. The percentage of "haters of Dak" are probably vanishingly small here. There's nothing to hate about the guy, particularly from a Cowboy's fan's perspective. Projecting hatred onto others who simply don't value Dak as highly as you do is just the kind of hysterical fanboyism I was talking about. Let it go.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Well the thing is Romo never got a chance to compete for his job , IMO he should have been given a couple of games, when they were at 8-1
to see how he did with that team, and having elliot. They had a big lead, and chances are at worse Tony would have gone 1-1 , and then they could properly evaluate Tony and Dak. And then use that to see who they wanted to start in the rest of the games.
I was a big dak fan, starting in PS, I had the QB competition thread where I got blasted for suggesting Dak could be the starter for the cowboys.
I was on the Dak train once tony got hurt, but later on I wanted to see Tony play again once he was ready in week 10 or so.
But he only got the brief appearance in the last game , and looked good, but that wasnt enough.
I still think Tony might have beat GB, as he matched up better with them than Dak did.
But I am ok with dak at qb, he is lacking in areas, but he is all we have for the near future, and he has his good points too.

Back in 2016 I got the impression that most of the players liked Dak better than Tony, and they would play better for Dak than they might Tony.
Dez though wanted Tony back.
I’m glad no one listened to you. Dak ended up having the best EVER rookie year for a QB in the NFL. EVER.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
You can compare them in an infinite number of fair ways. Obviously, any comparisons of their entire careers would have to be largely a hypothetical projection of Dak's career.

You're just getting emotional. And delusional. The percentage of "haters of Dak" are probably vanishingly small here. There's nothing to hate about the guy, particularly from a Cowboy's fan's perspective. Projecting hatred onto others who simply don't value Dak as highly as you do is just the kind of hysterical fanboyism I was talking about. Let it go.
This place is crawling with Dak haters who are you trying to kid.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Isn't that nice. :p You keep telling yourself that. :laugh::lmao::lmao2::muttley:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
th

Still waiting on #6. That's all I know. Doesn't matter who the QB is.

erod

Reaction score
I think Romo should have came back in 2017 and wanted to compete for his job. Just to put the pressure on the FO and JG. If at that point they refused I would have to think about another team if I still wanted to truly compete.
He did, but they released him. Then CBS offered him $5 million a year to be the No. 1 color guy with Jim Nantz. He's proving to be just as good at that as he was a QB. In fact, he just renegotiated his CBS deal for twice the pay.

Beautiful family, two young kids, $150 million the bank, perfect job offer, don't have to move to a different city, broken body via Jerry....pretty easy decision.

erod

Reaction score
can you elaborate on this? I dont know much about why don left, I thought maybe landry told him morton was going to be the starter in 69.
Don was pulled in the 68 playoff game with the browns, landry put morton in and they still lost and were inept on offense in that game.
Landry and the city treated Meredith poorly during those days.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
Landry and the city treated Meredith poorly during those days.
I guess he was blamed for the losses. In 68 I think dallas scored more points than any other team lol then got shut down
in the cleveland game. The pass rush by the browns was unreal, like our OL either had hangovers, or were just really bad.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Both QB's can be praised or trashed depending upon one's desire to do so. There are plenty of examples to support either narrative.