Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Respectfully understood. Many feel like you. Dak is not going anywhere. I'm sure you understand this. So what are you going to do?
We can continue to call it out much like fans do with Jerry, Garrett and any component they see or feel is not part of the solution.

diefree666

Reaction score
2016 was the perfect storm. Few injuries, etc.

It's rare that a NFL team has seasons like that. And that's the problem............... if your QB can only succeed when everything is perfect around him, you have an issue at QB. That's just reality. His OL has not been nearly as bad as you claim. And as has been pointed out and shown, he's missing WRs that are open. He's just not playing well and we are reaching the point there what he did in 2016 is meaningless and could simply be a lightning in a bottle type season.

Prescott wouldn't be the first QB to have one really great season and the rest are just blah.
the 2016 season is like the 2007 season- it was NOT the start of something great but a happenstance of things going just right during the regular season and falling apart in post season.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
I think the majority of cowboys fans on this forum really wanted Dak to be a success. He is a decent guy and from what i understand well liked in the organisation. However he is a very limited QB. I look at his play and realise he just doesn't have the skill set needed by a top level NFL QB which can elevate a team to potential superbowl calibre.
Dallas must now think of moving on, although i realise a new HC would be necessary as well.
I just hope the jones boys sitting and watching the texans take state bragging rites, sharpens their minds.

Rayman70

Reaction score
2016 was the perfect storm. Few injuries, etc.

It's rare that a NFL team has seasons like that. And that's the problem............... if your QB can only succeed when everything is perfect around him, you have an issue at QB. That's just reality. His OL has not been nearly as bad as you claim. And as has been pointed out and shown, he's missing WRs that are open. He's just not playing well and we are reaching the point there what he did in 2016 is meaningless and could simply be a lightning in a bottle type season.

Prescott wouldn't be the first QB to have one really great season and the rest are just blah.
I dunno but here is what I do know. We are very bad at wr. We can all agree on that. We are mediocre at best on the oline. We agree on that.We agree I think that GARRETT HAS TO GO. I also think we can agree that this defense is starting to look elite and getting better each week. I think we agree that the tightend group looked very good last night. LVE looks like a stud as does all of our linebackers. We agree this woods and ross kid look awesome. So we do have much to look forward to. NOW IF WE CAN GET GARRETT OUT OF THE WAY,that may actually help Dak short term. That would be a start.

zeke21

Reaction score
I think some ppl don't watch enough non cowboy games to see what good QB play looks like. Watch Chiefs, Vikings is awesome but Browns, Jets also doing great things and Rams are up and about. They all share the same thing.. a great QB who can make all the throws. I mean these guys are taking FULL advantage of the new NFL rules and making defences hurt.. they are dropping dimes all over the field.

We celebrate a broken play that Dak stumbles, evades and tosses a ball up school yard style and for once we actually came down with it.. that is exceptional to watch as a highlight and I'm happy it worked out but that shouldn't be used as an example of why Dak is a good QB.

I suggest watching tape of all NFL teams and see what these QB's are doing, now they know they can't be hit and their receivers can't be touched..

Put a healthy Romo in this team.. or any talented QB and we are probably 5-0 right now on the strength of Zeke and our Defence.

Sydla

Reaction score
NFL wr must catch those balls,period. Do you think Hopkins would have? THATS MY POINT. The wideouts were always going to be the issue this year.Dunno why this is surprising anyone that Dak doesn't look good. He's only as good as the HC,OLINE and cast at wr. We lack the firepower on offense.

See the problem is you view this is as an either/or type situation. It's either Dak stinks or the WRs stink.

Unfortunately, there's a third possibility........... that both the QB and WRs aren't good enough.

Think about what you are saying............. Dak can only be good if he has a really good HC, OL and WRs............. that's a giant neon sign screaming your QB isn't good enough.

dfense

Reaction score
Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

• By Sam Quinn
  • 2h ago • 2 min read
Some day, historians are going to look at the Week 5 loss that the Dallas Cowboys sustained against the Houston Texans and think that Dak Prescott played a bad game. The evidence is there. The Cowboys scored only 16 points. Prescott threw two interceptions and gained only 208 yards through the air. His quarterback rating was 66.4. Based on his poor play in the four weeks prior, it wouldn't be a stretch to just tack one extra bad game onto his ledger. And that is a shame, because for once, Prescott was not remotely the problem against the Texans.

Those two interceptions Prescott threw? Both tipped... by his own receivers. Granted, they weren't perfect throws, but most throws aren't. It is reasonable for a quarterback to expect his receivers to be able to, you know, stretch. Prescott didn't throw those balls 10 yards over their heads. He missed slightly. But when you miss at all with this group of Cowboys receivers, you miss entirely.

Speaking of missing, Prescott made the Texans do quite a bit of that. He was pressured relentlessly in this game, but he was sacked only twice. He escaped perhaps half a dozen sacks based on nothing more than body control and athleticism.

(Continue reading):

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/dak-prescott-wasnt-the-problem-against-the-houston-texans/
It's not stats, it's not scheme, and it's not totally coaching. Teams attack the Cowboys differently than other teams because they know Dak's limitations. He telegraphs his throws with his wind up. In the NFL, that split second added to your delivery can kill you. He has zero touch on his passes. See that last pass by Watson? A soft accurate floater my little sister could catch. Dak would rifle that pass, probably over the receivers head. Once he starts getting pressured, he starts dancing. He never ever, for any reason, ever steps up in the pocket. He looks to break containment. Almost all his catch-able passes to the sideline yesterday were low, ankle shots. He never hits people in stride. It's all comeback routes where the receiver is hardly moving and he can aim his throw. Even his quick passes behind the line of scrimmage are low and short. He is what he is. His game management may have improved slightly in the last 2 years, but that's it. That tired excuse of what about 2016 doesn't fly anymore. RG3 had a rookie of the year first season to.

When behind center, looks at a blitzer and yells a bunch of nonsense, but nobody picks that guy up. Whats he saying? Is he changing the play? If he is, why does he then hold the ball forever? What most people see as bad coaching, can also be seen as they are desperately trying to hide Dak's flaws, his tendencies. What really sucks is with just above average QB play, the Cowboys probably win that game last night.

If it's all coaching, you can bet the house, the next coach they bring in will be looking to replace Dak, or he wont take the job.

Dak is a great backup. That's his future.

With the 5th pick in the 2019 draft. The Dallas Cowboys select Justin Herbert QB Oregon

Rayman70

Reaction score
See the problem is you view this is as an either/or type situation. It's either Dak stinks or the WRs stink.

Unfortunately, there's a third possibility........... that both the QB and WRs aren't good enough.

Think about what you are saying............. Dak can only be good if he has a really good HC, OL and WRs............. that's a giant neon sign screaming your QB isn't good enough.
did those passes hit the wideouts in both hands?

Sydla

Reaction score
I dunno but here is what I do know. We are very bad at wr. We can all agree on that. We are mediocre at best on the oline. We agree on that.We agree I think that GARRETT HAS TO GO. I also think we can agree that this defense is starting to look elite and getting better each week. I think we agree that the tightend group looked very good last night. LVE looks like a stud as does all of our linebackers. We agree this woods and ross kid look awesome. So we do have much to look forward to. NOW IF WE CAN GET GARRETT OUT OF THE WAY,that may actually help Dak short term. That would be a start.

Garrett out of the way would be a big plus.

But unfortunately, I think they also need another QB with a higher ceiling than Prescott. I fear they will waste another couple of years on something that is becoming more and more obvious by the game.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Is it much to ask for a highly paid,by our standards...wr to catch a pass that hits them in the hands,altho its not a perfect pass? Whats that say about the wr if the pass needs to be perfect? It goes both ways.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Garrett out of the way would be a big plus.

But unfortunately, I think they also need another QB with a higher ceiling than Prescott. I fear they will waste another couple of years on something that is becoming more and more obvious by the game.
Gawd I hope not

Sydla

Reaction score
did those passes hit the wideouts in both hands?

The Thompson one did not. The defender was able to stick his hand in there and knock the ball down. So that's not an accurate throw.

And the one to Austin did hit Austin in the hands but Austin had to stretch out when he was running a deep in and was wide open. So knock Austin if you want, but the pass also wasn't very good. I think you are so in the tank for Prescott that you are struggling to admit some realities here.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally I think that it is crazy to say that Dak was not the problem.
At the very least he was a big part of the Problem.

But even if you don't think he was part of the problem...I don't think any one can be honest with themselves and believe that he is part of the solution for this team going forward with how he has played last year and this year.

People need to forget his rookie year.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I think Dak could be a serviceable QB elsewhere. He will never be anything here with this coaching staff.

Rayman70

Reaction score

Dak was very good in 2016 and half of last year..until that Atlanta game. Never been himself since. Now,whats worse is his supporting cast and a HC who is feckless and leads from behind.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it’s fairly obvious we are lacking playmakers on offense. Our recievers look like just a bunch of Jags we call recieving Corp by committee.

Unfortunately though much like we saw last year when Elliott went out is we don’t have a QB which can overcome. Dak makes some plays to extend but not enough.

Is that all his fault. Of course not. I think the bigger question; is he part of the solution?

Is he enough to continue building around? He had much more talent last year and the results were similar.

If this is what Jethro and Son want and is intent on pushing forward much like he has with Garrett then be prepared to take on the criticism with less success.

At some point the further we distance ourselves from his Rookie season it might become more difficult defending a bottom tier offense and below average QB rated 25th and 26th heading into last nights game.

An offense which is least productive since Campo era and Quincy Carter on the verge of setting futility marks in scoring. This is becoming a low point this era offensively and in Cowboys history.

Last edited:

Rayman70

Reaction score

But even if you don't think he was part of the problem...I don't think any one can be honest with themselves and believe that he is part of the solution for this team going forward with how he has played last year and this year.

forget his rookie year? why? He was nearly unstoppable that year. Yes..something clearly is wrong with the way he processes info and makes his reads,I give you that,but don't you think its logical to put it into perspective? He has lost a ton of his quality cast around him. He is who he is...a Donovan McNabb type guy.He has to find a guy he can trust before getting on a rhythm. He has no one right now...MAYBE SWAIM lol

Sydla

Reaction score

Fans tend to struggle with two things......... realities with a head coach and QB.

And the reason for that is that most fans understand that finding a big time QB and/or head coach isn't easy and can often result in years of frustration. So some fans, just give their coach or their QB a ton of rope on the hopes that the glimmers of good QB play or good coaching becomes the norm. Often times, it does not. What you see is what you get.

Jerry seems to be that kind of "fan", frankly. I think he bases his decisions on keeping a guy like Garrett around based on some small snippets (2014 and 2016) of quality coaching thinking that will eventually be the norm for Garrett. And I fear he's going to do the same with Prescott.

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak was very good in 2016 and half of last year..until that Atlanta game. Never been himself since. Now,whats worse is his supporting cast and a HC who is feckless and leads from behind.

You won't get an argument from me on Garrett.

But I am coming to the reality that they need a new QB sooner, rather than later.