Dak Prescott wasn't the problem against the Houston Texans

aaev84

Reaction score
How many other teams would want our WRs, none since they were cut from other teams and not even good teams or traded to us for a ham sandwich.
Hmmm. So have Dallas give dak a 100mm+ contract and leave a devoid of talent/just always blame everyone else. Good QBs (100mm dollar) are able to still perform in spite of their surrounding talent. WR numbers were considerably down last year. The scapegoat got released. This year it's even worse. How much longer will the finger be pointed at everyone else? QB is the hub. Dallas has a poor hub.

Carter

Reaction score
He wasnt the only Problem but was for sure one of the biggest reasons besides the Playcalling from last century and Receivers that couldnt catch a Cold.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Too say its all on Linehan is silly. Dak routinely on 1st and 2nd down faces stacked boxes meaning 1 on 1 on the outside but he refuses to consistently attack 1 on 1 coverage. Often we see defenses put 10 men within 5 yrds of the LOS. Dak has to make defenses pay for those looks but he cannot consistently. The all 22 proves that defenses do not respect our passing game. Its Daks responsibility to get us in plays that have a chance to succeed and yet he routinely does not. Why, because he does not trust his own ability. he is risk adverse to a fault. When you have a QB that refuses to make the proper checks at the LOS the defense simply can smother the offense which is exactly what is taking place.

Ummm look carefully. When we have stack boxes we use 2 TE formations and we pull in receivers closer to the LOS for blocking. Thus we have hardly anyone running out for a pass and the Texans capitalized on it by shooting men up the gaps.

Secondly, we had stack boxes then we should use a play action. We need to use more slants, and routes that are harder to defend. All we do is run curl routes.

So yes Linehan is the main culprit. He has no clue on how to call a good game and should be fired IMMEDIATELY!

Romotil45

Reaction score
Ummm look carefully. When we have stack boxes we use 2 TE formations and we pull in receivers closer to the LOS for blocking. Thus we have hardly anyone running out for a pass and the Texans capitalized on it by shooting men up the gaps.

Secondly, we had stack boxes then we should use a play action. We need to use more slants, and routes that are harder to defend. All we do is run curl routes.

So yes Linehan is the main culprit. He has no clue on how to call a good game and should be fired IMMEDIATELY!

Im not a Linehan homer. I don't care fire him. Dak doesn't make the correct checks to attack the defense. Linehan is not on the field Dak is ! 3rd yr QBs should know how to check out of bad plays Dak doesn't consistently its that simple.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
None of those guys are going to be able to help Dak make the correct checks in a game. He has to first recognize 1 on 1 coverage on the outside and have the balls to check to the appropriate play to attack it. He doesn't consistently do this. Yet Mahomes does. Sure our receiving core is not ideal however Dak in his third year should now be able to read defenses and know how to attack them but he doesn't.

Mahomes also has a good coach that is an amazing playcaller. He is also surrounded by talent. Name me one talented receiver or TE that Dallas has compared to Kansas City?

We also had receivers and they dropped it. So they didn't do Dak any favors.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Im not a Linehan homer. I don't care fire him. Dak doesn't make the correct checks to attack the defense. Linehan is not on the field Dak is ! 3rd yr QBs should know how to check out of bad plays Dak doesn't consistently its that simple.

Check to who? Like I said no one was really open as you would think. Most of our formation came out of the 2 TE set. Most of them stayed back to block and still the Texans applied heavy pressure.

Linehan sucks. His playcalling was a major factor on our lose.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Mahomes also has a good coach that is an amazing playcaller. He is also surrounded by talent. Name me one talented receiver or TE that Dallas has compared to Kansas City?

We also had receivers and they dropped it. So they didn't do Dak any favors.

Mahomes would make our recievers look better than Dak. Dak is a receiver killer. Franchise QBs make the players around them better Dak does not.

Romotil45

Reaction score
Check to who? Like I said no one was really open as you would think. Most of our formation came out of the 2 TE set. Most of them stayed back to block and still the Texans applied heavy pressure.

Linehan sucks. His playcalling was a major factor on our lose.

No one was screaming fire Linehan in 16' what changed ? Fire him I don't care. Dak still sucks.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Mahomes would make our recievers look better than Dak. Dak is a receiver killer. Franchise QBs make the players around them better Dak does not.

Of course, he would but he would still run the same, vanilla offense we see now. Im betting he'll come back down to earth in Dallas. Just look at Alex Smith. He doesn't seem to be playing like he did Kansas City. No talent and bad playcalling adds up to the results you see on the field.

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
Hmmm. So have Dallas give dak a 100mm+ contract and leave a devoid of talent/just always blame everyone else. Good QBs (100mm dollar) are able to still perform in spite of their surrounding talent. WR numbers were considerably down last year. The scapegoat got released. This year it's even worse. How much longer will the finger be pointed everyone else? QB is the hub. Dallas has a poor hub.
Dak doesn't make $100 million and if we did have a QB making that much is this really the talent you want around him, these are really the guys that will be playmakers on this team? I also wouldn't trust this staff to develop a young QB, they already wasted Romo's career. Romo at least had the benefit of learning under a different coach. If we had Goff on this team, he would not look anything like the McVay Goff, he would look like the Fisher Goff.

Thompson is on his 3rd team in 2 seasons. He was cut from the Bears and Bills last season, despite them both having among the worst, if not the two worst, WR corps in the league last year, but he was somehow our first WR signed in FA. Hurns was cut by the Jags, who opted to go with a couple of unproven rookies instead. Yeah he had that one good season 3 years ago, but has never replicated that or come close before or since. Tavon looked great 6 years ago....in college and reduced down to gadget guy in the pros, even McVay couldn't find a use for him and were willing to eat half his salary and trade him for a 6th rd pick. While with the Rams the QB rating was 20 points lower when throwing to him than literally any other WR on their teams and they had some bad ones. Gallup is a rook and still learning the NFL game. so there's still hope there. TWill...... well is still TWill and is on IR. Beasley is pretty much it for any type of quality WR.

Outside of Beasley and Gallup, due to being a rook, the rest of our great WRs would struggle to make any other team's roster, much less see significant playing time.

And the hub is the coaching. Too many of the same issues then as now.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
The "welp, if the receiver touched it he should catch it" mantra is simply regurgitated nonsense.

There is a symbiotic relationship between a QB and WR in which "success" is primarily driven by the quarterback.

Receivers have to catch the ball the QBs throw, but the WRs ability to perform his job is heavily predicated first on how well QB does his.

Dak flat-out sailed that pass to Austin when he had more than enough time (relatively speaking) to make an accurate throw. A good NFL-caliber QB makes that throw on target.

What are folks watching? What is the disconnect with some that they can't process what's happening?

Dak is not a consistently accurate passer. End of story.

Off memory last week against the Lions he sails an easy TD over both Swaim AND Gallup in the end zone. Early in the year he misses a wide open Gathers on a gimmie TD. We also all remember him throwing behind Gallup on short crossing route that would have gone for big yardage, as well as him missing Swaim (or was it Jarwin?) Up the seam.

We still have folks on this board that want to treat Dak as one of the new young great crop of QBs. I get that. Buy the reality is he's not that guy. He's a gamer type that can make a play and hopefully you win if he manages the game right completing some timely throws. All of the up and coming talent at the QB position in league are proficient at throwing the football. Dak isn't.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Tavon flat dropped a decent pass...tipped it,and it got intercepted. On another by Thompson...I think it was a hook route,same thing. Hit the dude in the hands,defender got his hand on the ball,tipped it up...etc. Dak did his job. The receivers are hot garbage. On a good note, I love what the tightend group is doing. I saw them get use perfectly in this game. They all did a solid job. The wideouts had a rough game. The oline was shabby at times. We need to give Rishard Matthews a call.We are a 7-9 team with this bunch of dogs at wr.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
It was quite obvious that Houston's defense was all in on stopping Elliott. Zeke did everything he could.
There is absolutely NO RESPECT from opposing defenses when it comes to Dallas' passing game.
This places way too much pressure on the offensive line.
Yes, this receiving corps to me is the WORST in team history. PATHETIC!
However, DAK PRESCOTT CANNOT THROW THE FOOTBALL!
He is an over glorified Quincy Carter.

Romo made guys like Laurent Robinson and Patrick Crayton look like bonafide NFL receivers. Romo will be primarily responsible putting Jason Witten in the Hall of Fame. Only Aikman threw the football more accurately in Cowboys history.

Is Prescott primarily responsible for this loss? You bet your sweet bippie!
And in all the many yards that Romo had he still failed in the playoffs. Aikman on the other hand excelled. Guys just want stats and could care less about the wins and that is sad because wins are what matters.

Rayman70

Reaction score
The "welp, if the receiver touched it he should catch it" mantra is simply regurgitated nonsense.

There is a symbiotic relationship between a QB and WR in which "success" is primarily driven by the quarterback.

Receivers have to catch the ball the QBs throw, but the WRs ability to perform his job is heavily predicated first on how well QB does his.

Dak flat-out sailed that pass to Austin when he had more than enough time (relatively speaking) to make an accurate throw. A good NFL-caliber QB makes that throw on target.

What are folks watching? What is the disconnect with some that they can't process what's happening?

Dak is not a consistently accurate passer. End of story.

Off memory last week against the Lions he sails an easy TD over both Swaim AND Gallup in the end zone. Early in the year he misses a wide open Gathers on a gimmie TD. We also all remember him throwing behind Gallup on short crossing route that would have gone for big yardage, as well as him missing Swaim (or was it Jarwin?) Up the seam.

We still have folks on this board that want to treat Dak as one of the new young great crop of QBs. I get that. Buy the reality is he's not that guy. He's a gamer type that can make a play and hopefully you win if he manages the game right completing some timely throws. All of the up and coming talent at the QB position in league are proficient at throwing the football. Dak isn't.
nope...on one,the defender made a nice play on the ball actually. So kudos to him. BUT on that play Thompson didn't exactly do a good job positioning himself. Dak put it on him good enough..it was tipped up...so hey. On that crossing pattern to Tavon,thats 90% on him. NOT DAK. Yes he could have thrown a better ball...but the dude had guys hanging all over once again all night. He did good to see him at all. SOMETIMES the wideouts just need to step up. THEY DID NOT. I love how the tightend group looked tonight. That's a huge positive. Linehan did well getting them involved.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
None of those guys are going to be able to help Dak make the correct checks in a game. He has to first recognize 1 on 1 coverage on the outside and have the balls to check to the appropriate play to attack it. He doesn't consistently do this. Yet Mahomes does. Sure our receiving core is not ideal however Dak in his third year should now be able to read defenses and know how to attack them but he doesn't.
Stop with the Mahomes comparisons, KC has playmakers everywhere on the offense. They are 4 deep at receiver and a top flight TE. You think Mahomes would put up the same stats in this offense......... That's laughable

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Dak
As I've said many times is 1st year bought him 3 years in my book. That said I will wait till the end of the season but at this point I'm not really liking what I see. Right now he looked like an average QB who does well but often misses when it counts.
Good news is @ the way we're going we'll have a top 10 pick it least and we better move up get a good blue chip QB and let him compete.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Stop with the Mahomes comparisons, KC has playmakers everywhere on the offense. They are 4 deep at receiver and a top flight TE. You think Mahomes would put up the same stats in this offense......... That's laughable

If you think those same KC players would be doing the same thing with Dak trying to throw them the ball you're silly.