Dak Prescott

CWR

Reaction score
Why all the hate fellas? Smart player, reads the defense well and has great tools and high character. Senior bowl MVP.

I understand he lost his mom and went down hill, but they are still complimenting his character.

Sound like he needs help with his footwork and some time to be groomed but I'm excited about his potential.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
Why all the hate fellas? Smart player, reads the defense well and has great tools and high character. Senior bowl MVP.

I understand he lost his mom and went down hill, but they are still complimenting his character.

Sound like he needs help with his footwork and some time to be groomed but I'm excited about his potential.

We have some fanidiots who think we are getting Andrew Luck with pick 135. No problem with Dak as a back up. He is not the future of the franchise, but nothing wrong with developing him as a capable back up.

CWR

Reaction score
Dak Prescott QB - 6'2 230 lbs (Mississippi State)

Positives:
Can run when needed, but not an incredible athlete in open field. More of a take it and run guy. A tough QB, can take a hit and pop back up. Incredibly accurate on the short to immediate routes. Always seems to give his receivers a chance, his receivers seemed to drop a TON of balls he put on the money. Played in some really big games against outstanding defenses. Can throw on the run with accuracy. Will deliver the ball in the middle of traffic right on target. Rarely makes a bad mistake.

Negatives:
Dink and dunk type QB, rarely throws downfield. Does not always throw a pretty ball, flutters in the air. Overly conservative. Plays in a very simple one read shotgun system. Gets very panicky under pressure. Holds on to the ball way too long at times, leading to unnecessary sacks.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Actually liked him more then I was expecting too. Not a guy that is going to dominate games or take over, but will not lose a game for you. I really think he has a chance to be a Alex Smith type QB given the right chance. Incredibly accurate, and can run when needed. As a 4th round pick I would certainly take my chance. His ceiling is Alex Smith, his floor is Kellen Moore. Worst case scenario he will be a very solid backup in this league.

Credit to dantheman41.

Macnalty

Reaction score
That accurate statement might not be accurate. Best case he is a great backup IMO which has real value with a mature QB like Romo.

BlueNSilver88

Throwing up the X
Reaction score
Who thought Romo was going to be Romo when we picked him up as an UDFA? I'm sure there were people saying "why we even bothering with this guy"... give dudes some time to develop and grow, who knows what they can turn to.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

I've never seen anything from him to indicate he can be successful in a pro style offense at this level and since he doesn't have the athleticism of a Cam Newton (or even size) his athleticism, which is at best a tick above average for a QB will not be a huge asset.

CWR

Reaction score
I've never seen anything from him to indicate he can be successful in a pro style offense at this level and since he doesn't have the athleticism of a Cam Newton (or even size) his athleticism, which is at best a tick above average for a QB will not be a huge asset.

So specifically you don't think he can make the reads and progressions?

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
Who thought Romo was going to be Romo when we picked him up as an UDFA? I'm sure there were people saying "why we even bothering with this guy"... give dudes some time to develop and grow, who knows what they can turn to.

Exactly. Even if he never is a great QB he can be a guy to step in and win games while the starter is out.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So specifically you don't think he can make the reads and progressions?

correct, but when you're talking about the 135th pick in the draft, it's hard to complain, I just won't be holding my breath waiting for him to be able to run this offense, even in short term relief

KB1122

Reaction score
The best case scenario, IMO, is that Prescott is good enough to start and with a strong surrounding cast gets us to the playoffs where we can lose to the Cam Newtons and Russell Wilsons and Jared Goffs of the world and that will be enough for an overoptimistic Jones family to go with him for 12 years, always telling us year after year how we're just one player away from getting over the hump and being Super Bowl champions.

Which of course is really the worst-case scenario.

The best case scenario is that he's either awesome from day 1 or he flames out quickly.

fortdick

Reaction score
We have some fanidiots who think we are getting Andrew Luck with pick 135. No problem with Dak as a back up. He is not the future of the franchise, but nothing wrong with developing him as a capable back up.

I don't like the pick, but he has tools. Must be something they saw. Maybe we can get a future franchise QB on the cheap. I have heard of it happening.

fortdick

Reaction score
The best case scenario, IMO, is that Prescott is good enough to start and with a strong surrounding cast gets us to the playoffs where we can lose to the Cam Newtons and Russell Wilsons and Jared Goffs of the world and that will be enough for an overoptimistic Jones family to go with him for 12 years, always telling us year after year how we're just one player away from getting over the hump and being Super Bowl champions.

Which of course is really the worst-case scenario.

The best case scenario is that he's either awesome from day 1 or he flames out quickly.

God help, that we never lose to Cam Newton! Wilson is a great person and I hope he comes in second every year. I hope Newton gets swallowed by ThroatZilla!

Ken

Reaction score

I agree.

I said it on the day and moments after Russell Wilson was drafted...he would be better than RG Knee.

I have already said that Dak reminds me very much of Russell. Only difference is Dak is probably a better runner if you can believe that!

When you factor in Dak's leadership, build (3 inches bigger and about 10-15 lbs heavier) and similar arm strength, it is amazing he lasted until the end of the 4th. Russell went 3rd round, 75th pick. If not for the DUI, Dak probably would have went the same place in the draft.

I am just amazed we have this guy and it helps us now because I believe he can come in and win games if Romo goes down and it helps us int he future potentially if he polishes his game and can take the reigns.

We had a GREAT draft for both now and into the future!

fishspill

Reaction score
He's probably a McGee based on getting picked at the 4/5 junction. He could surprise and give us some Wilson-like return. It's fine by me. After the first 2 QBs were gone I just wanted to go cheap there or FA. An almost-5th is cheap.

ghst187

Reaction score
All I can say is he is a better prospect than Quincy and McGee....although not by a ton

Gaede

Reaction score
Dak Prescott QB - 6'2 230 lbs (Mississippi State)

Positives:
Can run when needed, but not an incredible athlete in open field. More of a take it and run guy. A tough QB, can take a hit and pop back up. Incredibly accurate on the short to immediate routes. Always seems to give his receivers a chance, his receivers seemed to drop a TON of balls he put on the money. Played in some really big games against outstanding defenses. Can throw on the run with accuracy. Will deliver the ball in the middle of traffic right on target. Rarely makes a bad mistake.
Negatives: Dink and dunk type QB, rarely throws downfield. Does not always throw a pretty ball, flutters in the air. Overly conservative. Plays in a very simple one read shotgun system. Gets very panicky under pressure. Holds on to the ball way too long at times, leading to unnecessary sacks.

Where He Fits and My Opinion: Actually liked him more then I was expecting too. Not a guy that is going to dominate games or take over, but will not lose a game for you. I really think he has a chance to be a Alex Smith type QB given the right chance. Incredibly accurate, and can run when needed. As a 4th round pick I would certainly take my chance. His ceiling is Alex Smith, his floor is Kellen Moore. Worst case scenario he will be a very solid backup in this league.

Credit to dantheman41.

Huh, Alex Smith is actually a really good comparison. I like it