Dak Prescott

WhizKid

Reaction score
Huh, Alex Smith is actually a really good comparison. I like it

Thought the same thing. A lot of short-intermediate balls. Inconsistent on his deep balls. Doesn't risk throws very often, but also displays an ability to trust his receiver to make a play on the ball, so with that respect could turn out to be a little better.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Would you guys have preferred to gut our draft for Lynch, a QB that lost to Navy by 3 TDs and has never taken a snap under center?

Thank God John Elway saved us from that horrific trade.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
From what I have read, he was basically a read-option and playaction NCAA gimmick QB until last year when he started running pro style drop backs that asked him to scan the field.

Kaiser

Reaction score
We had a GREAT draft for both now and into the future!

The only time I saw him play was the Senior Bowl but just based on that game he looks like a steal in the late 4th.

Reactions: Ken

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I went back and watched a couple games of Daks. Overall i'm coming around to the pick. I see a lot more to like than i was expecting to. He threw the ball deep more and better than he gets credit for. Also saw several throws where he stepped up in the pocket to deliver strikes. Need to see more of that instead of bailing out. Needs a lot of work on his footwork, and ball security. Overall though i don't know how anyone evaluates college QBs. The blocking schemes are terrible, and the play fakes are often useless. Watching the LSU game Dak was mostly running for his life as Miss St. rarely kept a TE or back in to block. It seemed to be a lot of 5 on 5 or 6 on 5 in favor of the defense. He really didn't stand a chance.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
Dak in this past season's bowl game vs. NC State:

Can't help but get giddy after watching this game.

Look at the throws at :56, 1:33, 4:14, 4:27, 11:50. Back shoulder throw on the run ( :56), Beautiful touch passes down the sidelines (1:33, 4:14, 11:50), and another NFL back shoulder throw (4:27, Dez catches those).

Dak is a QB who can run, not an athlete playing QB.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Why all the hate fellas? Smart player, reads the defense well and has great tools and high character. Senior bowl MVP.

I understand he lost his mom and went down hill, but they are still complimenting his character.

Sound like he needs help with his footwork and some time to be groomed but I'm excited about his potential.

He's very similar to Tebow. That is both a compliment and a negative.

I'm fine with us getting him at the end of the 4th though.
Then again, the entire NFL passed on him 4 rounds, so they all had issues. Doesn't mean he won't pan out, it just means there are clear issues or he would have gone way earlier. Not an insult.

Reaction score

Then again, the entire NFL passed on him 4 rounds, so they all had issues. Doesn't mean he won't pan out, it just means there are clear issues or he would have gone way earlier. Not an insult.

Far more accurate than Tebow.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Far more accurate than Tebow.
Well, I'm certainly pulling for Dak to do better than Tebow at the pro level, long term.

But in college, Tebow had him topped in almost all categories.

Tebow..higher completion rate (short and long passes)
Tebow...higher yards per attempt
Tebow..more passing TDs
Tebow ...less Ints
Tebow...higher QB rating
Tebow...more rushing yards
Tebow..more rushing TDs
Tebow...QB for national title l team

Pretty much everything you can think of that can be proven stats wise, Tebow won

Does not mean Dak won't be better at the next level...but just the facts

Portland Fanatic

Reaction score
I'm really excited about Dak personally. I've watched about 10 different highlight reels on him and see the potential...granted i haven't seen the bad videos, but the highlights. I think after sitting behind Romo and learning he has the potential to be a very good one. I see the dinks and dunks, but I also see him air it out with good touch and some zing when he needs too.

I cant wait to see what he can do!

Also, I've had this strong feeling that out next QB that wins us our next Super Bowl will wear #10...between, #8 and #12...just say'in had this feeling for a few years, so when I saw he got #10...

It may be heartburn :)

reddyuta

Reaction score
Well, I'm certainly pulling for Dak to do better than Tebow at the pro level, long term.

But in college, Tebow had him topped in almost all categories.

Tebow..higher completion rate (short and long passes)
Tebow...higher yards per attempt
Tebow..more passing TDs
Tebow ...less Ints
Tebow...higher QB rating
Tebow...more rushing yards
Tebow..more rushing TDs
Tebow...QB for national title l team

Pretty much everything you can think of that can be proven stats wise, Tebow won

Does not mean Dak won't be better at the next level...but just the facts

none of them mean anything in the NFL though because Tebows throwing motion and his arm was never going to work in the NFL.Dak has a better throwing motion and better arm than him but him making it as a NFL backup are a long shot.

sbark

Reaction score
Negatives: Dink and dunk type QB, rarely throws downfield. Overly conservative

So to avoid another Captain checkdown of McGee and D. Vaughn.............does Garret and company advise Dak "to leave the reservation" periodically as Parcells would put it when discussing early Tony Romo? If they don't, the coverage get tighter and tighter.....

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
Dak Presscott looks like a less accurate Tony Romo to me, with escapability being a high trait they both have naturally. While Presscott shows far less passing form/technique than Romo, he has a slightly stronger arm and can call audibles/read Defense. Both have put teams on their shoulders, Prescott was the difference in Mississippi State, although Tony is a 'Master Jedi' because he is actually NFL proven. Master Romo will awaken the force is youngling Dakota.

Dundalis

Reaction score
Dak Presscott looks like a less accurate Tony Romo to me, with escapability being a high trait they both have naturally. While Presscott shows far less passing form/technique than Romo, he has a slightly stronger arm and can call audibles/read Defense. Both have put teams on their shoulders, Prescott was the difference in Mississippi State, although Tony is a 'Master Jedi' because he is actually NFL proven. Master Romo will awaken the force is youngling Dakota.
Prescott can move certainly. He's not in the same stratosphere as Romo in pocket presence and using his feet to evade pressure without leaving the pocket and then keeping his eyes upfield and having the balance and poise to complete a pass. Prescott panicks when he feels any pressure, and either runs or tends to makes a bad decision. Under any pressure at all his eyes drop to the rush, rather than remaining downfield. There's a difference between simply being athletic and able to move in or outside the pocket, and having the poise, balance and awareness to remain calm under pressure, commit rushers with small deliberate movements and deliver accurate, balanced passes. Goff is the player in this draft that has this skill down pat. I don't think this is really a trait easily acquired either. You tend to either have that poise, or you don't.

I also find Prescott's arm to be pretty average. A lot of his passes lack zip and his long balls are looped up and not accurate at all.

Dundalis

Reaction score
Where He Fits and My Opinion: Actually liked him more then I was expecting too. Not a guy that is going to dominate games or take over, but will not lose a game for you. I really think he has a chance to be a Alex Smith type QB given the right chance. Incredibly accurate, and can run when needed. As a 4th round pick I would certainly take my chance. His ceiling is Alex Smith, his floor is Kellen Moore. Worst case scenario he will be a very solid backup in this league.

Credit to dantheman41.
Yeah, he really isn't. At all. Not just on long balls, but short and intermediate as well. He does not throw receivers in stride due to lack of anticipatory skills, and puts a lot of balls in an area where DB's have a chance at it. Topping off his accuracy issues, to me his passes regularly lack zip, though I think fixing his footwork could help there a bit, as when his feet are working well, the ball can come out of his hand relatively nice.

Having his floor as a NFL backup is stupid. QB's that have NFL backup as their floor go first round. QB's in the 4th have backup as their ceiling.

jnday

Reaction score

I have not noticed any other teams that showed an interest in Dak in the mid-rounds. Are you aware of any other teams that wanted him?

DFWJC

Reaction score
I have not noticed any other teams that showed an interest in Dak in the mid-rounds. Are you aware of any other teams that wanted him?

Haven't read about any specifically. There were some around here wanting the guy in the 2nd , or at latest 3rd round...which was baffling.

jnday

Reaction score
Haven't read about any specifically. There were some around here wanting the guy in the 2nd , or at latest 3rd round...which was baffling.

It was baffling. I don't think that Dak was as popular with any other team as he was with the Cowboys. I have read many local media reports here in Mississippi and the Cowboys was the only team that was named as having any interest in him. I was not surprised that Dallas had Cook rated higher.