Dak Ranked 9 on Chris Simms QB Big Board

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Saying Dak is 11 is an insult, especially after a few other QBs you placed above him and in your Top 10. Clearly, you don't like Dak.
If you consider it an insult that I don't have Dak ranked as high as you then that's just strange.

Again, you are too in your feels about Dak. It's just a ranking and ranking are subject to change if the play on the field warrants it.

kskboys

Reaction score
Big deal.

Dak has had the most 400+ yard passing games since 2016 (7) with 3 of them happening last year in 2020 within the first 4.5 games before injury where Dak passed for 450 against Atlanta, 472 the following week against Seattle and 502 yards the week after against Cleveland. Those are 3 back-to-back-to-back 450+ yarders 3 games in a row in the same season!

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/P/PresDa01/gamelog/2020/

I bet Midget Murray (or most any other QB) will never achieve that during his career. Ever.

Based on this historical feat, there is no way Midget Murray should ever be placed above or equal to Dak. Period.

PS: Dak definitely is today a Top 5 QB.
Murray is more of a circus sideshow.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
So the criteria for #7 is to never have a down game? The guy had 4,790 total yards and 37 total TDs. Maybe Chris Simms is ranking him based on the entirety of the 2020 season and not one of his lesser productive games. If you can even call it that. He had 3 TDs in a halftime blowout.

To be honest those stats do look good without seeing them i wouldn't have known Kyler had that season, saying that look at daks Total yards and TD's from 2019 and compare it to the pace he was on in 2020 and your making an even better case for Dak to move up.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
ranked 9th and being paid like he is number one that pretty much is a cowboys thing he is pretty good but i dont think he will ever win a championship in dallas

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
ranked 9th and being paid like he is number one that pretty much is a cowboys thing he is pretty good but i dont think he will ever win a championship in dallas

Thats fair but there are several guys in the rankings that will probably never win a championship and will certainly get paid more than Dak in the next 2 years.....the Patriots skewed so many fans thinking on how hard it is to win one when in fact they are the biggest outlyer and I think history will show just how much of an outlyer that was. With the Salary Cap the betting odds are heavily wieghed towards that never happening again. Look at P Mahommes, the betting odds have him as a favorite but when wieghed against the rest of the field all of them are long shots because of...luck ,injury, coaching, teammates...its not the NBA get 3 good players and your odds are very high...

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
Thats fair but there are several guys in the rankings that will probably never win a championship and will certainly get paid more than Dak in the next 2 years.....the Patriots skewed so many fans thinking on how hard it is to win one when in fact they are the biggest outlyer and I think history will show just how much of an outlyer that was. With the Salary Cap the betting odds are heavily wieghed towards that never happening again. Look at P Mahommes, the betting odds have him as a favorite but when wieghed against the rest of the field all of them are long shots because of...luck ,injury, coaching, teammates...its not the NBA get 3 good players and your odds are very high...
The Pats were able to do all that for so long because they had the GOAT QB never demanding to be paid like the GOAT QB.

They had the perfect team player who wanted to win instead of getting every penny he could out of his team.

And before anyone brings up the ridiculous "BUT HIS WIFE IS RICH TOO SO HE NEVER HAD TO GET PAID LIKE THAT!" argument. Brady wasn't going to be in the poor house if he never married a model. He's still rich beyond imagination regardless of his wife's money.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
The Pats were able to do all that for so long because they had the GOAT QB never demanding to be paid like the GOAT QB.

They had the perfect team player who wanted to win instead of getting every penny he could out of his team.

And before anyone brings up the ridiculous "BUT HIS WIFE IS RICH TOO SO HE NEVER HAD TO GET PAID LIKE THAT!" argument. Brady wasn't going to be in the poor house if he never married a model. He's still rich beyond imagination regardless of his wife's money.

If its that easy, then we will see other teams do this. Again my opinion is you will never see that again, the odds are just so stacked against it.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I don't understand why murray is 7...what has he done to impress anyone....

I can come up with 2 reasons to defend it:

1. He had a rushing season comparable to Zeke last year. 800+ yards and 11 touchdowns. That’s unbelievable for a QB. Behind Lamar, he’s the most dual threat QB in the league. Add those rushing stats to his passing stats and his stat line looks mighty fine (especially at 67% completion!). That comes to 4800 yards, 37 TDs. Right around what Brady did, as Brady doesn’t run. He put up major pro bowl numbers and he was winning in Arizona, which may be even more impressive.

2. Drew Brees. Drew Brees has more 5000 yard seasons than any QB ever. Does that mean Drew is better than any QB ever? Not really. Does it even mean he was the best QB of his generation? Is Drew greater than Brady because he threw a lot of yards? Is Drew greater than Manning? Than Rodgers? Will he even be remembered as greatly as Favre? Roethlisberger? Maybe at least as much as those two, but maybe not even.

But why is that? Because Drew made 2 NFCCGs his entire career. And in a few of those 5000 yard seasons, the Saints went 7-9. Winning means more than empty stats. That’s a loaded term here, maybe there’s a better one. Losing stats. Or maybe padded stats. Sometimes it’s not always the QB’s fault they lose the games. Sometimes losing is the reason they’re able to put up so many yards. Lots of different contexts there. And last year Dak was prolific, but for what he’s been previously he wasn’t very proficient. Tell any QB to throw more and they’re going to put up more yards. Yet Dak was on pace to throw the most picks of his career, quadruple his interception total from his rookie year. Because of the sacks he was taking due to all those drop backs, his average net yards per attempt were down from his rookie year too.

Now absolutely you could say Dak was asked to do things that weren’t a comfortable place for him. His rookie year Zeke was running wild, so Dak was more free to make better decisions with the ball. Any time you overload the workload, efficiency may dip. On top of that, the team’s failings shouldn’t be considered Dak’s failings. Maybe Dak has a better season than Kyler if he plays 16 games, but you can’t reward someone for something they didn’t end up doing.

I don’t agree with the ranking, I have Dak above Kyler at least, but you can come to conclusions as to why some may feel Kyler looked more impressive in 2020.

Long post short: winning has an impact on perception, and the Cardinals won a lot of games last year people didn’t expect them to. Conversely, Dak and the Cowboys lost games last year people didn’t expect them to. Want Dak to have a better reputation in the NFL? Ask eternally underrated Drew Brees: win more. May not be fair, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

Last edited:

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
If its that easy, then we will see other teams do this. Again my opinion is you will never see that again, the odds are just so stacked against it.
It's not easy.

You're not going to get a QB of Brady's ability that's willing to never be paid the top QB money.

That's my whole point. That's why the Pats were able to stay good for so long. Brady never handcuffed them.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
It was not just Brady, he was the most consistant part of it with Belicheat but he did have help. There is a reason Brady had a very short list of teams he would play for (and I dont blame him as he earned it)..he was going to a team that was already good and just needed better QB play. My point is to get that caliber of team play for that long and consistant in all three phases of the game will not happen again in the salary cap era....in my opinion of course.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I don't know why people keep ranking QBs. The situation around them makes a huge difference. How did Dak look before Cooper came on the scene? Quarterbacks and running backs depend a lot on other players for their success. It's up to the viewer to determine this. But more often than not the casual viewer is clueless.

A quarterback is not a pitcher. A pitcher goes 1 on 1 with a batter. The defense is assumed. If there's an error the pitcher isn't responsible. If a WR drops a TD pass the QB gets an incompletion. Stop trying to rank QBs. We can see who is good and who isn't. What people rarely do is consider the conditions they play under.

Agreed. Every hall of fame qb had hall of fame wide receivers (or all pros) to throw to. Montana, Elway, Bradshaw, etc etc. it’s almost impossible to find a great qb who didn’t have multiple great receivers and TEs. Even Brady has had some great ones including Welker, Moss, Gronk etc etc.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I can come up with 2 reasons to defend it:

1. He had a rushing season comparable to Zeke last year. 800+ yards and 11 touchdowns. That’s unbelievable for a QB. Behind Lamar, he’s the most dual threat QB in the league. Add those rushing stats to his passing stats and his stat line looks mighty fine (especially at 67% completion!). That comes to 4800 yards, 37 TDs. Right around what Brady did, as Brady doesn’t run. He put up major pro bowl numbers and he was winning in Arizona, which may be even more impressive.

2. Drew Brees. Drew Brees has more 5000 yard seasons than any QB ever. Does that mean Drew is better than any QB ever? Not really. Does it even mean he was the best QB of his generation? Is Drew greater than Brady because he threw a lot of yards? Is Drew greater than Manning? Than Rodgers? Will he even be remembered as greatly as Favre? Roethlisberger? Maybe at least as much as those two, but maybe not even.

But why is that? Because Drew made 2 NFCCGs his entire career. And in a few of those 5000 yard seasons, the Saints went 7-9. Winning means more than empty stats. That’s a loaded term here, maybe there’s a better one. Losing stats. Or maybe padded stats. Sometimes it’s not always the QB’s fault they lose the games. Sometimes losing is the reason they’re able to put up so many yards. Lots of different contexts there. And last year Dak was prolific, but for what he’s been previously he wasn’t very proficient. Tell any QB to throw more and they’re going to put up more yards. Yet Dak was on pace to throw the most picks of his career, quadruple his interception total from his rookie year. Because of the sacks he was taking due to all those drop backs, his average net yards per attempt were down from his rookie year too.

Now absolutely you could say Dak was asked to do things that weren’t a comfortable place for him. His rookie year Zeke was running wild, so Dak was more free to make better decisions with the ball. Any time you overload the workload, efficiency may dip. On top of that, the team’s failings shouldn’t be considered Dak’s failings. Maybe Dak has a better season than Kyler if he plays 16 games, but you can’t reward someone for something they didn’t end up doing.

I don’t agree with the ranking, I have Dak above Kyler at least, but you can come to conclusions as to why some may feel Kyler looked more impressive in 2020.

Long post short: winning has an impact on perception, and the Cardinals won a lot of games last year people didn’t expect them to. Conversely, Dak and the Cowboys lost games last year people didn’t expect them to. Want Dak to have a better reputation in the NFL? Ask eternally underrated Drew Brees: win more. May not be fair, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t true.

this is not a dak response.... but specifically on Kyler....

I get that he can rush..., but I am never impressed with running QBs, because they may get some wins and be exciting in the regular season, but in the playoffs they are neutralized. Jackson has been neutralized twice in the playoffs, that's why he has dedicated this off season to improve his passing. you have to be able to pass from the pocket in the NFL to be successful as a QB. Kyler hasn't really shown he can do that. that's why it surprises me. now if you want to rank based on how exciting they are, probably he is 2nd behind Jackson....he just doesn't impress me as a running QB.....

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
this is not a dak response.... but specifically on Kyler....

I get that he can rush..., but I am never impressed with running QBs, because they may get some wins and be exciting in the regular season, but in the playoffs they are neutralized. Jackson has been neutralized twice in the playoffs, that's why he has dedicated this off season to improve his passing. you have to be able to pass from the pocket in the NFL to be successful as a QB. Kyler hasn't really shown he can do that. that's why it surprises me. now if you want to rank based on how exciting they are, probably he is 2nd behind Jackson....he just doesn't impress me as a running QB.....

Well it is a question of why is Dak below Kyler, and your point of being neutralized in the playoff isn’t exactly something Dak has as his trumpet card.

Once you get out of the top 4 or so, you’ll find a lot of good QBs who’ve struggled in the playoffs. So Kyler is right where he belongs in that regard.

BotchedLobotomy

Wide Right
Reaction score
I don't think this is a fair assessment. NFL QB's are paid based on supply and demand. Dak hit the jackpot. The current supply of experienced high quality QB's in the NFL (Which Dak is) is very low right now. Is Dak the number one QB in the NFL? No he is not, but the timing of his new contract has him paid like one for now. In the upcoming years he'll drop down the list as far as contract value goes to the point where he probably is going to be underpaid compared to other QB's getting more money than him with new contracts.

Not sure how you can be confident that he will never win a championship here unless you're psychic

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well it is a question of why is Dak below Kyler, and your point of being neutralized in the playoff isn’t exactly something Dak has as his trumpet card.

Once you get out of the top 4 or so, you’ll find a lot of good QBs who’ve struggled in the playoffs. So Kyler is right where he belongs in that regard.
well, my question was specifically on Kyler. of all the young upcoming QBs he is at the bottom 3rd IMHO. I like Allan and how he has Matured. I am curious to see Burrows and Herbert in year 2. I think Tua is a lost cause, he has to show a lot for him to be the future in Miami and what we hear even from miami players isn't flattering. Daniel Jones is pretty much what we have seen. an adequate starter to keep the seat warm for the next guy. I put Mayfield ahead of Murray. I even put Darnold ahead of Murray.....