Video: Dak should take less. Skip and Emmitt are right

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I'm confused, then.

Why would one feel the need to state that his salary is none of our business in a thread discussing his salary? I really don't get it.
It's a discussion board. I state my view and opinion. I have no issue with what other believe, even though I disagree. I don't feel the need, just sharing my viewpoint. I'm sorry if that's not what you see fit in a thread.

lockster

Reaction score
I'm not a Zeke fan,
is Zeke getting 40 million a year in endorsements? and Zeke isnt a qb that can play for 15 years.
Im not a Zeke fan,buti any player deserves more money on a team, it's the one that takes the biggest pounding in the game, RB.

lockster

Reaction score
You're wrong about Dak when it comes to pressure, plus his accuracy has been improving, along with his mechanics. Throwing for almost 5K yards and 2 yards shy of breaking the franchise single season passing record, 30+ TDs, 66% completions accuracy, plus a 99 passer rating is nothing to laugh about.
My eyes, and thousands of other fans seem to see the same thing! By the end of the year, he showed, if he's not in a perfect situation, throwing the ball with the perfect mechanics, then he misses too much! He didn't spend enough time as a kid playing other sports that help U with this, like baseball, killem with a racketball, etc. I can see paying Mahome's the money, but Mahome's knows how to throw from any angle and any stance. :)

lockster

Reaction score
HAHAHA!!!! Romo had IT? If you're referring to CHOKING UNDER PRESSURE, then yes, you are absolutely right. Romo was lucky to have receivers like Terrell Owens, Terry Glenn, Jason Witten, Myles Austin and Dez Bryant...all multi-1,000 yard seasons receivers still in their primes.

What has Dak had?
Terrell the iron hands Owens? Terry got hurt Glenn? Jason runs the 100yds in 60 secs, miles short lived we?, Dez I can't run from anyone and forgot how to catch the ball?. Romo didn't have a solid online, that's why he got tired down so soon compared to others. He's lucky to wake up in the morning after playing behind that line. Face it, the cowboys have sucked so long, it's only the last three or four years, that we could prove how bad Garrett the clapper, yapper boy thank goodness. Now, we might have a chance, even with Dak at QB.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
That's like saying customers are not important to the companies they buy products from. If the product deteriorates or becomes something of disdain to the fans then the business goes downhill.

Salary cap works to create the feeling that all teams have a chance. Making the owners spend the large majority of the cap means that teams must at least try to be competitive. Without the cap, Jeery would spend whatever he felt the increased revenue from success would justify. He may very not win every year but he would definitely spend more than everyone else to win.

The cap is crucial, therefore the salaries of each player effects the opportunities for success - so as a fan, their salaries, which the FANS ultimately pay, is our business!

There are people who buy products which are advertised during the game, yet those people do not watch football. Some of that revenue ultimately ends up in the hands of the league and team through the purchase of the rights to telecast by the broadcasting company. One might make the case the majority of people purchasing those products are not football fans, or at the very least fans of other teams, which makes their viewing sketchy about how that is involved with the Cowboys.

So your fans ultimately comment - fans capitalized for emphasis by you - is not as significant in the big scheme of things.

The cap is a mechanism created by the league to hold salaries down under the auspices of making the game competitive, which was a point you made. One might make a legal argument this is a form of labor price fixing. Perhaps only because the league deals with the players union, who may be bought off as unions tend to do in favor of ownership - the history of unions in America suggests this could be the case - prevents this from being flat out illegal. Understanding the interstate commerce laws that came into play early in the Super Bowl era when the two leagues were merging, that created an agreement between the Federal Govt and the league to not show four games - two on CBS and two on Fox currently - gave the league a pass on the interstate commerce laws, meaning each team would be seen as a individual going concern, while governed by the league.

The league dodged a bunch of grief for this which allows a salary cap, which is collusion between franchises in an industry that sets costs of labor.

Now factor in the draft which forces college players to be hired by a specific team instead of operating in a free market to seek their job and its salary in a competitive way instead of again slotting and price fixing by the league.

The claim this is for competition becomes laughable after looking at the NE Patriots win so many championships over the last decade and a half.

All of these aspects dilute the fan participation as you see it, because this competitive nature is a smoke screen to hide the truth the league and its owners skirt laws that most of the companies in this country must abide.

Currently there is a class action on milk price fixing, and this is not the first time that industry has been called on the carpet. While these two issues are not related - price fixing vs salary fixing and free market access to employment - you can see how not everyone is being governed under the law equally.

One last point on Federal intervention, the lawmakers on a national level agreed to cut down the number of games shown on a specific day to placate women complaining about their husbands glued to the TV all day Sunday. Another example of the Feds being influenced by lobbyists and pencil pushing to look like they made a Solomon-like judgment.

So this is not a small deal at all, but the Federal Govt allowing the league a free pass on colluding to set salaries.

So trundle off and play this pretend Madden game of salary cap, then insert your opinion Dak, or any player needs to give a home town discount if you choose. The machinations which make the cap a fact cause the idea to be ridiculous. Add to that you have no say whatsoever, that further exacerbates the absurdity of your point. Then factor in most, if not all the people who are arguing this point would try and get every last dime they can because this is a business, and it moves this idea of taking less to the preposterous.

The sobs and tears by those angered by Zeke's contract, or Dak, or any player for the Dallas Cowboys using this cap argument ignores one HUGE truth.

Nothing this team has done in regard to the cap over the last 23 years and counting has produced even a sniff of an NFC Championship game, much less a Super Bowl. That negates any argument that Dak taking less will suddenly cause Jerry and his management staff to have a clue how to equate winning with money.

Enjoy this game and feel as connected as you must. But truthfully, to me this is merely swatting flies on the Titanic. You, nor any fan has a fiduciary claim to the team's finances and how they spend their money.

As Mia Wallace once said, "that is an exercise in futility."

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Terrell the iron hands Owens? Terry got hurt Glenn? Jason runs the 100yds in 60 secs, miles short lived we?, Dez I can't run from anyone and forgot how to catch the ball?. Romo didn't have a solid online, that's why he got tired down so soon compared to others. He's lucky to wake up in the morning after playing behind that line. Face it, the cowboys have sucked so long, it's only the last three or four years, that we could prove how bad Garrett the clapper, yapper boy thank goodness. Now, we might have a chance, even with Dak at QB.
IN three of the "Clapper's" seasons, we had a super bowl caliber team.

In that same time frame, how many times did the Raiders, Dolphins, Jets, Bengals, and on and on and on have a SB caliber team> I hope we win a SB soon, but if we do, it wont have a damn thing to do with McCarthy.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It all depends what you are playing for. You can have a good balance of what you are playing for. You definitely should get close to your value. For me, Iooking at it from the outside, I definitely would want to get a fair shake on the salary but I also think I would understand the team dynamic. I also think I would understand the economic dynamic of what it means to play half your games in a tax free state and also what endorsements I receive for being the QB of the Cowboys. The current state of affairs for NFL players is just treating it solely as a business, and if you are not the #1 company in your field, so what, you are doing just fine and making a good living. It is a bit like participation trophies, everybody is a winner in todays NFL with the salaries. No really reason for team success for the individual player who is just performing for the next contract.

To show true character as an athlete, as part of a team sport, you give up a little for the sake of the team. That's what team sports should be about. I understand that they are not anymore but that does not mean that the individual has to go that route. Each one has the opportunity to rise above the "respect" garbage and represent the true nature of what team sports should be about. I don't expect everyone to do that but I have much more respect for that player that does!

If your team owner is not using all of his cap space then as a player I would not give a dime in discount, but if that owner is pulling his weight in investing in the team for me as a player, then I would definitely take that to heart!

I understand what you're saying, but for so long in this country, the people who with the most (money, power, authority) are virtually never required to make sacrifices. Rather, the sacrifices must be born by the average joes. They have to forgo money, they have to forego power, authority and bargaining position just to entertainment the masses while the elite become more powerful, richer and don't have to bear the responsibilities of those who give their all (whether players or soldiers) while they just line their pockets. And people just aren't going to take that anymore.

So I say what Dak can get, then he should try to get. Let the owners worry about that. If they don't like the salary cap system, they can change it. They have the money. Maybe if enough players start demanding their worth, the system will change.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I would be more than happy to play for 30 mil w/ an increased chance at a super bowl. You wouldn't?
But if I had a chance to make $40 million and an increased chance at a Super Bowl, I'd take that. Wouldn't you?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
It's not a "discount". It's a reasonable salary.

Why are you referring to saving Jerry money? That doesn't even make sense. This is about the salary cap, not about Jerry's personal finance.

Who is making the money, the league? The money is coming into the Cowboys' coffers. So, ultimately, it's from the money Jerry makes.
Second, if you could make $40 million as opposed to $30 million are you telling me you'd "settle" for the $30 million?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
My eyes, and thousands of other fans seem to see the same thing! By the end of the year, he showed, if he's not in a perfect situation, throwing the ball with the perfect mechanics, then he misses too much! He didn't spend enough time as a kid playing other sports that help U with this, like baseball, killem with a racketball, etc. I can see paying Mahome's the money, but Mahome's knows how to throw from any angle and any stance. :)
You're still whining? I thought it was bad on Twitter? You guys on here take the cake! Sheesh

aikemirv

Reaction score
I understand what you're saying, but for so long in this country, the people who with the most (money, power, authority) are virtually never required to make sacrifices. Rather, the sacrifices must be born by the average joes. They have to forgo money, they have to forego power, authority and bargaining position just to entertainment the masses while the elite become more powerful, richer and don't have to bear the responsibilities of those who give their all (whether players or soldiers) while they just line their pockets. And people just aren't going to take that anymore.

So I say what Dak can get, then he should try to get. Let the owners worry about that. If they don't like the salary cap system, they can change it. They have the money. Maybe if enough players start demanding their worth, the system will change.
The top 10 percent pays 70 percent of the taxes and 88% of Americans are in the upper middle to high income in comparison to the world. The system works for society better than any other and some people are going to be richer than others and top sports athletes are part of that top 10 percent. They are not the average Joe. The only average Joe in the NFL is a guy who gets minimum and only last 2-3 years but even he has earned as much as a lot will in their working lifetime! Not only that but they got free college as well!

Can't feel sorry for them or feel bad wanting them to take 5 mill less for the sake of the team!

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Who is making the money, the league? The money is coming into the Cowboys' coffers. So, ultimately, it's from the money Jerry makes.
Second, if you could make $40 million as opposed to $30 million are you telling me you'd "settle" for the $30 million?
I wouldn't settle for $30k instead of $40k. I wouldn't settle for $300k instead of $400k. Wouldn't even settle for $3 million instead of $4 million. But I'd settle for $30 million instead of $40 million in a capped league if I thought I had a better chance of getting more help around me to achieve team success.

Once I got that high I would be firmly secure in my finances and I wouldn't need to be squeezing everything out of the team. I'd rather have a better chance of winning, which would hopefully make me the bigger bucks in endorsements down the road.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The more Dak makes the less our chance of winning a Super Bowl
That's not Dak's fault. If Dak believes he's a franchise quarterback, he should seek to be paid like a franchise quarterback.
I don't think he is. But if he does, I expect him to take the position he now does.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The top 10 percent pays 70 percent of the taxes and 88% of Americans are in the upper middle to high income in comparison to the world. The system works for society better than any other and some people are going to be richer than others and top sports athletes are part of that top 10 percent. They are not the average Joe. The only average Joe in the NFL is a guy who gets minimum and only last 2-3 years but even he has earned as much as a lot will in their working lifetime! Not only that but they got free college as well!

Can't feel sorry for them or feel bad wanting them to take 5 mill less for the sake of the team!

While the owners take billions more on the back's of the players. I say the players should make as much as they can. It's their bodies they're putting on the line. And if they believe that's their market value, go for it. And I don't even think Dak is worth that much. But if he does, that's all that matters.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I wouldn't settle for $30k instead of $40k. I wouldn't settle for $300k instead of $400k. Wouldn't even settle for $3 million instead of $4 million. But I'd settle for $30 million instead of $40 million in a capped league if I thought I had a better chance of getting more help around me to achieve team success.

Once I got that high I would be firmly secure in my finances and I wouldn't need to be squeezing everything out of the team. I'd rather have a better chance of winning, which would hopefully make me the bigger bucks in endorsements down the road.

Well, I'll take your word for it. But I'd say that it's easy for a person not making that much to say they would turn it down. But if that's where your earning potential is, I don't think it's a stretch to day that most people wouldn't turn that extra $10 million down.

Legend

Reaction score

Just imagine how much more $ Dak would earn in endorsements if the Cowboys win a SB in the near future.

aikemirv

Reaction score
There are people who buy products which are advertised during the game, yet those people do not watch football. Some of that revenue ultimately ends up in the hands of the league and team through the purchase of the rights to telecast by the broadcasting company. One might make the case the majority of people purchasing those products are not football fans, or at the very least fans of other teams, which makes their viewing sketchy about how that is involved with the Cowboys.

So your fans ultimately comment - fans capitalized for emphasis by you - is not as significant in the big scheme of things.

The cap is a mechanism created by the league to hold salaries down under the auspices of making the game competitive, which was a point you made. One might make a legal argument this is a form of labor price fixing. Perhaps only because the league deals with the players union, who may be bought off as unions tend to do in favor of ownership - the history of unions in America suggests this could be the case - prevents this from being flat out illegal. Understanding the interstate commerce laws that came into play early in the Super Bowl era when the two leagues were merging, that created an agreement between the Federal Govt and the league to not show four games - two on CBS and two on Fox currently - gave the league a pass on the interstate commerce laws, meaning each team would be seen as a individual going concern, while governed by the league.

The league dodged a bunch of grief for this which allows a salary cap, which is collusion between franchises in an industry that sets costs of labor.

Now factor in the draft which forces college players to be hired by a specific team instead of operating in a free market to seek their job and its salary in a competitive way instead of again slotting and price fixing by the league.

The claim this is for competition becomes laughable after looking at the NE Patriots win so many championships over the last decade and a half.

All of these aspects dilute the fan participation as you see it, because this competitive nature is a smoke screen to hide the truth the league and its owners skirt laws that most of the companies in this country must abide.

Currently there is a class action on milk price fixing, and this is not the first time that industry has been called on the carpet. While these two issues are not related - price fixing vs salary fixing and free market access to employment - you can see how not everyone is being governed under the law equally.

One last point on Federal intervention, the lawmakers on a national level agreed to cut down the number of games shown on a specific day to placate women complaining about their husbands glued to the TV all day Sunday. Another example of the Feds being influenced by lobbyists and pencil pushing to look like they made a Solomon-like judgment.

So this is not a small deal at all, but the Federal Govt allowing the league a free pass on colluding to set salaries.

So trundle off and play this pretend Madden game of salary cap, then insert your opinion Dak, or any player needs to give a home town discount if you choose. The machinations which make the cap a fact cause the idea to be ridiculous. Add to that you have no say whatsoever, that further exacerbates the absurdity of your point. Then factor in most, if not all the people who are arguing this point would try and get every last dime they can because this is a business, and it moves this idea of taking less to the preposterous.

The sobs and tears by those angered by Zeke's contract, or Dak, or any player for the Dallas Cowboys using this cap argument ignores one HUGE truth.

Nothing this team has done in regard to the cap over the last 23 years and counting has produced even a sniff of an NFC Championship game, much less a Super Bowl. That negates any argument that Dak taking less will suddenly cause Jerry and his management staff to have a clue how to equate winning with money.

Enjoy this game and feel as connected as you must. But truthfully, to me this is merely swatting flies on the Titanic. You, nor any fan has a fiduciary claim to the team's finances and how they spend their money.

As Mia Wallace once said, "that is an exercise in futility."

Excellent write up and I would be at a disservice to you to not respond because you make some great points.

I do believe that the cap serves to make things more competitive and not just a rouse.

However, the customer is still the fan and has a say. Does that individual fan get replaced even if he decides not to watch, probably so and can make little impact but he is the customer. Baseball ratings have declined over the years dramatically but their revenues continue to climb. At what point does that decline in ratings translate into reduced revenue - by the looks of it, maybe it never does.......

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I'll take your word for it. But I'd say that it's easy for a person not making that much to say they would turn it down. But if that's where your earning potential is, I don't think it's a stretch to day that most people wouldn't turn that extra $10 million down.
I agree, plus most people want to be paid their market value rather than see equal or lesser employees make notably more. That's a respect thing in any occupation.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
he's not the best quarterback in the league, so why do we have to pay him like he's the best in the league?

"oh, you're not a Cowboys fan if you don't think Dak should be the highest-paid quarterback in the league. you're a troll and hater"