Dak sure is lucky he isn't being given the "Romo" treatment

mattjames2010

Reaction score
You can’t have a QB competing for their job during the season. We stayed with the hot hand and it was the right decision. Jimmy Johnson did the same thing in 1991 after Troy Aikman was ready to return from injury. Jimmy stayed with Steve Beuerlein into the playoffs who led the Cowboys to five straight wins. Bill Belichick stayed with Tom Brady when Drew Bledsoe was ready to return. You don’t bench a hot hand at QB!

It was the right decision? It clearly wasn't when you have one of the key pieces of the 2016 season saying youth is the reason they failed in the playoffs.

KJJ again, going on for pages when he's wrong. Tradition.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All of the coaches, owners, and players are defending Dak. In 2016, ownership was being very coy about the situation. I understand 13-3 is an impressive stat, but telling Romo that he can't even compete for the starting job is absolutely ridiculous.

This organization has actually done a good job at given Dak what he needs to be successful: great wrs, great rb, a good to great offensive line throughout most of his tenure and now a top level defense.

I do not believe Cooper Rush is a better quarterback than Dak Prescott. However, I think this coaching staff seems to manage the game better with Cooper at the helm. My hope is when Dak comes back, he sees how lucky he is that he still has that job because his opportunities are thinning out.
Romo was toast physically.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
If Dak was 37 years old and had only won 2 or 3 playoff games.... he might not get his job back. The fact he is young and just signed a big deal ensures he will get his job back. It would be great to see Cooper go off this weekend though. Imagine a state line of 29-34, 375 yards, 4 tds and no picks....... oh it would be so great. It would be great to watch this place blow up when Dak loses or has a crappy game. It would be great to give the media something more to clamor about.

Imagine Dak loses 2 ina row, I can see it now. Media would be peppering Jerry daily about Cooper and what will it take to put Cooper in over Jerry.

I love the chaos that would follow.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Lol, sticking with Dak was actually one of the dumbest decisions in the history of sports.

• Trying to win with a rookie which has never been done before and likely will never be done
  • Sticking with the player that had never been in a playoff situation even in college over a QB that had plenty of playoff experience
  • Sticking with the obviously inferior player (proven by being too scared to even have a competition for the job)
The Saints didn't stick with Bridgewater when they went undefeated when he was filling in, and any front office that wasn't completely inept would have done the same thing with the Cowboys.

I'll just leave my last statement as it's funny to see how people hate Romo to the point of idiocy.

You’re trying to compare Teddy Bridgewater’s limited success in New Orleans with Dak’s in 2016? :laugh: No coach in their right mind would bench a QB that’s led their team to a franchise record 11 straight wins including wins over Aaron Rodgers at Lambeau and Ben Roethlisberger on the road in Pittsburgh. Jimmy Johnson didn’t bench Steve Beuerlein when Troy Aikman was ready to return in 1991 and Bill Belichick didn’t bench Tom Brady when Drew Bledsoe was ready to return from injury. No head coach benches a hot hand at QB. It’s obvious you’re not very clued up.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
BS... the hit he took in that preseason game would have sidelined any qb.

Jeebus ...... Then why did he retire? Why can't he even play golf without doing back stretching exercises in the middle of the grass at 41 years old.

Give me a break with your BS crap

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
It was the right decision? It clearly wasn't when you have one of the key pieces of the 2016 season saying youth is the reason they failed in the playoffs.

KJJ again, going on for pages when he's wrong. Tradition.

Who was the key piece who said we failed in 2016 because of youth? Two of our best players that season were rookies. We failed because of our defense couldn’t contain Aaron Rodgers in the playoffs. It was the same reason we failed in 2014.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I do not underestimate the effect of that injury in SEA in a pretend game. It was evident to me that Romo could no longer adequately protect himself.

I would like to think they intervened on his behalf because it was apparent that he would keep going back out there until he did some permanent damage to himself.

He was a warrior and left it all out on the field but I didn't want to see him crumpled on the turf again.

maryquality

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Not sure how many more times we are going to beat this dead horse, resurrect it, then beat it again!! But, as I have said in the past, Tony deserved to get his job back. If I was the coach, I would have said to Tony, "Ok, here's the deal. We're going to put you back in as starter, BUT, if at any time we feel you're struggling or have another setback from injury, we're going with Dak all the way". Not sure why this was not even a possibility. And that's all I want to say about that. o_O

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Who was the key piece who said we failed in 2016 because of youth? Two of our best players that season were rookies. We failed because of our defense couldn’t contain Aaron Rodgers.

Elliott. He outright said they were more prepared their second time round to the playoffs because the nerves were gone and they had experience. You're wrong. You will stay wrong. But even though you're wrong, you'll spin and annoy everyone around you for pages rather than just saying "Yeah, okay, you're right". Same crap in a different thread on a different day with you.

Same as that Ronnie dude when it comes to Zeke threads. It's embarrassing.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
He played one series in a meaningless season finale game. It’s funny you would say he was our best chance for a Super Bowl when his playoff record was 2-4 and we never even won a divisional round game with him. Dak had been the starting QB the entire season and led us to that 13-3 record. It would’ve been absolutely foolish to bench him and go back to where we had already been with Romo, who’s had his share of failures in the playoffs. The playoff loss that season to Green Bay wasn’t because of Dak. That game was going to OT until our defense choked in the final seconds.

In spite of the stats, Dak didn't play well for portions of the game. There were many drives that came up empty because of Dak. (The same could be said for the loss to the Rams) That GB defense was terrible, especially the pass defense.

The Cowboys didn't have the defense to go all the way, but they had the offense to beat up on teams like GB. The experienced vet, with the huge chip on his shoulder would have beaten up on the GB defense and it wouldn't have come down to a last second FG.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Jeebus ...... Then why did he retire? Why can't he even play golf without doing back stretching exercises in the middle of the grass at 41 years old.

Give me a break with your BS crap

He retired because he wasnt going to be the starter in Dallas. He had a big money CHILL job waiting for him in the booth. He was clearly at an age where he felt it better for him and his family to take that chill job where he now makes more than many starting NFL QBs. He had offers from other teams, he said no.

Uhm.... because Golf absolutely destroys your back. I was playing golf about 5 years ago 3 times a week. I hurt my back so bad I could hardly walk for 2 months. To not stretch out when playing golf shows some real stupidity.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I do not underestimate the effect of that injury in SEA in a pretend game. It was evident to me that Romo could no longer adequately protect himself.

I would like to think they intervened on his behalf because it was apparent that he would keep going back out there until he did some permanent damage to himself.

He was a warrior and left it all out on the field but I didn't want to see him crumpled on the turf again.

Well damn, that Herbert guy is a wuss then. He is just a kid and already cant keep himself from getting killed. He should retire.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Not sure how many more times we are going to beat this dead horse, resurrect it, then beat it again!! But, as I have said in the past, Tony deserved to get his job back. If I was the coach, I would have said to Tony, "Ok, here's the deal. We're going to put you back in as starter, BUT, if at any time we feel you're struggling or have another setback from injury, we're going with Dak all the way". Not sure why this was not even a possibility. And that's all I want to say about that. o_O

Oh but it's okay, Dak was the right choice...even though the first half of that Packers game had mental errors on the field because the pressure of the game got to multiple players. Who would need a 13 year vet in that situation? Means nothing /s

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I cannot believe their are people ignorant enough to claim Tony Romo does not have a messed up back.

It's mind boggling

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Elliott. He outright said they were more prepared their second time round to the playoffs because the nerves were gone and they had experience. You're wrong. You will stay wrong. But even though you're wrong, you'll spin and annoy everyone around you for pages rather than just saying "Yeah, okay, you're right". Same crap in a different thread on a different day with you.

Same as that Ronnie dude when it comes to Zeke threads. It's embarrassing.

Zeke was one of the main reasons we made it to the playoffs in 2016 and had the success we did. The young players we had that season didn’t cost us that playoff game against Green Bay. You’re one of the most ill-informed fans I’ve ever encountered on this board. You’re completely off target on everything. A complete waste of time!

mattjames2010

Reaction score
And LOL at the people claiming it was only the defense that let us down in the 2016 playoffs. You know, not the fact that the offense helped put us in a hole early which changed up the entire gameplan and we had to play catchup for the entire game.

The 2016 season would have went through Green Bay and Atlanta. Both of those games were going to be shootouts regardless and we thought we could do this with Dak? What complete jokers.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
In spite of the stats, Dak didn't play well for portions of the game. There were many drives that came up empty because of Dak. (The same could be said for the loss to the Rams) That GB defense was terrible, especially the pass defense.

The Cowboys didn't have the defense to go all the way, but they had the offense to beat up on teams like GB. The experienced vet, with the huge chip on his shoulder would have beaten up on the GB defense and it wouldn't have come down to a last second FG.

When it mattered most he played well. He brought us back from a two score deficit against Aaron Rodgers in a playoff game. We put up 30 points on the Packers that day and were just about to go to OT when our defense choked! The Cowboys never have the defense to go all the way. The same thing happened two years earlier in 2014 against Green Bay. In 2018 our defense spelled the end for us against the Rams in the playoffs.