Dak, Time to get smart

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think it's up to the PA, but not sure why they didn't get into trouble. this is what makes negotiations hard. Clearly Dlaw didn't know what the boys were offering as once he stepped in the negotiations went by very quickly.
These players need to be more involved. It’s there future someone else is negotiating...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
If we can’t get a deal done by deadline I’ll be ready to wash my hands of Dak next year and root for his failure on another team.

The likelihood he’ll have as much success on another team without this type of supporting cast isn’t favorable.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
But you guys do know that its in his agent and his clients best interest to wait until the 15th to sign right?He's not on fans time he's on his own time. The best deal Dak will get will be on July 15th. The rush to get a contract done is just fans being impatient.

You're right about that. One of the reasons people are targeting Dak is the anxiety over not having the thing settled on a multi-year basis with an approaching deadline. But it's all on Dak and not the front office somehow. That's why players are right to not give 2 round testees about what fans think. Call me selfish all day. I'll wipe my tears with crisp $20 bills in the hot tub. Honestly, if Dak really wanted a deal done, he'd have held out with Zeke to majorly force the FO's hand. But he didn't and fans hated Zeke. Now fans hate Dak for "waiting his turn" like they claim is why they hated Zeke. The only common denominator to these viewpoints shifting with the wind direction is money. Well, Dak will get more now than if he held out then, that's for sure.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
These players need to be more involved. It’s there future someone else is negotiating...

Do you feel the same for lawyers practicing law on your behalf? Or a tree removal dude? Or a mechanic? Didn't Garrett say to trust the process? Oh wait ...

fivetwos

Reaction score
I agree. He is apparently fairly new to being a NFL agent. And he has to know that he already cost Dak money. Had a deal last year and pulled it right before it was signed just because we went 3-0. That’s why the negotiations stopped. If it was a contract ready to sign then it’s on him. If it’s the same 36 that’s on the table now and he turned that down and let Dak play for 2 instead. Knowing he would only get 31 this year for the tag then yeah he should be fired..
He wants things both ways...

To be paid now, and also to cash in later if the cap continues to grow.

Cant usually have things both ways in a negotiation, and I'll say it yet again, Prescott should sign as long a deal for as much guaranteed money as he can get right NOW.

Betting on everything else to go his way is fools gold.

Sure, all of it MAY happen, but you cant have all you want in the short term, plus to be protected and cash in later as well.

This agent is taking him nowhere, except possibly to where fans are against him.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Yep. At some point it becomes Daks fault even if it’s his agent cause Dak hired him.

But I agree with Ksboys on this. It’s time for Dak to sign. If not then his career in Dallas is in doubt.
i have saidthis before i think if dak is not signed to a long term deal before the deadline his time is dallas wont be for very long

DFWJC

Reaction score
Why should they care about the rest of the pie? Its their job to get the most money for their client. Agents that have a reputation of getting money for their clients are the ones that are going to get the most clients and make the most money for themselves. Simple economics.

I have always wondered why there has never been an occasion where a team has refused to deal with a certain agent. Has it ever happened?
That's right.
If the agent does not care about the quality of the team around his client, but only the max dollars he can get for him, then the pie is irrelevant.
And either way, in the short term, the offensive team around Dak looks almost ideal.

If anyone would be concerned about how the pie was split, it would be everyone else (players, coaches, management, fans) that cares about the Cowboys' longer-term success.
Most certainly, that is how the Mahomes deal was done, as well as most of Brady's deals his whole career.

But the norm really is what Dak's agent is doing. The maxing out his guy and F everyone else approach. The other more team friendly deals are the outliers.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
This agent is taking him nowhere, except possibly to where fans are against him.

If you're a player, who gives a flip? Players don't deal in the piker currency of being in some "liked hall of fame" or feeling threatened by exclusion from sitting with the cool kids at lunch in high school. They deal in business that's on a way higher level than some regular joe who'll never be happy or "comfortable" unless the player does they feel he should. That's why you pay no attention and conduct business your way if you're a player. Same as any other person.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My first Dak thread, ever if memory serves.

Dak, can you seriously not see what this agent is doing to you? You are now appearing to be self-centered, completely eaten up w/ greed, and a guy who doesn't care a wit about the team or your teammates or any of that.

Is this the case? If it is, well OK. If this is not the case, please please please fire this bucket of self serving BS and get a real agent as Mahomes did. That is how a contract should be done, not this drawn out mess.
First and foremost do not place Mahomes in anything that has to do with Daks contract talks as it's like comparing apples to lemons.
Now if memory serves correctly your great team leader sold out his first agent to move on for the big buck with Todd showing him the way.
Ksk this isn't about greed its about doubt and the FO has major doubts when it pertains to Mr.Prescott!
I mean common now Ksk Jerry might be the worst GM in the NFL but he PAYS and he PAYS BIG!!!!!
Talent Ksk always shows the way and in Prescott's case theirs very little of it to be found as he is carried big time by our other talented players.
Jerry has given Dak the PITY TAG and one final chance to prove he's a franchise-caliber QB.
He will fail once again as he does not have the god-given talent to excel as an NFL QB....and that's all she wrote about this one!!

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Do you feel the same for lawyers practicing law on your behalf? Or a tree removal dude? Or a mechanic? Didn't Garrett say to trust the process? Oh wait ...
I'd certainly like my lawyer to ask me if I wanted to plead not guilty, and I'd like to make the decision whether to accept an out of court settlement or risk having my case heard by a jury, to try to get more money.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He wants things both ways...

To be paid now, and also to cash in later if the cap continues to grow.

Cant usually have things both ways in a negotiation, and I'll say it yet again, Prescott should sign as long a deal for as much guaranteed money as he can get right NOW.

Betting on everything else to go his way is fools gold.

Sure, all of it MAY happen, but you cant have all you want in the short term, plus to be protected and cash in later as well.

Very nice post. I feel that the agent is doing the same. He is gambling this kids future and his own over 3%.. Thats his cut. And he IMO has already cost both of them money. Could have and should have signed last year. Dak was ready and they win 3 straight and his agent saw dollar signs and backed out. Then look what happened, we won 5 more games the rest of the season. I wonder if they tried to sign after that and JJ pulled back. This agent cost him millions. My guess would be this could be the last gig this agent gets. Unless he pulls something out. Now he is asking this kid to ball out with a new staff and fairly new system. BIG GAMBLE. Unless JJ makes one last offer and Dak signs it.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
First and foremost do not place Mahomes in anything that has to do with Daks contract talks as it's like comparing apples to lemons.
Now if memory serves correctly your great team leader sold out his first agent to move on for the big buck with Todd showing him the way.
Ksk this isn't about greed its about doubt and the FO has major doubts when it pertains to Mr.Prescott!
I mean common now Ksk Jerry might be the worst GM in the NFL but he PAYS and he PAYS BIG!!!!!
Talent Ksk always shows the way and in Prescott's case theirs very little of it to be found as he is carried big time by our other talented players.
Jerry has given Dak the PITY TAG and one final chance to prove he's a franchise-caliber QB.
He will fail once again as he does not have the god-given talent to excel as an NFL QB....and that's all she wrote about this one!!
Sorry, pet peeve of mine: It's either "come on" or "c'mon".....not "common". Not to be grammar police, just that always breaks my train of thought, trying to understand the sentence, when people write it like that.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes I would be. You get me the offer and we will discuss. Don’t think that Dak don’t have a amount he has in mind. For all we know the agent already got that high and his agent said hang on dude I got this, I can get you more.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I'd certainly like my lawyer to ask me if I wanted to plead not guilty, and I'd like to make the decision whether to accept an out of court settlement or risk having my case heard by a jury, to try to get more money.

Yes. And you also have the ability to say, "let's proceed based on what you've seen with your experience." You can always change your mind later because you're the one paying but who's to say Dak didn't give his agent carte blanche in that same fashion? People thought Zeke's agent was giving him "bad advice" too when it was the absolute best advice because it worked.

johneric8

Reaction score
My first Dak thread, ever if memory serves.

Dak, can you seriously not see what this agent is doing to you? You are now appearing to be self-centered, completely eaten up w/ greed, and a guy who doesn't care a wit about the team or your teammates or any of that.

Is this the case? If it is, well OK. If this is not the case, please please please fire this bucket of self serving BS and get a real agent as Mahomes did. That is how a contract should be done, not this drawn out mess.

Yeah whatever, many of you said the same thing about zeke and now it's all forgotten.. Get over it, dak will stay with the boys and be YOUR qb...

Swagger

Reaction score
Why blame the agent?

He's just doing his job. It's down to the client as they instruct the agent to act on their behalf. By using France, Prescott was basically saying, show me the money. Simple as that.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Yes. And you also have the ability to say, "let's proceed based on what you've seen with your experience." You can always change your mind later because you're the one paying but who's to say Dak didn't give his agent carte blanche in that same fashion? People thought Zeke's agent was giving him "bad advice" too when it was the absolute best advice because it worked.
Elliot’s advice worked for him. And he came in out of shape. Didn’t work out for us so much. But hey he got paid.

glimmerman

Reaction score
End of the day he makes millions. I just don’t want my QB missing any time for anything. I am sure he will show up. But still think his agent cost him in this case.

cern

Reaction score
Well the pie (and thus the percentage of said pie) does kinda change since the salary cap changes every year. I'd imagine that this knowledge is why Dak's team is (allegedly) fighting for a shorter deal now.
I'm sure it did. But covid has changed the dynamics of any impending deal. If I'm Stephen, I'm not budging an inch now.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm not sure whether Dak's agent is doing a good job or a bad job. Nobody here will know that until negotiations come to fruition.
I'm only responding to the notion that he should just give his agent carte blanche, and stay out of it, which I think would be foolish. His participation is vital, but only insomuch that he tells his agent what he wants, and what he's willing to accept in lieu of getting everything he wants, in order to prevent his agent from negotiating him out of a job.