Dak tops in tight window throws

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
This has been covered before, but the stat doesn’t really say much. When you throw the majority of your passes closer to the line of scrimmage, then you will have a bunch of them. When Beasley runs an out or a drag, it is not a particularly hard throw to complete regardless of how close the man is trailing... at the worst it’s incomplete or you miss to space. Sometimes Dak does legitimately fire one in there that is tight, especially from short. But saying he is a tight window thrower is laughable. He has pretty much zero ability to fit the ball between the linebackers and the defensive backs. He’s all straight line.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Like Idgit said, what exactly is this suppose to prove?

That he sucks at throwing to wide open receivers? Something had to give for his stats to have dropped significantly from last season.

Also, kinda important to note that Dak lead the league in pick 6s (ints returned for TDs).
He had wide open receivers?

How many of those pick 6’s were doinks off hands and TWills chest. Not saying he wasn’t to blame the stats say so. And he did take a step back from his rookie season

I am trying not to defend him because he didn’t do as well as we all wanted but there was definitely more issues than just him.

Reaction score

That he sucks at throwing to wide open receivers? Something had to give for his stats to have dropped significantly from last season.

Also, kinda important to note that Dak lead the league in pick 6s (ints returned for TDs).

It was losing Zeke for 6 games (our best offensive weapon) and the dropoff of losing two starters on the OL (Free and Leary). Dak did not have the time and clean pocket this year that he had last year. Not even close. That is what explains his overall statistical dropoff.

As far as his 4 pick 6's, two were where Beasley (vs. SD) and Dez (@ DEN) did not fight hard enough for a 50-50 ball. The third bounced right off T Will's hands (vs GB) into Randall's. The fourth was an overthrow to Zeke (vs SEA) in the flat where the CB just happened to be waiting behind him.

Not trying to say Dak is the most accurate passer in the world, or that some of his statistical dropoff was not due to his regression, but he is far better than the perception of him on this board. I firmly believe IF the OL improves and we get at least one playmaking, speed WR (and maybe a seem-stretching TE like Rico or a draft pick), Dak's play and numbers will rebound in a big way in 2018.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Tendencies.

Teams focusing on Cole Beasley and taking that critical part of the offense away and our coach just being stubborn and doing the same thing week after week.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It was pretty clear teams took Cole Beasley away and Witten has lost any ability to get down the field.
Dez is shaded to and well covered by any defensive design... so you basically had TWill and Brice Butler to go win and get open.
Teams played our tendencies and got us in worse down and distance situations.
We had banged up or missing OL.

If you watched the whole season you saw Dak regress but you also saw a fair amount of reasons why.

It's hardly as if he was given the same set of circumstances then just did less with it.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
It was losing Zeke for 6 games (our best offensive weapon) and the dropoff of losing two starters on the OL (Free and Leary). Dak did not have the time and clean pocket this year that he had last year. Not even close. That is what explains his overall statistical dropoff.

As far as his 4 pick 6's, two were where Beasley (vs. SD) and Dez (@ DEN) did not fight hard enough for a 50-50 ball. The third bounced right off T Will's hands (vs GB) into Randall's. The fourth was an overthrow to Zeke (vs SEA) in the flat where the CB just happened to be waiting behind him.

Not trying to say Dak is the most accurate passer in the world, or that some of his statistical dropoff was not due to his regression, but he is far better than the perception of him on this board. I firmly believe IF the OL improves and we get at least one playmaking, speed WR (and maybe a seem-stretching TE like Rico or a draft pick), Dak's play and numbers will rebound in a big way in 2018.

Good info, thanks for the reply.......................I still have hope Dak can rebound next season

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

ROFL... because Pick 6's explain what really? That our offense can't tackle?
Dak had 13 INT which was far from stellar but no where near leading the league.
If you need to hold on to pick 6 stats you are struggling.

Dak's 22 TDs and 13 INT were pretty much average for a starting NFL QB last year.

Dak was 16th in passing yards, 12th in TD passes and largely was just average across the board.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Nope.

I guarantee his percentage of tight window throws per throw was the highest in the league. I would love to see that stat. When you are throwing to Witten and Dez, they are never open by more than a yard.
It is a two way street. When a QB lacks anticipation, he is not throwing at the optimum point in the receivers break that creates the most separation, which also limits RAC. It follows that if you need to see the receiver open, the receiver has lost that edge and given the defensive back time to close. So even when you complete the pass, your throws appear to be “tight window”... when a pass thrown a split second earlier might have been wide open with a chance for a big RAC. There are many factors that go into receivers not getting separation.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Good info, thanks for the reply.......................I still have hope Dak can rebound next season

I think that’s gonna be on our staff. Apparently on Linehan (which scares me) because JG is gonna stand there and clap until JJ fires him. Linehan will have to make changes and he has made 0 so far. He had plenty of time to draw up something different to back defenses off and he rode the same plays week after week.

glimmerman

Reaction score
ROFL... because Pick 6's explain what really? That our offense can't tackle?
Dak had 13 INT which was far from stellar but no where near leading the league.
If you need to hold on to pick 6 stats you are struggling.

Dak's 22 TDs and 13 INT were pretty much average for a starting NFL QB last year.

Dak was 16th in passing yards, 12th in TD passes and largely was just average across the board.

I think the biggest problem is because his rookie year was anything but average. The kid played like a 4th year vet right out of the gate. He had nowhere to go but down. I was surprised at the 13 picks though.