Dak under contract in 23 & 24

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why do they need to sign him before March 2025?

They can manage the big cap hit in 2024.

If they wait until March of 2025 when he becomes a free agent, would he really leave if the Cowboys match the best offer from another team?

He'll be 33 by the start of the 2025 season.
- If he is not an unquestioned top 5 QB by then, what's his open market value?
- If he is top 5, then give him a max contract and move on.

Between now and March 2025 they have an opportunity to develop a young QB.
- Trey Lance ?
- 2024 Draft Pick ?

McCarthy is known for developing QBs...

Big contract players gone by 2025:
Tyron
DLaw
Martin ?
Cooks
Gilmore

Other than Parsons, the only current roster young player that I expect to get a max type contract is Tyler Smith but that is 2 or 3 years away.

The real key to the cap in future years is to continue developing young players.
- They're going to need elite replacements for WR Cooks and CB Gilmore in a year or two.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
I wouldn't give him another contract. They should keep drafting, developing young guys,stacking depth, and then give a loaded team to a young or cheaper qb
Even if he fools us and throws for 6000 yards and 3 Int's??? (this always happens) gets a big deal, then becomes the usual dud

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
OP would be a better GM than Jerry or Steve.

Unfortunately Jerry and Steve will probably give Dak 60 million per next off-season with little regard to how he performs.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Even if he fools us and throws for 6000 yards and 3 Int's??? (this always happens) gets a big deal, then becomes the usual dud
If he wins the next 3 superbowls, at the end of Dak's contract, I would still give the team over to a young qb or a cheap qb.

This is assuming that they have continued all the criteria I had mentioned, and that they have not lost their depth

movaughn88

Reaction score
- Trey Lance ?
- 2024 Draft Pick ?
You should add so many question marks at the end of those two bullets it would break the character limit on the board. That 2024 pick won't be top 15 unless Dak breaks his leg again.

Extend him, keep the team together and add decent free agents / trades like Cooks and Gilmore for the next few year. If Lance or a lottery pick later round QB hits, then cut Dak and deal w/ the cap hit then while the young guy is cheap

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If he wins the next 3 superbowls, at the end of Dak's contract, I would still give the team over to a young qb or a cheap qb.

This is assuming that they have continued all the criteria I had mentioned, and that they have not lost their depth
agreed

movaughn88

Reaction score

That is truly one of the silliest things anyone has ever written on this board. You need to get to a Doctor.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If he's not a top 5 QB, sucks that in all these years in the league we still have to mention this!
If you aren’t going to pay a QB or settle on a starter until you have a top 5 QB, you are in for some awful seasons like we’ve seen in the past where you can’t even compete in your division. If you have a starter who helps you win games, you pay him and you hold onto him.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
That is truly one of the silliest things anyone has ever written on this board. You need to get to a Doctor.
No, it is not. What the cowboys are doing good now is all the things I listed. If they make it through the heavy part of daks contract with most of the current talent in place and the draft and develop guys continue to do well, then you move on and keep that foundation. Young qbs are winning all over the league. Dak is not required

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
You should add so many question marks at the end of those two bullets it would break the character limit on the board. That 2024 pick won't be top 15 unless Dak breaks his leg again.

Extend him, keep the team together and add decent free agents / trades like Cooks and Gilmore for the next few year. If Lance or a lottery pick later round QB hits, then cut Dak and deal w/ the cap hit then while the young guy is cheap
Man you sound way to logical to be in a Dak thread.. most posters will assume you are being sarcastic..lol

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Why do they need to sign him before March 2025?

They can manage the big cap hit in 2024.

If they wait until March of 2025 when he becomes a free agent, would he really leave if the Cowboys match the best offer from another team?

He'll be 33 by the start of the 2025 season.
- If he is not an unquestioned top 5 QB by then, what's his open market value?
- If he is top 5, then give him a max contract and move on.

- Trey Lance ?
- 2024 Draft Pick ?

McCarthy is known for developing QBs...

Big contract players gone by 2025:
Tyron
DLaw
Martin ?
Cooks
Gilmore

Other than Parsons, the only current roster young player that I expect to get a max type contract is Tyler Smith but that is 2 or 3 years away.

The real key to the cap in future years is to continue developing young players.
- They're going to need elite replacements for WR Cooks and CB Gilmore in a year or two.
What will happen first? The need to make a decision on an extension for Prescott or the realization that Lance is capable of being a NFL caliber QB1? March 2025 is 17 months away. Prescott is owed a considerable amount of money between now and then.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
If you aren’t going to pay a QB or settle on a starter until you have a top 5 QB, you are in for some awful seasons like we’ve seen in the past where you can’t even compete in your division. If you have a starter who helps you win games, you pay him and you hold onto him.
but how long is the question especially if he's not getting you further than anything

movaughn88

Reaction score
No, it is not. What the cowboys are doing good now is all the things I listed. If they make it through the heavy part of daks contract with most of the current talent in place and the draft and develop guys continue to do well, then you move on and keep that foundation. Young qbs are winning all over the league. Dak is not required
You'd want to get rid of a QB that has won 3 Super Bowls in a row and entered the parthenon discussion of top 5 QB's of all time when he's still 33 and in his prime???? I can't even believe I have to explain this. Have a good weekend buddy, enjoy the tennis and try the veal.

I should know better than reply in Dak hater threads.