Dak under contract in 23 & 24

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
No, it is not. What the cowboys are doing good now is all the things I listed. If they make it through the heavy part of daks contract with most of the current talent in place and the draft and develop guys continue to do well, then you move on and keep that foundation. Young qbs are winning all over the league. Dak is not required
other than Patrick Mahomes what young QB's are winning? Again I see this comment alot yet the only one with a SB is Mahomes...

dsturgeon

Reaction score
You'd want to get rid of a QB that has won 3 Super Bowls in a row and entered the parthenon discussion of top 5 QB's of all time when he's still 33 and in his prime???? I can't even believe I have to explain this. Have a good weekend buddy, enjoy the tennis.

I should know better than reply in Dak hater threads.
Yes, I would rather have parsons, lamb, stars and depth on both sides of the line and in the backfield

And I think a young or cheap qb has a better chance to win than a 33 year old qb whos contract would not allow you to keep all of those and has lost without them

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Yes, I would rather have parsons, lamb, stars and depth on both sides of the line and in the backfield

And I think a young or cheap qb has a better chance to win than a 33 year old qb whos contract would not allow you to keep all of those and has lost without them
Win what? again if its SB or bust then really other than Mahomes what team has showed this brings home a trophy?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
other than Patrick Mahomes what young QB's are winning? Again I see this comment alot yet the only one with a SB is Mahomes...
I am not saying they will win the superbowl. I am saying if dak wins the next 3 superbowls, it is because of what is around him. If you lose what is around him because of his contract, we know the result. So far, Dak is a loser.

They should get a young or cheap qb that has potential and he can be a loser with a stacked team

I like Dak, I just like having a stacked team better

Last edited:

Chuck 54

Reaction score
but how long is the question especially if he's not getting you further than anything.
You do not drop him or refuse to pay him and gamble on nothing. You start drafting QBs, making reasonable deals like Lance, and you try to develop them. But SB or not, you don’t let a successful starting QB go until you have his successor ready. There are no guarantees, but if you see a young QB in practice that you think has what it takes, then it’s okay to make a move. That’s why you should be taking a mid to late round flier every 2 years on QBs. If you don’t think Dak is good enough to take you to the promised land, then it’s really stupid to have guys like Cooper Rush (lack of talent) and Grier (age) as backup QBs. You need to be developing guys whether they replace your starter or not.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
You do not drop him or refuse to pay him and gamble on nothing. You start drafting QBs, making reasonable deals like Lance, and you try to develop them. But SB or not, you don’t let a successful starting QB go until you have his successor ready. There are no guarantees, but if you see a young QB in practice that you think has what it takes, then it’s okay to make a move. That’s why you should be taking a mid to late round flier every 2 years on QBs. If you don’t think Dak is good enough to take you to the promised land, then it’s really stupid to have guys like Cooper Rush (lack of talent) and Grier (age) as backup QBs. You need to be developing guys whether they replace your starter or not.
Good point on the drafting 2 years, if only we didn't want to cause a qb controversy if that backup came in and played good for a game or 2

dsturgeon

Reaction score
What if sam williams gets 14 sacks this year, 17 next year, and 16 the year after, what if Clark is one of the top 5 lb'ers in the league the next 3 years, what if tyler Smith is one of the top 5 tackles in the league

along with the lamb, parsons, and other big dogs they need to sign

Would you pay top the league money for dak and risk losing those guys and depth in fear of what would happen with another qb?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That 2024 pick won't be top 15 unless Dak breaks his leg again.
Super Bowl winning QBs over the past 24 years that were top 15 picks:
.Dilfer
.Roethlisberger
.Payton Manning
.Eli Manning
.Mahomes
.Stafford (not a Rams draft pick)

Despite the SB wins, only 3 of those would be top 15 picks in a re-draft...

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Good point on the drafting 2 years, if only we didn't want to cause a qb controversy if that backup came in and played good for a game or 2
This angle is crazy, think for a second how important the Cowboys view the draft and every pick in it, they draft for starters so because they draft for starters they view a first round pick on a QB as a wasted pick when Dak is here...it has nothing to do with "QB Conterversy" because Jerry loves any and all media coverage...He would LOVE the media doing 3 segments a day on Dak and said backup competing instead of the 2 they are already doing on made up stuff.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
You'd want to get rid of a QB that has won 3 Super Bowls in a row and entered the parthenon discussion of top 5 QB's of all time when he's still 33 and in his prime???? I can't even believe I have to explain this. Have a good weekend buddy, enjoy the tennis and try the veal.

I should know better than reply in Dak hater threads.
Yeah but if you don't how would you know which dim bulbs to put on ignore ? My man it works wonders, click cllllllick oh another one clllllllllick

lopey

Reaction score
What if sam williams gets 14 sacks this year, 17 next year, and 16 the year after, what if Clark is one of the top 5 lb'ers in the league the next 3 years, what if tyler Smith is one of the top 5 tackles in the league

along with the lamb, parsons, and other big dogs they need to sign

Would you pay top the league money for dak and risk losing those guys and depth in fear of what would happen with another qb?
You are nuts lol

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Oh and back to the subject, Jerry is thinking towards the future. Mike McCarthy a renowned QB coach get's to work with Trey Lance for 3 to 4 years. The fifth year option point is moot as he hasn't done ish yet.

Dak is going to be a winner, hell HE IS A WINNER. That's called a win win

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Oh and back to the subject, Jerry is thinking towards the future. Mike McCarthy a renowned QB coach get's to work with Trey Lance for 3 to 4 years. The fifth year option point is moot as he hasn't done ish yet.

I would take a developed trey lance on a cheaper contract in 3 years over 33 year old dak

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Why do they need to sign him before March 2025?
Because if we’re unable to come to an agreement on an extension you run the risk of him entering free agency.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

ooh man this will rile them up.. you will hear about Dak's postseason record over and over and over until you memorize it...BUT Justin Herbert there is a winner just check his postseason record....

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would take a developed trey lance in 3 years over 33 year old dak
He would have to prove he’s developed enough that we can win games consistently with him before the Cowboys would move on from Dak. Lance may never amount to anything.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
ooh man this will rile them up.. you will hear about Dak's postseason record over and over and over until you memorize it...BUT Justin Herbert there is a winner just check his postseason record....
Herbert is younger and has potential in his future

Dak is older and has losing seasons in his past

Again, I like Dak, but there is a window

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What will happen first? The need to make a decision on an extension for Prescott or the realization that Lance is capable of being a NFL caliber QB1? March 2025 is 17 months away. Prescott is owed a considerable amount of money between now and then.
Future Cap Hits is not the same as money owed to the player.

Dak has already been paid all money on his contract except 34 million that he'll make for the 2024 season and the 34M is not guaranteed.

Realistically the decision would be about the starting QB for 2025.
- Dak vs Trey Lance or 2024 draft pick.

- Dak's performance for 2023 & 2024 would make that a much easier decision in March 2025 than making the decision now.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
Herbert is younger and has potential in his future

Dak is older and has losing seasons in his past

Again, I like Dak, but there is a window
Umm they just paid Herbert a BRINK TRUCKS worth of money it kinda blows your whole "Dont pay a QB" plan out the window.. does it not?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
Umm they just paid Herbert a BRINK TRUCKS worth of money it kinda blows your whole "Dont pay a QB" plan out the window.. does it not?
I am saying dont pay dak again in exchange for losing all the superstars they have been developing

If there is another worthy young qb to break the bank with, then I would. Otherwise I would go cheaper or young on a qb with a stacked team, and give the defense and weapons a shot to carry a lesser qb