Dak under contract in 23 & 24

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Why do they need to sign him before March 2025?

They can manage the big cap hit in 2024.

If they wait until March of 2025 when he becomes a free agent, would he really leave if the Cowboys match the best offer from another team?

He'll be 33 by the start of the 2025 season.
- If he is not an unquestioned top 5 QB by then, what's his open market value?
- If he is top 5, then give him a max contract and move on.

Between now and March 2025 they have an opportunity to develop a young QB.
- Trey Lance ?
- 2024 Draft Pick ?

McCarthy is known for developing QBs...

Big contract players gone by 2025:
Tyron
DLaw
Martin ?
Cooks
Gilmore

Other than Parsons, the only current roster young player that I expect to get a max type contract is Tyler Smith but that is 2 or 3 years away.

The real key to the cap in future years is to continue developing young players.
- They're going to need elite replacements for WR Cooks and CB Gilmore in a year or two.
So develop elite players at almost every position. Got it. :thumbup:

DCwarrior

Reaction score
If you’re comparing divisional round playoff losses to CC games and SB losses then we have nothing left to debate.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
When to keep or get rid of a qb is an interesting question

Aaron Rodgers is considered by some to be one of the best qb's of all time. I wonder if green bay fans in hindsight would trade him the year after his superbowl win and try to win other ways for the next 12 years

JonesBoys

Reaction score
I wouldn't give him another contract. They should keep drafting, developing young guys,stacking depth, and then give a loaded team to a young or cheaper qb
This has to be a make or break year for Dak on what direction they go with another contract. They certainly should see what happens this year before doing another contract.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Why do they need to sign him before March 2025?

They can manage the big cap hit in 2024.

If they wait until March of 2025 when he becomes a free agent, would he really leave if the Cowboys match the best offer from another team?

He'll be 33 by the start of the 2025 season.
- If he is not an unquestioned top 5 QB by then, what's his open market value?
- If he is top 5, then give him a max contract and move on.

Between now and March 2025 they have an opportunity to develop a young QB.
- Trey Lance ?
- 2024 Draft Pick ?

McCarthy is known for developing QBs...

Big contract players gone by 2025:
Tyron
DLaw
Martin ?
Cooks
Gilmore

Other than Parsons, the only current roster young player that I expect to get a max type contract is Tyler Smith but that is 2 or 3 years away.

The real key to the cap in future years is to continue developing young players.
- They're going to need elite replacements for WR Cooks and CB Gilmore in a year or two.
How exactly can they manage a $59 million cap hit in the final year of his contract without extending him? They will extend him next year if he plays well because it will lower his cap hit dramatically.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
How exactly can they manage a $59 million cap hit in the final year of his contract without extending him? They will extend him next year if he plays well because it will lower his cap hit dramatically.
I have not actually looked at his contract details. I assumed it was possible to pay it out

gimmesix

Reaction score
I have not actually looked at his contract details. I assumed it was possible to pay it out
He's owed $59.455 million next year. If we cut him, it would cost us $61.915 million. Even if we designated him a June 1 cut, that's $30 million per year over those two years.

Now, he does have two void years, so we could take some of his $29 million base and convert it into bonus to move some of the hit off of next year. But it would just increase the dead cap hit in 2025 when he's no longer under contract.

He also has a $5 million roster bonus that kicks in the fifth league day next year (but is figured into the salary cap number).

It would be very expensive for the team next year to do anything other than extend him. I mean, Lamar Jackson signed a megadeal earlier this year, but the first year of it is $22 million. The second year is $32 million. I think Dallas will be looking to accomplish something like that. Haven't seen Joe Burrow's numbers yet, but I would think there would be a similar escalation.

Dallas should be able to cut Dak's salary for next year in half with an extension.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
He's owed $59.455 million next year. If we cut him, it would cost us $61.915 million. Even if we designated him a June 1 cut, that's $30 million per year over those two years.

Now, he does have two void years, so we could take some of his $29 million base and convert it into bonus to move some of the hit off of next year. But it would just increase the dead cap hit in 2025 when he's no longer under contract.

He also has a $5 million roster bonus that kicks in the fifth league day next year (but is figured into the salary cap number).

It would be very expensive for the team next year to do anything other than extend him. I mean, Lamar Jackson signed a megadeal earlier this year, but the first year of it is $22 million. The second year is $32 million. I think Dallas will be looking to accomplish something like that. Haven't seen Joe Burrow's numbers yet, but I would think there would be a similar escalation.

Dallas should be able to cut Dak's salary for next year in half with an extension.
Are there any ways the cowboys could come up with the 59 milllion and be done?

Are there other players that can be cut and rookie contract guys take over? Get rid of guys like goodwin

In my posts earlier I had read something thinking dak had 3 years left, but that was with a new extension. I get it now. I would pay if off next year, and sign lance cheap or someone else

Last edited:

gimmesix

Reaction score
Are there any ways the cowboys could come up with the 59 milllion and be done?

Are there other players that can be cut and rookie contract guys take over?
It would be unusual for them to do that. According to Over the Cap, even with rollover money, we are currently projected to be $10 million over the cap. Some contracts will probably be restructured, but extending Dak would be an easy way to get under the cap and actually clear some space to use to re-sign other player or sign FAs.

CCBoy

Reaction score
OP would be a better GM than Jerry or Steve.

Unfortunately Jerry and Steve will probably give Dak 60 million per next off-season with little regard to how he performs.
He uses his own observations as well as analysis. I listen all the time.

Usually see merit in directions taken by Jerry, myself. I don't watch with an insult always in my own mouth as well.

Wait until the season is over before blaming Jerry now.

Quarterback merit is on the table. I am in no way doubting merit there, yet.

Tyron
DLaw
Martin ?
Cooks
Gilmore

Those will have to be worked through in cap and individual basis. Play this season for all five should be very strong.

Myself, I don't want to have to replace WR and QB next season to continue on facing top teams or Philadelphia in our own backyard.

Gambit

Reaction score
How many QBs have made it further than Dak in fewer years??
Why do people struggle so much in holding conversations? ( rhetorical)

Please answer the question I posed, then I'll answer yours.

This is the way

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Why do people struggle so much in holding conversations? ( rhetorical)

Please answer the question I posed, then I'll answer yours.

This is the way
I’m going to butt in and help. Five. Am I right?