Dak vs Costly QBs not making playoffs

khiladi

Reaction score
Dak's average passing yards per game this season is almost 250 and a 67.8% completion percentage.
For the type of offense we run that's not bad at all. This season he's had this year is almost a carbon copy statwise of his rookie year except a few more INTS and more yardage this year.

Admit you're just a troll who loathes Dak because his last name isn't Romo.

Dak started off the season with 5 out of 6 games not even breaking 200 yards. He had EIGHT games where he didn’t break 100. That’s his average a QB, no matter how much you try and smokescreen it.

He then padded his stats in a Commanders game in the fourth when all the Commanders did was play prevent and half the time instead of throwing down fis with wide open WRs, he tucked it and ran.

He then got 200 yards because the Eagles played single safety and press coverage with no safety help over the top and it took Dak almost forty minutes to challenge this man coverage against third string bums. Pretty much that yardage was YAC by Cooper and guess what? He can’t find Cooper anymore.

Against the Saints pretty much all of Dak’s passing yardage came in the same context. Saints switched to zone in the second half and Dak was absolute trash and almost choked away the game with his back-peddling fumble in the red zone territory.

mardwin

Reaction score
I posted this not so much about Dak as about how many teams with top paid QBs and “great stats” didn’t make the playoffs.

I wonder if having the #1 rusher in the league and a top 10 D has anything to do with it.

superonyx

Reaction score
3 of those QB’s have been to a SB, 2 were just signed this year to FA big deal and the other two are proven QB’s.

The list of QB’s in the playoffs is more impressive.
Brady, Brees, Rivers, Goff, Mahommes, Luck and few more up and coming young stars who are the difference in their teams new fortune.

If you don’t have a QB, your looking for one.

I’m not sure what the intent or narration is here picking a few QB who didn’t make the playoffs? Does this mean Dak is a greater QB than they are?
Premature to put Goff on that list of guys who are difference makers on their team.
Pretty sure Matt Ryan, Rodgers, or any one of the guys who missed the playoffs would do just as well and maybe better if they were on the Rams.

Somehow Goff seems to have been given a ticket to the express lane of greatness.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I am hoping they end up around 18-20 million cap hit max....Matt Ryan-ish type deal.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Dak made $725K in salary this year including workout bonus. And he led to 10 wins and the NFC east division title. Interesting stat on many otherhighly paid franchise QBs- Seven of the NFL’s highest paid QBs did not make the playoffs. These guys combined for 40 wins.

Aaron Rodgers: $33.5M
Matt Ryan: $30M
Kirk Cousins: $28M
Jimmy Garoppolo: $27.5M
Matthew Stafford: $27M
Derek Carr: $25M
Ben Roethlisberger $23M

Obviously Jimmy G missed most of the season but those top 3- Rodgers, Ryan and Cousins combined cost their teams a whopping $91 million this year and they did not even make the playoffs.

Hmmmm......
This is what starting QBs get paid in the NFL. The market is set; so therefore they are not over paid. When Dak gets his 25-30 mil; he will not be overpaid based on the market.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that the message is that while having a QB is paramount, overpaying can strap your team right out of the playoffs.
This. Green Bay is a perfect example. Rodgers is getting $33 million, but they can’t keep very many other good players long term.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is what starting QBs get paid in the NFL. The market is set; so therefore they are not over paid. When Dak gets his 25-30 mil; he will not be overpaid based on the market.
Who said he would be overpaid?

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Premature to put Goff on that list of guys who are difference makers on their team.
Pretty sure Matt Ryan, Rodgers, or any one of the guys who missed the playoffs would do just as well and maybe better if they were on the Rams.

Somehow Goff seems to have been given a ticket to the express lane of greatness.

Lol-no kidding. Goff did have more passing yds and passing td's than Dak, Dak bested him with fewer int's, better completion and more rushing td's.

QB rating-Goff 101.1 vs 96.9

Curiously when you add Cooper to Dallas and take away Kupp from the Rams, the number skew towards Dak.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This. Green Bay is a perfect example. Rodgers is getting $33 million, but they can’t keep very many other good players long term.
They did for a long time with Rodgers as the Packers went to 8 consecutive playoffs including 1 Super Bowl and 3 championship games.

Only Brady and the Patriots had a better run in same time frame. This was the first year the Packers have missed the playoffs when Rodgers was standing.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Overpaying a QB only cripples the team if he’s not great enough to elevate those around him.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Overpaying a QB only cripples the team if he’s not great enough to elevate those around him.
And teams may want to be more creative in the contracts they make with QBs. Perhaps more guaranteed money but on a shorter contract. Which could potentially lower the cap hit.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And teams may want to be more creative in the contracts they make with QBs. Perhaps more guaranteed money but on a shorter contract. Which could potentially lower the cap hit.
You lock a QB up long term if your afraid he could fetch more money elsewhere.

The key is not over evaluating your own guy. I don’t guess any of us have that concern that Jerry will over evaluate Dak?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What do you think Dak would fetch in Free Agency?

And do you think we’ll pay more than that?

The reason I ask is I don’t blame players for seeking it. I blame Ownership for paying it.

Doomsday77

Reaction score
Colleges have to rebuild their programs every 3 or 4 years with new Qb’s.

The NFL is churning their rosters almost yearly now why not do something similar with QB unless he’s a top 10?
Didn't we get a top 10 QB in the 2016 draft? Whose standards are you using? NFL.COM top 5 QB's listed: 1. Wentz, 2. Goff, 3. Lynch, 4. Cook (who?) and 5. Hackenberg. So 2 out of 5 lived up to expectations. Most overrated in draft by NFL.COM? Dak, "...he will be a career backup" LMAO. No one knows how the QB is going to do until they start playing so if you are going to "re-tool" every 5 years as suggested you might as well roll the dice.

I think we need to pay the man.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What do you think Dak would fetch in Free Agency?

And do you think we’ll pay more than that?

The reason I ask is I don’t blame players for seeking it. I blame Ownership for paying it.
That’s an interesting question. We have to wait and see what Dak does in the playoffs. If he doesn’t play well, his value will drop some. If he plays well and the team wins a game or two in the playoffs his value obviously goes up. Classic catch 22.

I think the wisest approach with Dak is to offer a guaranteed amount but for 5 years. Something like 5 years,
$100 mil guaranteed. That’s a lot but it actually would give the team more flexibility than a 10 year deal with sliding scale increases every year. That would be harder to eat later if they had to.