Dak vs. other options

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm saying, why would we pay Dak like he's Mahomes? Why not give him a deal like Jimmy G has or Tannehill is going to get? I'd rather have either of them over Dak.

Franchise tag, please.
I don't think we would pay Dak like he's Mahomes. If Mahomes were negotiating he might be in the $40+ million range.

As for Jimmy G. and Tannehill, they were negotiating from a very different position than Dak is. Jimmy G. was a backup who had only started something like 6-8 NFL games at that point, and Tannehill had a terrible 2018 season, got cut, and was being negotiated with as a backup QB in Tennessee. Both of those guys would get better deals if they were negotiating today.

CB61

Reaction score
I'm not going to talk about stats, because although Dak's season stats were huge, stats alone don't tell the story. For example, he was really somewhat below what his statistical ranking in yardage reflects. I want to consider championship capability - a much more difficult thing to rank than stats, but ultimately that's the goal.

As for championship level QB's, the proven guys are Brady, Brees, Rodgers and Wilson. And Brady had a down year and both he and Brees are in their 40's. Then there is Mahomes, who hasn't yet won, but has talent above possibly any other QB, and who most feel is capable of winning the Super Bowl. Obviously most Cowboy fans would take him over Dak.

That's a grand total of 5 guys that are considered championship level QB's, and it took 20 years worth of drafts to have those guys at this point in time. They don't grow on trees.

Then what? Watson? Wentz? Cousins? Garoppolo? Ryan? You could make an argument for those guys over Dak, but you could make an argument for Dak too. When it comes to it, Dak falls somewhere in that group, and reasonable people can disagree on exactly where.

Which, at the end of the day, is pretty good company in terms of the hierarchy of NFL QB's. It's not Wilson or Rodgers level, but neither is it Mayfield or Winston level, and nowhere near Dalton and Darnold level.

My conclusion is that while I agree Dak still has questions to answer, and the decision on what the Cowboys should be willing to pay is a tough one, I think fans are unreasonably thinking in terms of the team absolutely having to have a Brady/Brees/Rodgers/Wilson/Mahomes level QB, and that's not realistic. You shoot for it, but do you shoot yourself in the foot blindly hoping for it?
Looks like we're going to have to find a backup quarterback I'm hoping McCarthy find somebody that will push Prescott

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Tennehill and Bridgewater are options if they come at a 30-40% discount from Dak. I think they are good options for the Cowboys in that scenario. The $ you save on Dak you could use to replace the player you were going to take in the first round where you are going to now take QB

Burrow and Tua are probably going to go in the top 5. Then you have Herbert and Fromm that are possibilities....

Jones' are not doing that. They have their trailer hitched to Dak and I understand, but he is not worth 35 million to their team no matter how you slice it!

QB probably represents the lowest area of need for the Cowboys.

35 million is the going rate for a top 10 QB in the NFL.

Section446

Reaction score
Tag him and draft his replacement, dude isn't a championship QB, let's take our chances with someone else.

aikemirv

Reaction score
QB probably represents the lowest area of need for the Cowboys.

35 million is the going rate for a top 10 QB in the NFL.
Going rate does not mean he is worth it or that he will carry your team to the Super Bowl. A Qb that gets 35-40 mill has to be able to make up for a couple skills positions that you won’t be able to sign because of it.

Leta do it because other teams are doing it is not a winning strategy!

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't understand the need to continue starting thread after thread hating on Dak. He is the starting QB of your Dallas Cowboys and will continue to do so after he signs a long term contract. He will probably sign in the neighborhood of Russel Wilson, not because he's as good or better as Russel, but because he is the next QB up for a new contract. After a year or so, his contract will not even be in the top 5-7 of NFL QB's. That's the way it works. Only Brady has won more games than Dak, in the time Dak has been in the NFL. And an even dumber thing is to say that you would rather have a journeyman QB and save the money for other players. If that worked, all the teams would be doing it. Furthermore, it doesn't matter who the Cowboy's QB is, some of you fools would try to run him out town immediately. Aikman and Romo got the same treatment. And finally, Wentz, Goff, Carr, Garapolo, Wilson, Tannehill and even Brees and Brady would fair no better than Dak, if they played under Garrett and his Jr. High offense.

zeke21

Reaction score
My thoughts on Dak are pretty clear.. but I just want to know if all those who continue to think Dak 'deserves' the contract and is the 'best option out there' etc etc.. really actually watch the rest of the league.

Head to head is Tannehill better than Dak? Skill wise I'd say yes but I would be ok if you thought Dak was better. Stat wise.. Dak is well ahead. Well ahead.

But I sit here and I would absolutely trade every single one of Daks near 5000 passing yards this season for the measly 88 yards Tannehill put up this week. Titans showed that you still CAN ride a top line and RB, along with stout defence, to a deep playoff run. I still believe a quality QB is essential and probably the 'ideal' scenario.. but Dak is not elite and never will be. I don't give a crap how many junk yards he puts up. 88 yards and the guy gets to go to the championship game.. something we cowboys fans haven't been a part of for almost two decades.

Stop with the stats and BS.. if we pay Dak then we can't improve our defence (which sorely needs upgrades at multiple positions) and we can't replace our TE depth and keep strong WRs and keep depth in our Oline. Dak himself (ie his skill set) may almost be enough (if you take away his ego and inaccuracy) to get us enough wins.. but if you pay him the dollars he wants.. we are sunk. End of story.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Tagging him is not that simple,Dak may not want to play if he is tagged especially when they were so close to a deal.

Plus dallas is already in a bind with the cap and their free agents. Hard to see them tagging dak for like 35mil.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Here's my post from another thread to what we should do:

Tl;dr: Tag Dak and draft a rookie. Use 2020 for Dak like the Chiefs used Smith in 2017. If he fails to step up to the plate, go with the rookie and let Dak walk or see if he's willing to take a discount once he realizes the market for him isn't high.

If we go with the rookie, honestly, tell me, what's the worst that could happen? Some will say "We will waste the careers of Zeke or Amari or Gallup!" Is Dak not doing that right now? He hasn't lead this team to a Superbowl either. So, at worst, the rookie will do the same.
Others will say "We could go 0-16 with the rookie!"
Truly, what's the difference between 0-16 and 8-8 if you miss the playoffs with 8-8? Ultimately with both records, you miss the ultimate goal (The Superbowl). Only difference is draft pick number. There is no difference. Honestly, right now, tell me, would you rather miss the playoffs at 0-16 with a higher draft pick or miss the playoffs at 8-8 with the #17 draft pick? I understand you can still draft a bust a #1, but the entire draft is literally in your hands. You can pick ANYONE. Can't do that at 17.

why are the options 8-8 or 0-16?

what about 10-6 and a playoff win?

is the bar every year Super Bowl or churn the roster?

do you honestly think that the Cowboys are not going to be better next year?

Kwyn

Reaction score
Tag him. Bring in a QB or two or three, 7, 11......make Dak prove he's the guy. At least make him improve.

Nobody wants to rock that boat. They're fine with bringing in an unproven coach but not drafting a QB? Are you kidding me?
Which unproven coach?

McCarthy?

there are eight NFL head coaches who have won a super bowl

only one of them has won more than one.

not sure “unproven” makes a bit of sense

Kwyn

Reaction score
I would figure out some way to get Cincinnati's pick. Pay what's necessary.

Joe Burrow please.

Tag Dak in the meantime.
Tell me more. The draft analysis tools out there indicate we would need 3 first round picks in the mid teens to match the value of the #1 overall

not to mention the fact that Cincinnati os desperate for a QB. They’ve been planning on taking the best available QB the entire season.

there’s no way they trade out of that pick. I bet we could offer five #1s and they’d still have to think about it

Retro88

Reaction score
Dak Prescott is QB1 for the Cowboys. Get use to it. He's gonna be here for a while. Dak has yet to even have a losing season so all this trash about not being able to win with him is precisely that.

It blows my mind that the same folks who wanted to draft Johnny Football, Paxton Lynch, and Connor Cook before having Dak fall into our lap, are the same guys you want to gamble our future.

Dak isnt elite but we have won a lot of games with him. We can win with him. You all know that. You know the numbers too

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't care what it cost just make it happen, Jerry!!!

PHOTO-The-Most-Boss-Picture-You-Will-Ever-See-Of-Joe-Burrow-Puffing-On-A-Cigar-Leg-Crossed-Over-Arm-On-Sofa-With-No-Cares-In-The-World.jpg

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Can't wait for Jerry to pay Dak his $33+ mil/year new contract so that these ridiculous threads will stop.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Can't wait for Jerry to pay Dak his $33+ mil/year new contract so that these ridiculous threads will stop.

You've been waiting since last Spring....you might be waiting an eternity!!!
Wake up that contract number ain't gonna happen for Dak from ANY NFL team!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
You've been waiting since last Spring....you might be waiting an eternity!!!
Wake up that contract number ain't gonna happen for Dak from ANY NFL team!
Just make sure you honor your word to stay away for a whole season once Dak gets his new big contract from Jerry. It's coming...

mardwin

Reaction score
We could very well see Ryan Tannehill and Jimmy Garrapolo in the Super Bowl.

Why pay Dak $175 million?

Because our GM is not very good at negotiating players contacts and believes everyone on the roster is an all pro. He paid an RB $90M, then another $105M. It wouldn't surprise me if Dak gets $30M+ for the next 7 years. A good GM would just apply the transition tag and let the market establish Daks value.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
When I started out I made $208 a month wearing green, carrying a weapon in the jungle with my life on the line. But by all means let's have pity on some some poor kid making $2.3 million playing in comfy stadium!

Crying in a corner would do him good. He needs to earn the position. If he's as good as you think, what's the problem?
Thank you for your service.

Fastpitch Dad

Reaction score
Tennehill and Bridgewater are options if they come at a 30-40% discount from Dak. I think they are good options for the Cowboys in that scenario. The $ you save on Dak you could use to replace the player you were going to take in the first round where you are going to now take QB

Burrow and Tua are probably going to go in the top 5. Then you have Herbert and Fromm that are possibilities....

Jones' are not doing that. They have their trailer hitched to Dak and I understand, but he is not worth 35 million to their team no matter how you slice it!
Good post, agree with everything you said.