Dak vs. Romo - Deep passing

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
No, not really... the reason it got shutdown is because the NFL wants to control it all through social media crap.

Since when did it have to be only one cause. If you guys had better content then it would not have shut down.

I have posted on most boards over the past decade or so but never bothered over there because of how insipid it was.

zerofill

Reaction score
Since when did it have to be only one cause. If you guys had better content then it would not have shut down.

I have posted on most boards over the past decade or so but never bothered over there because of how insipid it was.

There are jerk offs everywhere... even here. There was also good debates and discussions there as well.

When you take a bunch of people and dump them all into one pot... you never know what dish you are going to be serving... None of us are the same, or think the same, etc...

The thing with forums, and text stuff in general... I never get angry over crap said on a forum. People that do, have issues.

zerofill

Reaction score
Although if I know someone gets irritated and angry reading posts... I will occasionally drive them nuts lol. They will think I am in a heated discussion with them, when I am actually laughing about it.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That may be true (stats being flawed) but so is the old eye ball test and claims Dak doesn't throw it deep, like we were some deep passing team to begin with. That hasn't stopped people from pulling crap out of their rear ends to complain though. I don't imagine that's ever going to change.

Your stats in the OP are bad. As I stated it views a 1 yard pass the same as a 10 yard pass.

Romo's career yards per attempt would have ranked 3rd for last season.

Last season Dak was 20th.

I can draw no clearer distinction than that.

Romo led a much more aggressive downfield attack. Period. There can be no serious discussion to the contrary.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Your stats in the OP are bad. As I stated it views a 1 yard pass the same as a 10 yard pass.

Romo's career yards per attempt would have ranked 3rd for last season.

Last season Dak was 20th.

I can draw no clearer distinction than that.

Romo led a much more aggressive downfield attack. Period. There can be no serious discussion to the contrary.
Well, if you can find other stats that show Dak and Romo throw deep passes more often than the ESPN splits say they did, please share. Seems like both are dink and dunk QBs I guess. And I am sure any stats you can come up with, I can also cast doubt on those numbers, like you are attempting to do. I welcome your numbers though.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Well, if you can find other stats that show Dak and Romo throw deep passes more often than the ESPN splits say they did, please share. Seems like both are dink and dunk QBs I guess. And I am sure any stats you can come up with, I can also cast doubt on those numbers, like you are attempting to do. I welcome your numbers though.
I just told you that Tony's YPA for his career would rank 3rd in the nfl last year. Dak was 20th. What does that tell you?

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I just told you that Tony's YPA for his career would rank 3rd in the nfl last year. Dak was 20th. What does that tell you?
That it includes yards after catch and is junk for the point I was making. Want to try again?

Reactions: G2

HungryLion

Reaction score

Dak’s yards per attempt the previous year, was as high as Romo’s career average.

So, even if you use that statistic it shows that Dak has shown an ability to throw downfield. At least for half of his career thus far.

Number1

Reaction score
"I just told you that Tony's YPA for his career would rank 3rd in the nfl last year. Dak was 20th. What does that tell you?" That it includes yards after catch and is junk for the point I was making. Want to try again?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
There are jerk offs everywhere... even here. There was also good debates and discussions there as well.

When you take a bunch of people and dump them all into one pot... you never know what dish you are going to be serving... None of us are the same, or think the same, etc...

The thing with forums, and text stuff in general... I never get angry over crap said on a forum. People that do, have issues.

The issue is that regular social norms do not carry over the to the web and it also gives other a sense of callous impunity. It's schadenfreude run amok.

Sure a forum has all types. On balance I found the DC.com forums insipid nonetheless. Forums do take on character all their own. I can understand why you would want to differentiate though.

i don't mind people being jerks. I do mind stupid though.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Dak’s yards per attempt the previous year, was as high as Romo’s career average.

So, even if you use that statistic it shows that Dak has shown an ability to throw downfield. At least for half of his career thus far.
Dak's intended air yards per attempt put him in the bottom 20 range EACH of the last two years.

Unfortunately we do not have these stats for Romo.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Maybe if Romo threw it deep more often we could have won more playoff games.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
You don't understand my argument and are repeating yourself. I'm bringing up the comprehensive stats for a reason.

If he is ranked near the top in one category but overall he is ranked mediocre then that tells you something about how the remainder of his game is ranked. Something amongst the remainder would have to be far below average so the overall settles to 16th.

If he has a result far above average for 10% of his plays -plays that by definition garner tremendous yardage- then something has to balance him out so that his overall settles down to his .1%.

What do you think is dragging his averages down?

I understand your argument, but the answer is not what you think. ("Something amongst the remainder would have to be far below average.") His passer rating was SLIGHTLY below average on passes shorter than 20 yards. When all of the splits are combined, it comes out to about average. Being 20 points higher on less than 9 percent of your total passes doesn't raise your overall rating that much.