Dak vs Zone

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Let's wait a few more games but it appears Dak has taken his game to the next level.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Spacing is important in beating the zone, something Kelmo’s plays absolutely sucked at doing. Motion, routes that move across zones, and plays that can get behind the zone are key. As with anything you need players that can run precise routes, have good speed, and a QB that can throw accurately. Easier said than done, obviously. It’s not rocket science by any means….

conner01

Reaction score
Show me what beat zone against SF last year in the playoffs?

What did the QBs do good? Or was it play design?
It’s not just the QB that beats zone. Some recievers are better at finding the soft spot in zone. But reads are less clear in zone than nan. Simply because you only have to see one defender instead of possibly multiple defenders. Every good QB loves man coverage. It’s just easier to read the coverage

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Was that from PFF Premium? Love stats like that.
What's hilarious is that the numbers say the exact opposite of the latest narrative that Dak somehow struggles against zone. He's actually MUCH better against zone than against man by a country mile. But nobody has even bothered to address that fact.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
What's hilarious is that the numbers say the exact opposite of the latest narrative that Dak somehow struggles against zone. He's actually MUCH better against zone than against man by a country mile. But nobody has even bothered to address that fact.
Kind of funny how the Eagles fan posts a quick stat proving or disproving the argument while Cowboys fans go off on their own tangents.

This might be another reason why other fans hate Cowboys fans. LOL

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Hey...Im just trying to squelch the never ending "Dak isnt starting material" threads.

Main go-to for Anti-Dakers is his ability to read zone, slow release and unwillingness to throw into tight windows causing passes to be late.

I said show me proof that all these other starting QBs are doing better against zone.

Seems reasonable to me to ask for proof that he is so bad against zone compared with other QBs that he doesnt deserve a job in the NFL.

Or...you can let a message board get over-run with hate and unreasonableness. Who benefits from that? Hmmm. Is this real? Hmmm. Every message board is over run with hate and unreasonableness. Odd pattern.

I was just trying to squash the hate threads and posts. Guess the World wants hate for progression of something. Seems like more intelligent beings would figure it out without hate or torture science. But Im the crazy guy pointing out that for some odd reason every message board is over run with hate, toxic-ness and unreasonableness. Easiest thing to do is just call me names and side step the issue.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Spacing is important in beating the zone, something Kelmo’s plays absolutely sucked at doing. Motion, routes that move across zones, and plays that can get behind the zone are key. As with anything you need players that can run precise routes, have good speed, and a QB that can throw accurately. Easier said than done, obviously. It’s not rocket science by any means….
exactly, zone is designed not to give up big plays, but by the same token it gives up a lot of plays underneath and in short and medium zones. the way to beat it is have WRs that can get to the outside to force the deep safties away from the middle, have a TE or routes that attack the seam, to challenge the other teams' MLBs to cover deep and thus it opens up the middle where you can attack with crossing routes. you free up recievers by putting them in motion.

and just be disciplined to take the play it gives you.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
Here it is yall. The Dak vs other QBs that beat zone thread.

Can anyone with tech skills, All-22 and a decent understanding of x and o's show how Dak is lacking vs other QB's around the league vs zone when using play calls that dont use motion and dont use cross routes.

Motion and cross routes have repeatedly been screamed for to beat zone on here.

Can anyone provide visual evidence through youtube or All-22 that shows other QBs repeatedly beating zone defenses that Dak is failing at? Can you provide enough visual evidence that suggests Dak had enough time vs these other QB's whom didnt have motion or cross routes to beat zone. Can you provide evidence that some other QB, without motion and zone, is making the right read, audible, throw, play to beat zone on a regular basis?

Which QB's and what are they doing that beats zone so efficiently? Play call design is not on Dak because he is not designing the routes. Show me QB's that dont use motion or cross routes routinely that are beating zone with their good reads and feel for game plus good throw.

Is it time in pocket? Is it ability to scan field? Is it ability to go through progressions? Just flat out play making with arm? What is it? Can anyone provide video evidence of Dak failing consistently vs other QBs in similar play call position?

Is there anything? Bueller? Bueller?

State your case.

Dak threw an INT shortly after Giants went into zone Sunday. That supports Anti-Dak crowd. Im suggesting to show me more.

I am of the belief, and I dont watch film, Dak relies on TE too much which could be on Dak. Dak looks for TE to beat zone and teams sit on top of it or bait him into it. A lot of his INT seem to be to the TE in zone. Its on Dak for sure...but is it play calling uncreativity or Dak? Dak ultimately throws the ball...but is it play calling or something else. What is it like compared to the rest of the league in similar play calling situation as Dak? Whats it like for other QBs that have to throw into zone that dont rely on motion or cross routes and dump to TE? How are they better?

This crap about Dak not reading the zone is a myth. Dak can read any coverage they try and throw at him. Show some respect for the guy.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This type of film and stat analysis is useless.

It supports the folks who want to prop Dak up but it doesn’t move the folks who want to see playoff success even an inch.

The Dak debate won’t reach a meaningful until the post season.
"It helps people who want to frame the debate in a way I don't like. The real debate is the one that's framed the way I like it."

blueblood70

Reaction score
You all three make valid points.. I just think that this current version of Dak can beat the SF defense. IF the offensive line can continue to gel. Remember that any potential rematch is 10 weeks away. That gives Steele another two and half months to strengthen that knee. It gives the Smith brothers two and a half more months working side by side. It gives Zack and Biadasz two and a half more months to heal up. Not saying the Cowboys beat the 49ers next time.. but how many here saw them boat racing the Bucs last year in the playoffs with the image of that horrid week one performance fresh in our minds? 3-19 to 31-14? Which should have been 35 if Maher makes a damn kick. That game should teach us that it CAN and does happen. A team can kick your tail the first time around but you can figure things out the next time. And I really think Dak and this offense have figured a LOT of things out these last four weeks.
Of course I'd rather lose to them in the regular season and beat them in the postseason...

Put away I also think people forget 2021 you cannot have 11 penalties on the offensive line alone and four on the defense and spot them all those free yards and do overs and big plays call back against the team like that and then go and blame your quarterback oh Prescott can't beat the 49ers you mean his offensive line and a lack of a run game and anybody but CD lamb just sitting around waiting for things to happen IE doing nothing.... I mean show me that dominant run game dominant offensive line that Troy and Roger got to have in the playoffs for their big runs.... When we see that we will see Prescott be able to win more games that's just how it works...

This will be forever a team game.... Dak's team has not been good against the 49ers period end of story and now the defense joined that club....

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Show me Qbs beating that zone and what they are doing so well?

Is it thier OLine? Is that on Dak? Is it their reading and playmaking and arm? Show me that.
You are asking questions that take a lot of resources and work to be answered. Getting the needed resources takes investment and the work takes time and so money too.

What would one benefit from by investing so much time and effort ? Convince you? Convince someone unknown on an anonymous board? Who maybe writes those kind of posts just to let people with different opinions than him look silly? And btw i dont think you want to be convinced or are interessted in a real conversation.

But anyways...

I could do all that work for you. But i need a real compensation for spending so much time and brainwork into that. I am a professinal IT engineer who gets payed 180 Euros netto/h. I would consider that kind of work you are asking for around 3 weeks of research and another week of fixing everything together and writing. Thats 4weeks x 5d x 8h/day x 180 Euros = 28.800 Euros netto. + 19% = 34.727 Euros brutto.

If you are willing to pay me i am willing to spend my working time on your answers. PM me and i will send you the contract with all the details.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
You are asking questions that take a lot of resources and work to be answered. Getting the needed resources takes investment and the work takes time and so money too.

What would one benefit from by investing so much time and effort ? Convince you? Convince someone unknown on an anonymous board? Who maybe writes those kind of posts just to let people with different opinions than him look silly? And btw i dont think you want to be convinced or are interessted in a real conversation.

But anyways...

I could do all that work for you. But i need a real compensation for spending so much time and brainwork into that. I am a professinal IT engineer who gets payed 180 Euros netto/h. I would consider that kind of work you are asking for around 3 weeks of research and another week of fixing everything together and writing. Thats 4weeks x 5d x 8h/day x 180 Euros = 28.800 Euros netto. + 19% = 34.727 Euros brutto.

If you are willing to pay me i am willing to spend my working time on your answers. PM me and i will send you the contract with all the details.
or...just simply admit its all some psychological study that doesnt add up. more haters than reasonable posters...everywhere? it doesnt make sense. its a lie...and you know it. youre only comeback is distract, attack or go silent. every message board...run over by hate...yet we have suburbs with "individuals" acting good for the most part. it doesnt add up. youre saying people are evil online but decent in person. ok.

the story line doesnt add up.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
Seek help.
Seek good.

Seeking numbers leads to bi-polarism.

Figure it out without hurting others.

How about that.

Or...are you not smart enough?

I suspect youre into the "gotta experience the lows to experience the highs" non-sense. or the con-man speak "itll will be worth it in the end". Or..."Utopia is a Dystopia" trash. All con-man comebacks that are into manipulating you into giving your all for MAYBE a small something in return. All Con-Man speak comebacks.

Last edited:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
This crap about Dak not reading the zone is a myth. Dak can read any coverage they try and throw at him. Show some respect for the guy.
Yeah I am still awaiting the people who claim Dak struggles against zone to splain why his passing numbers are WAAAAY better against zone than against man. My guess would be because early in the season his receivers were struggling to beat press man coverage and Dak was having to keep everything short either because of poor pass protection or that was his marching orders. Since week 5 he has pretty much given that dink and dunk approach the middle finger and opened up a can on whatever defense they throw at him. I also think you can see that the route combinations are doing a lot better job of creating separation as well.