News: Dak Wants Cowboys To Pay Him ‘Right Behind Mahomes’ - And Pay Him ‘Respect’

black label

Reaction score
tenor.gif

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think our team has a higher ceiling with a cheap QB then they do a close to Mahomes paid Dak Prescott.

Dak has 1 wildcard win on the best contract in pro sports. Giving him the worst contract in pro sports keeps the floor mediocre but makes the ceiling mediocre.

Like I've said.. I'd rather be terrible then mediocre. It's time to take a risk and avoid this dumb deal.

They didn't draft one impact player during Dak's whole rookie deal and they didn't bring in any impact defensive free agents. That is why the Cowboys underachieved on Dak's rookie deal. What is the excuse for not signing one big free agent while Dak was making $1 million a year? The front office has to do better either way, if they pay Dak or move on.

Creeper

Reaction score
Here is a link to Mahomes's contract on Sportrac. Take a look at how it is structured. Would you do this for Dak?

Lower the Average salary to $40 million since Dak is not Patrick Mahomes. Maybe take off 2 years since Dak is older than Mahomes. This contract means Mahomes will be a Chief for his entire career. But if he gets hurt and ends his career the CAP damage is somewhat limited by the fact that the roster bonuses are the primary drivers of his compensation. I think the Chiefs can decide how much of his roster bonuses they want to take in each year and how much they will spread out.

Jerry should ask Dak, if he would be willing to sign an 8 years deal averaging $40 million a year. Such a deal would give the Cowboys CAP relief in 2021 and 2022, just as Majomes's contract does. By 2023, the Cowboys can make some other roster decisions to free up additional CAP space, like cutting Zeke, and maybe DLaw, Jaylon and even Cooper.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I'm not trying to push anything. I thought of preceding my estimation with the word "presumably", but I didn't for a reason. Based on France's quote by Slater, he's saying Dak wants to be paid "right behind" Mahomes. Since the second highest paid QB Watson averages $39 mil, I feel like my $40-44 million estimation was exactly right. And I never said I agree with it, just that I'm not surprised.

First all you did was quote Jane Slater who DID NOT have a direct quote from France or Prescott. All she has done is speculate just like all the rest of the sportswriters pushing that unconfirmed rumor. When you get an actual direct quote from anyone that is actually involved in the negotiations, then you can pound your chest on your guesswork.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Gee, I wonder why a QB would want out of Dallas?

It's almost as if Dak, and his agent, know this is a loser organization as long as Jerry and Stephen are playing fantasy football.

I can't imagine what gave them that idea. :rolleyes:

Well, if it is, his agent is responsible for a lot of it. France pulled this same crap with Romo and basically insured several years of .500 type football. If winning was so important to France, he wouldn't be trying to duplicate the same exact situation and results IMO.

Colombiacowboy

Reaction score
I hope he is saving his money from this year because at this rate he will be out of the league in two years. He may be the next Kap.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Gave you a like but I don't speak Russian but i promise to look that up

Haven't read the whole thread so maybe it's already been translated but in short, it means:

Nope.... See you when I see you.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
This take always confuses me .......I'm pretty sure the Cowboys knows exactly what he's worth on the open market. For the most part, ALL 32 NFL teams are using the same evaluating principles/standards for starting QBs. Now that not to say there won't be a team or two willing to overpay if they want him bad enough but his market value is likely in a similar range for all teams. A good example is what the Rams traded for Stafford. McVay wanted him bad so he intentionally overpaid but reports from all other offers were very similar ( one 1st and 2nd or 3rd round pick ).
No they don’t. Besides, there’s a difference. All we have to do is pay him. All other teams would have to give up 2 first round draft picks AND pay him. If our FO doesn’t want to pay him what he’s demanding, then let him see if another team is willing to and part with the picks. If they’re not, then his bargaining chips go down greatly unless he’d like to chance another tagged year.