Dak's arms

Qcard

Reaction score
Actually what cern said is true. Your release determines a lot of the accuracy. A higher release tends to make the ball sail. Some people when they try to ‘strong arm’ a throw tend to release high, causing the ball to sail. The point and angle at which the ball is released determines a ton of the accuracy. They teach elbow angles a lot
Agreed.

It's freakish athletes like Rodgers and Mahomes would defy the laws of launch angles...just Amazing

Did you see Mahomes elbow angle on TD pass this past weekend...clearly explains why MLB pitchers make 100 millions.

Dak's mechanics have regressed

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Whilst I mostly agree with you as to why Dak struggles with anticipation and accuracy, but we also agree how he builds his body in off-season translates into on field production.

I think he's added 5-7lbs muscle to his frame anticipating Read/option and QB keeper plays. Size to play that style is required or you'll get broken see Griffin.

Dak is NOT freakishly talented enough to maintain mechanics with change to size.

In 2016 Dak made every throw in the route tree. He trusted Witten in the middle and down harsh marks/ seams.

Dak missed an anticipated dig route to Jarwin..

Offense needs an overhaul..NFC championship would reduce to fine tuneup
Dak is no more/less accurate now than he was in 2016. They've asked him to do more as a passer, and it's sort of exposed some of his flaws. There's nothing wrong with his mechanics now that weren't wrong in 2016.

At the end of the day, he is not a natural passer - he can't just flick his wrist and deliver or throw from awkward angles. He has to have perfect mechanics and timing to be consistent, and when he does, he has plenty of arm talent. The problem is that he doesn't see down the field well, and that interferes with everything else. That's the same today as it's always been.

Qcard

Reaction score
Dak is no more/less accurate now than he was in 2016. They've asked him to do more as a passer, and it's sort of exposed some of his flaws. There's nothing wrong with his mechanics now that weren't wrong in 2016.

At the end of the day, he is not a natural passer - he can't just flick his wrist and deliver or throw from awkward angles. He has to have perfect mechanics and timing to be consistent, and when he does, he has plenty of arm talent. The problem is that he doesn't see down the field well, and that interferes with everything else. That's the same today as it's always been.
Yes, we are saying the same thing just differently.
Dak was asked to do more in 2016 as a passer because we had a team built for Romo..a Gunslinger whom was coached into a pocket passer.
In 2018 with this roster Dak had a committee passing scheme then Amari adjustment.

Dak has flaws like every other QB. But in this era of pass happy, protect the QB era Dak's flaws are somehow considered insurmountable to Qbing a team to the Superbowl.

I am an neaderthal... I guess I can still enjoy a game where the QB was still a ball carrier.
I believe majority of the Cowboy fans would hate watching Staubach.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
On another note, one of my brothers and I went to visit my mom's grave on Christmas Eve morning. Couldn't help but stop by the Rose for a few breakfast beers! Salud!!!
Salud, brother!!! Hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas, Coach!

Need to join you soon at the Texas Rose!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anyone studied it close enough to account for hurried throws? Is there any consistency to his inconsistencies? If it was the position of his feet or hips or his arm and hand when those errant passes came out, maybe they could improve on it but there is one case where all the ex QB's agree, the NFL QB can't miss the deep ball with an open receiver. And Dak has missed too many.

There is one possible problem with Dak that cannot be solved except by him, the fear of failure. Is he so preoccupied with the turnover that affects his throws? Even when a player has beaten deep coverage, his ball is well overthrown. Never know what a man is feeling inside but is his confidence somewhat self-manufactured? He never won the QB job from high school on so we can assume there were problems with his game.

And while I am not a Linehan fan and never have been, he sees Dak every day in practice and has seen every throw. Is there a confidence problem from Linehan to Dak? Is there a probability scale on every play in the playbook? And most of all, is there a real concern in the RZ that they might not even get a shot at a FG if they put too much on Dak?

The only thing I know is that I don't have a clue what Garrett, Linehan or these O position coaches really think about Dak as a NFL QB. Do they have to coach and call plays with his limitations in mind and play worst case scenario?

I am not suggesting anything but mainly just guessing out loud but I've seen Dak make some really poor throws that the majority of other QB's make look easy. The other thing that's been said about him is that he plays better than he practices. If that's true, what are these coaches seeing at practice that affects their thinking on game days? It's easy to put all the blame on the OC and the play calling but I do believe it's a lot more than that.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Daks issues are technical. When he does things the right way, he can actually throw a good ball. The bad news is, for every one he does right, he does 6 or 7 wrong and causes him to be inaccurate with the ball. I think his inability to know what the defense is doing hinders his ability to be technically sound. By the time he sees what is going on, he has to rush his throws and he gets all out of whack. If we could run a 1 read offense and be successful in the NFL, he would be outstanding.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I have a graduate degree in physics. No explanation is necessary. It is a basic/fundamental law of physics that began shortly after the big bang.
Not to argue with you, but watch this film. Go to the 3:38 mark and watch those two overhand fastball pitches, especially the 2nd pitch. That ball starts low but tails up after that overhand release.

Qcard

Reaction score
Anyone studied it close enough to account for hurried throws? Is there any consistency to his inconsistencies? If it was the position of his feet or hips or his arm and hand when those errant passes came out, maybe they could improve on it but there is one case where all the ex QB's agree, the NFL QB can't miss the deep ball with an open receiver. And Dak has missed too many.

There is one possible problem with Dak that cannot be solved except by him, the fear of failure. Is he so preoccupied with the turnover that affects his throws? Even when a player has beaten deep coverage, his ball is well overthrown. Never know what a man is feeling inside but is his confidence somewhat self-manufactured? He never won the QB job from high school on so we can assume there were problems with his game.

And while I am not a Linehan fan and never have been, he sees Dak every day in practice and has seen every throw. Is there a confidence problem from Linehan to Dak? Is there a probability scale on every play in the playbook? And most of all, is there a real concern in the RZ that they might not even get a shot at a FG if they put too much on Dak?

The only thing I know is that I don't have a clue what Garrett, Linehan or these O position coaches really think about Dak as a NFL QB. Do they have to coach and call plays with his limitations in mind and play worst case scenario?

I am not suggesting anything but mainly just guessing out loud but I've seen Dak make some really poor throws that the majority of other QB's make look easy. The other thing that's been said about him is that he plays better than he practices. If that's true, what are these coaches seeing at practice that affects their thinking on game days? It's easy to put all the blame on the OC and the play calling but I do believe it's a lot more than that.
Great Post!

So many questions.

The one factor that gives hope or a glimpse into Dak's psyche are his past experiences.

He's seemed to have never earned a starting QB via a camp or off-season battle BUT he never relinquishes a job a always shows heart of champion when it matters most..

His experience with Mother passing with Cancer is a factor.

He appears mentally tough. He made Garrett cuss on live TV lol

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Maybe the massive biceps are taking blood from his brain. Lol

Reading some of these comments you would think the Cowboys have 6 wins and are going to be sitting home for the playoffs. Despite Dak’s shortcomings he’s led the Cowboys to two division titles in his first three seasons. Romo led the Cowboys to three division titles in 10 years. The Cowboys clinched their division with a game left in the season after battling back from a 3-5 start and Dak continues to get bashed.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great Post!

So many questions.

The one factor that gives hope or a glimpse into Dak's psyche are his past experiences.

He's seemed to have never earned a starting QB via a camp or off-season battle BUT he never relinquishes a job a always shows heart of champion when it matters most..

His experience with Mother passing with Cancer is a factor.

He appears mentally tough. He made Garrett cuss on live TV lol
Dak is a scrapper, what he lacks with passer talent, he makes up for with heart. His teammates know he's not close to being a Tier 1 QB at this point but when the fight starts, they know he'll be there at the end.

What some don't seem to consider enough is what else is out there? Some post like there are Tier 1 QB's a plenty and every team can have one but that's not even close and of all the Tier 1 QB's, how many only have 1 ring, Brees and Rodgers. They're considered 2 of the top Tier 1's and only have 1 ring.

There seems to be this perception that get that Tier 1 guy, problem solved yet the real problem is that teams with Tier 1's failed to build around them, except for NE. Dak can deliver if they continue to build the team around him.

The dumbest thing I've seen in the NFL is this negative connotation to the term "game manager" for a QB.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reading some of these comments you would think the Cowboys have 6 wins and are going to be sitting home for the playoffs. Despite Dak’s shortcomings he’s led the Cowboys to two division titles in his first three seasons. Romo led the Cowboys to three division titles in 10 years. The Cowboys clinched their division with a game left in the season and Dak continues to get bashed.
Gonna happen. What do you think this forum would have looked like in the days of Danny White? Or how about the Morton-Staubach QB duel? Or Landry in the late 80's? Think many might have forgotten his contributions to the game and just focused in on "the game passed him by"?

At least we haven't gotten to the Romo stage yet with critics about the size of his butt, his ears and wearing his cap backwards. I have mentioned the bowties so that could open the floodgates.

The man was a 4th round pick, and that was pretty unanimous with every QB guru, and many expect him to be better and are not as happy with as good as he is. I don't know if Dak is as good as he's going to get or not but I certainly do remember that revolving QB door between Aikman and Romo and this is a hell of a lot better than that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Gonna happen. What do you think this forum would have looked like in the days of Danny White? Or how about the Morton-Staubach QB duel? Or Landry in the late 80's? Think many might have forgotten his contributions to the game and just focused in on "the game passed him by"?

At least we haven't gotten to the Romo stage yet with critics about the size of his butt, his ears and wearing his cap backwards. I have mentioned the bowties so that could open the floodgates.

The man was a 4th round pick, and that was pretty unanimous with every QB guru, and many expect him to be better and are not as happy with as good as he is. I don't know if Dak is as good as he's going to get or not but I certainly do remember that revolving QB door between Aikman and Romo and this is a hell of a lot better than that.

Most here just care about the numbers and passer ratings. It didn’t matter how many picks Romo threw or that we went 8-8 three straight years with him with no playoff appearances, fans just kept clamoring about how great his numbers were and that he was in the top three in all time passer rating. They would blame everyone but Romo for the Cowboys problems. Some are posting that if we had Romo this team would be unstoppable, when the reality is Romo would’ve never survived three games behind this OL without Witten and Dez.

You won’t find many QBs that played every snap after being sacked 50+ times and still led their team to a division title. Dak isn’t perfect and doesn’t have a perfect team around him but despite his flaws and the teams flaws we’re winning games with him. He’s a battler who doesn’t quit.

cern

Reaction score
Not to argue with you, but watch this film. Go to the 3:38 mark and watch those two overhand fastball pitches, especially the 2nd pitch. That ball starts low but tails up after that overhand release.

Not seeing what you're seeing at all. Both balls were thrown with an rising trajectory from the moment they were released from the hand. The laws of physics remain the same.