Dak's ceiling?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I brought that up back in March or April in a thread. When the 2nd in MVP voting and leading the NFL in TD's came up.
About the year before with all the INT's. So posted I will wait to see if he can follow up in 2024 on another year like that from 2023

However, still comes down to wins in the playoffs, no matter what type of regular season a QB had.
If Dak would actually show up in the playoffs.....I know the defense played awful but when your QB has that deer in the headlights look before he even takes the field, we have no chance. I used to be a big Dak fan but we've come as far as we can with him. It's time to move on. In the long run it will be better for both Dak and the Cowboys.

Creeper

Reaction score
Dak is good enough to win a Super Bowl in Dallas. But I have to laugh because people act like Dak is holding them back while ignoring all the other deficiencies on the roster.

The reaction to the Packers loss last season is as irrational as the criticism of Dak. Do we know what happened against GB? I know Dak threw a couple of bad INTs early, but did anyone notice the Packers offense scored a TD almost every time they got the football? Did anyone notice the Packers run all over the Cowboys defense? Did anyone notice the Cowboys couldn't run the football against GB? And what about all those GB receivers 10 yards open for big plays? Was the GB game a fluke? or was it GB exploiting all the other deficiencies on the Cowboys roster?

We were faked out in 2023. We believed the Cowboys did some things to improve the team over the previous year and bought into the hype. But in the end, the inability to stop the run, and the inability to run the football showed up in a big way in the playoffs and the Cowboys got skunked.

Every QB has bad games. Dak had a bad start. It would have been nice if he had a defense to hold GB out of the end zone a couple of times to give the Cowboys a chance to make a comeback, like SF did the following week. But Dallas is not SF. Their defense was a mirage. They never had the players. We want to ignore the DL couldn't stop anyone and our LBs, injured and never replaced, were awful.

Stop buying into the hype that the Cowboys players are all great. They had huge holes in the roster last year, despite all the pro-bowl players. Biadasz was in the pro-bowl and honestly he was as mediocre as it gets at C.

This team will never win a Super Bowl until they get a defense that is dependable and capable to stopping an offense when it matters. The same goes for running the football. No team is going far if they can't run the football.

Dak has peaked for sure, and for that reason he does not deserve $60 million per year. But anyone who thinks getting rid of Dak is going to return Dallas to the championship games is delusional.

leeblair

Reaction score
I think Dak should be ecstatic that he's been allowed to be the starting quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys and be thrilled with the money he has made, but I think he should hang it up.
He seems like a decent guy,and I don't enjoy pointing out his faults.
He just doesn't have that leadership quality that professional quarterbacks must have. The instincts to lead are not there, and it shows every time he is asked to be the reason the Cowboys win.
I wish him well, but he would be better suited at something else.

jujoboys

Reaction score
1 more year, Dak fans.

Then you can go talk about his ceiling somewhere else.

I watched Zeke win 2 rushing titles. So I should expect that every year?

I watched Tyron Smith be an All-Pro last year and now hear Dak fans say the O-Line is better with an unproven rookie playing LT instead of a first team All-Pro.

Dak fans need to be studied.
It is definitely looking like his last year with Dallas. I've said all along that "if" Dak gets signed it would be during training camp/just prior to the season starting. If he is not signed prior to the first game then I don't see him being in Dallas next year. I think Jerry wants to sign him but he has drawn a line in the sand on how much he is willing to pay Dak. Dak will never lower his demands to what Jerry is probably offering. Dak wants to maximize his compensation and he knows the best way to do that is to hit free agency next year. I just wish Jerry would have approached Dak prior to free agency and the draft about letting Dak seek a trade to another team. We may have been able to get some real draft compensation to go get our next QB instead of just receiving a 3rd round comp pick in 2026 when he leaves via free agency in 2025.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
After several years in the league, it's fair to wonder if we've already seen the best Dak has to offer. Some quarterbacks do reach a point where their development plateaus, and it's likely that Dak has hit that mark. The fact that this fanbase continues to debate and question his mental toughness in clutch moments says everything. It’s hard to see him as the guy who can lead the team to a Super Bowl win.

ZekeTrain

Reaction score
His issue is not talent, its mental. He needs a sports psychologist to help him with the post season panicking and choking.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I promise you.
Cooper Rush would have the same record with this offense and weak schedule. the NFC East alone has been worth 4-5 wins every season. All you need to do is actually watch him against a tough defense. He folds.
So yes, there's your ceiling, even Jerry's see it.

MojaveJT

Reaction score
We’ve already seen his ceiling. We’ve drafted and signed multiple FA’s at various positions to put pieces around this guy and it’s always the same result.

What’s the common denominator the past 8 years?

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
I'm on record saying Daks ceiling is Russel Wilson. Which means the GM(who picks the coach AND quite often the coaching staff) has to get better, the coaching has to get better, the running game has to get better, and the run defense has to get better.

He is not Patrick Mahomes...but MOST are not. I don't care if he stays or goes....but you all will be in for a rude awakening if you think swapping out Dak is the secret sauce.

So hopefully if they move on they have a "plan" for who the next QB will be...along with the next coach...along with how to build a consistent running game, along with how to stop the run against teams who want to run the football. Problem is the "plan" has to come from someone who has been afforded 4 times the amount of time Dak has had to prove they can get it done...and this person has not gotten it done.

Our season has stalled at the same place the last 3 years in a row. And each year we have downgraded the talent on this team. We were told we were creating cap space to sign our homegrown talent. But maybe if we had added a Bobby Wagner the following season could have gone further? Maybe had we not gotten rid of Amari Cooper our season would have gone further? Maybe had we not franchised Pollard and asked him to be something has not been in high school, college or pro our season could have gone further? Maybe had we not expected Gallup, who was injured in January, to be ready to go in by training camp our season could have gone further? I could keep going, but much like Romo kept this team from being 5-11 many seasons...I think we are going to find that Dak kept this team from being 8-8. Not saying Dak was good enough, but he is not hardly the biggest problem in Dallas!!

Chasing6

Reaction score
At 31 years of age, Dak has most likely reached his ceiling and, honestly, his ceiling is probably shrinking.

Sure, a lot of QB's play well into their mid-30's and longer. However, Dak is not a Brett Favre, Drew Brees or, even Vinny Testaverde. He will likely continue putting up good passing stats, but at an ever decreasing rate.

As others have noted, Dak needs a "perfect storm" interms of supporting cast - OL, WRs, RBs and defense to succeed.
Please tell me what QB carried their team to a SB.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
Matt Ryan’s best season was at 31

Ben Roethlisberger 32

Eli Manning 30

Philip Rivers 32

Kirk Cousins was 31

Matt Stafford was 33

Russell Wilson 31

This is right around the age to do so

Cincycowboy

Reaction score
This a good question......IF this is his ceiling, would you extend him?

No. he's going to be 32 next year and isn't getting younger. He really can't beat the top tier teams and he gets garbage stats against weaker opponents. I say let him play on this contract, he takes us to a super bowl, then we can make a big offer. If not, let him try to get it somewhere else. There isn't another team that will pay him more than rodgers or mahomes. If he won more playoff games, maybe .

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak is as good as he’s going to get. He just needs to be as good as we see in the regular season, in the playoffs. The entire team, including the defense needs to be as good in the playoffs as we see in the regular season.

Mikexike

Reaction score
Entire team underperformed. GM Jethro can't build a winning team and expects Dak to carry his incompetence.
Might as well root for a new team like the 49ers.... The gm of the cowboys ain't going nowhere.