Dak's contract extension in Jerry's words

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
What language are you referring to? The most recent says we go as Dak does. I see that as a vote of support that’s he’s his leader.
This........see the last sentence. He's drawing the line.......and if you think about it makes sense.
Dak has now played with Parsons, Diggs, and Lamb a few years on his big-money deal and STILL hasn't gotten it done ( expected playoff wins) Now Jerry needs to sign Lamb and Parsons to the first mega deals and guess who is also waiting/wanting for his second one. Never mind he hasn't elevated his game to the next level. Again, I think Jerry will gladly extend him $42-45M range but not anything over $50M, I'm not sure. JMO

We’ve got a lot of contract work to do. I’m unequivocal about all of the contracts. I can be unequivocal about all the contracts. But we’re going to have to adjust all contracts to get as many of the very players that you could ask me about singly under contract. The facts are that it’s obvious who your top players are. It’s obvious who the players we want back would be. That’s obvious. It very obvious here in my mind. And so anything I’ve said, like last year, I said we see a picture of him going forward for many years, that’s alive and well. Yes, we sure do, but we’ve got a lot of contracts to address.”

lk8701

Reaction score
The Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith for Mahomes. Trey Lance won't be Mahomes but Jordan Love level is possible.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
If dak is smart he signs a team friendly deal that allows a better team to be built. Let’s see what he’s thinking.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I hope I’m wrong but from what Jethro has said so far , everything points to an extension and probably more than we think it should be.

It was last time. Not sure why we wouldn't think it would be again. Despite playoff failures Dak is playing his best ball according to them.

And that’s what Jethro sees.That in his eyes we aren’t a playoff team without him. And we are close . Like I said , through his eyes not ours.
I agree with this 100%.......are you replacing him with an upgrade? Can you replace him with a mid-tier QB, use the extra money to bring more talent and get results or at least the same?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree with this 100%.......are you replacing him with an upgrade? Can you replace him with a mid-tier QB, use the extra money to bring more talent and get results or at least the same?
To me it’s not worthy of discussion until we don’t resign or extend him. As everything points to retaining him. We shall know in a couple months or sooner as March deadline looms.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This........see the last sentence. He's drawing the line.......and if you think about it makes sense.
Dak has now played with Parsons, Diggs, and Lamb a few years on his big-money deal and STILL hasn't gotten it done ( expected playoff wins) Now Jerry needs to sign Lamb and Parsons to the first mega deals and guess who is also waiting/wanting for his second one. Never mind he hasn't elevated his game to the next level. Again, I think Jerry will gladly extend him $42-45M range but not anything over $50M, I'm not sure. JMO

We’ve got a lot of contract work to do. I’m unequivocal about all of the contracts. I can be unequivocal about all the contracts. But we’re going to have to adjust all contracts to get as many of the very players that you could ask me about singly under contract. The facts are that it’s obvious who your top players are. It’s obvious who the players we want back would be. That’s obvious. It very obvious here in my mind. And so anything I’ve said, like last year, I said we see a picture of him going forward for many years, that’s alive and well. Yes, we sure do, but we’ve got a lot of contracts to address.”
Yea , 50 million is about where I think it will be. Put most in signing bonus and cap hits are minimal. Like with current contract which was first two years were under 20 mil cap hits and last year under 30.

Proof

Reaction score
Keep in mind Wales.......this isn't just extending or cap relief it is giving Dak a new contract. This is why suddenly Jerry's talking about other contracts. What Dak/Todd France thinks he's worth and Jerry/Stephen will be the straw that stirs this thing. For example.........just speculation on my part...

** Jerry and Stephen offer another 4 years but only $41-45M per year.
** Dak and Todd France refuse to consider anything less than $50M

BTW......Just the fact we are seeing where Jerry is concerned about "other contracts" tells me something we never thought was possible a few years ago..........they are considering the future w/o Dak.

Jerry's been dealing with the media for over 30 years.......he knows exactly what he is doing.
he made the same toothless "piece of the pie" comments previously. he does not know exactly what he's doing lol

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Chiefs got rid of Alex Smith for Mahomes. Trey Lance won't be Mahomes but Jordan Love level is possible.
I like this idea. General manager John Dorsey helped orchestrate drafting Patrick Mahomes before he got canned. His replacement, Brett Veach, traded Alex Smith to Washington the following offseason.

Both Dorsey and Veach are better GMs than Jerry Jones. A brain transplant is key. Kidnapping Dorsey, Veach and Jones would be necessary. Dorsey or Veach can serve as an alternate donor if there are complications with the first operation.

Jordan Love carried a clipboard for three years pretty much behind Aaron Rodgers. Similarly, onlookers might be self-prepared Trey Lance may not realistically be named the starting quarterback for another season or three.

SellTheTeam

Reaction score
Dak is on a one year prove it deal. Just like MM and DQ. Taking JJ’s “all in this year” comment together with this word salad, my best interpretation is as follows:

They have to get a lot of contracts under the cap to make a run. The FO will do everything they can to field a competitive team in 2024. If they fail to execute this year, they are going into a rebuild mode: new coaching staff, new QB, etc…

This is shaping up to be the swan song for MM and DQ. Everybody in the organization loves and believes in Dak— but not at any cost.

IMO— no extension this offseason for their boy spells a new direction at QB in 2025 if they come up empty again in the playoffs.

My prediction: 9-8 and we miss the playoffs this year. This is a lame duck coaching staff that is managing a fractured locker room and they will be facing a 1st place schedule.

As usual, JJ is late to the party with decisions. Running it back this year and maintaining the status quo was simply the wrong decision.
This is almost exactly the way I interpret his comments: MM, Coaching staff, Dak all on 1 year make good deal!!! No extension for the Dakster!

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dak is Kirk Cousins.

Jerry and sons know they will never win with Dak.

That’s why they made the Lance trade.

POST-6/1 RELEASE
2024 Dead Cap: $25,455,000
2025 Dead Cap: $36,460,000

2024 Cap Savings: $34,000,000

Mannix

Reaction score
Look at the roll out and throw starting at 2:36.....I laughed until it hurt. Skip is dead nutz correct at 8:48....all of the Cowboy haters around the country think Dak and MM are the bees knees, because they want us trapped with them both. BTW....those of you who hate Skip, have never listened at length to Richard Sherman.

Last edited:

Mannix

Reaction score
Lol defense held the 49ers to 23 and 19 points in the playoffs, and Dak turned the ball over in both those games, that was their fault we lost those games? I know you'll aliviate any blame on Dak
And Dork @ KC.....12 possessions, 9 points!!! Every big game or big stage, you can count on failure from him.

Jipper

Reaction score
He doesn’t choke in big moments but the defense sure does.
41-16 says otherwise
As does
42-10
As does
19-12
As does
23-17

4 big moment games (I am not giving him credit for garbage time against GB)

He chokes, a winning qb leads the team to more than those point totals...at worst should have been 2-2 in those games with the defense performances

jwitten82

Reaction score
41-16 says otherwise
As does
42-10
As does
19-12
As does
23-17

4 big moment games (I am not giving him credit for garbage time against GB)

He chokes, a winning qb leads the team to more than those point totals...at worst should have been 2-2 in those games with the defense performances
None of the Dak defenders ever address the last two playoff losses against the 49ers. They constantly bring up the defense is the issue like they give up 40 points in every playoff game

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
I still think its in the realm of possibilities that the current contract is restructured, which requires no signoff from Dak, as there are already two void years in the current contract.

It does push dead money into those two years, however, as he would only be on the team in '24, then a free agent (unless he does so well the team wants to then negotiate a new contract).

Another way for a prove-it year other than doing nothing, and it lowers the '24 cap.

Jipper

Reaction score
None of the Dak defenders ever address the last two playoff losses against the 49ers. They constantly bring up the defense is the issue like they give up 40 points in every playoff game
Agreed - and to the point I was making, the defense kept them in 2 of those games and they should have won.

Flamma

Reaction score
I believe there is a loophole in his current deal where they can reduce 59 mil down to 40 mil without any new renegotiation (as I understand it)

I am not a capologist by any stretch lol
Yeah, that's just turning base pay into signing bonus. The 20m doesn't vanish.