Dak's contract extension in Jerry's words

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Just stop........$65 would put him $10M more than the highest-paid QB (Burrow) and you are saying it would be his floor. It defies logic and makes zero sense. Hell, even if he had won Super Bowl and Super Bowl MVP he would be extremely lucky to $60M ( $56-58M more likely).
It’s going to be at least 50 million .

It doesn’t really matter as most will be paid in a huge signing bonus and bulk at end of contract. Which results in minimal Cap hits just like his present contract.

The big number is just a sticker shock.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
It’s definitely going to be near the top of the league. As usual market price .
Yea, but it won't be THAT much.......Burrow is highest at $55M. No way in hell Dak's floor will be 65M, 10M more than the highest. It doesn't that way, just doesn't.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Was does a choking deer in the headlights QB go for at market price?
Or better yet what are 2 playoff wins in 8 seasons at market price?
Please take that Market Price song and dance and sell crazy elsewhere bud.
We’ll see who has a better instinct and insight of what Jethro will do.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do fans even know what his cap hits have been on this 40 mil per season deal? Most prob don’t.

starfan1

Reaction score
He doesn’t choke in big moments but the defense sure does.
i think too much blame is levied on him by this fanbase most notibly in here. its never been just him regardless what they want to spew. But we have possibly the worst fanbase in the league. as long as philly is exisent we wont be the worst but were close.

that said Dak has a choking gene in big moments against good teams. He doesnt have the ability to overcome shortcomings in the team and he gets that look in his eye and i know were screwed. again its not just him but he certainly contributes and no amount of statistical category changes that.

I dont have problem 1 if he gets extended though. Nor do I care if he doesnt. my$$ is on the extension and Ill enjoy the massive dramatic meltdown by some here.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I agree this could be HIS floor but it wouldn't surprise me if it's Jerry's ceiling.
Who knows with Jethro. He holds more value with Dak than any of us do.

I’m afraid Jethro will want to show a vote of confidence.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jethro at least publicly thinks the Cowboys go as Dak goes . And however ridiculous many of us believe that to be this is how he will base his decisions on.

That’s the dysfunction we must all come to deal with. My thoughts are based on what I think Jethro will do not what I think we should do.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Who knows with Jethro. He holds more value with Dak than any of us do.

I’m afraid Jethro will want to show a vote of confidence.
IDK.......the language Jerry is now using regarding Dak is different this time. Like I said in another thread, I think still want to sign him to an extension BUT now under his terms. No more blank checks........this is why we were hearing "other contracts " to worry about.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Im hopeful it might only be like a 2 year extension instead of 4 or 5 year mega deal.

But we need to make enough Cap space with Lamb and Parsons contracts coming up as well. So it’s probably a longer deal.

Lamb has to be done this year. Parsons can actually wait until next year.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
IDK.......the language Jerry is now using regarding Dak is different this time. Like I said in another thread, I think still want to sign him to an extension BUT now under his terms. No more blank checks........this is why we were hearing "other contracts " to worry about.
What language are you referring to? The most recent says we go as Dak does. I see that as a vote of support that’s he’s his leader.

Momanpr100

Reaction score
Dak isn't getting a extension. I said it in the beginning of the year unless we win big and I'm saying it again now. It's a lame duck year for everybody. Get ready for that 1st round Running Back pick. Don't @ me, I don't know any college players.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I hope I’m wrong but from what Jethro has said so far , everything points to an extension and probably more than we think it should be.

It was last time. Not sure why we wouldn't think it would be again. Despite playoff failures Dak is playing his best ball according to them.

And that’s what Jethro sees.That in his eyes we aren’t a playoff team without him. And we are close . Like I said , through his eyes not ours.

MajesticRey

Reaction score
Can’t we just trade Dak to a QB-needy team that has enough of a decent roster for him to agree on, in exchange for serviceable draft picks and dumping his contract off our books?

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
The more I listen to this and think about I’m convinced that Jerry’s “all in” means a financial commitment to be all in on lamb, parsons and Prescott. That they will do whatever it takes to keep all 3 and be “all in”. it has nothing to do with free agency but the contract commitments to the 3 players.

He says “nothing from dak has changed me from being unequivocal about him” in regards to Clarence’s question about Dak’s long term with the team. The organizations “all in” and our “all in” aren’t even in the same strosphere. We may want it to mean he’s gonna go after Chris jones or some big name guy but it doesn’t Imo at all. It just means they’ll commit to the main guys mentioned and make every move based on upon keeping them and then add some players to fill holes but it won’t be game changers.

But it definitely does not mean the end of dak here at all.

Romo_To_Dez

Reaction score
Nothing during Jerry Jones' tenure suggests Trey Lance was traded for to immediately replace Dak Prescott. The move does suggest Lance will be a possible small investment successor when he moves on from Prescott down the road.

Jones saves draft capital by NOT investing in a first round quarterback selection at that time having Lance already on the roster. He will rationalize not drafting a younger first rounder by counter-arguing Lance WAS both a first round draft pick, who also actually started in the league before the trade.

Time itself will ultimately reveal if Jones intentions will remain typical to what he has always done post-Aikman. Decades of stubbornness supports that conclusion. Or he will do something atypical, which will vindicate your assumption.

Jerry Jones also knows there are a segment of the Cowboys fans who right now just are looking for any QB to replace Dak. And those thinking that Trey Lance could be the answer solely off of him being drafted in the first round. So therefore Jerry will be placing the expectations on Lance to become a first round draft pick who is producing on the levels of a Mahomes, Burrow, Allen, Stroud etc....Therefore as he said he may not feel the need to draft a first round QB.

But have the mentality that Lance as a first round draft pick should be good enough on his own to carry the Cowboys to a Super Bowl win, without the front office having to do much free agency or roster building wise to help improve his odds.