Video: Dak's deep ball accuracy compared to elite QB's

408Cowboy

Reaction score
This is his second camp, actually, but, yeah. We'd invested--with good reason--in making the offense Romo-friendly. Late in his career, with his back issues and his ability to take advantage of Dez' body positioning and ability to high-point the ball, and with Wit and Beasley able to move the chains, we had a different set of skills. When he went down in 2016, they moved on from Hubbard, brought in Lal, and started moving to more of a deep ball offense with guys like Tavon, Gallup, and eventually Cooper. This year they continued that by bringing in Cobb as a big-play replacement to Bease, on top of the multiple speedy VFA/UDFAs they brought in.

Pretty obviously it was planned and intentional. Just as it's pretty obvious that they're working on it from a coaching perspective with both Dak and the WRs to make this a part of the game.

The idea that that all happened over the last two seasons without buy in from the OC and the HC is just too stupid to take seriously, honestly.
They all got here in 2018. The indication is that 2016-17 was still the same plan as the Romo years. If you look at the two posts of yours I previously quoted it seems you asked a question then basically turned around and answered it.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They all got here in 2018. The indication is that 2016-17 was still the same plan as the Romo years. If you look at the two posts of yours I previously quoted it seems you asked a question then basically turned around and answered it.

Well, yeah. They couldn't really start changing over in 2016 since they went into the season with Romo as the expected starter. Dak was a 4th stringer when they put that personnel and staff together. The point, though, is that the staff hasn't been discouraging the downfield passing game. They've been adding personnel and trying to develop it with the last two teams they put together for Dak. It just takes a bit of time to do that.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I came across this video and wanted to share. Its a 13 minute video but the first 7:30 of it tell the point the guy is trying to make. Not sure if he got his info from PFF or not. He compares Dak's deep ball percentage to a handful of others to debunk the myth that Dak is not accurate with the deep ball. I was a little surprised by what he found although I'm sure some will poke holes in his findings......The results of what he found. This is completion percentage on deep passes.

Dak..37/82=45%

WIlson...54/104=51%

Goff...64/124=49%

Brady...48/105=45%

Wentz...25/61=40%

Mahomes...60/128=46%

Rodgers...53/129=43%

I just remember that beautiful pass in the Pro Bowl that Cooper dropped. Dak is what he is...a winning QB.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
yeahif-we-could-r437ce.jpg

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Well, yeah. They couldn't really start changing over in 2016 since they went into the season with Romo as the expected starter. Dak was a 4th stringer when they put that personnel and staff together. The point, though, is that the staff hasn't been discouraging the downfield passing game. They've been adding personnel and trying to develop it with the last two teams they put together for Dak. It just takes a bit of time to do that.
Then wouldn't it be fair to say play calling discouraged it since the personnel wasn't in place? And if that's the case then the staff did discourage it in a way.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Then wouldn't it be fair to say play calling discouraged it since the personnel wasn't in place? And if that's the case then the staff did discourage it in a way.

In a way, sure. Here’s the quote I responded to though: “We want more of the deep ball throws. That has never been Daks problem. Garrett or Linehan not letting him cut it loose has been the problem. Not Dak.”

My argument was that the offensive staff has actually been moving in this direction for two years now. It hasn’t been that they haven’t let him as much as there have been reasons why it’s happened the way it’s happened.

817Gill

Reaction score
Why can’t somebody just think Dak average without all these other bs reasons behind it? Y’all out here using children logic of you don’t like Dak it’s gotta be something besides he’s average when y’all have no proof of such. Y’all grown men acting like starry eyed groupies. Save that for the kids and women not men just speaking about football. If Dak player like his rookie year mostly I wouldn’t complain just like that season it wasn’t much to say.
Maybe the most off topic post on this thread. Certainly close.

You got anything substantive to say about Dak’s ability to throw deep? Cause OP showed us the FACTS about Dak’s deep passing percentage, not really refutable. Most of this thread has been crapping on the Dak-haters because none of y’all have made a serious attempt at logically explaining that Dak can’t throw deep (mostly because we’ve proven he can with quotes from the team and math). So keep babbling on about whatever that was, no ones gonna take a post void of fact seriously

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Maybe the most off topic post on this thread. Certainly close.

You got anything substantive to say about Dak’s ability to throw deep? Cause OP showed us the FACTS about Dak’s deep passing percentage, not really refutable. Most of this thread has been crapping on the Dak-haters because none of y’all have made a serious attempt at logically explaining that Dak can’t throw deep (mostly because we’ve proven he can with quotes from the team and math). So keep babbling on about whatever that was, no ones gonna take a post void of fact seriously
Your post I quoted makes no sense. You did the online well if you don’t like Dak you must be ____________ and have a invalid reason outside of thinking he’s average. Why can’t a person just not like the player without all of the extra stuff? I think he’s average y’all think he’s a football diety. We don’t agree it’s that simple and doesn’t have to be some other non football reason for it.

I know you older people have just got wind of the word hater and want to overuse it but I don’t hate Dak. I just think he’s average and if that’s the going rate for hate in 2019 so be it. You took the post serious enough to respond so that’s all that matters good sir. Again I don’t hate Dak just think when people online do the if you don’t agree with me your blah blah blah it’s weak no matter what side of the debate your on. If you disagree that’s ok too we will both be alright.

817Gill

Reaction score
Your post I quoted makes no sense. You did the online well if you don’t like Dak you must be ____________ and have a invalid reason outside of thinking he’s average. Why can’t a person just not like the player without all of the extra stuff? I think he’s average y’all think he’s a football diety. We don’t agree it’s that simple and doesn’t have to be some other non football reason for it.

I know you older people have just got wind of the word hater and want to overuse it but I don’t hate Dak. I just think he’s average and if that’s the going rate for hate in 2019 so be it. You took the post serious enough to respond so that’s all that matters good sir. Again I don’t hate Dak just think when people online do the if you don’t agree with me your blah blah blah it’s weak no matter what side of the debate your on. If you disagree that’s ok too we will both be alright.
Post a something about Dak’s deep ball bro no one cares about your diatribe on the word hater. Contribute to the point of the thread don’t dilute it with your arbitrary complaints.

Btw I’m 23 lol I count as older people?

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Those two or so difference making missed deep balls to wide open receivers in the playoff game were discouraging.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Post a something about Dak’s deep ball bro no one cares about your diatribe on the word hater. Contribute to the point of the thread don’t dilute it with your arbitrary complaints.

Btw I’m 23 lol I count as older people?
Dak deep ball is average just like the rest of his game. I understand he is some of yalls bestie but he’s average and if he wasn’t his threads wouldn’t be so poloarizing. If you didn’t care you wouldn’t have responded ________. I did contribute you didn’t like what I contributed. Yep you count as older people in soul if not age. Don’t know 23 yr olds sooo out of touch using words

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Those two or so difference making missed deep balls to wide open receivers in the playoff game were discouraging.
Some only seem to count the makes and not the obvious misses. Hopefully he’s better but I’ll believe it when I see it.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
The deep ball accuracy thing is ridiculous. Mostly comes from two sets of fans, Romo lovers and people who don’t watch other games. His accuracy is pretty much on par with most NFL qb’s.