Dak's extension will come sooner or later

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It would have helped the Cap situation to have a deal done by March 13th if we were going to be very active in Free Agency. If needed we’ll release or restructure other veterans like Smith and Gallup.

But Dak holds all the leverage this time with no trade and no franchise tag clause . He also is still under contract due to receive 59.5 million on final season of current deal.

And with Cap increased this year above a quarter billion new Market Price to be established for Franchise QB’s. It’s expected to be 55+ million .

Regardless whatever fans believe or think about Dak is meaningless . It’s all about Jethro . And I certainly don’t see any situation where he walks away from Dak. I expect a deal done by Training Camp or Preseason. Buckle up. Dak ain’t going anywhere.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The no franchise tag really means nothing until 2025.
So do we truly know what the real contract for this year is. I keep seeing adding 2 void years at the teams discretion. If that is really true, then what would be his cap hit this season?

Could they possibly do that, and get cap relief, therefore giving them time to negotiate a real extension? And wait until July or August?

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I don't get why we needed another Dak extension thread unless you felt you weren't getting enough attention in the other ones...

Anyways, before the cap increase Dak had a lot more leverage. He still has some leverage with the NTC but the cap increase took them from 19mil over the cap to 9mil. That is a much more palatable number for the team to work with. A couple restructures and boom, they are back in business without touching Dak's contract. They can eat his cap hit and make this a prove it year. If they want to force a trade situation they can announce an open competition at QB for TC/PS. Dak will crack under the pressure and pack up his LV handbags and demand a trade.

The idea that Dak holds every card is nowhere near true. Jones has options.

Jipper

Reaction score
He doesn't hold all the leverage, he holds the short term leverage - dallas can pay him this year and use the voidable years to get his hit into the 40s and then either resign or let him walk.

That's why dallas isn't in a rush, the cap going up as much as it is means they can deal with his number this year and be free to go in a different direction by 2025.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The no franchise tag really means nothing until 2025.
So do we truly know what the real contract for this year is. I keep seeing adding 2 void years at the teams discretion. If that is really true, then what would be his cap hit this season?

Could they possibly do that, and get cap relief, therefore giving them time to negotiate a real extension? And wait until July or August?
Yea, the more I read about it the more this negotiation could drag out longer than most realized . Possibly up until Camp and preseason.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
He doesn't hold all the leverage, he holds the short term leverage - dallas can pay him this year and use the voidable years to get his hit into the 40s and then either resign or let him walk.

That's why dallas isn't in a rush, the cap going up as much as it is means they can deal with his number this year and be free to go in a different direction by 2025.
Right… the short term leverage. And while most felt March 13 was the key date , it really isn’t .

As reported in January, the club can slash Prescott’s cap hit by more than $18 million converting much in a signing bonus. No negotiation between the team and Prescott’s agent is required to perform the maneuver; the required language is baked into the contract he signed in 2021.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It confuses me how many can be so wrong about this. All the talking heads say Dak has all the leverage. That's all I've heard for months. Well, he really doesn't.

That said I still expect the Cowboys to fold like a cheap suit.
Depends on how we define leverage . I think those who have said this are referring to the no trade no franchise tag clause .

And the fact he’s under contract this season for 59.5 million. To many fans that is leverage. He doesn’t have to do anything but wait.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Good chance I'm just missing the obvious answer here, but whats the point of extending Dak in August? By that point the bulk of the advantage to the Cowboys is gone and Dak starts to lose some of that leverage. IMO that would be a total miss by Dak and his agent. Either sign now to a team friendly deal that helps the Cowboys build a stronger team around him or wait it out and hit free agency to maximize the deal he would get. If this drags out into the season if I'm Jerry I'm willing to wait and see what the results look like. If I'm Dak I would certainly be OK waiting it out and hoping to get a bidding war in March of 2025.

jgboys1

Reaction score
It confuses me how many can be so wrong about this. All the talking heads say Dak has all the leverage. That's all I've heard for months. Well, he really doesn't.

I wish the Cowboys would go full Russell Wilson on Dak just like Denver did.

They have a $85 million cap hit because of this move. Dak's cut would look like peanuts compared to Wilson's.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
This thread makes absolutely zero sense. Do you understand how dumb it is to extend Dak after free agency is basically over ? Did you put any thought into this at all?
hey hey hey hey they only talk to me this way, save the bashing for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: JBS

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
I have to think if Stephen/Jerry are willing and able to make it thru the FA period without extending Dak, then the bridge is burned. Both parties likely have an understanding at that point to go separate ways after the 2024 season regardless of how it plays out.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I wish the Cowboys would go full Russell Wilson on Dak just like Denver did.

They have a $85 million cap hit because of this move. Dak's cut would look like peanuts compared to Wilson's.
If the Cowboys has had the last two seasons like Denver the Cowboys might have taken a similar approach.

Do you think Denver releases Wilson if they had back to back 12 win playoff seasons ?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

The person that has the leverage is the person that signs the checks.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
The team would have to fold without Dak. Sign him now to 100 million per year for life. We have no other choice.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't get why we needed another Dak extension thread unless you felt you weren't getting enough attention in the other ones...
looks like he got your attention...
In all seriousness, I really don't care if Dak is back or not. Only thing that bothers me is the timeline. Sign him or move on, just do it quick so we have a chance at other players.
I would love for Dak to sign a team friendly deal, doubt it happens and I can't blame him.
Either way, we need Lance to get as many reps possible in camp, and not just with backups or scout teams.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Anyone listening to what Stephen has had to say lately might be prone to be convinced that Dak will be extended for the next three years into a contractual obligation that would be likely to put this team in a bind for other players to have satisfactory contracts that they probably deserve. I'm hoping that Jerry has the wherewithal to caution Stephen about an obligation that would serve as a steppingstone for this team's surefire disaster.

Last edited:

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
looks like he got your attention...
In all seriousness, I really don't care if Dak is back or not. Only thing that bothers me is the timeline. Sign him or move on, just do it quick so we have a chance at other players.
I would love for Dak to sign a team friendly deal, doubt it happens and I can't blame him.
Either way, we need Lance to get as many reps possible in camp, and not just with backups or scout teams.
Bingo. Both sides need to make a decision on things now. Waiting 6 months to reach an agreement is the worst case scenario. Extend the guy now to actually have a chance to add talent to this roster or start coming up with a plan B. I just dont see a middle ground that isn't punting on 2024 while still creating cap problems for the future.