Dak's extension will come sooner or later

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Being for real, he has options, even has options that don't include starting Rush or Lance.
This is their I Love Dak thread and that's Kool.
Free Country and all that Jazz............
P.S. Every Day an extension isn't announced they will start getting delirious here in the CZ.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Being for real, he has options, even has options that don't include starting Rush or Lance.
Well he better hurry up and sign Russell Wilson and take advantage of his offer to play for league minimum, because that is all he can afford.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Well he better hurry up and sign Russell Wilson and take advantage of his offer to play for league minimum, because that is all he can afford.
They can eat the cap and leave Dak on a prove it year. I'd be happy with that.

conner01

Reaction score
The no franchise tag really means nothing until 2025.
So do we truly know what the real contract for this year is. I keep seeing adding 2 void years at the teams discretion. If that is really true, then what would be his cap hit this season?

Could they possibly do that, and get cap relief, therefore giving them time to negotiate a real extension? And wait until July or August?

The no franchise tag really means nothing until 2025.
So do we truly know what the real contract for this year is. I keep seeing adding 2 void years at the teams discretion. If that is really true, then what would be his cap hit this season?

Could they possibly do that, and get cap relief, therefore giving them time to negotiate a real extension? And wait until July or August?
Exactly. We will restructure now and keep working on an extension unless they pretty much have a deal already. I don’t think they do or it would have leaked. But y pi u can’t restructure twice in a year but I don’t any reason you can restructure and extend in the same year

Chasing6

Reaction score
They can eat the cap and leave Dak on a prove it year. I'd be happy with that.
So if you think Dak has some leverage now. What do you think happens next year? Dallas keeps Dak, Rush and Trance.

Let's say Dak plays well and is a free agent. Now you will be paying him $65M a year.

Or Trance takes over or you draft a rookie QB at pick 20 to 28.

Sounds like a typically GM Jeruh plan.

OGSixshooter

Reaction score
It would have helped the Cap situation to have a deal done by March 13th if we were going to be very active in Free Agency. If needed we’ll release or restructure other veterans like Smith and Gallup.

But Dak holds all the leverage this time with no trade and no franchise tag clause . He also is still under contract due to receive 59.5 million on final season of current deal.

And with Cap increased this year above a quarter billion new Market Price to be established for Franchise QB’s. It’s expected to be 55+ million .

Regardless whatever fans believe or think about Dak is meaningless . It’s all about Jethro . And I certainly don’t see any situation where he walks away from Dak. I expect a deal done by Training Camp or Preseason. Buckle up. Dak ain’t going anywhere.
He only holds "all the leverage" if the Cowboys believe he is one of their better options. This is something people repeat ASSUMING he is the best option. See Brock Purdy, Tom Brady, Jalen Hurts, etc....

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So if you think Dak has some leverage now. What do you think happens next year? Dallas keeps Dak, Rush and Trance.

Let's say Dak plays well and is a free agent. Now you will be paying him $65M a year.

Or Trance takes over or you draft a rookie QB at pick 20 to 28.

Sounds like a typically GM Jeruh plan.
If they extend him this year they're likely in the 60 range without having proven anything other than he chokes in the playoffs. This option gives him 1 more year to prove himself. If he blows it again, move on and draft a QB who doesn't hit the panic button in the big games, if he lights it up in the playoffs and gets us to at least the NFCCG then extend him.

Steve007

Reaction score
It would have helped the Cap situation to have a deal done by March 13th if we were going to be very active in Free Agency. If needed we’ll release or restructure other veterans like Smith and Gallup.

But Dak holds all the leverage this time with no trade and no franchise tag clause . He also is still under contract due to receive 59.5 million on final season of current deal.

And with Cap increased this year above a quarter billion new Market Price to be established for Franchise QB’s. It’s expected to be 55+ million .

Regardless whatever fans believe or think about Dak is meaningless . It’s all about Jethro . And I certainly don’t see any situation where he walks away from Dak. I expect a deal done by Training Camp or Preseason. Buckle up. Dak ain’t going anywhere.
I think Dak gets an extension and that will seal the Cowboys fate for years. They could bite the bullet or spread the contract over the two voidable years, but they will extend him. It doesn't matter as far as free agents because Stephen Jones goes after tier 2 free agents.

Chasing6

Reaction score
If they extend him this year they're likely in the 60 range without having proven anything other than he chokes in the playoffs. This option gives him 1 more year to prove himself. If he blows it again, move on and draft a QB who doesn't hit the panic button in the big games, if he lights it up in the playoffs and gets us to at least the NFCCG then extend him.
And when you draft a QB, how will you know if he hits the panic button? Do they figure that out during the combine some how?

Is that a question during the interview process?

I wonder how many QB's answer that question by saying they hit the panic button.

nate dizzle

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
And when you draft a QB, how will you know if he hits the panic button? Do they figure that out during the combine some how?

Is that a question during the interview process?

I wonder how many QB's answer that question by saying they hit the panic button.
Can't answer it without time. Dak has had plenty. We know what his answer would be. Time to look elsewhere if he can't get it done this year.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The person that has the leverage is the person that signs the checks.
An owner who is worth close to 15-20 BILLION has no leverage because of Done nothing Choker QB named Dak and a Car salesman called Todd France.
Ya makes sense...............did you hear the one about the Fat lady?
I know I know Jersey sales............... :muttley: :muttley:

Chasing6

Reaction score
Agree with you there.
That is why I keep saying go all in or rebuild. Or keeping doing what we are doing and win the Division every other year and get bounced from the playoffs early.

In 2 years we will be wondering how the Redksins became better than us.

Extend Dak and go all in. Make sure the new contract is trade-able. If it does not work out over the next year or 2 trade him for picks to help rebuild and/or find your new QB.

For the Dak haters. We are stuck with him this year anyway. If you spread out his contract over 2 additional years your still stuck with him and will not even be on the roster paying for dead money.

Sign a 5 year contract that is designed for 2 and a trade. This gives GM Jeruh some time to develop a potential replacement and gives Dallas extra draft capital when he leaves.

Seems pretty simple to me.