Dak's extension will come sooner or later

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Bingo. Both sides need to make a decision on things now. Waiting 6 months to reach an agreement is the worst case scenario. Extend the guy now to actually have a chance to add talent to this roster or start coming up with a plan B. I just dont see a middle ground that isn't punting on 2024 while still creating cap problems for the future.
Yea it would appear so.

And why it’s unlikely unfortunately we’ll be very active in Free Agency.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't get why we needed another Dak extension thread unless you felt you weren't getting enough attention in the other ones...

Anyways, before the cap increase Dak had a lot more leverage. He still has some leverage with the NTC but the cap increase took them from 19mil over the cap to 9mil. That is a much more palatable number for the team to work with. A couple restructures and boom, they are back in business without touching Dak's contract. They can eat his cap hit and make this a prove it year. If they want to force a trade situation they can announce an open competition at QB for TC/PS. Dak will crack under the pressure and pack up his LV handbags and demand a trade.

The idea that Dak holds every card is nowhere near true. Jones has options.
Hahahha

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It confuses me how many can be so wrong about this. All the talking heads say Dak has all the leverage. That's all I've heard for months. Well, he really doesn't.

That said I still expect the Cowboys to fold like a cheap suit.
How doesn’t he have the leverage? Jerry needs Dak more than Dak needs him. The only way I’d say Dak doesn’t hold the leverage is if Cowboys had a viable plan and were rebuilding. But Jerry seems to think we are in “win now” mode and you can’t be 9 million over the cap and think you are in win now mode with a 59 million dollar cap hit on Dak.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I don't get why we needed another Dak extension thread unless you felt you weren't getting enough attention in the other ones...

Anyways, before the cap increase Dak had a lot more leverage. He still has some leverage with the NTC but the cap increase took them from 19mil over the cap to 9mil. That is a much more palatable number for the team to work with. A couple restructures and boom, they are back in business without touching Dak's contract. They can eat his cap hit and make this a prove it year. If they want to force a trade situation they can announce an open competition at QB for TC/PS. Dak will crack under the pressure and pack up his LV handbags and demand a trade.

The idea that Dak holds every card is nowhere near true. Jones has options.
Jerry has no options let’s be for real. Jerry ain’t stupid he does not want to have to start Lance or Rush this year.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How doesn’t he have the leverage? Jerry needs Dak more than Dak needs him. The only way I’d say Dak doesn’t hold the leverage is if Cowboys had a viable plan and were rebuilding. But Jerry seems to think we are in “win now” mode and you can’t be 9 million over the cap and think you are in win now mode with a 59 million dollar cap hit on Dak.
For some reason, Dak haters think Trance is the solution. He is not even close to a solution.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This thread makes absolutely zero sense. Do you understand how dumb it is to extend Dak after free agency is basically over ? Did you put any thought into this at all?
He's a closet case Major Dak lover who tries to play the middle but deep in his heart big time Dak loving is going on 24/7!!!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
For some reason, Dak haters think Trance is the solution. He is not even close to a solution.
I'm with you, I wouldn't bring anybody in, because I'm scared one of them might show up the choker and take his job.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
For right now I would agree with that, but at what point does that leverage change? How far past the start of the league year does Jerry even care if a deal gets done or not? IMO we are getting very close to the possibility that Jerry and Dak are both OK just letting things play out.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I'm with you, I wouldn't bring anybody in, because I'm scared one of them might show up the choker and take his job.
I wouldn't bring just anybody in either. I would bring in a legit QB, not an athlete with zero experience.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I have to think if Stephen/Jerry are willing and able to make it thru the FA period without extending Dak, then the bridge is burned. Both parties likely have an understanding at that point to go separate ways after the 2024 season regardless of how it plays out.
This is my line of thinking as well. The only leverage Dak has is whether or not his cap hit will allow the team to sign free agents. Once the FA period has passed, it's only a matter of whether they want to keep him on board or not.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you know this? You do not know this is the answer.

Heck you can't get his name right, how can you be taken seriously.

You hate TREY LANCE more than the Dak haters hate Dak.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Extending Dak during training camp makes no sense for the Joneses or Dak. If it doesn’t get done during the free agent period, you might as well let Dak become a free agent.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How do you know this? You do not know this is the answer.

Heck you can't get his name right, how can you be taken seriously.

You hate TREY LANCE more than the Dak haters hate Dak.
How do you not know this?

The Niners figured it out fairly quickly. After trading the world for him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How do you not know this?

The Niners figured it out fairly quickly. After trading the world for him.
How do I know this, I don't.
But I never said he was the answer either.

All I ever said, I am looking forward to TC to see him play in the PS games.

SF may or may not have figured anything out. As all teams do and can make mistakes. It was a convenient trade to avoid backlash, of Purdy vs. Lance, IMO of course.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
For right now I would agree with that, but at what point does that leverage change? How far past the start of the league year does Jerry even care if a deal gets done or not? IMO we are getting very close to the possibility that Jerry and Dak are both OK just letting things play out.
I’d say after free agency it changes. If Dak is in your plans for one you need to sign him before the next guy gets signed. The longer you wait the higher the price. Now based on what we saw last time they clearly don’t care about paying more than they have to for Dak.

But if they want to build a better team than last year? They have to get that deal done sooner rather than later.

Chasing6

Reaction score
This is my line of thinking as well. The only leverage Dak has is whether or not his cap hit will allow the team to sign free agents. Once the FA period has passed, it's only a matter of whether they want to keep him on board or not.
We have 8 starters as free agents. Even if we could sign all of them it would not make us a better team.

We are not going to find 8 starters in the draft and we don't have 8 starters sitting in our bench.

So Dak holds all the cards. GM Jeruh can pretend he wants to start a rebuild, when we know he does not. Never mind trying to take a step forward with improving this roster.

I know, I know, at the end of the season, it will be Dak's fault because he could not overcome GM Jerruh's incompetence.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
I wouldn't bring just anybody in either. I would bring in a legit QB, not an athlete with zero experience.
I agree, we shouldn't bring anybody in. I'd give him more money too. I remember the last time he said, "I'm ready to play now". I think he meant he was ready to play at 50 percent. When he gets more he will give 70. I like that.

Chasing6

Reaction score
How do I know this, I don't.
But I never said he was the answer either.

All I ever said, I am looking forward to TC to see him play in the PS games.

SF may or may not have figured anything out. As all teams do and can make mistakes. It was a convenient trade to avoid backlash, of Purdy vs. Lance, IMO of course.
Time will tell. However, I know you don't become a better QB by sitting for 5 years. Especially when you only played 1 year at a lower level college.