Dak's leash next year - How long?

starcity214

Reaction score
Drafting a new qb wont solve anything. It will be the same exact thing. Romo had 3 8 and 8 years in a row under Garrett. 4 other qbs couldn't win a single game as a starter under Garrett... and now Dak has regressed to such an extent that we've fielded one of the worst offenses in modern cowboys history. Maybe we should look at the constant here.

Cassell sucks. Weeden sucks. Prescott sucks.
Those three made a system in wich Romo flourished (top 10) look like crap.

Hoyer sucks. Beathard sucks.
Kyle shanahan's system sucks.
Garoppolo comes in and thrives in that system..

Is it the system or the players?

The Dark Bishop

Reaction score
Gonna be honest here. I am late to the party. I still have pages 2-4 to read. So far I have seen our patrons take the question 2 fold. Rather saying how many games he can still call his ROP scheme, or how long he will be our starting QB. I will say before the game film was out for those to study him, he did his stuff.. I doubt that has changed though we are now seeing his weaknesses, much like his opponents.

Next year expect a lot of Zeke catching the ball in the ROP scheme. I think if Zeke comes in, in shape, we will see more of LAC's Gordon style out of Zeke. A power back that can still hurt you catching the ball as well. The real difference will be rather our play calling or scheme. If things have yet to change for Dak's advantage, we will see an even worse year coming. I truly think the biggest difference is not a prime WR but better play calling. This should easily happen after Dooley and Wilson called out the play calling.I guess we shall see, but I call for a better year for Dak.

If not expect a true change coming 2019......

CCBoy

Reaction score
That question is answered in this very off season. If the quarterback coach changes, it better be quickly...and the work of getting both Dez and Dak on the same page in the pre season work.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It depends are you going to put him in a Dak friendly offense because that's what he needs.

If you do that and his game is still off I'd say give him the whole season and if he stinks it up well you're going to have a high draft pick aren't you.

dfense

Reaction score
I think he's got all of next year, unless we add some QB talent to the roster. You don't pull the plug after 6 games unless you feel like you've got something that might make you better. You think that they'd be willing to hand the reins to Cooper Rush after 6 games next year? Especially since the odds of losing all 6 are slim, so Dak might not play great but if he's good enough to get the win he'll continue to start. He probably even gets the year after that unless the wheels fall off completely. Garrett hitched his wagon to Dak, telling Jerry that we didn't need Romo made sure of that.
Ha ha ha. Dak was hitched to Garrett.
Jr Jerry's love affair with Dak sealed that.

dfense

Reaction score
He has all of next year. Mind you, he wasn't bad this whole season. He got bad the Falcons game when Tyron didn't play. Ever since that game....he was terrible. Dak was on pace to have a better year this year than he had last year.

That's not to say he's flawless. But I think its important to at least give him a chance to have a whole season. He's earned that. He had one great year and one down year. You give the guy 2 years to learn the QB position?
Holy crap dude. Just the Falcons game? What are you watching?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I'm thinking 6 games at most. There's no way he's going to get more than that if he continues his awful play. QBs that have stretches like these belong in Cleveland.

What say you?
I’m concerned Jerry is already fully emotionally invested in Dak because of his popularity especially if the team wins just enough to remain relevant.

chicago JK

Reaction score
I think Dak will be here for a long time. Although, he will surely get a lot of heat. He is the QB of the Cowboys. That is part of the job.

I am certainly not a true X and O fan, but I think Dak and the coaches need to really improve and find ways for Dak to complete the relatively simple passes he did during his rookie year. I assume defensive coaches adjusted and took a lot of these looks away. As a rookie, Dak has security blankets in Beasley, Witten and the running backs. This kept the chains moving and also got Dak into a rhythm. Either Dak missed these reads this year of they were taken away. If defenses take these routes away, there needs to be opportunites elsewhere. It is up to Dak to execute and the coaches to put them in the right spot.

dfense

Reaction score
What are you reading? I said he was bad ever since the Falcons game....he had a good game in there I think against the Giants but mostly he was bad.
You're right, my bad. I tend to get agitated with the thought of Dak for another full year.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
If Dak was a first round pick no one would be talking about how long a leash next season. If Troy Aikman was a 4th round pick back in 89 many here would’ve wanted him to move on after his first season. Troy was 0-11 as a rookie and 7-19 his first two seasons. Everyone would’ve been screaming that we traded away the better QB in Steve Walsh. There were some in the media who did.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
What are you reading? I said he was bad ever since the Falcons game....he had a good game in there I think against the Giants but mostly he was bad.

He had a career game against the Giants in week 14. Career best in yards, TDs and passer rating. Granted they stunk this year but Dak had two of his worst games against them last season.