Daks TD's this year

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Dude everyone except 3 active qbs have losing records and worse stats when playing winning teams. I posted the article link earlier this thread. This is the NFL man, the other teams get paid too

Yeah but you're not concerned that half of his TD's came against 2 teams and the other 16 TD's were spread out over 12 games with 4 of those games not throwing a single TD pass...

That is not a good look at all. Maybe we don't need to win those games but at least perform if you're wanting this kind of money.

What exactly are we paying for?

817Gill

Reaction score
In fairness to Dak I do think we would need to see how other qb's do too. Maybe they all are doing similar things and us being Boys fans are giving Dak too much stuff.
From Sports Illustrated:

“Every single quarterback in the NFL with enough starts to qualify for consideration here, except for Brady, Ben Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson, are saddled with "losing records against winning teams.''

All of them.

Brady is 70-40 against winning teams.

Roethlisberger is 51-39 against winning teams.

Wilson is 26-21 against winning teams.

That's it. Everyone else, in this category, is Dak-esque.“

So yeah we grade Dak with such a narrow scope idk why

817Gill

Reaction score
Yeah but you're not concerned that half of his TD's came against 2 teams and the other 16 TD's were spread out over 12 games with 4 of those games not throwing a single TD pass...

That is not a good look at all. Maybe we don't need to win those games but at least perform if you're wanting this kind of money.
It’s not a career trend man his TD splits aren’t that huge throughout his career. He’s had a 4 year body of work. Why do we only judge 1 year and only with cherry picked context?

When the Cowboys evaluate whether or not to give him a deal, they look at everything contextually.

We also all unanimously agree the coaching has been sub par at best with JG. Why we don’t expect Dak to take another step confuses me as well

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you truly have ok but you're an outlier.
I call it as I see it, when Dak sucks, he gets blamed just like anyone else does. Film doesn't lie, i made a living as a football coach for 30 years, i know how to lay blame and how to give credit. It's a team effort. I even gave Garrett credit from time to time, believe it or not!! LOL

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In fairness to Dak I do think we would need to see how other qb's do too. Maybe they all are doing similar things and us being Boys fans are giving Dak too much stuff.

I just did a quick look at Wentz who is comparable to Dak and he had 9 TD's against those 2 teams.

His other 18 were spread out.. I don't see a big difference in his production regardless of opponent.

He had 1 game where he didn't throw a TD but he left the game early.

7 INT's on the year.

CWR

Reaction score
So Dak threw for 30 TD's this season.

9 of those TD's came in the first 3 weeks against awful teams. (All drafting top 5)

Against teams with a record of .500 or better he threw 11 TD's.

The other 19 came against the weak teams on our schedule and 13 of those 19 came in the first 3 weeks and week 17 against Washington when he threw 4 against a team that was done.

Dallas was also 2-7 against teams with a .500 record or better.

Dak had 4 games this year with no TD passes including our loss to the Jets...

He also had 11 int's... 3 of them came against the teams below .500.. The other 8 came against the teams with a .500 record or better.

Dak be slinging it! Lets go :dance::dance:

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Given some want to contractually compare Dak to Russell Wilson, against 4 different teams (taking his highest TD output in each game), Wilson passed for 14 of his season 31 TD's. However, Wilson led Seattle to a 4-0 record in those games and a 7-5 record in the remaining games for a total record of 11-5.

The primary difference between Dak and Wilson was that Wilson was much more competitive and consistent throughout the season unlike Dak.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I call it as I see it, when Dak sucks, he gets blamed just like anyone else does. Film doesn't lie, i made a living as a football coach for 30 years, i know how to lay blame and how to give credit. It's a team effort. I even gave Garrett credit from time to time, believe it or not!! LOL
Like I said you're an outlier but you're consistent on this topic. I can't do anything but respect that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
It’s not a career trend man his TD splits aren’t that huge throughout his career. He’s had a 4 year body of work. Why do we only judge 1 year and only with cherry picked context?

When the Cowboys evaluate whether or not to give him a deal, they look at everything contextually.

We also all unanimously agree the coaching has been sub par at best with JG. Why we don’t expect Dak to take another step confuses me as well

I expect him to get a little better but the problem is the contract..

I really like Dak when he is providing value. His contract being elite and how he relies on everyone else to elevate him is a problem.

If we had a Superbowl under our belt i'd pay him whatever but we have minimal playoff success.

It's not good. No matter what Cowboy homer tells you..

USArmyVet

Reaction score
I just did a quick look at Wentz who is comparable to Dak and he had 9 TD's against those 2 teams.

His other 18 were spread out.. I don't see a big difference in his production regardless of opponent.

7 INT's on the year.

You can easily argue that Dak CLEARLY had better talent given Wentz was literally throwing to guys that Philly pulled off the streets for near half of the season.....and yet Wentz was able to lead Philly to the NFC East title and a playoff birth whereas Dak led Dallas to an early vacation.

Philmonroe

Reaction score

7 INT's on the year.
Yeah if there are more qb's like this where it isn't as big as a difference stats wise regardless of opponent I think it will look bad for Dak. Nobody thinks all qb's kill better comp but your stats shouldn't be too much different if you're a top player depending on the talent level. I'm pretty sure that's how it is for most in their prime top qb's but I could be wrong.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
You can easily argue that Dak CLEARLY had better talent given Wentz was literally throwing to guys that Philly pulled off the streets for near half of the season.....and yet Wentz was able to lead Philly to the NFC East title and a playoff birth whereas Dak led Dallas to an early vacation.
Wentz did nothing other than wait for the inevitable collapse that had been coming for weeks. They simply lucked into one more win than a tanking Dallas team. You Wentz lovers can relax now.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
From Sports Illustrated:

“Every single quarterback in the NFL with enough starts to qualify for consideration here, except for Brady, Ben Roethlisberger and Russell Wilson, are saddled with "losing records against winning teams.''

All of them.

Brady is 70-40 against winning teams.

Roethlisberger is 51-39 against winning teams.

Wilson is 26-21 against winning teams.

That's it. Everyone else, in this category, is Dak-esque.“

So yeah we grade Dak with such a narrow scope idk why
Uh nah that wasn't the question though sir. It was do the stats drop off a cliff between good and bad competition not bs win loss QB rankings. I don't think anybody expects most people to consistently beat good great teams but do your stats fall off a cliff when the talent increases. That's the sign of someone who isn't that good IMO. Normally in my unscientific studies good/great players mainly do their thing regardless not consistently fall off the cliff depending on the comp level. This ain't just for Dak but any player on the alleged top level.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Oh yeah.. Dak was on one of the best rosters in the NFL and we were healthy.

This will also be an unpopular opinion but I don't think our defense was nearly the detriment that people make it out to be.

I think our defense was pretty good. Maybe we didn't get a ton of take aways but a lot of these games we lost our defense was fine.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Oh yeah.. Dak was on one of the best rosters in the NFL and we were healthy.

This will also be an unpopular opinion but I don't think our defense was nearly the detriment that people make it out to be.

I think our defense was pretty good. Maybe we didn't get a ton of take aways but a lot of these games we lost our defense was fine.

Considering takeaways are probably the most important thing a defense can do. Other than points allowed. I would say the lack of takeaways was a huge issue.

Also shouldn’t ignore the cowboys having unquestionably the worst special teams in the league.

Here’s food for thought.

the cowboys having the worst starting field position in the league, probably plays a factor in inflating Dak’s total yardage number. He had further to go every single possession than other QB’s.

then again, it also probably deflated his touchdowns and the teams total points because again, they had further to go than any other team in the league to score.

it cuts both ways.

Having the worst starting field position in the entire league is 100% absolutely a problem if you want to win games.

Asking your offense to drive the ball 80 yards over and over and over again is a recipe for disaster against good teams with good defenses.

Good defenses don’t give up 80 yard touchdown drives very often. That’s what makes them good defenses.

USArmyVet

Reaction score

Okay, I already provided the info on Dak's splits for 2019 where he feasted on both the Giants and Commanders in 4 games where almost 1/2 of his TD's were thrown.

So, let's look at the 2018 season:

Dak's stats against the Giants and Commanders (4 games) 3 Wins 1 Loss

135 attempts 87 completions 64.4% comp. 1,109 yards 8 TD's 0 Int's 108.3 rating

Dak's stats in remaining 12 games 7 Wins 5 Losses

391 attempts 269 completions 68.8% comp. 2,776 yards 14 TD's 8 Int's 92.4 rating

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
2019 Dak Prescott

4 Games (2 each against the Commanders and Giants)

4 Wins 0 Losses

130 attempts 96 completions 73.8% comp. 1,234 yards 14 TD's 2 Int's 130.38 Rating

Remaining 12 Games

4 Wins 8 Losses

466 attempts 292 completions 62.7 % comp. 3,668 yards 16 TD's 9 Int's 91.5 rating

Bottom line is that Dak feasted on 2 teams that went a combined 7-25 and was barely average against all other teams. I am sorry but that does not warrant a $35+ Million contract.
is that atypical? again could we do the same for other QBs? Brady feasted on Miami and Jets with 7 TDs and almost 70% completed rate and 4 wins...

and again, I won't discount the coaching factor as we should have won 3 games easily if not for coaching incompetence.....

am I comparing Brady and Dak? no....but you can not can not can not look at these stats in isolation

mahomes threw 8 of his 26 TDs against Denver and Oakland with over 70% completion rate...

is Dak = Mahomes? no, that's not what I am saying...but again you can't look at it in Isolation...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

What exactly are we paying for?
brady went three games and threw 0 TDs. same with Rodgers.... is that a good look for them?
Deshaun Watson had 4 games with 0 TDs, drew brees had 2 out of 11 games with 0 TDs

I am not defending Dak's games with 0 TDs.....but again you can't look at it in isolation, you can't just look at one stat and you have to take into account coaching....

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
is that atypical? again could we do the same for other QBs? Brady feasted on Miami and Jets with 7 TDs and almost 70% completed rate and 4 wins...

and again, I won't discount the coaching factor as we should have won 3 games easily if not for coaching incompetence.....

am I comparing Brady and Dak? no....but you can not can not can not look at these stats in isolation

mahomes threw 8 of his 26 TDs against Denver and Oakland with over 70% completion rate...

is Dak = Mahomes? no, that's not what I am saying...but again you can't look at it in Isolation...
The question is, did Denver and Oakland have a .218 winning percentage?
Everyone has splits, but you won’t find them as extreme as Dak’s. Dak was amazing against two of the worst teams in the league and below average against everyone else. You can’t slobber your way around that one.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
is that Dak's fault? or coaching fault?