Daks TD's this year

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Considering takeaways are probably the most important thing a defense can do. Other than points allowed. I would say the lack of takeaways was a huge issue.

Also shouldn’t ignore the cowboys having unquestionably the worst special teams in the league.

Here’s food for thought.

the cowboys having the worst starting field position in the league, probably plays a factor in inflating Dak’s total yardage number. He had further to go every single possession than other QB’s.

then again, it also probably deflated his touchdowns and the teams total points because again, they had further to go than any other team in the league to score.

it cuts both ways.

Having the worst starting field position in the entire league is 100% absolutely a problem if you want to win games.

Asking your offense to drive the ball 80 yards over and over and over again is a recipe for disaster against good teams with good defenses.

Good defenses don’t give up 80 yard touchdown drives very often. That’s what makes them good defenses.

Actually Dallas did NOT have the worse starting field position but actually 3rd to last (Dallas average line of scrimmage after kickoff was their own 24.08 yard line whereas the worst team was the Chargers starting at their own 23.40 yard line).

However, considering that the team with the BEST starting field position was Buffalo who started at their own 26.98 yard line, you can see that this represents a mere 2.9 yard difference between the best and where Dallas started.

Furthermore, if you look at the average line of scrimmage for all drives, Dallas ranks 3rd to last with their starting line of scrimmage being their own 26.19 yard line (Jacksonville was last with their starting line of scrimmage being their own 25.83 yard line). However, the team with the best starting field position was the Patriots who started at their own 32.64 yard line. Again, you are looking at only 6.65 yards difference between the best team and Dallas.

So, if you are really trying to say that because of a difference of 2.9 yards on kickoffs and 6.65 yards on all drives in terms of starting field position that Dak was severely hampered in his performance I would argue otherwise.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Okay, I already provided the info on Dak's splits for 2019 where he feasted on both the Giants and Commanders in 4 games where almost 1/2 of his TD's were thrown.

So, let's look at the 2018 season:

Dak's stats against the Giants and Commanders (4 games) 3 Wins 1 Loss

135 attempts 87 completions 64.4% comp. 1,109 yards 8 TD's 0 Int's 108.3 rating

Dak's stats in remaining 12 games 7 Wins 5 Losses

391 attempts 269 completions 68.8% comp. 2,776 yards 14 TD's 8 Int's 92.4 rating
ok, isn't that what you are supposed to do? feast on weaker teams. and play well against better opponents...we can also compare his stats before and after we got cooper....that made a huge difference in his performance in second half of the year.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Actually Dallas did NOT have the worse starting field position but actually 3rd to last (Dallas average line of scrimmage after kickoff was their own 24.08 yard line whereas the worst team was the Chargers starting at their own 23.40 yard line).

However, considering that the team with the BEST starting field position was Buffalo who started at their own 26.98 yard line, you can see that this represents a mere 2.9 yard difference between the best and where Dallas started.

Furthermore, if you look at the average line of scrimmage for all drives, Dallas ranks 3rd to last with their starting line of scrimmage being their own 26.19 yard line (Jacksonville was last with their starting line of scrimmage being their own 25.83 yard line). However, the team with the best starting field position was the Patriots who started at their own 32.64 yard line. Again, you are looking at only 6.65 yards difference between the best team and Dallas.

So, if you are really trying to say that because of a difference of 2.9 yards on kickoffs and 6.65 yards on all drives in terms of starting field position that Dak was severely hampered in his performance I would argue otherwise.
that's the problem with looking at averages, but how many times did they start in better field position that put them in scoring range quickly....
we also have to take into account lack of kicking game that led to a few losses and incompetent coaching decision in the 4th quarter during crucial times of the game that cost us 3 games...

did Dak have bad games? yes, like the last Philly game, like the GB game (despite the yards, that wasn't one of his best games)…. but he also had some very good games...

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Wentz did nothing other than wait for the inevitable collapse that had been coming for weeks. They simply lucked into one more win than a tanking Dallas team. You Wentz lovers can relax now.

I am not a Wentz lover at all but you simply can't ignore the fact that he led his team to the playoffs while receivers were literally being pulled off the streets due to all the injuries to starting WR's. Dak had a higher level of offensive weapons talent to throw to and he could not get the job done.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Looks like a regular distribution where a good QB scores more against bad defenses and less against good ones. Or scores less in situations where the team has become one dimensional.

Which maps pretty closely with what we see on Sundays.

It’s like the talking heads who suggest that Dak needs things like protection and receivers to throw to as if that’s in any way unusual for an NFL QB. I don’t get why everyone pretends he’s a unique case when he’s actually not. And nobody really ever calls it out.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
I am not a Wentz lover at all but you simply can't ignore the fact that he led his team to the playoffs while receivers were literally being pulled off the streets due to all the injuries to starting WR's. Dak had a higher level of offensive weapons talent to throw to and he could not get the job done.
The eagles backed into playoffs because the Cowboys players tanked to get rid of our cancerous HC.......don't make it sound like Wentz is some kind of super hero.........that's why he's so overrated.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
brady went three games and threw 0 TDs. same with Rodgers.... is that a good look for them?
Deshaun Watson had 4 games with 0 TDs, drew brees had 2 out of 11 games with 0 TDs

I am not defending Dak's games with 0 TDs.....but again you can't look at it in isolation, you can't just look at one stat and you have to take into account coaching....

Yeah.. But the problem I have is that in 2 of those games we didn’t score a single TD and in The Saints game we didn’t allow a TD and still lost because of the offense.

We didn’t score a TD until the 4th quarter of the Jets game.

I understand that their may be games where all your points come on the ground but in those 4 games there was really no excuse to be that bad.. Especially with a QB you’re going to pay elite money too.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
How much would you pay Dak?

28 million.. I know he’ll get more then that but I think that is when you start losing value with that player and I start looking elsewhere because the goal is to win a Super Bowl and it’s a bigtime struggle to win a title with a high paid QB and if I pay a guy I’d like for them to actually be elite and not pay them because other teams were stupid with their QB situation.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
ok, isn't that what you are supposed to do? feast on weaker teams. and play well against better opponents...we can also compare his stats before and after we got cooper....that made a huge difference in his performance in second half of the year.

...but he feasted on 2 weak teams and DID NOT play well against better opponents. In 2018 and 2019, Dak went 7-1 against the Giants and Commanders yet 11-12 against the rest of the schedule. How is that playing well against better opponents???

As for the addition of Amari Cooper, here are Dak's stats combined PRE and POST addition of Amari Cooper to the team:

PRE Amari Cooper

39 Games 25 Wins 14 Losses

1,155 attempts 747 completions 64.7% comp. 8,408 yards 53 TD's 21 Int's

(average) 29.62 attempts 19.15 completions 64.7% comp. 1.76 TD's 0.6 Int's

POST Amari Cooper

25 Games 15 Wins 10 Losses

916 attempts 616 completions 67.2% comp. 7,370 yards 44 TD's 15 Int's

(average) 36.64 attempts 24.64 completions 67.2% comp. 1.76 TD's 0.6 Int's

So, with the addition of Cooper to the team Dak's average attempts went up by 7 passes, average completions went up by 5.49 catches, comp % went up by 2.5%, yards went up by 79.2 yards, average TD's went down by .40, and Int's went up by .40.

However, the most important stat is that of wins and losses:

Win % PRE Amari Cooper 64.1%

Win% POST Amari Cooper 60%

USArmyVet

Reaction score
The eagles backed into playoffs because the Cowboys players tanked to get rid of our cancerous HC.......don't make it sound like Wentz is some kind of super hero.........that's why he's so overrated.

So you really believe the team tanked to get rid of Garrett? Okay then lol

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
So you really believe the team tanked to get rid of Garrett? Okay then lol
They absolutely did..........and we're successful.......when players refuse to high five their coach that usually means they're not very fond of you........even the commentators made numerous comments about it.

HungryLion

Reaction score

You do realize that they are averages over a hundred possessions?

Yes having a poor average starting field position is absolutely a bad thing. Any NFL coach would tell you that field position is important.

so if you don’t think field position is important, I can’t help you.

For example, Dallas Had I believe the lowest amount of possessions that started in opponent territory. I am pretty sure that’s correct. If not, again they were bottom 5.

If yuh don’t think starting with the ball in opponent territory helps scoring. Again I can’t help you.

HungryLion

Reaction score

let’s break this down further.

difference between the cowboys and #1 team for starting field position was 6.6 yards.

I don’t know the cowboys Total possessions for last year. But teams typically average around 12 per game.

if it was 12 per game. That is 192 possessions.

192 possessions multiplied by 6.6 yards per possession difference. That is a total of 1,267 additional yards the cowboys offense would need to drive to score touchdowns, over an entire season, is having the same number of drives.

1,200 yards is a ton of yards. So yeah. Needing to gain an additional 1,200 yards from the bests team field position wise, will certainly make an impact on a teams overall scoring.

There really is no argument to be made that field position isn’t important. Any football coach on any level, ever will tell you that field position is important. Being lowest 3 in the entire league field position wise, is a major problem. And it will impact the amount of points a team scores or allows.

pacy

82 WITTEN 82
Reaction score
28 million.. I know he’ll get more then that but I think that is when you start losing value with that player and I start looking elsewhere because the goal is to win a Super Bowl and it’s a bigtime struggle to win a title with a high paid QB and if I pay a guy I’d like for them to actually be elite and not pay them because other teams were stupid with their QB situation.

So if Dak signs for $28mil instead of $35mil, what can you get with those extra $7mil ?

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Looks like a regular distribution where a good QB scores more against bad defenses and less against good ones. Or scores less in situations where the team has become one dimensional.

Which maps pretty closely with what we see on Sundays.

It’s like the talking heads who suggest that Dak needs things like protection and receivers to throw to as if that’s in any way unusual for an NFL QB. I don’t get why everyone pretends he’s a unique case when he’s actually not. And nobody really ever calls it out.

Can you provide some other cases where his situation isn't unique because most of these QB's i'm looking at aren't having such a discrepancy as this.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
let’s break this down further.

difference between the cowboys and #1 team for starting field position was 6.6 yards.

I don’t know the cowboys Total possessions for last year. But teams typically average around 12 per game.

if it was 12 per game. That is 192 possessions.

192 possessions multiplied by 6.6 yards per possession difference. That is a total of 1,267 additional yards the cowboys offense would need to drive to score touchdowns, over an entire season, is having the same number of drives.

1,200 yards is a ton of yards. So yeah. Needing to gain an additional 1,200 yards from the bests team field position wise, will certainly make an impact on a teams overall scoring.

There really is no argument to be made that field position isn’t important. Any football coach on any level, ever will tell you that field position is important. Being lowest 3 in the entire league field position wise, is a major problem. And it will impact the amount of points a team scores or allows.
Our defense/special teams very rarely give the offense short fields to work with. They also don't score a lot of touchdowns. We've only had 4 defensive/special teams touchdowns from 2016-2019. I looked at Romo's first few years a week ago, so this is fresh off the top of my head. From 2006-2009, the defense and special teams scored 13 touchdowns and people considered defense the weakness on his teams. Just using that as a comparison to how bad our current defense has been in that category.

mcmvp

Reaction score
The eagles backed into playoffs because the Cowboys players tanked to get rid of our cancerous HC

Oh good Christ. I will have to look long and hard to find a theory more moronic than this. Whatever helps you cope...

lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do we need to spend 35 million or more a year to light up bad teams?
Do we need to make a decision based on one season, and do we need to place all the blame on the QB?

Obviously the QB is a key player, so of course he gets some of the blame, but is it fair to act as if the whole enchilada is on him? And what about his first 3 seasons where the Cowboys averaged almost 11 wins per season and won the division twice?

Bottom line is there are a lot of factors that have to be weighed to make the decision.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Do we need to make a decision based on one season, and do we need to place all the blame on the QB?

Obviously the QB is a key player, so of course he gets some of the blame, but is it fair to act as if the whole enchilada is on him? And what about his first 3 seasons where the Cowboys averaged almost 11 wins per season and won the division twice?

Bottom line is there are a lot of factors that have to be weighed to make the decision.

We can take every season into account.. I’m fine with that.. He’s proven exactly what he is.