Dallas Cowboys 2025 Salary Cap Situation

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Come 2025 folks be saying..................Dak..........who dat???????????????????????
Martin and Tank will be gone for various reasons.
Micah well lets see how he does this season against some real teams and QB......
I’d they sign Dak will you follow your model of not posting after wins? Except maybe make it longer to prove your point.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d they sign Dak will you follow your model of not posting after wins? Except maybe make it longer to prove your point.
Why ruin the Dak Homer party when he beats up on some dog teams really now La PAPPY is not a party pooper.
What glory beating up on the Jets without Rodgers, the Giants, D.C. and the Panthers, Falcons, etc.
When we meet a real team like the Bills or Niners well you Dak homers are looking in your excuse Rolodex who to blame for the turd that was laid once again by Prestrash.
Now name us 3 signature wins of Prestrashes that last 3 seasons and I'll send you a free Dak doll.

John813

Reaction score
They have a lot of cap space, and that's not including any cap rollover from this year.

The 68 mil includes the 40mil dead cap if they let Prescott contract void/expire.
If extended this season, that's potentially more cap space.

shabazz

Reaction score
Now name us 3 signature wins of Prestrashes that last 3 seasons and I'll send you a free Dak doll.
How can one forget when we beat the powerhouse 8-9 Bucs in the playoffs and Rayne singlehandedly retired the GOAT?

Does the man get any credit for that big win?

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Parsons probably won't be playing under the 5th year option. He'll probably get a deal done before that. If they extend Dak and Lamb now, by 2025 their cap hits will probably total anywhere between 30-40M. Easily. Then add Parsons, another 15M. Could be close to all of it depending on how much they push forward. The Cowboys like to use up all of the space so they don't have to get FAs.
I think you're right on Parsons getting a deal done, however the Cowboys have already picked up that option year and he is currently counting $21M against the cap for 2025. If they work out a deal so he only counts $15M against the 2025 cap, they free up $6m from the current projections.Plus you have to factor in that even if a new deal is reached that 5th year option doesn't just go away. Justin Herberts contract from this year is a good example. He signed a 5/$262M contract however it's really a 7 year/$300M contract he has because he will still be playing under the last year of his rookie deal in 2023, 5th year option that was picked up in 2024, and then his new extension starts in 2025. With his new deal it allowed LA to lower his 2024 cap hit from $29M to $19M by shoving some of that cash into the back end of the deal.

Similar with Dak....he has $40M in void money being counted towards next years cap already. An extension for him lets the Cowboys move that money around. Depending on the structure of that deal he may end up counting less than the $40M in 2025 that is already being factored in.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think you're right on Parsons getting a deal done, however the Cowboys have already picked up that option year and he is currently counting $21M against the cap for 2025. If they work out a deal so he only counts $15M against the 2025 cap, they free up $6m from the current projections.Plus you have to factor in that even if a new deal is reached that 5th year option doesn't just go away. Justin Herberts contract from this year is a good example. He signed a 5/$262M contract however it's really a 7 year/$300M contract he has because he will still be playing under the last year of his rookie deal in 2023, 5th year option that was picked up in 2024, and then his new extension starts in 2025. With his new deal it allowed LA to lower his 2024 cap hit from $29M to $19M by shoving some of that cash into the back end of the deal.

Similar with Dak....he has $40M in void money being counted towards next years cap already. An extension for him lets the Cowboys move that money around. Depending on the structure of that deal he may end up counting less than the $40M in 2025 that is already being factored in.
LOL, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. I know exactly how these contracts work. Herbert and Lawrence end up cheaper per year due to them getting signed early and having cheap rookie years left averaged in. But Dak is different. He has 40M next year, and 55M this year, along with an extension if they choose to give him one. It's not ideal.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
LOL, you're not telling me anything I don't already know. I know exactly how these contracts work. Herbert and Lawrence end up cheaper per year due to them getting signed early and having cheap rookie years left averaged in. But Dak is different. He has 40M next year, and 55M this year, along with an extension if they choose to give him one. It's not ideal.
I agree Daks situation isnt ideal, personally I dont think a new contract gets done because of how bad the money situation is. Still though I don't understand how you're getting that signing these guys will destroy the 2025 cap number? Maybe I misunderstood your previous post, but its not making sense to me how that would be the case.

Flamma

Reaction score
I agree Daks situation isnt ideal, personally I dont think a new contract gets done because of how bad the money situation is. Still though I don't understand how you're getting that signing these guys will destroy the 2025 cap number? Maybe I misunderstood your previous post, but its not making sense to me how that would be the case.
I'm not saying it will destroy the cap, just take up a bunch of it. If they sign both before the season starts, Dak and Lamb. This year's cap hit would be minimal. Lamb and Dak would be low cap hits. But it 2025 it's going to be at least 30-40M combined. Then you have to add in Parsons. That's probably going to be 10-15M in the first year. Worst case scenario 55M out of the 68M available.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
Why ruin the Dak Homer party when he beats up on some dog teams really now La PAPPY is not a party pooper.
What glory beating up on the Jets without Rodgers, the Giants, D.C. and the Panthers, Falcons, etc.
When we meet a real team like the Bills or Niners well you Dak homers are looking in your excuse Rolodex who to blame for the turd that was laid once again by Prestrash.
If they sign him will you not post like you don’t after most wins? Thats my question.

Cowboys fans celebrating and being happy about the win is a Dak homer party?

Make sense of that.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm not saying it will destroy the cap, just take up a bunch of it. If they sign both before the season starts, Dak and Lamb. This year's cap hit would be minimal. Lamb and Dak would be low cap hits. But it 2025 it's going to be at least 30-40M combined. Then you have to add in Parsons. That's probably going to be 10-15M in the first year. Worst case scenario 55M out of the 68M available.
But if Lamb/Dak combined for a $40M cap hit next year it wouldn't even cut into the $68M available number as Dak already has $40M for next year already factored into the equation. If Micah counts $15M next year thats already $6M less than that what is currently accounted for in that $68M available number.

If these new deals get done then we have to start with a number larger than $68M in available cap space as you'll have to recalculate for the $61M cap hits against Micah/Dak for next year as those would at least partially get pushed down the road.

If we factor out these two cap hits for 2024 you have to start with not $68M but $129M in available cap space and then start accounting for what Lamb/Dak/Parsons take up. So you may be pretty close with that $55M number but it would really be $55m out of $129M in available space.

I apologize if I'm missing something and making this 10x harder than it needs to be, but this is exactly I'm seeing from the data.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Dak is already on the books for $40m or so next year. Parsons extension won't hit until 2026.

The idea that the Cowboys have any cap difficulties right now is totally a lie.
They certainly had more they could do this offseason, but over the next couple of years they'll have to make some tougher decisions. The earlier year cap numbers for players we sign is usually low, but if you're paying someone an average of 30 some million a year and the first 2 years carry cap hits of 10 and 20 million that just means that other 30 million accelerates into other contract years. They'll just have to be more creative with these contracts and make aure all the contracts don't balloon in the same year.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
its interesting that other superbowl contenders and really well run team seem to have the ability to sign players they want to signz even if its for lots of money the chiefs seem to not ve having problems signing theirplayers

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know many aren't happy with the way the off season went this year. And there are obviously still 3 big name players wanting new deals and more to come quickly.

With that in mind, taking a look at a year from now the 2025 salary cap situation for the Cowboys paints an interesting picture.

As of right now the Cowboys will have $68,164,375 in cap space available. The 5th most in the NFL.

Get your popcorn ready.
which means they will resign a few of their own, play hardball on contract talks. resign a few mid level. sign a few mid level FAs. and have about 20M left on the cap...cha ching!

blueblood70

Reaction score
That's wonderful. Looking at the 2025 free agent class, I'm actually hoping they don't spend for the sake of spending. This was the year to address needs such as DT and RB.
Really you can get a running back next year they will address it next year whenever the dead cap is finally gone and they can reboot at the running back position sure would have been nice to draft one now but I believe it will be OK you can't address everything in one year we address the almost the entire offensive line the last two years, LBers, and Des, and we brought in some defensive tackle help to get us through till next year but those guys in the middle don't come up that often as far as there aren't a whole lot of them to choose from and where we've been picking it's hard to choose one over another skill set you need..

This comes in cycles I can see next year's draft it looks like we're gonna be looking for a running back and a wide receiver that would be where it starts we're loaded at BB we got our offensive line we've got young defensive end we might get another one but you can't address everything you see it that way but I see it as a bigger picture the last couple of years have been offensive line and linebacker a little bit of defensive end and now it'll shift back and they'll look for wide receivers and running backs in this upcoming draft you have to fill in with undrafted free agents and cheaper free agents to get 63 man roster filled in you cannot and I'm gonna say this address everything all at once you have to figure out what needs more dressing and at this point it was the offensive line was 100% the priority the last two years a long with Lber..

blueblood70

Reaction score
I know many aren't happy with the way the off season went this year. And there are obviously still 3 big name players wanting new deals and more to come quickly.

With that in mind, taking a look at a year from now the 2025 salary cap situation for the Cowboys paints an interesting picture.

As of right now the Cowboys will have $68,164,375 in cap space available. The 5th most in the NFL.

Get your popcorn ready.
Yes all things come in cycles they've had to get rid of a lot of dead cap money over the last five years slowly purge the team and get younger and now we have some young players up for contracts and you have Prescott up for another contract so they had to keep some future money available it's just part of the process and I don't mean to say that as a Jason Garrett thing they are looking ahead and it's not just Jerry Jones and the Jones family they have plenty of management up there that are lawyers and CPA's that know a little bit more about this and doing contracts than anyone here that's for damn sure...

There's no reason to say get your popcorn ready they're anticipating all this and not only those three we're going to have to get those 3 taken care of or have a direction and a plan with those 3 but then you have bland as as well I mean what are we gonna do with him...

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
its interesting that other superbowl contenders and really well run team seem to have the ability to sign players they want to signz even if its for lots of money the chiefs seem to not ve having problems signing theirplayers
The Chiefs are also not afraid to move on from players too. They traded Tyreek Hill for a draft haul. They also have a QB who gave them about as team friendly of a deal that you could ask for.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah but don’t they have like 30 players due to be free agents next year?

blueblood70

Reaction score
The Chiefs are also not afraid to move on from players too. They traded Tyreek Hill for a draft haul. They also have a QB who gave them about as team friendly of a deal that you could ask for.
Exactly people act like the cheeks who are beating these all in teams are somehow high risk super free agent players and they're not they do the same thing the Cowboys do if not worse we keep as many players if not more of our own players than they have they let it top notch wide receiver go they let one of the best corners in the league at the time go you know the one we lost out on in that trade they let some linebackers go they literally let players go they rebuilt their offensive line instead of playing their veterans a few years ago in the Super bowl they lost because of mahomes sprained ankle or whatever it was they rebooted they just got rid of everyone and they drafted them they didn't hardly bring in any free agents at all there's something on this place thinks that all teams do this and really only three teams in fact play the game like that and that would be the eagles the Niners and the Rams did it once.. Most teams operate like we do and I hate to give the front office any credit because no one around here would ever side with me and I'm not saying that they're one of the better front offices but most teams run their teams that same way they don't play high risk all in games they're looking ahead they're looking at the cap and they're trying to keep the risk down at the same time filling their team the best way possible and competing and the Dallas Cowboys have done that the last three years we're a top six team.

Say yeah somehow there's in a mirage or a rumor going as if the Super bowl winning team the team who are winning the Super bowl the last couple years the best team in the NFL just like the New England team they were not big players in free agency. And many times they let their players go when they were due for big contracts at least Jerry's trying to keep our own players...

And yes right now we have 3 unsigned superstars that are due for contracts but that doesn't mean they won't get done I think it's all this talk about lamb is premature I said we're not gonna sign him the man's under contract everybody is under contract for 2024 and that's all that matters I believe the contracts will all get done eventually.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Exactly people act like the cheeks who are beating these all in teams are somehow high risk super free agent players and they're not they do the same thing the Cowboys do if not worse we keep as many players if not more of our own players than they have they let it top notch wide receiver go they let one of the best corners in the league at the time go you know the one we lost out on in that trade they let some linebackers go they literally let players go they rebuilt their offensive line instead of playing their veterans a few years ago in the Super bowl they lost because of mahomes sprained ankle or whatever it was they rebooted they just got rid of everyone and they drafted them they didn't hardly bring in any free agents at all there's something on this place thinks that all teams do this and really only three teams in fact play the game like that and that would be the eagles the Niners and the Rams did it once.. Most teams operate like we do and I hate to give the front office any credit because no one around here would ever side with me and I'm not saying that they're one of the better front offices but most teams run their teams that same way they don't play high risk all in games they're looking ahead they're looking at the cap and they're trying to keep the risk down at the same time filling their team the best way possible and competing and the Dallas Cowboys have done that the last three years we're a top six team.

Say yeah somehow there's in a mirage or a rumor going as if the Super bowl winning team the team who are winning the Super bowl the last couple years the best team in the NFL just like the New England team they were not big players in free agency. And many times they let their players go when they were due for big contracts at least Jerry's trying to keep our own players...

And yes right now we have 3 unsigned superstars that are due for contracts but that doesn't mean they won't get done I think it's all this talk about lamb is premature I said we're not gonna sign him the man's under contract everybody is under contract for 2024 and that's all that matters I believe the contracts will all get done eventually.
Yeah KC is just a different animal right now. Honestly most of their recent free agent acquisitions haven't worked out all that well either. KC has had their own contract issues (Hill/Chris Jones) but overall they've made it work. The bulk of their roster construction success comes in drafting well, which aligns with how the Cowboys run their team too.

I wish it were longer but Belichick did an interview on the Pat Mcafee show a few days ago and started to hit on the subject of current contracts in the NFL. One thing that really stuck out to me is he said that its so much easier to navigate every other contract on the team when the QB has their contract situation figured out. I'm not saying that in a blame Dak way so I hope no one takes it that way, but it certainly looks to be a primary difference in these two teams right now. The Cowboys are really struggling to get their QB contract under control which I would assume is having a ripple effect to some extent on the Lamb situation and even once its resolved the structure of that deal could be the difference in signing a guy like Bland for example. KC on the other hand had some cap decisions to make when Mahomes first signed and Hill was a casualty of that, but since then really havent had any major hurdles other than the Chris Jones hold out.