News: Dallas Cowboys: 3 potential second-year stars to watch

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
None of them will even be starting save for 2 or 3 injuries in front of them. To suggest they could be breakout 2019 stars is beyond ridiculous.
I can see Schultz getting some playing time. he is a more compelte, albeit less athletic than Jarwin…..

Armstrong will get a couple of sacks if he gets enough playing time

Wilson...TBD. he is 6th on the depth chart and may not be active on game day

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Obviously the dispute here is the title of the "article" - a better title might have been something like...

"3 Second year players with potential to see more playing time"...

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The author of this article used the word "star" in the title as click bait. Steven, the author, is basically trying to say; I think we can count on these guys, if we have to count on these guys. Meaning this guys can step up and step in without us losing a lot of production.
It’s up to the reader in understanding he wasn’t calling them stars. He can’t spell it out any clearer.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
It’s up to the reader in understanding he wasn’t calling them stars. He can’t spell it out any clearer.
Well is the guy a professional writer or just some dude who's blogging? Here is what he bolded under the title....

"Here are three second-year players for the Dallas Cowboys who might blossom into stars this offseason for America’s Team."

NYC: what he wrote is technically true but to a sports fan its a bit much, if he would have said the same about a Gallup or maybe Williams
then there would probably be no issue.

Me personally - I see that title and the players he's
talking about and its just a puff piece.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: 3 potential second-year stars to watch
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/28/dallas-cowboys-3-potential-second-year-stars/

Here are three second-year players for the Dallas Cowboys who might blossom into stars this offseason for America’s Team.

The Dallas Cowboys’ 2018 draft class was highlighted by one player. That being their first round selection out of Boise State, linebacker Leighton Vander Esch. The rookie phenom shocked the football world, earning a Pro Bowl nod in his very first season.

But the Cowboys’ class had some other possible stars in the making whom, for whatever reason, needed more time to blossom. Here are three second-year Cowboys who have the potential to breakout in 2019...

Dorance Armstrong, DE

Cedrick Wilson, WR

Dalton Schultz, TE

Vot, no Rico!!

Hadenough

Reaction score
But can you agree that its unlikely for any of those 3 players to make the pro bowl THIS year correct?
Most likely wont! But I wouldn't expect that. I think these guys have a good season if the can contribute and get some playing time.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Most likely wont! But I wouldn't expect that. I think these guys have a good season if the can contribute and get some playing time.

Sure, but that's not what the title of the thread leads you to believe. Its leads you to believe they will break out into stars this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/28/dallas-cowboys-3-potential-second-year-stars/

Here are three second-year players for the Dallas Cowboys who might blossom into stars this offseason for America’s Team.

The Dallas Cowboys’ 2018 draft class was highlighted by one player. That being their first round selection out of Boise State, linebacker Leighton Vander Esch. The rookie phenom shocked the football world, earning a Pro Bowl nod in his very first season.

But the Cowboys’ class had some other possible stars in the making whom, for whatever reason, needed more time to blossom. Here are three second-year Cowboys who have the potential to breakout in 2019...

Dorance Armstrong, DE

Cedrick Wilson, WR

Dalton Schultz, TE

Hard for any of those guys to stand out. Too crowded at their positions. If Gregory comes back, as seems likely, it's hard to see Armstrong getting many snaps after Gregory, Lawrence, Quinn.

Schultz is the developing Witten type. I don't see us cutting Witten.

I'd guess that Wilson has the best chance. With the crowd at WR, they may drop Hurns and go with Wilson for red zone and 3rd down big possession target. But given how cheap Hurns is likely to be, with Stephen previously announcing they're looking at adjusting his contract, it will be hard to cut a guy of Hurns' quality.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

Dorance Armstrong, DE

Cedrick Wilson, WR

Dalton Schultz, TE
Schultz had more passes bounce off his hands than a 3rd period jr. high PE class gym floor. He can only make the team as a blocker and I would not keep him over Gathers. Armstrong has a chance because he can add pounds and line up at DE or DT as a pass rusher. Wilson could be the surprise of camp and before you cut him, give him a shot at DB (played DB in high school).

Flamma

Reaction score
Here are three second-year Cowboys who have the potential to breakout in 2019...

Dorance Armstrong, DE

Cedrick Wilson, WR

Dalton Schultz, TE

These guys have a better chance of not being on the team in 2019. None of these guys even have a chance to break out since they would be 3rd on the depth chart at their positions. It's like saying QB Mike White is going to have a break out season.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I like the fact that our receivers coach was impressed with Wilson last year before his injury betrayed him. He'll be watched intently this year to see if Sanjay Lal's optimism was wholly justified. Seeing as how he's well respected in his profession, I see no just cause to doubt his approval of a WR that he deems as being special. It sounded like pretty good news to me! ;)

Last edited:

the_h0wey

Reaction score

Dorance Armstrong, DE

Cedrick Wilson, WR

Dalton Schultz, TE

How is Gallup not the first player listed? He had far impact than the other 3 last year. I would anticipate him getting even better and making further strides

CCBoy

Reaction score
Second year prospects, hence, that group's development as to team value:

Second-round selection Connor Williams was a 10-game starter along the Cowboys’ talent-rich offensive line. Third-round selection Michael Gallup established himself as the team’s second wide receiver and posted a solid stat line of 33 receptions for 507 yards and two touchdowns.

In the fourth round, the Cowboys drafted defensive end Dorance Armstrong and tight end Dalton Schultz. Armstrong was stuck behind more talented veterans on the depth chart and found limited opportunities to shine. While Schultz started to come into his own as the season progressed after a surprising slow start.

Fifth-round selection Mike White made the active roster last season as a backup quarterback. He’ll likely have to beat out Cooper Rush to do it again this year. In the sixth round, Dallas added linebacker Chris Covington and wide receiver Cedrick Wilson. Covington, not to be confused with defensive lineman Christian Covington, was another victim of a deep depth chart. While a shoulder injury sidelined Wilson for the entire season.

https://thelandryhat.com/2019/05/29/dallas-cowboys-sophomore-big-jump/

(Our first round pick, already made the Pro Bowl.)

Batman1980

Reaction score
Connor Williams pushing out La'El Collins as the RT with the rookie becoming the new LG works for me.