Dallas Cowboys: A sobering two-deep defensive look before free agency

ESisback

Reaction score
I own a copy. The wife doesn't like it...

You know, it’s funny. Women will watch the most worthless CRAP, and most guys just suck it up and endure it without protest. If we said anything they’d FREAK OUT! Of course, if we watch something THEY don’t like, they whine until we change it!

CCBoy

Reaction score
You make assumptions. Incorrect ones at that.
Not worthy additions to this convo that you started.

My body is ready for your retort...
Hit me.

No, I don't add to agenda driven non discussions...and your addition was exactly again. But when that occurs, I may or may not respond in kind.

That above your head?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Life is all about how you mold the clay in front of you at any and all moments.
The way you've spoken of your wife, I get the feeling she always gives a fair shot to the movies to which you introduce her.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
No, I don't add to agenda driven non discussions...and your addition was exactly again. But when that occurs, I may or may not respond in kind.

That above your head?
Holy crap dude do you really see "prejudice" randomly in benign discussions about football? What the hell dude...either explain what the hell you meant or stop talking about it already.

On topic tear it all down, let almost all of them go, rebuild.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys: A sobering two-deep defensive look before free agency
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/01/23/dallas-cowboys-defensive-two-deep-free-agency/

DEFENSIVE TWO-DEEP
Left Defensive End – DeMarcus Lawrence, Joe Jackson
Left Defensive Tackle – Trysten Hill, N/A
Right Defensive Tackle – Antwaun Woods, N/A
Right Defensive End – Dorance Armstrong, Joe Jackson
Strong Side Linebacker – Luke Gifford, Chris Covington
Middle Linebacker – Jaylon Smith, Chris Covington
Weak Side Linebacker – Leighton Vander Esch, Chris Covington
Left Corner – Chidobe Awuzie, Deante Burton
Right Corner – Jourdan Lewis, Deante Burton
Strong Safety – Donovan Wilson, N/A
Free Safety – Xavier Woods, N/A

SKELETON CREW ON DECK
Of course there will be multiple signings, re-signings, and draft additions to fill in the holes, but still … wow. Talk about a skeleton crew manning the deck guns.

Three defensive ends and two defensive tackles is scary seeing the 2019 Cowboys roster was carrying 10 players at those positions. Only two of the five remaining were significant factors on the latest defense. Linebacker has four players remaining with only two who played regularly. Covington took 28 defensive snaps and Gifford had zero. It’s worth mentioning Vander Esch will be coming off a concerning neck surgery. Only two starting corners remain while Burton recorded just three snaps. Safety is depleted down to one returning starter, Wilson with his 16 snaps, and zero depth...
That actually feels like a pretty good group to start with.
You need a Starting Strong Safety and a 3rd CB.
You need some depth inside on the DL.

BTW, You missed Tryone Crawford.
He was on DL but is under contract.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
You know, it’s funny. Women will watch the most worthless CRAP, and most guys just suck it up and endure it without protest. If we said anything they’d FREAK OUT! Of course, if we watch something THEY don’t like, they whine until we change it!
Oh please. Stop your whining already. :p

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sure it wasn't a bling rap? Maybe a bum rap? How about a king sap, or maybe a wing flap?

( I think those make more sense, at least!!!)

oh, and do you, by the way, think that Crawford returns this next season? Why?...might just be proper, if an actual conversation is even intended.

kskboys

Reaction score
oh, and do you, by the way, think that Crawford returns this next season? Why?...might just be proper, if an actual conversation is even intended.
Not unless he's willing to play for a much smaller amount.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Obviously, the draft this year will need to concentrate heavily on defensive players.

The lack of depth following the defensive cuts will likely force that to be mandatory.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Yeah,...well what really gets me is the centuries old nano casting thats been going on by the sublime subminimalists that effects my breakfast eggs on tuesday mornings. Theres just no reason for it whatsoever! :eek:
Lmao

PhillyCowboysFan

Reaction score
I actually consider it a good thing considering that we are changing defensive schemes. Even though we are staying in an 4 man front, the personell they are going to want is different. They will play players to their strengths, but both the DC and DL coach are used to having bigger bodies on the DL. Cycling through players sooner rather than later keeps you from possibly pounding a square peg into a round hole

This right here! This is setup to totally revamp the defensive personnel to their specifics.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Yah I don’t think we have a choice now but to draft heavy.
I like the Alton Robinson kid from Syracuse. He shined bigtime at the Senior Bowl. A big bodied de/edge guy that was unblockable. He wrecked the rb and QB all day. He and Anae did. Robinson is a heavy handed big boy with a frame of a grown man. He made it look easy. He sure looks like someone we should be looking at.