News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Anae was a impact played in college. The tape doesn't lie. Plays much faster than his speed.

I agree but does not always translate to pros, not immediately.

I am a fan, just want a proven producer at RDE so Anae is given his best chance to succeed, first as rotation player.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Davis makes an interesting point about the month of October on the Cowboys’ recently released regular-season schedule for 2020. Dallas is set to take on the Cleveland Browns, the New York Giants, the Arizona Cardinals, and the Washington Commanders that month.

This group earned a combined record of 18-45 -1 in 2019, with the Browns posting the best overall record at 6-10. One other factor that favors the Cowboys in the month of October is the fact three of the four games will be played in AT&T Stadium.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/16/dallas-cowboys-october-key-season/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Anae was a impact played in college. The tape doesn't lie. Plays much faster than his speed.

I'm eager to see him out on the field against NFL competition. I was happy to know that he gave former Eagles 1st round pick Andre Dillard a hard time and got the only sack that he gave up during Dillard's final year in college. Hopefully, Dillard is the Eagles' starting left tackle this season and history repeats itself.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Before he was injured, Jalen Jelks seemed to be a disruptive presence on the D-line, although a bit under-strength. How do you think he'll progress with a year of NFL strength training? —DAVE DEWEY / BARDWELL, AZ

Nick: I had someone on the staff tell me they were disappointed that he got hurt and spent all of last year on IR because he not only needed the practice, but likely could've helped out later in the season. That was just one opinion but I do get the sense there is some serious optimism about him, and Joe Jackson, heading into this year. Now, with the current situation we're in, the guys haven't had the same strength program they would've had and it will likely affect these young guys. But if Jelks is indeed stronger this year, he could develop into a player that fights for a roster spot and/or playing time.

Rob: As Nick said, social distancing measures mean there's no in-person strength work with the coaches at The Star right now. But Jelks does have a big frame that can carry more bulk, even though he entered the league listed at under 260 pounds. The Cowboys liked his potential last year before the injury. I'm interested to see the competition for those reserve defensive end spots. Obviously the Cowboys are hopeful that Randy Gregory and Aldon Smith are reinstated. But regardless, Jelks and Jackson and Dorance Armstrong will be in competition with draft pick Bradlee Anae. And the Cowboys reached rookie free agent deals with three edge rushers, including Ron'Dell Carter, who was very productive at James Madison.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-more-help-at-defensive-end

CCBoy

Reaction score
With a healthy Vander Esch and the increased bulk in the interior of our defensive front, do you think this linebacker group can achieve the potential we've all been hoping for? —LES HOFFMAN / PELL CITY, AL

David: They need to. It's obviously a team effort, but I think the success of the linebacker corps was one of the main reasons why the defense was so great in 2018. Those guys need to be flying around, using their athleticism and instincts to mitigate plays. They invested a top-20 pick in Vander Esch, and they gave Jaylon Smith a lot of money. If they don't play up to those expectations, it's going to hurt their on-field performance and their salary cap situation.

Jonny: The linebacker core is a collective question mark, which is odd to say considering it's made up of three Pro Bowlers. But all three have extensive injury history. Sean Lee is on the other side of a decade in this league. So the first big question is whether all three can stay on the field. If so, then it's on Jaylon Smith to take the next step. He has the physical tools to be even better than he is. If he can silence his critics, then I think a healthy Vander Esch is a star and a healthy Lee is at least reliable. That's how they reach the potential you're talking about.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-big-year-for-the-linebackers

Whyjerry

Reaction score
GiganticWatchfulCuckoo-max-1mb.gif

An all time hottie right there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...The Cowboys want playmakers and it makes sense, the Cowboys of the 90s had star-players outside of the trenches. But their number one strategy was to run teams over so many times throughout a game that it wasn’t even a contest by the end of the game. They were great at it, the reason they won 79% of their games for that four-year stretch. So, as the Cowboys have star players dotting the field, do they have enough horsepower upfront?

In my opinion, it will come down to the health of Smith at left tackle, who hasn’t played a full season since 2015. If Smith is healthy this offensive line is still excellent, especially with the growth of Connor Williams at the left guard spot. The margin for error is thin though, the thinnest it might be ever for this modern group.

Past seasons the group was determined well before training camp and could overcome any injuries. The offensive line is still the identity of a successful Dallas Cowboys team and 2020 has to be the same if the offense wants to be able to take advantage of their firepower at the skill positions. The organization can’t forget their roots...

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/07/support-great-cause-get-dallas-cowboys-t-shirt/

CCBoy

Reaction score
...In the 2018 season, Crawford played in 15 games. In them, he sacked the quarterback 5.5 times while making 34 tackles. This was while playing only 62 percent of the defensive snaps. This is a great contribution for someone playing a fill-in role along the defensive line. No, he is not likely to lead the league in sacks, and that shouldn’t be expected of him. What you get from Crawford is reliability, power, and leadership.

He is someone that will work well with rookie defensive linemen Bradlee Anae and Neville Gallimore. This while working on the opposite side of defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence, making the most of the attention given to Lawrence...

...Heading into the 2020 season, it looks like Crawford will be getting the starting snaps. That is unless one of Randy Gregory, Aldon Smith, or both get reinstated into the NFL. In that case, the snaps will likely be split between the trio, with Crawford getting the biggest piece of the pie.

Regardless of what happens, Crawford is a very important piece to the defense. The duo being reinstated or not will only make him a lot more important, or slightly less important. This is because if the duo is brought back, they will be depth pieces. No matter what, Crawford is the lead guy opposite Lawrence unless someone takes the spot from him mid-season...

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/20/dallas-cowboys-tyrone-crawford-important/

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"In the 2018 season, Crawford played in 15 games. In them, he sacked the quarterback 5.5 times while making 34 tackles. This was while playing only 62 percent of the defensive snaps. This is a great contribution for someone playing a fill-in role along the defensive line. No, he is not likely to lead the league in sacks, and that shouldn’t be expected of him. What you get from Crawford is reliability, power, and leadership."

This is a perfect example of why it should be called the *** hat rather than insulting the good name of Tom Landry.

This goof talks about 5.5 sacks and Tyrone Crawford while clearly either:
  1. Not knowing himself
  2. Intentionally trying to mislead
Those sacks didn't come from playing RDE, they came when Crawford was lined up inside - where he belongs. And the vast majority also came not as the result of Crawford beating blocking, but from stunts between tackle and end. That's what Crawford needs to be effective - tricks, because he can't beat blockers on his own.

So again either this hack didn't know his facts - which I'll go with - or he intentionally omitted the truth from his argument.

Either way, more trash from the Hat, where apparently anyone can write whatever they like.

And is anyone good with paying $9.1 million for "someone playing a fill-in role along the defensive line"? I know I'm not. I'll use the clown's own words against him.

CCBoy

Reaction score
"In the 2018 season, Crawford played in 15 games. In them, he sacked the quarterback 5.5 times while making 34 tackles. This was while playing only 62 percent of the defensive snaps. This is a great contribution for someone playing a fill-in role along the defensive line. No, he is not likely to lead the league in sacks, and that shouldn’t be expected of him. What you get from Crawford is reliability, power, and leadership."

This is a perfect example of why it should be called the *** hat rather than insulting the good name of Tom Landry.

This goof talks about 5.5 sacks and Tyrone Crawford while clearly either:
  1. Not knowing himself
  2. Intentionally trying to mislead
Those sacks didn't come from playing RDE, they came when Crawford was lined up inside - where he belongs. And the vast majority also came not as the result of Crawford beating blocking, but from stunts between tackle and end. That's what Crawford needs to be effective - tricks, because he can't beat blockers on his own.

So again either this hack didn't know his facts - which I'll go with - or he intentionally omitted the truth from his argument.

Either way, more trash from the Hat, where apparently anyone can write whatever they like.

And is anyone good with paying $9.1 million for "someone playing a fill-in role along the defensive line"? I know I'm not. I'll use the clown's own words against him.

Couldn't handle the description of a supportive, but good role...carry on.

Up to a signature bet yet?

CCBoy

Reaction score
DE DeMarcus Lawrence DeMarcus Lawrence
DT Gerald McCoy Gerald McCoy
DT Dontari Poe Dontari Poe
DE Tyrone Crawford Randy Gregory
OLB Leighton Vander Esch Leighton Vander Esch
ILB Jaylon Smith Jaylon Smith
CB Chidobe Awuzie Chidobe Awuzie
CB Trevon Diggs Trevon Diggs
CB Anthon Brown Jourdan Lewis
S Xavier Woods Xavier Woods
S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix Ha Ha Clinton-Dix

...PFF also has Randy Gregory starting at defensive end
For the most part the NFL.com projection is fairly conservative. Tyrone Crawford is the team’s defensive end opposite of DeMarcus Lawrence and re-signed Anthony Brown is at the third cornerback spot. Going McGovern over Williams is their lone leap of faith.

PFF is a bit more brave here as evidenced by the Biadasz note. On defense, they too have Trevon Diggs starting as a rookie but they also have Randy Gregory in over Tyrone Crawford. Obviously Gregory would have to first be made eligible by Commissioner Roger Goodell to even play for the Cowboys, let alone start, but if that comes to pass it is certainly conceivable that he could see legitimate snaps.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...picks-and-randy-gregory?ref=NEWSandRUMORS.com

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Couldn't handle the description of a supportive, but good role...carry on.

Sorry, but I pointed out more facts than your hero did. And mine are accurate.

XysAs5u.gif

Up to a signature bet yet?

Of a valid point? No problem. Let me know when you have one.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sorry, but I pointed out more facts than your hero did. And mine are accurate.

XysAs5u.gif

Of a valid point? No problem. Let me know when you have one.

...always running from simple truth...Crawford is a contributor. Couldn't as always, own up to a valid place for just that, A CONTRIBUTOR.

HOW TO DRAW A TRASH CAN CUTE, Easy step by step drawing lessons for kids

Great entertainment just for you...I already know that a trash can is for...and for you, no need to add football. You delve in trash...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmS7X60nqU
Jul 16, 2017 · How to draw a trash can is the point of this video. Draw a trash can it isn’t hard an now I’ll teach you. In 365 Sketches I’ll teach you step by step drawing lessons for kids and anyone that …

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
...always running from simple truth...Crawford is a contributor. Couldn't as always, own up to a valid place for just that, A CONTRIBUTOR.

HOW TO DRAW A TRASH CAN CUTE, Easy step by step drawing lessons for kids

Great entertainment just for you...I already know that a trash can is for...and for you, no need to add football. You delve in trash...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYmS7X60nqU
Jul 16, 2017 · How to draw a trash can is the point of this video. Draw a trash can it isn’t hard an now I’ll teach you. In 365 Sketches I’ll teach you step by step drawing lessons for kids and anyone that …

source.gif

CCBoy

Reaction score
The biggest wildcard of this group is Connor McGovern. The player both Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones and former head coach Jason Garrett called a blinking light in the third round of the 2019 NFL Draft, Dallas made McGovern the 90th overall selection despite pressing roster needs elsewhere. His value was simply too great to ignore as the team had an apparent high-second round grade on him.

McGovern played both center and guard while at Penn State. As a rookie last season, the talented prospect was expected to compete with Connor Williams and Xavier Su’a-Filo for the starting left guard position.

Unfortunately, a pectoral injury robbed McGovern of the chance to contribute during his first season in Dallas, landing him on Injured Reserve. Now the 22-year old enters his second year with the Cowboys under a new coaching regime, with a new positional coach, and not having played meaningful football in more than a year.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/20/dallas-cowboys-blinking-light-pay-off-2020/

CCBoy

Reaction score
Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott: Could benefit from spread formation
Rotowire 2D ago
Elliott could be one of the bigger beneficiaries of CeeDee Lamb's addition to the offense, Michael Gehlken of The Dallas Morning News reports.

With Randall Cobb on the roster last season, the Cowboys ran plays out of '11' personnel (one running back, one tight end, three wide receivers) roughly two-thirds of the time, forcing defenses to put an extra defensive back on the field instead of a linebacker. Elliott averaged 5.1 yards per carry out of that formation, the fifth-highest mark in the league, and his 823 total rushing yards from 11 personnel also led the NFL. With first-round pick Lamb now stepping in for Cobb, and the more conservative Jason Garrett gone as head coach, the team will likely increase its use of 11 personnel further, allowing Elliott to face even fewer stacked fronts.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/teams/DAL/dallas-cowboys/

CCBoy

Reaction score
Looney, who has also played games for the Cowboys at guard, started at center in 2018 when Frederick was sidelined with Guillain-Barre syndrome. While most hoped he was just keeping the position occupied until Frederick could return, his next opportunity could prove to be as a long-term place in the starting lineup, and playing behind and with Frederick is an advantage he holds in any position battle. "We've had some great centers here in the past, and Travis set a standard for me when I first got here," Looney said. "Him, Zack, Tyron, LC, the way these guys work just makes you want to be better at your craft."

Make no doubt about it, Looney is in the NFL because of apparent skill, but he's been particularly valued on the Cowboys for his ability to stay ready to contribute and his energetic optimism no matter the circumstances. The moods around the Dallas Cowboys have been high and low since Looney joined the team in 2016, but throughout it all he could be found smiling in the locker room or dancing on the practice field during warm-ups.

So, even as a potential starter, Looney knows that the Dallas Cowboys are an organization that appreciates him for what he provides as a person. So if Tyler Biadasz, the center Dallas selected in the fourth round of last month's draft, expected the veteran cold shoulder from Looney, he should be relieved to know he'll be getting an energetic mentor.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/202...the-most-this-offseason?ref=NEWSandRUMORS.com

CCBoy

Reaction score
More fuel to running the ball...

Mike McCarthy is known to keep (and use!) a fullback. Who do you think makes the cut as FB for this year's team? Do you think someone like Charlie Taumoepeau can be converted to FB? Or someone like Jordan Chunn?— J.M. Smith

Waldorf, MD

Rob: They picked up the option on Jamize Olawale and I would imagine it's still his job to lose at this point. This hasn't really manifested itself in games, but offensive coordinator Kellen Moore loves Olawale's versatility as a skill player, not just as a lead blocker. Perhaps that shows up a little more this year. But there are only so many touches to go around.

David: If I had to bet on someone, it'd definitely be Jamize Olawale. But I'm going to keep an eye on undrafted rookie Sewo Olonilua. The former TCU running back is 6'3, 230 pounds. He's obviously big, but he's good with the ball in his hands. I'm excited to see what he can do when the team finally gets to report for practice.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/mailbag-expectations-for-aldon-smith