News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
That's a trick question...right?

Top money wasn't offered out in free agency, beyond WR and their own free agent. But there was a higher level of player negotiations for a directed change in the defensive line...and still within cap. Type of tackles being signed, changed...and money was used there. So as such, unprecedented.

The cap space for QB has already been included...but if a new contract, room will grow in the first year.

But go ahead and act like the source of comment is stupid because it's yet another name the 'clown' jerk around for some here...maybe one should just use a convenient and insultive stereotype and show real class there.
Sigh... whatever.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sigh... whatever.

During the 2018 season, the Dallas Cowboys had one of their best defenses in over a decade, statistically finishing in the top-10. Finally, it seemed, the Cowboy had found their proverbial “War Daddies” in edge rushers DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory (along with Tyrone Crawford and Maliek Collins).

From the defensive line, to the the linebacking corps, to the secondary, the Cowboys defense was clicking on all cylinders. Linebackers Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch became one of the youngest and most talented linebacking duos in the league, earning the nickname, Van Jaylon. Stabilizing the whole thing was “The General”, Sean Lee.

Former Cowboys Byron Jones led a young, promising, up and coming secondary made up of Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis, Xavier Woods, and Kavon Frazier. The majority of that defensive unit returned in 2019 looking like a shell of itself. On paper it was largely the same one that laid a physical beat down on the New Orleans Saints a season before but on the field it looked nothing alike.

https://sportdfw.com/2020/05/14/dallas-cowboys-will-go-defense-takes-them/

Expanding on a real discussion...

it should be apparent, that I don't feed the wild animals when attempting to talk football. I have humor, but don't indulge outright insult at all. Yea, whatever...

Corso

Reaction score
During the 2018 season, the Dallas Cowboys had one of their best defenses in over a decade, statistically finishing in the top-10. Finally, it seemed, the Cowboy had found their proverbial “War Daddies” in edge rushers DeMarcus Lawrence and Randy Gregory (along with Tyrone Crawford and Maliek Collins).

From the defensive line, to the the linebacking corps, to the secondary, the Cowboys defense was clicking on all cylinders. Linebackers Jaylon Smith and Leighton Vander Esch became one of the youngest and most talented linebacking duos in the league, earning the nickname, Van Jaylon. Stabilizing the whole thing was “The General”, Sean Lee.

Former Cowboys Byron Jones led a young, promising, up and coming secondary made up of Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown, Jourdan Lewis, Xavier Woods, and Kavon Frazier. The majority of that defensive unit returned in 2019 looking like a shell of itself. On paper it was largely the same one that laid a physical beat down on the New Orleans Saints a season before but on the field it looked nothing alike.

https://sportdfw.com/2020/05/14/dallas-cowboys-will-go-defense-takes-them/

Expanding on a real discussion...

it should be apparent, that I don't feed the wild animals when attempting to talk football. I have humor, but don't indulge outright insult at all. Yea, whatever...
I wasn't insulting you, but that's fine. It's not worth anything.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I wasn't insulting you, but that's fine. It's not worth anything.
Where's your comment on topic...but that is worth something.

And if you bothered to read my comment, you were never referred directly to...but others were. If you can't handle that, stay off a similar vein then. You wouldn't have had emotions, if you weren't carrying your own agenda. I'm here to talk football and be social in the process, but I won't wear another's labels, and not comment. Mine or others!

I lived an ethical life as a veteran...leaving NO MAN behind.

I grew up taking note of not normal things and warning someone if that was necessary. I don't go along like many here, that see something that needs a conscience and then comment...that's so stupid or he's ignorant. I certainly don't bait legal action and publicly defame another on site, while declaring they need mental assistance...because they themselves just listen to their own agenda and biased emotions.

If you are offended by someone standing on simple honesty and respect, then my advice then, is to stay out of the way...or help.

Corso

Reaction score
Where's your comment on topic...but that is worth something.

And if you bothered to read my comment, you were never referred directly to...but others were. If you can't handle that, stay off a similar vein then. You wouldn't have had emotions, if you weren't carrying your own agenda. I'm here to talk football and be social in the process, but I won't wear another's labels.

I grew up taking note of not normal things and warning someone if that was necessary. I don't go along like many here, that see something that needs a conscience and then comment...that's so stupid or he's ignorant. I certainly don't bait legal action and publicly defame another on site, while declaring they need mental assistance...because they themselves just listen to their own agenda and biased emotions.

If you are offended by someone standing on simple honesty and respect, then my advice then, is to stay out of the way...or help.
Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. I posed a simple question and you took it as an insult.
For that, I apologize. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Honestly, I don't know what you're talking about. I posed a simple question and you took it as an insult.
For that, I apologize. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day.

I'll take covering one's on path and recognize that I wasn't part of that way from the start...if you don't bring football, don't even start to shallowly apologize...just don't bother.

Oh, you understand integrity? I learned at the Air Force Academy, to not lie, steal, or cheat...or tolerate those that do. Too ignorant a stance?

You also understand ethics and morales...but talk football with me, and don't ever feign ignorance and a burn barrel viewpoint. I stand on my own merit, not group or block cultures, so don't be confused.

Talking football, I spend a lot of time...if one can't see that, then don't bother to respond to this fan...at all. If you want football, then offer something...

So long...by all means, enjoy your day and stay safe!

Last edited:

Corso

Reaction score
I'll take covering one's on path and recognize that I wasn't part of that way from the start...if you don't bring football, don't even start to shallowly apologize...just don't bother.

Oh, you understand integrity? I learned at the Air Force Academy, to not lie, steal, or cheat...or tolerate those that do. Too ignorant a stance?

You also understand ethics and morales...but talk football with me, and don't ever feign ignorance and a burn barrel viewpoint. I stand on my own merit, not group or block cultures, so don't be confused.

Talking football, I spend a lot of time...if one can't see that, then don't bother to respond to this fan...at all. If you want football, then offer something...

So long...by all means, enjoy your day and stay safe!
My question was about football, guy. Do you just go on insane rants with everyone? I bet your grandchildren have learned to simply stay away from the weird guy.
Bragging about talking about football while going off on some tangent when asked a football question... I asked a football question. You talked nonsense.

Talk more about your airforce academy experience. That's football.

CCBoy

Reaction score
My question was about football, guy. Do you just go on insane rants with everyone? I bet your grandchildren have learned to simply stay away from the weird guy.
Bragging about talking about football while going off on some tangent when asked a football question... I asked a football question. You talked nonsense.

Talk more about your airforce academy experience. That's football.

My head coach was Ben Martin and he was replaced by Bill Parcells...as if all were stupid to you to start. That Falcons team, played Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl. Then for Texas A&I, I played for Gil Steinke and we were National Champs in NAIA...5 of those players there, were drafted and played in Pro Bowls during their careers...but you are probably right, that means nothing. TO YOU!

Alright, since you are already smug and full of football, also...

Back to Bill Parcells, Mr. Already knowing everything. Why did Bill not go to a 3-4 defense before his third season? Oh yea, you don't answer questions really about football...only opinion.

I'll tell you, because the players he had starting out, couldn't have handled it.

But Bill had old school sights on the playing of football. Strong up the middle first. He accumulated and drafted for three seasons and then formed his 3-4 defense.

Well, what is the Cowboys coach now doing, building his defense similarly. By the way, where did he start rebuilding, first? The defensive line...but he made a strong move and not just treading water which has been argued through this thread.

By the way, how would one reasonably project the strength of those two DL free agents?

By going back and review their presence and how it affected running effectiveness while they were in. You could research 4th, 3rd, and Red Zone effectiveness for the team with them in the lineup....you know, none football stuff here.

Was their quarterback needing a couple of short field starts to win games?

What were the team stats on pressures, turn-overs for short field successes, sacks, and where did the team stand in NFL comparisons.

You might also take a look at Cowboys tendencies in similar circumstances...and pay attention to totals in sacks, that would accumulate with Dallas despite losing a 10 sack defensive end. The Cowboys just might be better off...but that isn't understandable, right guy?

Go ahead and answer some of those, since they are non-football also, and stupid to boot...never mind, you need a decoder ring and not to be challenged. Good night guy...I build directional views, developing as I go...but you already know everything.

Again as if nothing was coming together but your complaints.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This was the new direction made by the new Dallas Head Coach:

The Cowboys used free agency to sign veterans like defensive tackles Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe, quarterback Andy Dalton, safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix, cornerback Daryl Worley, and kicker Greg Zuerlein. Dallas also landed a very talented draft class with rookies like wide receiver CeeDee Lamb, cornerback Trevon Diggs, and defensive tackle Neville Gallimore all expected to make an impact in their first-year.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/15/dallas-cowboys-offseason-mission-accomplished/

That includes 3 defensive tackles...my guess very important direction there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Now why would someone have faith in these moves?

After the disappointing 2019 season, the Cowboys did not renew head coach Jason Garrett’s contract and instead hired Mike McCarthy to be the ninth head coach in franchise history. McCarthy was the Green Bay Packers coach from 2006 through the 2018 season. During the 13 years as Packers coach, he compiled 127-79-2 win, loss and tie record.

In 2010, he led the Packers to a Super Bowl win in AT&T Stadium over the Pittsburgh Steelers. He also faced the Cowboys in AT&T Stadium three times winning each game including a playoff game in the 2016 season. Cowboys fans are hoping that his perfect record in AT&T stadium continues.

McCarthy’s resume screams production. His Packers made the playoffs nine times in his thirteen seasons. More importantly, in six of the playoff seasons, his Packers won a playoff game which has been hard for all the Cowboys coaches since Barry Switzer resigned after the 1997 season.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/15/dallas-cowboys-mike-mccarthy-drought/

Sorry 'smart guys,' I don't think my thoughts have been stupid...and I don't care if my voice wasn't agreed with. I, although, didn't have the negative agenda or disagree for my own indifference. Naw, this is the real deal now...

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
giphy.gif

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
Unprecedented is the wrong word for me. Apparently this writer wasn’t around in the 90s when this team was legitimately 2-3 starters deep in the trenches. What about the 80s common....unprecedented....common.

Corso

Reaction score
My head coach was Ben Martin and he was replaced by Bill Parcells...as if all were stupid to you to start. That Falcons team, played Tennessee in the Sugar Bowl. Then for Texas A&I, I played for Gil Steinke and we were National Champs in NAIA...5 of those players there, were drafted and played in Pro Bowls during their careers...but you are probably right, that means nothing. TO YOU!

Alright, since you are already smug and full of football, also...

Back to Bill Parcells, Mr. Already knowing everything. Why did Bill not go to a 3-4 defense before his third season? Oh yea, you don't answer questions really about football...only opinion.

I'll tell you, because the players he had starting out, couldn't have handled it.

But Bill had old school sights on the playing of football. Strong up the middle first. He accumulated and drafted for three seasons and then formed his 3-4 defense.

Well, what is the Cowboys coach now doing, building his defense similarly. By the way, where did he start rebuilding, first? The defensive line...but he made a strong move and not just treading water which has been argued through this thread.

By the way, how would one reasonably project the strength of those two DL free agents?

By going back and review their presence and how it affected running effectiveness while they were in. You could research 4th, 3rd, and Red Zone effectiveness for the team with them in the lineup....you know, none football stuff here.

Was their quarterback needing a couple of short field starts to win games?

What were the team stats on pressures, turn-overs for short field successes, sacks, and where did the team stand in NFL comparisons.

You might also take a look at Cowboys tendencies in similar circumstances...and pay attention to totals in sacks, that would accumulate with Dallas despite losing a 10 sack defensive end. The Cowboys just might be better off...but that isn't understandable, right guy?

Go ahead and answer some of those, since they are non-football also, and stupid to boot...never mind, you need a decoder ring and not to be challenged. Good night guy...I build directional views, developing as I go...but you already know everything.

Again as if nothing was coming together but your complaints.
Lol...

Rant is at Defcon 2!
I repeat!
Rant is at Defcon 2!

CCBoy

Reaction score
Lol...

Rant is at Defcon 2!
I repeat!
Rant is at Defcon 2!

Look, if it isn't obvious...I don't like you and your good 'ol buddies...at all. Don't want to talk football, take you and your burn barrel buddies back to your club room...out doors around the burn barrel. No, I don't like you guys at all...had get in on another thread that said something positive and couldn't start to answer questions directed completely about football issues and specificly about the defensive side of ball

It doesn't take much intellect to see through bull**** passed around with the ripple.

Couldn't even handle owning up to a discussion. You can't handle that part, except for a poor round of cheap shots and flimsy name calling.

Brain short changed, take a swag at this one...about football and OP topic. Don't be the usual coward and step on up...let's see:

Freeney was a top run pass rusher...he was noted for his speed and power bundle. He was taken when at college, he had a 20 sack year. Today, there don't seem to be too many rushers coming out of college with that kind of calling card. Washington's #2 pick went for a similar type of defensive end. He had 16 this past year. He joins a Washington team that had 46. Oh, he will add to their defense, and that team well could end up with 52 sacks...But that skill isn't the dominant view.

Washington's defense was one of the NFL's very worst, at run defense and pass defense.

Dallas was about 10 or 11 in most categories on the defensive side. What also doesn't meet your type of eye scrutiny, involves the critical sack stats. Those are the 3rd and 4th down plays and when blitzes, stunts, and stopping the opponent is critical. The Cowboys were about the 3rd best in the NFL, on being successful on those very plays.

Since you are so bent in not knowing about where the rubber actually meets the road, and don't go stupid at such an anaology again...c'mon, step up to the play and explain just a description of where 3 techniques are either there or not, for Lawrence, Smith, and Gregory.

Let us all know about THEIR speed to power abilities really are, and the real meat of the outside pressure for Dallas.

Let's hear some of your fabled imput about something actually valid in discussion. That, or maybe you and Stasheroo can just get a room...he has no real guts as well.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys added three interior linemen in Gerald McCoy, Dontari Poe, and Neville Gallimore. McCoy and Poe are expected to take the starting snaps. With McCoy being 32 years old and Poe being 29, there should be good snaps available subbing in every once in a while. McCoy will likely get around 70 percent of defensive snaps, with Poe likely being around 60 to 65 percent. Poe did not have as much of a role with the Carolina Panthers, resulting in him having 52 and 36 percent of the defensive snaps in two years with the team. McCoy was in the 70 percent range from 2015 to 2018, so he may likely have a similar piece of the pie, if not smaller.

This leaves room for Hill to put in some snaps, right? Well, he now has to worry about 2020 third-round pick, Gallimore. Hill is one year younger than Gallimore, despite being drafted one year prior.

There has been a lot of praise about Gallimore, so he may put up a good competition with Hill. Who would get the edge? The one year NFL pro with very limited snaps, or the rookie? This will be a matter of battling it out during training camp, however that works out during this pandemic.
Let’s not forget that defensive tackle Antwaun Woods was re-signed. What once looked like a very thin group of players, now looks like it is overfull. To add more on why Hill may not get much of an opportunity again, he has a history of character problems. According to NFL analyst Lance Zierlein, he has had trouble with coaches in college and has been challenged over his work ethic.

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/16/dallas-cowboys-trysten-hills-role-2020/

CCBoy

Reaction score
It happens almost every year around this time; a fresh crop of NFL rookies come in and steal most of the attention and hype from the last one. One 2019 draft pick who finds himself nearly forgotten now is Defensive End Joe Jackson. But the sophomore deserves to be mentioned among the contenders for the Dallas Cowboys’ 2020 roster.

A 5th-Round pick last year, Joe had a strong enough training camp and preseason to make the team. When Dallas needed to make room for Robert Quinn to join the roster in Week 3, the Cowboys opted to cut former 1st-Round pick Taco Charlton rather than lose Jackson.

The numbers at defensive end last year didn’t afford him much playing time. Jackson only dressed for five games and played on just 6.6% of Dallas’ defensive snaps. But he still remained a solid developmental asset coming into his second season.

Then came the 2020 NFL Draft and the arrival of a new 5th-Round DE, Bradlee Anae. Seen as one of the biggest “steals” of the draft, plus the overall excitement of this strong rookie class, Anae’s joined the Cowboys with much more fanfare than Joe Jackson did...

https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-de-joe-jackson-is-underrated-contender-in-2020-roster-battle/

CCBoy

Reaction score
This is where the question mark rests...not, defensive line:

The Dallas Cowboys will open the 2020 regular season on a pretty difficult three-game stretch. They’ll face off against the Los Angeles Rams, Atlanta Falcons, and the Seattle Seahawks. This group posted a combined record of 27-21 last season.

The Cowboys will travel to play Los Angeles in Week One, debuting regular-season action at the new SoFi Stadium in Inglewood, California. Then they travel back home for a matchup against the Falcons. Finally, in Week Three, Dallas will head north to take on the Seahawks in Washington.

But if the Cowboys can survive that three-game start with a decent record, there’s a solid chance they could get an early leg up on their divisional foes. That’s due to a favorable slate of games they are set to play in the month of October.

Here’s what Nate Davis of USA Today wrote about the Cowboys after projecting America’s Team will post a 10-6 record in 2020, earning themselves another NFC East crown.

” … it definitely seems Dallas owns a talent gap on the rest of the division. That was also true last year, but Jerry Jones is counting on Mike McCarthy to do what Jason Garrett couldn’t. And an October schedule devoid of 2019 playoff teams presents a good opportunity for an early hot streak.”

https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/16/dallas-cowboys-october-key-season/