News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Crawford could move to that position and he is solid.. Like I said, most of you suffer from Garret syndrome.. Gregory or Smith will be back, and I'm sure these guys can more than hold down that position.. We also drafted Anea! I guess you don't think a rookie can contribute.. LOL

Bradlee's last name is ANAE.

And I am rooting hard for this kid but like Armstrong, Jackson and Jelks - not great speed.

4.8 to 4.9 40's are terrible for RDE which is supposed to be where the most explosive player on DL plays.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Good post! Tons of talent on the team.

we need to win this year! It doesn’t last.
10 5’s aren’t better than 6 8’s. Some somebodies are just bodies. Sign Warford for LG and I’m stoked. Until then, we have our starters on O-line then a bunch of jag’s and unknowns.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches
https://thelandryhat.com/2020/05/10/dallas-cowboys-unprecedented-depth-trenches/

https%3A%2F%2Fthelandryhat.com%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fgetty-images%2F2018%2F08%2F1182992560-850x560.jpeg

With the perfect mix of stars, veterans, and youth, both the offensive and defensive lines for the Dallas Cowboys are built for success.
The Dallas Cowboys may not have the second coming of the “Great Wall” along their offensive line as they did a few years ago. They may not have a surefire Hall of Fame “war daddy” coming after the opposing quarterback as they did a few years ago either.

That does not mean that the cupboard is bare on either side of the ball, however. In fact, heading into the 2020 NFL season, the Dallas Cowboys may arguably have the best depth within the trenches across the entire league...

...In total, the Dallas Cowboys have 21 guys on both sides of the ball who not only should make the 55-man roster but who could also all contribute at any point during the season. If this comes to fruition, almost 40 percent of the roster will be encompassed by offensive and defensive linemen. That type of talent and depth is unprecedented in Big D and gives both fans and the organization something to be excited about heading into the 2020 season.
How does unprecedented depth happen when your QB is taking 15% of the cap?

PJTHEDOORS

Reaction score

And I am rooting hard for this kid but like Armstrong, Jackson and Jelks - not great speed.

4.8 to 4.9 40's are terrible for RDE
which is supposed to be where the most explosive player on DL plays.

Don't think we need the DE's to run 40 yards though to get to the QB.

johneric8

Reaction score

4.8 to 4.9 40's are terrible for RDE which is supposed to be where the most explosive player on DL plays.

Okay, so by your analogy Charles Haley didn't have upside either because he was clocked at 4.8... Look man,
they have lots of options and not many teams has monsters on both sides.

I guess I'm just of the mindset that good coaching and smart situational game planning can make up for many shortcomings.
You do realize the cowboys won the superbowl with Tony Tolbert at LDE who also clocked in at around a 4.8 right?
This is what I've been trying stress, good coaching matters! Quit obsessing over the roster, we have less holes than most.

It's good that you have hope for "ANAE".. Thanks for the grammar lesson, I should be better about spelling in my car
at a red light...

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Our OL was better last year

Then we lost our 2nd and 3rd best DLmen from last year. Depth probably improved. Weird timing for this article though.

Unprecedented is a questionable way to word it. There have without a doubt been paat Cowboy's rosters with better depth, and there are other teams currently with better depth.
Interior D-line is the best it’s been in the past 20 years. Poe, McCoy, Woods, Gallimore.

quickccc

Reaction score
i definitely like what we have on our OL, i think i can live with a vet who has some tools, versatility and experience vs what we saw in the other Cam ( Fleming)
and most definitely in the interior with the two Conners Looney and Knight

- now for the DL , its' a wait and see with the starting RDE role, just as there is with Gregory and Alden in their bid to return to top form.

- Anea may be a promising player to develop but its getting adjusted to the NFL level.

- i think Armstrong is decent/serviceable but nothing more. jackson could be Crawford like as a nickel interior guy both in the 4-3 and nickel end in 3-4
but he is still a work in progress. Jelk was a complete IR so he's even further back.

- i'd like to believe that a full off season to further heal/strengthen the shoulder issue with Dlaw will have him returning to his previous form of 2017-2018 seasons.
i'm interested to see how Nolan lines and moves him around in our occasional 3-4 looks. i'd think he moves inside at end in the 3-4, much like Marinelli moved
him inside at DT in some nickel rushes in the 4-3.

- i do worry some about the depth at 1 tech DT role, should Poe get injured, . But if Woods earns his keep, he'll have to perform adequately in that backup role
Mike Fisher just had a odd report as Woods has not been heard from recently thus his tongue in cheek what ifs of Snack Harrison being Poe's backup ?
But this is more Fish's throwing paint on the wall to see if its possible to stick.
o_O

Sydla

Reaction score
Crawford could move to that position and he is solid.. Like I said, most of you suffer from Garret syndrome.. Gregory or Smith will be back, and I'm sure these guys can more than hold down that position.. We also drafted Anea! I guess you don't think a rookie can contribute.. LOL

One, history shows it’s unlikely a 5th round pick will have much of an impact as a rookie.

Two, Gregory and Smith are older and haven’t played in over a year for Gregory and 4 years for Smith. Not sure why you are so confident they will hit the field and be just like the players they were years ago.

Crawford is not a solid RDE. Stop.

Reactions: BAT

CowboysBravesSpurs

Reaction score
Ratliff, Canty, Spears blows it away, and it isn't close.

If your statement was true that'd a sad statement considering that's a very average group.
Ratliff, Canty, & Spears all peaked at different times. I’d take Poe over all of them. Gerald McCoy is no joke either. I’d actually take prime Poe & McCoy over all 3 of them.

CCBoy

Reaction score
How does unprecedented depth happen when your QB is taking 15% of the cap?
That's a trick question...right?

Top money wasn't offered out in free agency, beyond WR and their own free agent. But there was a higher level of player negotiations for a directed change in the defensive line...and still within cap. Type of tackles being signed, changed...and money was used there. So as such, unprecedented.

The cap space for QB has already been included...but if a new contract, room will grow in the first year.

But go ahead and act like the source of comment is stupid because it's yet another name the 'clown' jerk around for some here...maybe one should just use a convenient and insultive stereotype and show real class there.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I figured out what some of the poster's hang - up is, the OP used the term that both lines are built for success...and they just didn't know what that term meant!

They are too wrapped up in kicking the wife and kissing the dog...all locked up and everything.:muttley:

CCBoy

Reaction score
Now, directly to the punchline for the Cowboys. Yea, there is strong strength in the big ugglies for the allas Cowboys, but here is the real question...

Cowboys: Has Mike McCarthy truly evolved over his already-proven resumé?
The culture of football analytics initially took umbrage with McCarthy's talk of having somehow evolved to embrace it as a tool to improve upon his coaching prowess, and immediately aimed a skeptical eye at the claim. The Super Bowl-winning head coach was given just as much of an audible "hmph" when it was reported by CBS Sports, at the time of the hiring, that owner Jerry Jones would grant McCarthy a ton of power to sculpt the coaching staff, roster and the playbook going forward. Five months later, all but a minor portion of both factions have conceded to the glaring changes made -- including an analytics staff having been established in Dallas and the new-look approach to both free agency and the NFL draft.

...and although McCarthy mostly cleaned house in the coaching staff, replacing bodies with more proven ones, he opted to retain Kellen Moore as offensive coordinator on the heels of a Cowboys offensive about-face. All told, it appears the usually heavy handed and old school minded coach is looking to marry his hard-nosed approach with the youthful creativity designed to win in today's NFL. Currently stocked with an upgraded defense and an offense staged for furious lethality, if McCarthy's year off from football in 2019 has indeed been one of introspection and growth, then the Cowboys might finally do more than just turn the corner.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...es-and-a-snakebitten-qb-the-major-storylines/

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Okay, so by your analogy Charles Haley didn't have upside either because he was clocked at 4.8... Look man,
they have lots of options and not many teams has monsters on both sides.

I guess I'm just of the mindset that good coaching and smart situational game planning can make up for many shortcomings.
You do realize the cowboys won the superbowl with Tony Tolbert at LDE who also clocked in at around a 4.8 right?
This is what I've been trying stress, good coaching matters! Quit obsessing over the roster, we have less holes than most.

It's good that you have hope for "ANAE".. Thanks for the grammar lesson, I should be better about spelling in my car
at a red light...

Haley was a 2nd day pick for a reason. And Tolbert was originally a LB in college and Jimmy moved him to LDE.

His job was to stop run first.