News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

Verdict

Reaction score
He always comes in arrogant and with a burn barrel buddy slant...to a fault. Not really open to develop a discussion...but quickly to insult. He and few other agenda and emotion thinkers, can't handle being challenged.

That 'smart' guy was all indignant on no defensive end display on the defensive side...and I called him on issue. Right then and there, the defense would have to be adequate to go with 10 wins. He didn't have the guts to take the signature bet...an old way of proving a point, and remained both indignant and insultive.

Or do you need a cereal box decoder ring also?

He prefers to insult and ignore actual content, but couldn't stand real heat in the kitchen...normal.

He has a personality disorder concerning me...but that is his business. I attempt to first discuss.
I have a few Dez Fan Boi types on here who follow me around like lap dogs too. I feel ya bro.

Verdict

Reaction score
The team will go with what it sees on the field...

I think Armstrong is really the “floor” of this group. He is solid, if unspectacular. He will make a hand. So he provides some level of insurance in case the rest flame out.

CCBoy

Reaction score
...When free agency began, the Cowboys lost a number of key players. Byron Jones left for the Miami Dolphins as the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. Robert Quinn, who led the Cowboys in sacks in 2019 with 11.5, left for the Chicago Bears and a deal worth $14 million a season. Receiver Randall Cobb, who many assumed would be back to play for his former coach, Mike McCarthy, left for the Houston Texans and a deal worth $9 million a season. Add in the departures of tight end Jason Witten, defensive tackle Maliek Collins and safety Jeff Heath to the Las Vegas Raiders. Not long after, Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick retired, surprising many, though not everybody in the organization...

...They placed the exclusive franchise tag on Prescott at a cost of $31.4 million that precluded him from negotiating with other teams. At the least, the Cowboys have their quarterback for 2020 while they try to work out a long-term deal. If the tag is the beginning of a potential divorce, so be it, but not having Prescott for 2020 would have been devastating...

...The Cowboys also signed defensive end Aldon Smith. He has not played in a game since 2015 because of multiple suspensions and off-field issues, but he had a 19.5-sack season with new defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. The Cowboys are awaiting his reinstatement -- along with pass-rusher Randy Gregory -- and hope Smith can at least fill some of what Quinn did last season...

...They signed veteran defensive linemen Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe. They kept linebacker Sean Lee and cornerback Anthony Brown. They added Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at safety. They made depth moves at cornerback with Daryl Worley and Maurice Canady. Though they lost Witten at tight end, they signed Blake Jarwin to a $22 million extension and added Blake Bell in free agency...

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...he-cowboys-offseason-story-from-panic-to-hope

The team already had Gregory on contract, and added two strong CB's, a defensive tackle, and a defensive end via the draft...

A good blend and talent improved. No, two Pro Bowlers were lost...due to cap limitations with a glaring need for their QB. Quinn and Jones...and Cobb's loss left some voids.

Yet the draft solved the problem for manning the slot/outside...and I think a definite upturn with Lamb.

Over a year's time, the combination of Smith, Gregory, and Crawford will more than make up for 10 sacks lost.

The secondary has been upgraded, although there will be intense competition now...and that is a plus, actually. Contracts are no longer out of hand.

CCBoy

Reaction score
With the stability of the offensive line as well as singular depth strength, the addition of Cee Dee Lamb to the receiver group just took the 8th man out of the box. It will still be very difficult to slow down the Dallas passing game. With that added to a game by game basis, the defense will have more leniency to up front challenge an opponent's offense. Already pressed to keep up with both a strong passing and even stronger running game.

Aggressive on the defensive side has just been improved. That noted by the strengths of the two drafted cornerbacks as well. Turn over advantages probably will return as well. We'll see now...

ondaedg

Reaction score
Games are on won in the trenches. No reason the Cowboys can't field among the best on both sides of the ball this year. My biggest concern is the pass rush. There are guys who can get it done. They just need to perform. Nothing like watching unrelenting pressure on the QB to kill drives.

We've been asking the players to generate pass pressure on their own for the last 9+ years. Now it's the coaches turn to help.
:flagwave:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Doesn't look like Biadasz is even being given a chance to compete. Seems odd for the Rimington Award Winner as the best college center.
Rookie Tyler Biadasz and second-year man Brandon Knight could also provide the team with excellent depth along the line.​

According to a fan writer from 'the Landry Hat'. Consider the source.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d be happy if they brought in Griffen, I think we could always use help in the trenches

I'd love it if Griffen would be willing to play here for the $8 million the team would save by cutting Crawford. Give him 'Crawford's money'.

Sydla

Reaction score
...When free agency began, the Cowboys lost a number of key players. Byron Jones left for the Miami Dolphins as the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL. Robert Quinn, who led the Cowboys in sacks in 2019 with 11.5, left for the Chicago Bears and a deal worth $14 million a season. Receiver Randall Cobb, who many assumed would be back to play for his former coach, Mike McCarthy, left for the Houston Texans and a deal worth $9 million a season. Add in the departures of tight end Jason Witten, defensive tackle Maliek Collins and safety Jeff Heath to the Las Vegas Raiders. Not long after, Pro Bowl center Travis Frederick retired, surprising many, though not everybody in the organization...

...They placed the exclusive franchise tag on Prescott at a cost of $31.4 million that precluded him from negotiating with other teams. At the least, the Cowboys have their quarterback for 2020 while they try to work out a long-term deal. If the tag is the beginning of a potential divorce, so be it, but not having Prescott for 2020 would have been devastating...

...The Cowboys also signed defensive end Aldon Smith. He has not played in a game since 2015 because of multiple suspensions and off-field issues, but he had a 19.5-sack season with new defensive line coach Jim Tomsula. The Cowboys are awaiting his reinstatement -- along with pass-rusher Randy Gregory -- and hope Smith can at least fill some of what Quinn did last season...

...They signed veteran defensive linemen Gerald McCoy and Dontari Poe. They kept linebacker Sean Lee and cornerback Anthony Brown. They added Ha Ha Clinton-Dix at safety. They made depth moves at cornerback with Daryl Worley and Maurice Canady. Though they lost Witten at tight end, they signed Blake Jarwin to a $22 million extension and added Blake Bell in free agency...

https://www.espn.com/blog/dallas-co...he-cowboys-offseason-story-from-panic-to-hope

The team already had Gregory on contract, and added two strong CB's, a defensive tackle, and a defensive end via the draft...

A good blend and talent improved. No, two Pro Bowlers were lost...due to cap limitations with a glaring need for their QB. Quinn and Jones...and Cobb's loss left some voids.

Yet the draft solved the problem for manning the slot/outside...and I think a definite upturn with Lamb.

Over a year's time, the combination of Smith, Gregory, and Crawford will more than make up for 10 sacks lost.

The secondary has been upgraded, although there will be intense competition now...and that is a plus, actually. Contracts are no longer out of hand.

The problem is replacing Quinn’s sacks only gets you another mediocre pass rush.

Its 2018 WR by committee all over again.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a few Dez Fan Boi types on here who follow me around like lap dogs too. I feel ya bro.

Go back and look at his posts at the start of this thread. Where as is his pattern, he attacks anyone who disagrees with the premise of the article he posted, as if he wrote it.

See if you still 'feel him' then.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We've been asking the players to generate pass pressure on their own for the last 9+ years. Now it's the coaches turn to help.
:flagwave:

At the very least, they'll get more creativity in playcalling and scheme and not have to rely solely on stunts. But that's bad news for someone like Crawford because that's the only way he gets there.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The problem is replacing Quinn’s sacks only gets you another mediocre pass rush.

For some people, all they need is a name and the words 'signed by Cowboys' and that means everything is fine.

Jumbo075

Reaction score
Quite frankly, I think the notion that BOTH Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory will fail is a bit of a delusional point of view. Both were top 10 talents in their respective drafts, and BOTH have showed what they can do on the field. Do I believe either will be full speed on Day 1 of the season? No. But by mid-season, one, if not both, will work his way back into football condition, and muscle memory will take over. In 2018 Gregory had 6 sacks in his final 8 games. And reports on Aldon Smith are more than encouraging - even if he only ever returns as a rotational player. I'm not sold on Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks or Anae as Day 3 picks. But they do provide great competition as backup players. Finally, the Cowboys can start the year with the Boise State pair at each end. Crawford is not going to light up the stat sheet, but he will not get severely beaten either. And for my money, Lawrence is waaaaaaaaaaay overrated.

Between those 8 guys, and a couple of rookie free agents, I think the Cowboys have enough at DE to play competently. A scheme change with more blitzes from the Linebackers should help the pass rush also.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

Also
"These three guys will try to replace the production of the one player we lost in free agency" means we have gotten worse lmao

Guess CCcowboy didn't realize that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Quite frankly, I think the notion that BOTH Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory will fail is a bit of a delusional point of view. Both were top 10 talents in their respective drafts, and BOTH have showed what they can do on the field. Do I believe either will be full speed on Day 1 of the season? No. But by mid-season, one, if not both, will work his way back into football condition, and muscle memory will take over. In 2018 Gregory had 6 sacks in his final 8 games. And reports on Aldon Smith are more than encouraging - even if he only ever returns as a rotational player. I'm not sold on Armstrong, Jackson, Jelks or Anae as Day 3 picks. But they do provide great competition as backup players. Finally, the Cowboys can start the year with the Boise State pair at each end. Crawford is not going to light up the stat sheet, but he will not get severely beaten either. And for my money, Lawrence is waaaaaaaaaaay overrated.

Between those 8 guys, and a couple of rookie free agents, I think the Cowboys have enough at DE to play competently. A scheme change with more blitzes from the Linebackers should help the pass rush also.

I think you're on the nose with that last line. I think that a less predictable scheme with more creative blitzes is going to help everyone quite a bit.

Sydla

Reaction score

The odds are against Smith and Gregory, moreso Smith I would guess.

He's over 30. He hasn't played a NFL game since Nov 2015. The other side of your question is why are people so sure he's just going to eventually morph back close to what he was from like 2011 to 2013? If anything, the guy I would bet that could find his former groove would be Gregory, well before Smith.

Again, why not bring in a better veteran for year that solidifies the spot? You have the cap space and could create more by dumping or restructuring Crawford. The front office has had a nice offseason but they are nickle and diming and crossing their fingers that their bargain bin approach will solve an important position.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
The odds are against Smith and Gregory, moreso Smith I would guess.

He's over 30. He hasn't played a NFL game since Nov 2015. The other side of your question is why are people so sure he's just going to eventually morph back close to what he was from like 2011 to 2013? If anything, the guy I would bet that could find his former groove would be Gregory, well before Smith.

Again, why not bring in a better veteran for year that solidifies the spot? You have the cap space and could create more by dumping or restructuring Crawford. The front office has had a nice offseason but they are nickle and diming and crossing their fingers that their bargain bin approach will solve an important position.

Edge rusher is one of the most deep with remaining free agents:
Clowney, Griffen, Wake, Golden, Curry, Ansah

CCBoy

Reaction score
There's quite a bit he doesn't realize.
You go girl...and you haven't left the crap side of any kind of discussion. Make a valid comment and not just insult...or let's go. Stud