News: Dallas Cowboys have unprecedented depth in the trenches

Sydla

Reaction score
Edge rusher is one of the most deep with remaining free agents:
Clowney, Griffen, Wake, Golden, Curry, Ansah

Griffen makes so much sense. He won't be nearly as expensive as Clowney, even on a one year deal............... he can play the run and rush the passer, and although over 30 was still pretty damn good last year.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Here's an explanation.

You have one proven player in Lawrence. Here's the rest:

- Crawford is not a good DE. He's a DT trying to play DE and is likely better suited for LDE if he's a DE at all. We are going to try him at RDE it appears.

- Smith. Hasn't played football since Nov of 2015. People keep assuming he's going to somehow come in and just pick up where he left off.

- Gregory. Hasn't played football in over a year.

- Armstrong. Shown himself to be a decent backup player, which we can use. But that's it.

- Jelks/Jackson. Two practice squad guys that didn't show much last year.

- Anae. A 5th round rookie. Thinking he's going to come in and make an impact is probably optimistic. I like the pick but he should be viewed as a project and long term prospect.

That's DE. That's it. I know it hurts some of you guys to have to face reality but DE right now is not a strength. It's not deep. It's basically been put together with bandaids with the hope they will get lucky. It's kind of the same approach they used at WR in 2018 and that failed.

I think they should bring in Griffen, personally. He won't cost as much as Clowney, won't be overly expensive, probably would be a short term deal, and could slide into the RDE spot immediately.

I hear Kavika Pitman has been getting the “itch” to play again; he’s been putting a lot work in at the home gym.

We can check that box.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You go girl...and you haven't left the crap side of any kind of discussion. Make a valid comment and not just insult...or let's go. Stud

It's funny that you're not smart enough - or simply lack the self-awareness - to realize that what I've said is exactly true.

You post articles (thanks for that by the way), and then get pissy because people disagree with them. As I found you're the guy who wrote it. Clearly you're not. I've seen what you type, It's barely English. 'Burn barrel?' Nobody knows nor cares what that means.

And don't ever talk about anyone else making a 'valid comment' when you're incapable yourself and instead get told 'what to think' and jump in lockstep. That's your problem, not anyone else's.

Grow up and accept the fact that not everyone agrees with every part of the articles you post. You'd save yourself a lot of unnecessary timeouts.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Also
"These three guys will try to replace the production of the one player we lost in free agency" means we have gotten worse lmao

Guess CCcowboy didn't realize that.
No, assuming isn't the name of discussion...only in actually understanding. Two rotating will be stronger through a game, and if the quality is strong...no, the totals actually improve. That part is easy to understand. I think that if both Smith and Gregory start the season, they both will accrue 8 sacks apiece.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Griffen makes so much sense. He won't be nearly as expensive as Clowney, even on a one year deal............... he can play the run and rush the passer, and although over 30 was still pretty damn good last year.

I watched him give Tyron Smith in our most recent game against the Vikings while their defensive line overall dominated the Cowboys.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It's funny that you're not smart enough - or simply lack the self-awareness - to realize that what I've said is exactly true.

You post articles (thanks for that by the way), and then get pissy because people disagree with them. As I found you're the guy who wrote it. Clearly you're not. I've seen what you type, It's barely English. 'Burn barrel?' Nobody knows nor cares what that means.

And don't ever talk about anyone else making a 'valid comment' when you're incapable yourself and instead get told 'what to think' and jump in lockstep. That's your problem, not anyone else's.

Grow up and accept the fact that not everyone agrees with every part of the articles you post. You'd save yourself a lot of unnecessary timeouts.
No one asked you to...but you always assume a negative slant. I don't have the either or agenda that you start to insult from.

Up front, the COWBOYS don't agree with you at all...so would I then trust? Not you stud.

Too much of a coward to take the signature bet, huh? Good night Pinocchio....I like what has been assembled in the defensive line. Want to put together a signature bet on production from that group specificly?

As to imput from scouts, they certainly don't agree with what you presented. Ever listen to Sirius...try channel 88.

As to the Landry Hat, you are such a cutie to always insult an article presented from them. I don't agree with all they say, but there are quite a few observations that they work up, that simply are enlightening and not a pompous stance.

I'll gladly listen to them, even going to Sirius, before taking a pessimistic flame flower's tossing of crap.

But get real and discuss...what exactly is the limiting aspect that without debate, dooms this defensive line. The guys, and the OP, was target on...the big ugglies are definitely getting stronger and with more workable depth. You can't disagree there. You'll be in a minority in all sites or media sources, for the record. Prove other wise, and quit just tossing crap back...I am disagreeing with YOU.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I watched him give Tyron Smith in our most recent game against the Vikings while their defensive line overall dominated the Cowboys.
Explain just how this 'dominance' was shown...beyond a casual remark. C'mon now, talk your way out with actual examples and stats..

Big_D

Reaction score
This aptly describes the Cowboys approach at DE this offseason.

Why not? it’s been their approach at DT for a decade plus! Everyone all worried about replacing Quinn. lol they were an 8-8 football team and the D was terrible as usual. Then you consider Jerry’s approach at DE. His never ending, over spending mission to find a ‘war daddy’ while completely ignoring DT. That’s worked out well. Just funny that fans expect every hole to be filled 3 months into McCarthys tenure! Meanwhile the previous team underachieved regularly!

CCBoy

Reaction score

You administer those you do? You put me on timeout then...or just shut the crap down and actually discuss and respond what is presented in disagreement, beyond your usual insults.

Who's going to start at center then? Pick up some of the work as well...beyond agenda and personal insult...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why not? it’s been their approach at DT for a decade plus! Everyone all worried about replacing Quinn. lol they were an 8-8 football team and the D was terrible as usual. Then you consider Jerry’s approach at DE. His never ending, over spending mission to find a ‘war daddy’ while completely ignoring DT. That’s worked out well. Just funny that fans expect every hole to be filled 3 months into McCarthys tenure! Meanwhile the previous team underachieved regularly!
Valid point here...

CCBoy

Reaction score
We've been asking the players to generate pass pressure on their own for the last 9+ years. Now it's the coaches turn to help.
:flagwave:
What year was it that DeMarcus Ware had his 20 sacks?

CCBoy

Reaction score
According to a fan writer from 'the Landry Hat'. Consider the source.
Actually much of the media projects the new center to take some time to adjust...not just your whipping boy, The Landry Hat.

ondaedg

Reaction score
What year was it that DeMarcus Ware had his 20 sacks?

20 in 2008 and he had 19.5 in 2011. DWare though is what I would call an exception and not the rule. We were blessed to have him for sure and he could "beat his man" on a regular basis.

Sydla

Reaction score

When you have the opportunity to fill a hole, why not take it? This notion that you can't fill every hole is just preposterous. When an opportunity is there and you have the cap space to do it, saying, well, you can't fill every hole is kind of silly.

Sydla

Reaction score
Explain just how this 'dominance' was shown...beyond a casual remark. C'mon now, talk your way out with actual examples and stats..

Griffen had 4 QB hits that game, credited with .5 sack, 1.5 TFL.

He gave Smith all he could handle that game.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one asked you to...but you always assume a negative slant. I don't have the either or agenda that you start to insult from.

Up front, the COWBOYS don't agree with you at all...so would I then trust? Not you stud.

Too much of a coward to take the signature bet, huh? Good night Pinocchio....I like what has been assembled in the defensive line. Want to put together a signature bet on production from that group specificly?

Let's see:
  1. "stud"
  2. "coward"
  3. Pinocchio
And yet you'll actually try to project "insult" on the other party. Like I said, a total lack of self awareness. You continue to prove me right at every turn.

As to imput from scouts, they certainly don't agree with what you presented. Ever listen to Sirius...try channel 88.

Sure, have your radio 'tell you what to think' as well, saves your brain the effort.

As to the Landry Hat, you are such a cutie to always insult an article presented from them. I don't agree with all they say, but there are quite a few observations that they work up, that simply are enlightening and not a pompous stance.

I'll gladly listen to them, even going to Sirius, before taking a pessimistic flame flower's tossing of crap.

Because that's what any criticism is to you and your small mind. Some sort of an attack. That's all your limited scope is capable of seeing.

But get real and discuss...what exactly is the limiting aspect that without debate, dooms this defensive line. The guys, and the OP, was target on...the big ugglies are definitely getting stronger and with more workable depth. You can't disagree there. You'll be in a minority in all sites or media sources, for the record. Prove other wise, and quit just tossing crap back...I am disagreeing with YOU.

I have 'discussed', as have many others. You're simply too blinded to see it and would rather waste everyone's time on yet another tantrum. Show some self awareness and your own faults for how this conversation got here. And how you're the guy in fact doing the 'insulting'.

CCBoy

Reaction score
20 in 2008 and he had 19.5 in 2011. DWare though is what I would call an exception and not the rule. We were blessed to have him for sure and he could "beat his man" on a regular basis.
He was picked by Parcells when he had two first round picks...lol

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Here's an explanation.

You have one proven player in Lawrence. Here's the rest:

- Crawford is not a good DE. He's a DT trying to play DE and is likely better suited for LDE if he's a DE at all. We are going to try him at RDE it appears.

- Smith. Hasn't played football since Nov of 2015. People keep assuming he's going to somehow come in and just pick up where he left off.

- Gregory. Hasn't played football in over a year.

- Armstrong. Shown himself to be a decent backup player, which we can use. But that's it.

- Jelks/Jackson. Two practice squad guys that didn't show much last year.

- Anae. A 5th round rookie. Thinking he's going to come in and make an impact is probably optimistic. I like the pick but he should be viewed as a project and long term prospect.

That's DE. That's it. I know it hurts some of you guys to have to face reality but DE right now is not a strength. It's not deep. It's basically been put together with bandaids with the hope they will get lucky. It's kind of the same approach they used at WR in 2018 and that failed.

I think they should bring in Griffen, personally. He won't cost as much as Clowney, won't be overly expensive, probably would be a short term deal, and could slide into the RDE spot immediately.

Ok, you addressed on position on the DLine, what about the rest?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You administer those you do? You put me on timeout then...or just shut the crap down and actually discuss and respond what is presented in disagreement, beyond your usual insults.

Who's going to start at center then? Pick up some of the work as well...beyond agenda and personal insult...

Again, call everyone else names and then talk about their 'personal insult'.

Go stand in front of a reflective surface until you figure it out. Take as much time as you need.