Dallas Cowboys: Is it Time to Rebuild the Offensive Line?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Heck no why spend more on the O-line, anyone can run behind this offensive line. They were ONCE so good that a 4'th round QB could win behind them and become ROTY and a rookie RB could set records.

Until the line faltered, LT not playing up to his lofty standards, overrated RT continues to be underwhelming, undersized rookie LG thrown out there and bull dozed and C with GB syndrome then what does your 4'th round QB look like, a 4'th round QB. That really leaves one member of that O-line that ONCE was great, Zach Martin.

Draft more o-linemen? Yes,but not high, that should be reserved for a QB (possibly) who can play behind a still good, not great, O-line. A pass catching TE might be nice too and possibly a WR once we eliminate some of the 7 space heaters in the off season. Can you say offensive draft.

I remember not along ago a few fans going on about defenses winning games blah blah blah and offenses winning in the regular seasons but defenses winning in the playoffs blah blah blah. If this offense doesn't shape up and win during the season the investment on defense is wasted and we've invested higher on defense in the past three drafts than offense.

bodi

Reaction score
Does this guy know what he's doing?

HZmZJ8J.png

NOPE 23 YEARS AS BENGALS COACH YEAH A REAL WINNER - AND WHO DID BENGALS HIRE POLLACK

ITS TIME TO GIVE COLOBOMO A SHOT

phildadon86

Reaction score
I haven't seen this weeks all 22 but the first 2 weeks he looked fine physically but he kept making mental mistakes. Like he doesn't know who to block.

LA'el too.

I think the Tyron is done theory is a bit ridiculous right now.
New OL coach.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fredbeard should be ok and back playing before the season is up.
Martin is more than ok
The rook will struggle this year with power rushers but should gain strength this off season
L. Collins will be ok

Of all the linemen T. Smith is the only worry for me due to back problems. Once you start getting them, they are hard to get rid of especially with that position.

Time to remaked the oline...NO.

Time to consider drafting a good LT to be a good backup short term but viable to replace T.Smith long term....Yes

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Missed 3 games BOTH of the last two seasons to back injuries and not looking like himself again this year.

He isn't done but there is cause for concern.

This forum has done an awful job evaluating the Oline so far.

We've been told Connor Williams is horrible and can't play but watching the All 22 from the first 2 weeks he's made about 4 bad plays and the rest of the time he's done his job.

Tyron has looked really bad at times the first 2 weeks but none of it was from a physical standpoint.

I'll watch week 3 when I get a chance but Cowboyszone has done more speculating on the Oline then looking at whats actually going on.

lukin2006

Reaction score
Before this team does anything they need to find competent coaches.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
All of the we need a QB stuff is cute but it adds no value to the discussion.

Is it time to find a new LT?
If Connor is struggling at LG (he is...) and we know his future is at RT, why not move him over there now and move La'el to LG?

ksg811

Reaction score
I think Fredbeard (hopefully) returning will be a huge boost to the line and offense as a whole. He's the captain of that line and makes the calls. Dak hasn't developed the mental aspect of his game to where it needs to be. If you re-watch Sunday's Seattle game, they were jumping the snap on nearly every play. That's on Dak and the coaching staff on not making adjustments with the cadence.

That's what really Makes Frederick so great. Not only is he a master technician, but his football IQ is off the charts. If he's on the field Sunday, I have no doubt after the first few plays, he would have noticed Frank Clark and the rest of the line jumping the snap and made adjustments. He would have taken the initiative to talk to Dak, Alexander, and Linehan about trying to keep them honest with a hard count, changing to a silent count, or a general cadence change to keep the D-line off balance.

LetsBeReal

Reaction score
Before this team does anything they need to find competent coaches.

That’s fine. Fire them too, they are firing themselves if they don’t put in a new qb. Bring in any coach you want to, still gonna have loaded boxes and a sorry *** qb.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I think Fredbeard (hopefully) returning will be a huge boost to the line and offense as a whole. He's the captain of that line and makes the calls. Dak hasn't developed the mental aspect of his game to where it needs to be. If you re-watch Sunday's Seattle game, they were jumping the snap on nearly every play. That's on Dak and the coaching staff on not making adjustments with the cadence.

That's what really Makes Frederick so great. Not only is he a master technician, but his football IQ is off the charts. If he's on the field Sunday, I have no doubt after the first few plays, he would have noticed Frank Clark and the rest of the line jumping the snap and made adjustments. He would have taken the initiative to talk to Dak, Alexander, and Linehan about trying to keep them honest with a hard count, changing to a silent count, or a general cadence change to keep the D-line off balance.
Yeah... We really miss that guy. It's truly amazing just how much. Nothing against Looney,, He's doing well. But he pales in comparison to Fredbeard.

Jimbo69

Reaction score
All of the we need a QB stuff is cute but it adds no value to the discussion.

Is it time to find a new LT?
If Connor is struggling at LG (he is...) and we know his future is at RT, why not move him over there now and move La'el to LG?

No, we have already used a considerable amount of high picks on the OL. The OL is even though not at 2016 levels still a good unit. I am sorry but when discussing where to use our future resources the weakest position in need of replacement becomes part of the discussion. That position is QB which is the most important ( and expensive) position to fill.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
No, we have already used a considerable amount of high picks on the OL. The OL is even though not at 2016 levels still a good unit.
I disagree. They're not playing as a "good" unit right now.

Rayman70

Reaction score
no. We need to move Williams to RT and Collins to LG. No rebuild needed.

blumayne38

Reaction score
by Scott Sauer 2 days ago Follow @realScottSauer

Turn back the clock five years, the Dallas Cowboys are coming off their third consecutive 8-8 season and after losing their third consecutive winner-take-all Week 17 game. Approaching the 2014 draft, the hype is surrounding Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel.

Jerry Jones wishes for him to be the heir to Tony Romo. Dallas’ selection eventually comes around and with the 16th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Cowboys select Zack Martin. For the first time, Jerry Jones doesn’t get what he wants, but what he needs.

This selection marks the beginning of a new era in Dallas. The focus has turned to building the offensive line to protect Romo from injury as he got older and to take the pressure off of him by running the ball.

The strategy worked as the Cowboys rode their new Great Wall of Dallas to the Divisional round of the playoffs twice in the past 4 years. Tony Romo and Dak Prescott have had all the time in the world to drop back in the pocket and look for an open receiver.

This offensive line led the way as DeMarco Murray led the league in rushing in 2014 and Ezekiel Elliott in 2016. In both 2014 and 2016, Dallas finished second in the league in rushing yards per game with 147.1 and 149.8 respectively.

Now back here in 2018, the vaunted Great Wall of Dallas is beginning to crumble. Injuries and age are starting to take their toll. Just about each part of the offensive line has a problem it’s dealing with. The Cowboys spend more of their money on the Offensive Line than any other team in the NFL.

Highlight: Injuries have plagued Tyron Smith for the past couple of seasons.

Highlight: The absence of Travis Frederick is evident.

Highlight: There has been a lack of stability at Left Guard and Right Tackle.

Follow the link for the rest.
https://sportdfw.com/2018/09/22/dallas-cowboys-rebuild-offensive-line/
No