Dallas Cowboys: Is it Time to Rebuild the Offensive Line?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
We can find out if it's the LG, move him to RT and Collins to LG. We can find out if it's the QB. Throw White/Rush in. It could be the O-line coach. Fire him and replace him with Columbo.

200.gif

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
We can find out if it's the LG, move him to RT and Collins to LG. We can find out if it's the QB. Throw White/Rush in. It could be the O-line coach. Fire him and replace him with Columbo.

200.gif
Oline first and see how that goes. Simple and not panicky...

CPanther95

Reaction score
Chaz Green really hurt them in terms of confidence in finding quality in the middle rounds. But I trust Steven and Willie. They do draft well.

They draft well as long as they are selecting OL in the first round. Same as 31 other teams.

blumayne38

Reaction score
Teams do it..

Not a lot of top tier WR's winning championships.

It usually a bunch of 2's and 3's with great coaching and QB play.

We have coaching littered with tendencies and a QB that is struggling. That's our problem.
Sounds like you have “tunnel vision” also :facepalm: sarcasm

grasshopper

Reaction score
I haven't seen this weeks all 22 but the first 2 weeks he looked fine physically but he kept making mental mistakes. Like he doesn't know who to block.

LA'el too.

I think the Tyron is done theory is a bit ridiculous right now.
I hate to say it, because I was against it during the offseason but, LAel should be moved to guard where he is a beast physically and Conner to tackle where he can best utilize his athleticism and quick feet. Not now, but during the next offseason.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I hate to say it, because I was against it during the offseason but, LAel should be moved to guard where he is a beast physically and Conner to tackle where he can best utilize his athleticism and quick feet. Not now, but during the next offseason.
Why not during the bye week?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams do it..

Not a lot of top tier WR's winning championships.

It usually a bunch of 2's and 3's with great coaching and QB play.

We have coaching littered with tendencies and a QB that is struggling. That's our problem.
Dak needs weapons, he needs receivers that can get open.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
I think you'll find a mix in week 3's all 22.

Some guys were open and missed. - (Dak)
Dak was under duress regularly from that left side (blind side) - (Oline)
The play calling was trash - (Linehan)

I still believe a bye week swap of Williams and Collins would be a significant morale booster.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Yes. It's all the QB. The Oline is playing lights out. :rolleyes: Oh.. & the OC is the best we've ever had. :rolleyes: oh.. & our QB coach is an incredible mentor. :rolleyes:

Coming from a guy who seems to think the biggest problems the Cowboys have are the OL and the fact ET is still in Seattle. :muttley:

It's not just the QB, but he's part of the equation whether you want to believe it or not. Toss in clueless coaches and bargain-basement receivers and you get 41 points in three games.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Coming from a guy who seems to think the biggest problems the Cowboys have are the OL and the fact ET is still in Seattle. :muttley:

It's not just the QB, but he's part of the equation whether you want to believe it or not. Toss in clueless coaches and bargain-basement receivers and you get 41 points in three games.
He's not where to start in terms of making changes. But you're still not getting it. I'm not surprised. My educated hunch... You're yet another jilted Romo lover.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Oline first and see how that goes. Simple and not panicky...

at the mid point of the season it's time to panic if we're 3-5 or less. At 4-4 same old same old and nothing gets done. I don't mind tweaks like trying Williams at RT and Collins at LG but Williams has been practicing and playing LG in the NFL all summer and if he's undersized and not strong enough at LG I can't see him being any stronger at RT. Maybe he has better technique there IDK. Moving La'ell to LG (I always liked him better there) would strengthen our left side but do we then weaken the right side. For that matter maybe it's time to try Su'a fila and leave La'ell at RT. I hate in season tinkering with the O-line unless we have an injury (god forbid)

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Let's think about the offensive line.

Tyron Smith - Career is coming to an end at left tackle.
Connor Williams - Just getting started at left guard.
Travis Frederick - Have no idea when he will play again, if he will play again, or how well he will play.
Zach Martin - Just re-signed to massive contract.
La'El Collins - Will want to get paid more than he is worth.

You really only have 1.5 pieces in place. As I said in the offseason, though it is likely to late you wanted to move Smith for picks. Likely the best bet is to put him at RT. I would have moved Collins back to guard and paid him like a guard. Don't think you're going to see Williams as your left tackle, so you probably still need to invest in a left tackle and probably a center at least as an insurance policy against Frederick and for depth.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
by Scott Sauer 2 days ago Follow @realScottSauer

Turn back the clock five years, the Dallas Cowboys are coming off their third consecutive 8-8 season and after losing their third consecutive winner-take-all Week 17 game. Approaching the 2014 draft, the hype is surrounding Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel.

Jerry Jones wishes for him to be the heir to Tony Romo. Dallas’ selection eventually comes around and with the 16th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the Cowboys select Zack Martin. For the first time, Jerry Jones doesn’t get what he wants, but what he needs.

This selection marks the beginning of a new era in Dallas. The focus has turned to building the offensive line to protect Romo from injury as he got older and to take the pressure off of him by running the ball.

The strategy worked as the Cowboys rode their new Great Wall of Dallas to the Divisional round of the playoffs twice in the past 4 years. Tony Romo and Dak Prescott have had all the time in the world to drop back in the pocket and look for an open receiver.

This offensive line led the way as DeMarco Murray led the league in rushing in 2014 and Ezekiel Elliott in 2016. In both 2014 and 2016, Dallas finished second in the league in rushing yards per game with 147.1 and 149.8 respectively.

Now back here in 2018, the vaunted Great Wall of Dallas is beginning to crumble. Injuries and age are starting to take their toll. Just about each part of the offensive line has a problem it’s dealing with. The Cowboys spend more of their money on the Offensive Line than any other team in the NFL.

Highlight: Injuries have plagued Tyron Smith for the past couple of seasons.

Highlight: The absence of Travis Frederick is evident.

Highlight: There has been a lack of stability at Left Guard and Right Tackle.

Follow the link for the rest.
https://sportdfw.com/2018/09/22/dallas-cowboys-rebuild-offensive-line/
Just need a new OLC and OC

bayeslife

187beatdown
Reaction score
We new tackles, that much is certain. The interior offensive line will be good for years to come though.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Let's think about the offensive line.

Tyron Smith - Career is coming to an end at left tackle.
Connor Williams - Just getting started at left guard.
Travis Frederick - Have no idea when he will play again, if he will play again, or how well he will play.
Zach Martin - Just re-signed to massive contract.
La'El Collins - Will want to get paid more than he is worth.

You really only have 1.5 pieces in place. As I said in the offseason, though it is likely to late you wanted to move Smith for picks. Likely the best bet is to put him at RT. I would have moved Collins back to guard and paid him like a guard. Don't think you're going to see Williams as your left tackle, so you probably still need to invest in a left tackle and probably a center at least as an insurance policy against Frederick and for depth.
Great plan. What are your thoughts on my suggestion of the swap during the bye week? Crazy? Logical?

northerncowboynation

Reaction score

There are too many parts to the equation to change until the off season. I was a big Dak believer until the last 8 games of last year and the first 3 this year. I blamed Zeke being out and Tyron for 4-4 in his last 8 games last year. My bad. 1-2 this year and 14 points/game says that Zeke being suspended and Tyron being injured were not the cause. This year I could say Connor Williams or Looney and yes they are factors, 11 sacks in 3 games are factors. OLC is an easy finger point because that's 1 coach and the rest is great except the rest isn't close to great. Dak either improves over the next 13 game or we move on. Changing this and changing that and hoping that Dak can be 2016 Dak is blind hope. Anything less than 9-7 and I hope we have a complete make over on offense except the oline and Zeke. What I hope most is that JJ and SJ see the same thing. Willing to let the season play out but my expectation for Dak have dropped big time

Last edited:

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
No need to start over. But we should draft a left tackle to groom. Looney is not that bad, williams is young and should improve, Collins should continue to grow, Martin is still Martin.

joshjwp

Reaction score
I think the main problem, (other than missing possibly the best center in the league) is that there is no fear of the passing game. If there was a legit QB, WR1, and TE, teams wouldn't be able to put 8 and 9 in the box and pin their ears back.