News: Dallas Cowboys Jason Garrett Is Becoming The Coach Cowboys Fans Always Wanted

CCBoy

Reaction score
Dallas Cowboys Jason Garrett Is Becoming The Coach Cowboys Fans Always Wanted
http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2016...becoming-the-coach-cowboys-fans-always-wanted

At 6-1, heading into a game with the 0-8 Cleveland Browns, atop the NFC East, sporting the best record in the NFC; there just isn’t a better place to be right now for the Dallas Cowboys. It’s been a valiant effort by a resilient bunch who have done all of this with virtually a no-name defense and without Tony Romo and partially without Dez Bryant. A lot of credit must be given to the players, of course, most importantly their offensive line, but what about the coaches? In particular, how about the job that Jason Garrett has done thus far, huh? Pretty impressive for a guy that is annually thrust onto the imaginary "hot-seat" that certain media outlets would like you to think exists.

Following a 12-4 season, a playoff win, and falling just short of an NFC Championship appearance in 2014, Garrett’s Cowboys fell to 4-12 last season after their aforementioned two biggest stars were injured in weeks one and two. So, how are the Cowboys doing so well this season without those two guys at the helm? Well, you can argue that Ezekiel Elliott and Dak Prescott are far better than any quarterback-running back combination of last year. However, you would be remiss to not mention that the coaching has been phenomenal as of late.

At this time last year, the "hot seat" meme was getting heavy play concerning Garrett, and there was a good bit of consternation by some when Jerry Jones retained not only Garrett but almost his entire staff. Now there is a different tune being sung about Garrett. He is being mentioned as a Coach of the Year candidate...

CCBoy

Reaction score
Now, we are able to throw into discussion, such perspectives as:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2...s-weaknesses-rushing-effectiveness-more-notes

...I don’t believe the coaching staff would admit this in public, but having Cody Kessler start over Josh McCown is a great situation for the defense. With Corey Coleman back in the lineup, I worried about McCown taking advantage of him down the field against a banged up Cowboys secondary. I don’t see Kessler taking those kinds of shots with Coleman or Terrelle Pryor. Kessler starting plays right into the Cowboys’ hands with their approach of rallying to the ball and making tackles on the spot.

• Something to keep an eye on for the Browns defensively is outside linebacker Carl Nassib. Last week against the New York Jets, Nassib knocked three of Ryan Fitzpatrick’s passes down at the line of scrimmage. For the season, Nassib has four tipped passes to go along with 1.5 sacks. With the way the Cowboys like to work the ball in the middle of the field and to the outside on swings and screens, Nassib’s length and ability could affect how successful those attempts are executed.
  • No team in the NFL has rushed the ball more on first down than the Dallas Cowboys. As a matter of fact, on 62 percent of those snaps they are handing the ball to Ezekiel Elliott or Alfred Morris. In 115 rushing plays on first down, they’ve averaged an impressive 5.4 yards per carry. Only the Dolphins, Bears and Browns have averaged more yards running the ball in those situations.
  • Defensively, the Cowboys have only allowed one touchdown run or pass of 20-plus yards. On the flip side, the Browns have allowed 10 -- which is the worst in the league. To make matters worse, opponents have had 41 plays covering 20-plus yards against the Browns through eight games this season.
  • Cleveland Browns receiver Corey Coleman was rated as the second-best wide receiver on the Cowboys’ 2016 draft board. Only the Washington Commanders’ Josh Doctson was rated higher. The Cowboys had both Doctson and Coleman in the second round.
  • The Browns can play with any opponent offensively in the first half, but defensively that’s not the case. They have been outscored 115-51 in the second half of their games. The third quarter has been especially poor -- where opponents have scored 61 points. Through eight games, the Browns have given up 19 touchdowns through the air and 29 total -- which is awful...

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
He's has done a great job this year besides the 1st game.. He has been mixing it up and having balls. He coaches like he did the last 3 or so years and Dallas has at least 3 losses by now.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Funny how winning can change peoples opinions about players and coaches

Why is that funny? That's literally the job of a head coach, it's no surprise that if a coach is doing his job well, perceptions change.

Personally, my opinion on Garrett hasn't changed much. It took a long time for us to realize that he needed to be surrounded by tons of experience due to his lack of experience. At this point, all he really does on the sidelines is call timeouts and decide if we should go for it on 4th down.

His only real job is to deliver a consistent message to the team and the media, and he's been very good at that from Day 1, but I don't think he's an X's and O's coach at all.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Why is that funny? That's literally the job of a head coach, it's no surprise that if a coach is doing his job well, perceptions change.

Personally, my opinion on Garrett hasn't changed much. It took a long time for us to realize that he needed to be surrounded by tons of experience due to his lack of experience. At this point, all he really does on the sidelines is call timeouts and decide if we should go for it on 4th down.

His only real job is to deliver a consistent message to the team and the media, and he's been very good at that from Day 1, but I don't think he's an X's and O's coach at all.

Leadership is where one takes his team. He took it from bankrupt, to a top shelf offense and a scrappy defense at present...but as is implied in the OP, they are winning, and again at a top shelf manner.

Zman5

Reaction score
Yeh he did a good job last week and has done better this year but I guess people already forgot about last year. What he did last week is what he should have done more last year.

All the tricks he pulled out against the EaGirls should have been used last year when we needed to go for broke due to the poor QB play.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Yeh he did a good job last week and has done better this year but I guess people already forgot about last year. What he did last week is what he should have done more last year.

All the tricks he pulled out against the EaGirls should have been used last year when we needed to go for broke due to the poor QB play.

Rob Peter to pay Paul? The draft position made the Cowboys' draft into a great one...and resulted in what is going on now and into next season.

rynochop

Reaction score

But it's his fault when we are losing right? So predictable

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Winning defines a coach. After last year I had my doubts. But the call in last week's game, is undeniably beach balls.

BHendri5

Reaction score
I have said from the start that he was going to be a great HC. When they brought him back from Miami and thought about making him the HC, before Stephen talked Jerry into hiring someone for him to learn from, in which they brought in Wade, I thought they should have given the job to Garrett then, I felt they wasted time with Wade.

Tommy

Reaction score

Really? I never knew the head coach position in the NFL was so unimportant.

Thanks for the insight.

BHendri5

Reaction score

LOL, spoken like someone that has no clue not one bit. Your HC is like the CEO of a company. HC does much more than you know and after reading what you said a whole lot more than what you know. but a HC is only as good as his staff, because his staff takes his vision and helps him convey that to his players and if that is not successful then the team will not be successful.
You need to learn about coaching period

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
He is basically an 8-8 coach, CEO or whatever. He deserves praise for the season so far but this team hasn't done anything yet. These assumptions the division is ours, that the draft is the best in some time or that Elliott is emmitt or whatever are good convo but not reality. This team is one ugly Cleveland loss away from it being anybody's division and another Garrett sucks thread.

I hope they beat Cleveland. Every time I have seen a Garrett team feeling itself they have become the 8-8s again. If Garrett has grown into the coach the article suggests, then his team will be all business Sunday and beyond.

cml750

Reaction score
Garrett has done a good job this year but it does not erase all of the mistakes he has made in the past. Some of us started to drink the kool-aide after 2014 only to be slapped back into reality last year. I know I will not make the same mistake again. If Garrett can show consistent success I may jump on the bandwagon but for now I will continue to hope for the best and expect the worst. None of this changes the fact that a coach who needed so much OJT was not the right man for the job originally when we were one year removed from the playoffs and already had the hardest piece to find with our franchise QB, Romo. Future success will bode well for Garrett but will never completely dismiss his numerous screw-ups while he was learning on the job for so many years.