News: Dallas Cowboys Jason Garrett Is Becoming The Coach Cowboys Fans Always Wanted

CWR

Reaction score
Ive always supported Garret when we are winning. Terrance Williams and Mo too. Lol

Seriously though I like alot of what Garret does and he had put his stamp on this team. He gets ridiculed for rkg but I dont think its ever been all encompassing. Most of our team is top notch hard working solid guys and they are fun to root for. Coaching continuancy does actually mean something in this what have you done lately league.

CWR

Reaction score
He's still not the coach I always wanted. He lucked out a 4th round pick became a starter and is playing like a 1st round pick to save his season and potentially his job.

Hes got 9 lives and always seems to catch a break when he desperately needs one. This guy has had more make or break seasons than Jeff Fisher lol

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I didn't say "All head coaches do is call timeouts and make calls on 4th downs", I said that's what Garrett does, and it was also more hyperbole than fact. I, like you, do not have access to the Cowboys sidelines during games to listen to every word coming out of Jason's mouth.

My point is that Garrett has been learning on our dime because he came in with barely any experience. As a result, we've insulated him with guys far more experienced than he is who have taken on the majority of the X's and O's workload.

I don't always agree with the guy but that is normal. IDK why you say the guy doesn't know Xs and Os when he's learned to play QB under some very smart guys. Just think of whom JG has worked with. If you think he didn't come away with a vast amount of knowledge then.....well I can't say.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't disagree with that. But why is hiring experienced guys a strike against him?

I know it's college ball, but Nick Saban has something like 6 guys on his staff with some HC experience. Jim Harbaugh has assistants with 80+ years of NFL coaching experience. Should their accomplishments be downgraded because of that?

I don't think so.

It's not a strike, it's a necessaity because Garrett doesn't have the experience or background of an X's and O's coach.

Not all coaches have to coach the same, but to win, you need guys that get the X's and O's. We've brought in experienced guys that call the shots on offense, defense, scouting, pro scouting, etc. to make up for Garrett's lack of experience and it's allowed him to focus on what he's actually good at - setting direction and managing ownership and media, which isn't easy in Dallas.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I don't always agree with the guy but that is normal. IDK why you say the guy doesn't know Xs and Os when he's learned to play QB under some very smart guys. Just think of whom JG has worked with. If you think he didn't come away with a vast amount of knowledge then.....well I can't say.

I agree that having been a backup in the NFL for so long counts for something, but it's not the same as being accountable for the things a head coach is accountable for.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you haven't been satisfied with what Garrett's brought to Dallas, then for the most part you probably had expectations which were too high for some fairly mediocre teams.

It's taken more time than we'd have liked, but he's systematically improved the scouting and coaching staffs and rebuilt the roster. All while keeping the team competitive most of the time. The lone season he did not had legitimate extenuating circumstances.

I know it's hard to backtrack on an entrenched take, but it's time to at least considering that perhaps a lot of you were wrong on this one.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You know, in Service, we stuck to no man left behind...and to Garrett's leadership, most of his players take team at that same level of commitment.

followthestar

Reaction score
I can't help but think that when the Eagles hit that little pooch punt, playing it safe, Garrett looked across the field and saw the lame leadership that he himself embodied for years and years. Playing to not lose will lose you a lot of games. Garrett decided to change his tune, and by winning he may have learned a very important lesson. I don't think he learned it last year - he learned it last week. I'll believe he is a good coach when we make it to the playoffs for several years in a row, as we should. Till then I'll remember all the times he didn't stay with the run, froze his own kicker, mismanaged the clock, etc etc. If we had promoted Sean Payton to HC when we could have, we'd have a couple more rings by now, IMO.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
Garrett still needs to demonstrate the ability to field teams that can make the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Winning a Super Bowl isn't a one year proposition (normally). It's an eight year proposition. The more you make the playoffs, the more likely you are to break through in one of those years.

Coaches aren't judged by single wins and losses. They're judged in the aggregate, meaning their job is to win string wins together. Garrett is doing that now.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Garrett still needs to demonstrate the ability to field teams that can make the playoffs in consecutive seasons. Winning a Super Bowl isn't a one year proposition (normally). It's an eight year proposition. The more you make the playoffs, the more likely you are to break through in one of those years.

Coaches aren't judged by single wins and losses. They're judged in the aggregate, meaning their job is to win string wins together. Garrett is doing that now.

+100

Looks like we have a nice foundation on offense.

Next, the defense.

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Garrett has done a good job this year but it does not erase all of the mistakes he has made in the past. Some of us started to drink the kool-aide after 2014 only to be slapped back into reality last year. I know I will not make the same mistake again. If Garrett can show consistent success I may jump on the bandwagon but for now I will continue to hope for the best and expect the worst. None of this changes the fact that a coach who needed so much OJT was not the right man for the job originally when we were one year removed from the playoffs and already had the hardest piece to find with our franchise QB, Romo. Future success will bode well for Garrett but will never completely dismiss his numerous screw-ups while he was learning on the job for so many years.

I agree for most part, but something about this team just feels different. They act and play like winners, nothing fazes them.

Zman5

Reaction score
I can't help but think that when the Eagles hit that little pooch punt, playing it safe, Garrett looked across the field and saw the lame leadership that he himself embodied for years and years. Playing to not lose will lose you a lot of games. Garrett decided to change his tune, and by winning he may have learned a very important lesson. I don't think he learned it last year - he learned it last week. I'll believe he is a good coach when we make it to the playoffs for several years in a row, as we should. Till then I'll remember all the times he didn't stay with the run, froze his own kicker, mismanaged the clock, etc etc. If we had promoted Sean Payton to HC when we could have, we'd have a couple more rings by now, IMO.

:hammer::hammer:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's had a good little run here lately but it will take a lot more for me personally to get over the garbage he has put this organization and Romo through over the years.

haleyrules

Reaction score
He's had a good little run here lately but it will take a lot more for me personally to get over the garbage he has put this organization and Romo through over the years.
I am inclined to agree with you. What kind of playoff coach can the faithful expect? Thats the real question. Prescott and Elliott ..backed by the best O.L in football will keep him afloat...but, in thr end...what happens??

skinsscalper

Reaction score

Sean Payton, as Jesus-like revered as he is around here, hasn't done **** in this league since he won the Super Bowl. You have to give him credit for the one championship he won but other than that he's done very little in this league. His finger prints are all over that Saints roster. He asks, Benson gives and all they have to show for it is a ****** team that is hanging on to Drew Brees with a defense that has embarrassed the entire NFL for as long as many can remember. His teams have actually moved farther and farther away from Super Bowl contention rather that closer and closer to one. The idea that Payton would have done more with this broken down, overpaid roster than Garrett has in the past few seasons is laughable. Garrett has actually shown that he can help build a roster. Payton has shown no such ability. In fact, the team under his tutelage, with the exception of a couple of flash seasons, has regressed BADLY. His gaffes regarding the defensive side his football team is an embarrassment of epic proportions. I respect Payton but he isn't anywhere near the football god that people around here think he is. He's a good offensive mind and that's about the gist of it.

plasticman

Reaction score
Jason Gatrett built this team using a specific philosophy that he described before he even started. The good ones do that.

He didnt always get the player he wanted but he never complained and always tried to integrate a player into the culture he developed from the players that he did want.

He consistantly preaches practice, preparation and execution. He consistantly emphasises drafting to maximize value and BPA, again not always getting what he wanted but any fan paying attention would have to conclude that Jason Garrett carries significant weight in deciding personnel.

You will notice that a large number of draftees played all four years, we're very ptoductive, and were team captains.

A very significant number of offensive players were Conference All Academic, particularly O-linemen and FB's.

These are the kind of players Jason Garrett described to us five and a half years ago when he was given the HC job on a permanent basis.

Prior to this, ad interum coach, he took over a 1-7 team, totally demoralized, with Tony Romo out for the season, recently humiliated by the eventual SB champs. They ended the 2nd half 5-3.

Jason Garrett immeditely intensified practice, installed discipline, created a travel dress code designed to emphasis professionalism.

For the 8 game period for which Garrett was interum they ranked #3 in scoring offensively. Defensively they were #3 in takaways.

As the som of a 30 year NFL scout and brother of an NGL executive, Jason Garretts strength lies in building team chemistry which emphasises competition, squad unity, and a constant drive to improve.

He had to learn certain aspects of the job such as gametime coaching and olaycalling but all first time HC have a learning curve.

Tom Landry and the Dallas Cowboys played their first championship on their 7th season. What followed was 20 consecutive winning seasons, 10 conference championship appearences, 5 Super Bowl appearences and two titles.

If you included his interum season this is Jason Garrett's 7th season. Like Landry, this is his first HC job. They both made their mistakes. They both had to endure losing more than their hard work deserved. They both beleived in their plan. Hopefully, more similarities will be celebrated in the Cowbiys future.

Zman5

Reaction score
Jason Gatrett built this team using a specific philosophy that he described before he even started. The good ones do that.

He didnt always get the player he wanted but he never complained and always tried to integrate a player into the culture he developed from the players that he did want.

He consistantly preaches practice, preparation and execution. He consistantly emphasises drafting to maximize value and BPA, again not always getting what he wanted but any fan paying attention would have to conclude that Jason Garrett carries significant weight in deciding personnel.

You will notice that a large number of draftees played all four years, we're very ptoductive, and were team captains.

A very significant number of offensive players were Conference All Academic, particularly O-linemen and FB's.

These are the kind of players Jason Garrett described to us five and a half years ago when he was given the HC job on a permanent basis.

Prior to this, ad interum coach, he took over a 1-7 team, totally demoralized, with Tony Romo out for the season, recently humiliated by the eventual SB champs. They ended the 2nd half 5-3.

Jason Garrett immeditely intensified practice, installed discipline, created a travel dress code designed to emphasis professionalism.

For the 8 game period for which Garrett was interum they ranked #3 in scoring offensively. Defensively they were #3 in takaways.

As the som of a 30 year NFL scout and brother of an NGL executive, Jason Garretts strength lies in building team chemistry which emphasises competition, squad unity, and a constant drive to improve.

He had to learn certain aspects of the job such as gametime coaching and olaycalling but all first time HC have a learning curve.

Tom Landry and the Dallas Cowboys played their first championship on their 7th season. What followed was 20 consecutive winning seasons, 10 conference championship appearences, 5 Super Bowl appearences and two titles.

If you included his interum season this is Jason Garrett's 7th season. Like Landry, this is his first HC job. They both made their mistakes. They both had to endure losing more than their hard work deserved. They both beleived in their plan. Hopefully, more similarities will be celebrated in the Cowbiys future.

Have you been hanging out with Randy Gregory lately?

CCBoy

Reaction score
Sean Payton, as Jesus-like revered as he is around here, hasn't done **** in this league since he won the Super Bowl. You have to give him credit for the one championship he won but other than that he's done very little in this league. His finger prints are all over that Saints roster. He asks, Benson gives and all they have to show for it is a ****ty team that is hanging on to Drew Brees with a defense that has embarrassed the entire NFL for as long as many can remember. His teams have actually moved farther and farther away from Super Bowl contention rather that closer and closer to one. The idea that Payton would have done more with this broken down, overpaid roster than Garrett has in the past few seasons is laughable. Garrett has actually shown that he can help build a roster. Payton has shown no such ability. In fact, the team under his tutelage, with the exception of a couple of flash seasons, has regressed BADLY. His gaffes regarding the defensive side his football team is an embarrassment of epic proportions. I respect Payton but he isn't anywhere near the football god that people around here think he is. He's a good offensive mind and that's about the gist of it.

And under Sean, team integrity hit the fan...

nobody

Reaction score
I always thought he'd develop into a good head coach or good GM. The players obviously buy into his message. His growing pains have hurt since he got the job a bit too early, but I continue to trust in his building of this team.

ChooChoo73

Reaction score
Sean Payton, as Jesus-like revered as he is around here, hasn't done **** in this league since he won the Super Bowl. You have to give him credit for the one championship he won but other than that he's done very little in this league. His finger prints are all over that Saints roster. He asks, Benson gives and all they have to show for it is a ****ty team that is hanging on to Drew Brees with a defense that has embarrassed the entire NFL for as long as many can remember. His teams have actually moved farther and farther away from Super Bowl contention rather that closer and closer to one. The idea that Payton would have done more with this broken down, overpaid roster than Garrett has in the past few seasons is laughable. Garrett has actually shown that he can help build a roster. Payton has shown no such ability. In fact, the team under his tutelage, with the exception of a couple of flash seasons, has regressed BADLY. His gaffes regarding the defensive side his football team is an embarrassment of epic proportions. I respect Payton but he isn't anywhere near the football god that people around here think he is. He's a good offensive mind and that's about the gist of it.

Saints had much better record then Dallas over that span including playoff wins. Payton 6-4 in playoffs. It is laughable to think Garrett has anything over Payton. The roster you praise Garrett for building over 8 years has accomplished almost nothing. I will take playoff seasons, wins and rings over supposed roster-building. Lastly, if Garrett is building this roster, than he is a part of overpaying it is he not? Bryant? Romo? Crawford? Carr?