News: Dallas Cowboys Jason Garrett Is Becoming The Coach Cowboys Fans Always Wanted

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
On the job training paying off....

It helps when you want to coach the "Cowboy way" and you have players that can make it happen!
Because simply saying, "here comes the vanilla play... try and stop us"

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Interesting the Cowboys had no round one rated WRs, not even Laquan Treadwell.

Jstopper

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Garrett has done a good job this year but it does not erase all of the mistakes he has made in the past. Some of us started to drink the kool-aide after 2014 only to be slapped back into reality last year. I know I will not make the same mistake again. If Garrett can show consistent success I may jump on the bandwagon but for now I will continue to hope for the best and expect the worst. None of this changes the fact that a coach who needed so much OJT was not the right man for the job originally when we were one year removed from the playoffs and already had the hardest piece to find with our franchise QB, Romo. Future success will bode well for Garrett but will never completely dismiss his numerous screw-ups while he was learning on the job for so many years.

This is ridiculous if we are good now and in the foreseeable future you say we should hold it against him for the beginning of his coaching career? Well hell I guess we should hold belichick years with the browns against him :rolleyes: The self hate in our fan base is astounding

cml750

Reaction score
This is ridiculous if we are good now and in the foreseeable future you say we should hold it against him for the beginning of his coaching career? Well hell I guess we should hold belichick years with the browns against him :rolleyes: The self hate in our fan base is astounding
:facepalm:

Reaction score
Why is that funny? That's literally the job of a head coach, it's no surprise that if a coach is doing his job well, perceptions change.

Personally, my opinion on Garrett hasn't changed much. It took a long time for us to realize that he needed to be surrounded by tons of experience due to his lack of experience. At this point, all he really does on the sidelines is call timeouts and decide if we should go for it on 4th down.

His only real job is to deliver a consistent message to the team and the media, and he's been very good at that from Day 1, but I don't think he's an X's and O's coach at all.
So when the team wins, he's calling timeouts and makes 4th down calls.

When they lose, he carries the entire team on his shoulders and is to blame for everything.

Gotcha.

Reaction score
Cowboys fans.

They're held hostage by a lunatic owner who emasculates his head coaches.....so...... therefore head coaches aren't all that important.

Don't make me drop a Football 101 thread on you.
Think about it.

He has to coach a prefessional football team with one hand, while dealing with an overbearing, egomaniac owner with another. And his kids. And his team is 6-1.

He might be the greastest coach to ever walk the sidelines.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So when the team wins, he's calling timeouts and makes 4th down calls.

When they lose, he carries the entire team on his shoulders and is to blame for everything.

Gotcha.

Some of you guys appear incapable of reading comprehension.

My post literally says "My opinion of Jason Garrett hasn't changed much.", meaning that losing or winning, I feel relatively the same about the guy.

Somehow that has turned into my saying he's not responsible for winning but is responsible for losing?

Reaction score
Some of you guys appear incapable of reading comprehension.

My post literally says "My opinion of Jason Garrett hasn't changed much.", meaning that losing or winning, I feel relatively the same about the guy.

Somehow that has turned into my saying he's not responsible for winning but is responsible for losing?
So enlighten me.

Your the one who thinks all head coaches do is call timeouts and make calls on 4th downs and chats with the media once in a while. The implication is that they have little responsibility for wins and losses.

I tend to think they do more than that.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Not a JG believer but winning cures everything. He's winning now so no problem. But I feel he's been an 8-8 coach in the past. I think it's more the team making him look better but I must say I was impressed last week with the fake punt, going for it on 4th and 1 in OT etc... But if those things especially the fake punt didn't work we probably lose that game.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
So enlighten me.

Your the one who thinks all head coaches do is call timeouts and make calls on 4th downs and chats with the media once in a while. The implication is that they have little responsibility for wins and losses.

I tend to think they do more than that.

I didn't say "All head coaches do is call timeouts and make calls on 4th downs", I said that's what Garrett does, and it was also more hyperbole than fact. I, like you, do not have access to the Cowboys sidelines during games to listen to every word coming out of Jason's mouth.

My point is that Garrett has been learning on our dime because he came in with barely any experience. As a result, we've insulated him with guys far more experienced than he is who have taken on the majority of the X's and O's workload.

Proof

Reaction score
LOL, spoken like someone that has no clue not one bit. Your HC is like the CEO of a company. HC does much more than you know and after reading what you said a whole lot more than what you know. but a HC is only as good as his staff, because his staff takes his vision and helps him convey that to his players and if that is not successful then the team will not be successful.
You need to learn about coaching period

Traditional coaches of which Garrett does not appear to be, hence the negative opinions.

Reaction score
I didn't say "All head coaches do is call timeouts and make calls on 4th downs", I said that's what Garrett does, and it was also more hyperbole than fact. I, like you, do not have access to the Cowboys sidelines during games to listen to every word coming out of Jason's mouth.

My point is that Garrett has been learning on our dime because he came in with barely any experience. As a result, we've insulated him with guys far more experienced than he is who have taken on the majority of the X's and O's workload.
I don't disagree with that. But why is hiring experienced guys a strike against him?

I know it's college ball, but Nick Saban has something like 6 guys on his staff with some HC experience. Jim Harbaugh has assistants with 80+ years of NFL coaching experience. Should their accomplishments be downgraded because of that?

I don't think so.

Proof

Reaction score
Why is that funny? That's literally the job of a head coach, it's no surprise that if a coach is doing his job well, perceptions change.

Personally, my opinion on Garrett hasn't changed much. It took a long time for us to realize that he needed to be surrounded by tons of experience due to his lack of experience. At this point, all he really does on the sidelines is call timeouts and decide if we should go for it on 4th down.

His only real job is to deliver a consistent message to the team and the media, and he's been very good at that from Day 1, but I don't think he's an X's and O's coach at all.

My opinion in a nutshell.

14 and this year he's doing a better job and if it continues I'll get on board. As of now though he's never impressed me at all

Rob-G

Reaction score
He's still not the coach I always wanted. He lucked out a 4th round pick became a starter and is playing like a 1st round pick to save his season and potentially his job.