News: Dallas Cowboys Must Cash in on This Season

haleyrules

Reaction score
There's hope for the future of this team without necessarily "cashing in" immediately. Much of the last 20 years were marred with mediocre drafts, while for the last several years, our drafts have been exceptional. Hopefully, Will McClay will be content to stay with Dallas, especially if Jerry should decide to augment his pay to deflect the temptation for him to accept a GM post elsewhere.

Dak and Zeke are young studs who are probably destined to remain with the Cowboys for a long, long time to come. The defense is on the upswing and the next draft is likely to see defensive changes that should make a positive impact on that side of the ball.

This appears to be the beginning of a new era in Dallas, as opposed to the era of stagnation that has marked the last 20 years. Stephen has been granted a greater say in management as well. So, as noted at the outset of this post, there is hope for better times to come for the Cowboys.
Great post. Jones needs to pay McClay like any other GM. He has earned that. The future is bright with all these young guys on rookie deals. Its a certainty the FO will stiffen the defense in the off season,

haleyrules

Reaction score
I agree in all of Romo's skill set and experience but not his physical
and that is unreliable
Tony had one great series in about 2 years and it was very exciting. He has never proved to be a great playoff competitor. He has been good and sometimes very good...but he has never been great. Prescott has earned his job the hard way. Lets see how this plays out and too me this club will go as far as the defense takes it. Defense and not QB's or sizzle players win in the Playoffs.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
The only season that counts is the one you're playing now.
There's no guarantee that the Cowboys even sniff the playoffs next year.
Yep. Not a single prognosticator would have picked both Super Bowl participants from last year to miss the playoffs this season. One barely missed the playoffs and the other never gave themselves a chance.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I agree, cash in...

Will the coaching staff be willing to do what it takes? Will Romo be inserted if Dak struggles, I guess we'll see, hopefully, we don't have to find out...

gmoney112

Reaction score
Yep. Not a single prognosticator would have picked both Super Bowl participants from last year to miss the playoffs this season. One barely missed the playoffs and the other never gave themselves a chance.

Huh? Once Manning retired I thought they'd probably miss. You have to have even a little something at QB these days. With Cam at QB, no one should have been that surprised Carolina missed.

One team's QB retired, the other had a streaky QB that plays well about every other season.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Huh? Once Manning retired I thought they'd probably miss. You have to have even a little something at QB these days. With Cam at QB, no one should have been that surprised Carolina missed.

One team's QB retired, the other had a streaky QB that plays well about every other season.
Manning wasn't much better from a statistical stand point than what they've trotted out there this year and Manning actually had little to do with their championship. One of the worst passing performances in a Super Bowl win. That team was about defense (which lost a couple of good players this past off-season).

Cam Newton led a 15-1 team last year and outplayed Manning from a passing stand point (the turnovers forced by the Broncos did him in). And if you're going to claim that you thought the Panthers would completely miss the playoffs this season, I call bull****.

Macnalty

Reaction score
Very true! I am curious to see what the Cowboy Defense has to offer in the Playoffs. That will turn out to be what really decides the Cowboy season. Eli knows..so does Wilson.
I agree Sean Lee resting for two weeks is a great weapon for this defense, along with Irving and McClain coming back full force. We will have few excuses if we do no self harming turnovers and penalties. This defense is more than good enough if the offense plays well and controlled.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Manning wasn't much better from a statistical stand point than what they've trotted out there this year and Manning actually had little to do with their championship. One of the worst passing performances in a Super Bowl win. That team was about defense (which lost a couple of good players this past off-season).

Cam Newton led a 15-1 team last year and outplayed Manning from a passing stand point (the turnovers forced by the Broncos did him in). And if you're going to claim that you thought the Panthers would completely miss the playoffs this season, I call bull****.

Yeah, they had a few FA in their front 7, good ones, and Manning retired. If someone picked them to win the AFC West, they were probably pretty clueless.

If you didn't know by now Cam is Jekyll & Hyde at this point in his career, then that's on you. Anyone who follows the game knows last year was a complete anomaly. They also lost their best CB and an underrated safety in Harper, as well as Tillman which is why their pass defense has been abysmal this year. I didn't expect them to be this bad but Cam acting like a giant man child after the Super Bowl loss confirmed he will never get it. They were about 50/50 in my book, if you had told me they weren't going to make it wouldn't have surprised me a bit.

Well run organizations with QB's that have their heads on their shoulders usually have their team with a chance in the postseason. Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens (although one could argue about Flacco having a head). With the talented youth on this team, it's going to take a crazy injuries or terrible drafts to keep us out of it every year.

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Yeah, they had a few FA in their front 7, good ones, and Manning retired. If someone picked them to win the AFC West, they were probably pretty clueless.

If you didn't know by now Cam is Jekyll & Hyde at this point in his career, then that's on you. Anyone who follows the game knows last year was a complete anomaly. They also lost their best CB and an underrated safety in Harper, as well as Tillman which is why their pass defense has been abysmal this year. I didn't expect them to be this bad but Cam acting like a giant man child after the Super Bowl loss confirmed he will never get it. They were about 50/50 in my book, if you had told me they weren't going to make it wouldn't have surprised me a bit.

Well run organizations with QB's that have their heads on their shoulders usually have their team with a chance in the postseason. Packers, Seahawks, Patriots, Steelers, Ravens (although one could argue about Flacco having a head). With the talented youth on this team, it's going to take a crazy injuries or terrible drafts to keep us out of it every year.
The point remains that both Super Bowl participants missed the playoffs. It doesn't happen often and illustrates the point that nothing is guaranteed.

I also think that our future looks pretty good. Arizona's did, too. Ditto for Baltimore, Cincinnati, Minnesota, Carolina, Indy, and on and on. Again, nothing is guaranteed.

erod

Reaction score
LOL you've been teaching all of us for the last 2 years while your boy is sitting on the sidelines carry on
They're all my boys. He's just the best chance option to get to a Super Bowl in January 2017. Doesn't mean I won't be screaming my lungs out for Dak.

erod

Reaction score
I agree in all of Romo's skill set and experience but not his physical
and that is unreliable

There's the only question I have.

People say, "it was only one series", and that's true. But he showed that he can play like he's always played. You can't fake that.

However, we don't know if he can get take a hit and get up. I think he can, but I don't know.

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
Horse stuff

This team is being built for the Long Haul and it's about time

relax and enjoy the next 7 - 10 years

We are back to a place that a lot of you have never known

I don't know about that long because we would need to pay Dak, Zeke, Martin, Jones, etc. let Williams walk, resign Dez or let him walk.

To me, this year and maybe the next 2 years we will keep most of the key players, but 7 - 10 years is something where a lot of things has to go right like signing great FA players for cheap and hitting on most of our picks.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know about that long because we would need to pay Dak, Zeke, Martin, Jones, etc. let Williams walk, resign Dez or let him walk.

To me, this year and maybe the next 2 years we will keep most of the key players, but 7 - 10 years is something where a lot of things has to go right like signing great FA players for cheap and hitting on most of our picks.
With the folks we have picking our talent I think we have the ability to fill holes like New England

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Romo has been here since 2003 and still no SB unfortunately. What makes you so confident that this is the year he could deliver us an SB?

Because DAK? I'm sorry I fail to see the correlation beyond hyperbole. Were you confident about 2015 too?

Yet another person who doesn't understand what a team is.

Individual players don't deliver a title. That's just stupid.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Tony had one great series in about 2 years and it was very exciting. He has never proved to be a great playoff competitor. He has been good and sometimes very good...but he has never been great. Prescott has earned his job the hard way. Lets see how this plays out and too me this club will go as far as the defense takes it. Defense and not QB's or sizzle players win in the Playoffs.

Eh...he was given the job due to injury. Not from winning it.
He played safe low-risk football, and did pretty well with it, and the team had success and he was allowed to keep the job.

Never did he earn it outright by outperforming someone else for the job.

cowboys2233

Reaction score
Horse stuff

This team is being built for the Long Haul and it's about time

relax and enjoy the next 7 - 10 years

We are back to a place that a lot of you have never known

Yeah, I agree with this.

benson

Reaction score

Wrong as usual.
In Romo's last playoff game, you know, the one where he went in to Greenbay in January, he completed 79% of his passes, with a 10 yards per attempt for 191 yards, and 2 TD's. If Dez hadn't dropped the ball, it would have been 3 TD's. That is a masterful performance in GB.

But as has been the case throughout his career, it wasn't enough. The defense allowed Aaron Rodgers on 1 leg to do as he pleased and despite an incredible performance, Romo's cowboys lost. Perpetuating the idea to the common fan that Romo is a loser.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Yet another person who doesn't understand what a team is.

Individual players don't deliver a title. That's just stupid.

I'm sorry we were talking about an individual player. What you are saying is pretty obvious. It goes without saying. Of course it's about the team.

However let's point to 2015... what individual player was the team lacking.... a QB.

Thats an important and integral part to any football team. So yes it's about the team but it's also about a player or players. It's both.

You don't know what I believe and said in past comments and you took one comment out of context. I forgive you.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
Eh...he was given the job due to injury. Not from winning it.
He played safe low-risk football, and did pretty well with it, and the team had success and he was allowed to keep the job.

Never did he earn it outright by outperforming someone else for the job.

What does it matter? Tony said it himself it's about a meritocracy. He actually earned that starting job because of what he did on the field translating to wins. I feel you are diminishing what he was able to provide for "the team". Looks like this "Safe low risk football" got us 11 straight wins as opposed to "dangerous high risk football" never getting us that with Tony. I will take safe low risk football any day if it means locking up 1 seed with 2 games left to play at end of season any day.

CCBoy

Reaction score
This article is misleading. Its not a now or never situation with the Cowboys. Were just getting started with a new dynasty. We'll be seeing multiple superbowls for the years to come so long Dak and Zeke can still perform at a high level.

Tell that to this year's coaches/GM's that are being replaced now as we talk. The playoffs haven't even started. Six is the count.