Dallas D is now comparable to the 85 Chicago Bears

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas defense just kicked the doors off of a very good Viking's team. I have not seen a defense this great on all levels ever. Even better than the:
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens
tenor.gif

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm not worried about what happened in 1985.

What I want to know is who is the number one defense in points allowed in 2022?

And who ever would have thought we'd be number 1 in points allowed?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I don't care what people say OP. The pass rush of this team is on the level of the best teams in history.

And it has the potential to get even better.

Flamma

Reaction score
For the sake of comparison, that Bears team did give up 28 to Tampa Bay, 24 to Minnesota and 38 to Miami (their only loss). Of course, that Dolphins team was much better than this year's Packers.

Two of those games came very early in the season, and one of them in week1 I think. They were way better by mid season. Besides Miami, the rest of the way was pretty impressive.

kramskoi

Reaction score
Lol

Sorry man but that is just comical.

The best defenses in the SB era:

‘75 Steelers
‘85 Bears
‘00 Ravens

This Cowboys version is still quite aways from the ‘90’s Cowboys SB defenses. And that is because of a still porous run D. But nice try and I like your enthusiasm.
I'd put the '02 Bucs in there as well. Doomsday in 71/77 wasn't too bad either.

The 1976 Steelers pitched SIX shutouts (giving up just 28 points total in the final 9 games), even though they got hammered in the title game vs. Oakland that year. That '75 defense probably wasn't as good and I do think that Dallas should've beaten them in that year's Superbowl.

Last edited:

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't care what people say OP. The pass rush of this team is on the level of the best teams in history.

And it has the potential to get even better.

I think it will get better towards the end of the season. That happens a lot with good defenses. They improve as the season goes forward. But our run D has to show up like they did against Minnesota. Do that and this D can earn its place in history. Otherwise I don't even rank them as good as the 1993 Oilers, let alone the other top defenses.

plymkr

Reaction score
I don't feel the D has to be comparable to the 85 Bears. Well for one thing the 85 Bears played in a completely different era were defenses could actually play defense.

But the OP is excited about the defense and there should be a lot of excitement. Clark is coming into his own which if he keeps progressing the way he has he will be a force come playoffs. So our D that is really good now is getting better, which is scary for the rest of the league. We got playmakers at every level of the D and we're getting stronger with the emergence of Clark.

I would say a fair comparison would be the Tampa Bay defense that won the super bowl with Sapp and Brooks, when they beat the Raiders. Or the last Ravens team to win the super bowl with Flacco. I feel it's fair to say we're as good as those defenses or better. Which means if we play our game we have a shot.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
They have to win a trophy before you can put them with those teams. They pass rush like this and win a SB and then we can have that conversation. Cannot have one without the other.

Jammer

Retired Air Force Guy
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember all the great defenses since the early 70's and as others have said you cannot compare the defenses back then to today. Rules were a lot different then. You could actually play defense. There is a reason why QBs like Bradshaw, Staubach, Stabler, and others were considered great even though their numbers pale in comparison to today's QBs. To get a roughing the passer in those days you literally had to nearly kill the QB. Now you get roughing the passer by tapping the QB milliseconds after he throws the ball.

I will say the '85 Bears instilled fear into their opponents and some teams were defeated even before they set foot on the field. The Bears/Cowboys matchup point spread was "even" and I thought that was a big joke and the whopping the Bears put on the Cowboys that day still is fresh in my mind as if it happened yesterday. The Cowboys were pretenders and the Bears were the real deal.

Last edited:

jwitten82

Reaction score
I love our defense but our defense is more Leigion of Boom than 85 bears
The only thing keeping this defense from being mentioned with the the legion of boom is it's inability to stop the run. Thru 10 games Dallas has allowed 167 points, the 2013 Seahawks allowed 159 points during their first 10 games. The LOB allowed a 35.19 conversion rate on third down for the season, Dallas is currently allowing a third down conversion rate of 34.56.
The LOB allowed 1,626 rushing yards for 3.9 ypc for their season. Dallas thru 10 games has allowed 1,361 rushing yards for 4.7 ypc, on pace for 2,313 rushing yards allowed.
But our pass rush is on another level compared to theirs, the LOB had 44 sacks for the season, Dallas has 42, on pace for 71 sacks , which would tie us for second most sacks by a team in NFL history.

StarOfGlory

Reaction score
Lol

Sorry man but that is just comical.

The best defenses in the SB era:

‘75 Steelers
‘85 Bears
‘00 Ravens

This Cowboys version is still quite aways from the ‘90’s Cowboys SB defenses. And that is because of a still porous run D. But nice try and I like your enthusiasm.
Buddy Ryan always said his Eagles defense was better than his Bears defense. When he was fired and Bud Carson took over, that 1991 D they had was insane. That might be the year they led the league in pass D, run D, and points allowed. Some consider it the best ever. But I think that was the year they had four or five QB's. No offense survives that.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
That's what i like about this place...LOL....the over reactions from week to week. Just last week, we were saying how over rated and soft this team is and now its the other end of the spectrum. The media does it too. Talking today about are they now Super Bowl worthy. Always a fun time here in Jerry's World. :laugh:

kramskoi

Reaction score
I think it will get better towards the end of the season. That happens a lot with good defenses. They improve as the season goes forward. But our run D has to show up like they did against Minnesota. Do that and this D can earn its place in history. Otherwise I don't even rank them as good as the 1993 Oilers, let alone the other top defenses.
The thing is...Dalvin Cook still averaged a shade over 6.5 yds/carry. What happened is that the Dallas offense started so white-hot that they made Minnesota one-dimensional before halftime. I think Cook only had three carries in the second half iirc. The game against the Titans will show what has been learned about slowing up a potent ground game...because the Titans WILL run and run heavy. The Giants on turkey day will try and do the same thing. Now if the Cowboys come out on offense like they did vs. the Vikings then it simply won't matter. They will simply beat the brakes off your behind. And this is really what you want in the playoffs. Teams like the Vikings, Eagles and 49ers don't really have "shoot-out" type quarterbacks. Get up on them early by a few possessions and THEN it becomes the type of game your defense wants to play....downhill and at the quarterback.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Dallas defense just kicked the doors off of a very good Viking's team. I have not seen a defense this great on all levels ever. Even better than the:
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

The Cowboys pass rush is deadly and I don't think they have peaked yet. Every defensive player deserves a game ball Kearse, Parsons, Armstrong, Gallimore, Fowler, D-Law, Williams, LVE, Clark, Brown, Diggs. Every offensive linemen deserves a game ball as well. The O-line was opening up 5 yard lanes. Talk about depth...this is the deepest team in football. This O-line is shaping up as well. The O-line is getting to the 2nd level and just mauling. Smith, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are like uncaged animals. Dak had all day against a good defense. Pollard has proven to be just as explosive as Tyrek. Parsons is DPOY.

I am ready for Thanksgiving Day. The march to the Superbowl is great, enjoy the Kool-Aid. What Y-all think?

Go Dallas!!!
More premature hyperbole!