Dallas D is now comparable to the 85 Chicago Bears

Flamma

Reaction score
Agreed most are too young to have experienced the 85 Bears.

what I remember about the 44-0 bears pokes gm in 85 was Dorsett had about a 30 yard run in first quarter and we all got excited. But then reality happened. I also remember SI’s next cover was Wilber Marshall throwing Danny White to the ground w 44-0 caption.

It was embarrassing. I know I didn't play in the game, but as a Cowboys fan I felt emasculated after the game. I wanted to read poetry.

Dorsett had a 20+ yard sweep on the first play of the game if I remember correctly. But after that White had 0 time to throw the ball. And as much as I liked Danny White, he wasn't as good at 0 time as Roger was.

GRCowboy

Reaction score
2013 Seahawks was the best defense I ever witnessed. I was -8 years old in 1985

Pass2Run

Reaction score
The only thing keeping this defense from being mentioned with the the legion of boom is it's inability to stop the run. Thru 10 games Dallas has allowed 167 points, the 2013 Seahawks allowed 159 points during their first 10 games. The LOB allowed a 35.19 conversion rate on third down for the season, Dallas is currently allowing a third down conversion rate of 34.56.
The LOB allowed 1,626 rushing yards for 3.9 ypc for their season. Dallas thru 10 games has allowed 1,361 rushing yards for 4.7 ypc, on pace for 2,313 rushing yards allowed.
But our pass rush is on another level compared to theirs, the LOB had 44 sacks for the season, Dallas has 42, on pace for 71 sacks , which would tie us for second most sacks by a team in NFL history.

Thanks for bringing facts to the discussion.

Flamma

Reaction score
2013 Seahawks was the best defense I ever witnessed. I was -8 years old in 1985

At your age, I can agree with you. That 2013 D had a ton of impact players. But probably not top 5 that I've witnessed. But good enough to make top 10 IMO.

GRCowboy

Reaction score
At your age, I can agree with you. That 2013 D had a ton of impact players. But probably not top 5 that I've witnessed. But good enough to make top 10 IMO.
Also they were a likeable unit and easy to root for IMO. What really endeared me to them was in the early part of 2012 season they beat the fudgecheese packers on a (caught) hail mary and the whiniest turd fan base in the league (GB Pissconsin) with the media in their back pocket tried to push the fake news narrative that it should have been a pick. GB tears are better than caviar to me. Hate that franchise and their state and every single one of their fans. Hated them since waaaaaay before 2014... more like 2009 when they booed Favre, that and other things just made me hate them. So Wilson's hail mary and that defense endeared themselves to me pretty quickly. Easy to root for them throughout their super bowl run in 2013 and how they were built not bought, and yes I was elated when they came back to beat the cheese****s again in the NFC championship game the next year then subsequently heartbroken when that team was shattered by the pick at the end zone by the Cheatriots. Later on post-contract / post-Ciara Russell Wilson got to be somewhat unlikeable but the legion of boom will always be one of my all time favorite squads especially non-Cowboys. Kam Chancellor, ET, even the ole Sherminator... got to love the fight and competitiveness of those boys. They embodied the game of football as it was meant to be played.

Flamma

Reaction score
Also they were a likeable unit and easy to root for IMO. What really endeared me to them was in the early part of 2012 season they beat the fudgecheese packers on a (caught) hail mary and the whiniest turd fan base in the league (GB Pissconsin) with the media in their back pocket tried to push the fake news narrative that it should have been a pick. GB tears are better than caviar to me. Hate that franchise and their state and every single one of their fans. Hated them since waaaaaay before 2014... more like 2009 when they booed Favre, that and other things just made me hate them. So Wilson's hail mary and that defense endeared themselves to me pretty quickly. Easy to root for them throughout their super bowl run in 2013 and how they were built not bought, and yes I was elated when they came back to beat the cheese****s again in the NFC championship game the next year then subsequently heartbroken when that team was shattered by the pick at the end zone by the Cheatriots. Later on post-contract / post-Ciara Russell Wilson got to be somewhat unlikeable but the legion of boom will always be one of my all time favorite squads especially non-Cowboys. Kam Chancellor, ET, even the ole Sherminator... got to love the fight and competitiveness of those boys. They embodied the game of football as it was meant to be played.

I was loving all of that too. And this was the first great D that any of us saw in a long time. I've seen the best defenses take down historically good offenses in Super Bowls and championship games over and over again. That's why I bet someone 50 bucks that they'd beat Denver straight up. 1983 and 2007 were just two of them.

GRCowboy

Reaction score
I was loving all of that too. And this was the first great D that any of us saw in a long time. I've seen the best defenses take down historically good offenses in Super Bowls and championship games over and over again. That's why I bet someone 50 bucks that they'd beat Denver straight up. 1983 and 2007 were just two of them.
I was a freshman in college and I bet 9k on Seattle to win straight up and from the opening fumble safety forward, ended up having a great night and partied with gorgeous girls and told the IRS to pound sand. :)

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I'd put the '02 Bucs in there as well. Doomsday in 71/77 wasn't too bad either.

The 1976 Steelers pitched SIX shutouts (giving up just 28 points total in the final 9 games), even though they got hammered in the title game vs. Oakland that year. That '75 defense probably wasn't as good and I do think that Dallas should've beaten them in that year's Superbowl.

90 Eagles and 92 Cowboys were among the best too.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Dallas defense just kicked the doors off of a very good Viking's team. I have not seen a defense this great on all levels ever. Even better than the:
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

The Cowboys pass rush is deadly and I don't think they have peaked yet. Every defensive player deserves a game ball Kearse, Parsons, Armstrong, Gallimore, Fowler, D-Law, Williams, LVE, Clark, Brown, Diggs. Every offensive linemen deserves a game ball as well. The O-line was opening up 5 yard lanes. Talk about depth...this is the deepest team in football. This O-line is shaping up as well. The O-line is getting to the 2nd level and just mauling. Smith, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are like uncaged animals. Dak had all day against a good defense. Pollard has proven to be just as explosive as Tyrek. Parsons is DPOY.

I am ready for Thanksgiving Day. The march to the Superbowl is great, enjoy the Kool-Aid. What Y-all think?

Go Dallas!!!

no-idea-idk.gif

NeathBlue

Reaction score
The 85 Bears will, imo, always go down as the greatest defence that ever was… They set a benchmark that will never be beaten.
What they did to Dallas at Texas Stadium that day, should have carried a 99 year jail sentence it was so brutal.

Cmac

Reaction score
Sorry......the physicality and complete dominance doesn't match at all. Next LVE playing like Singeltary?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Dallas defense just kicked the doors off of a very good Viking's team. I have not seen a defense this great on all levels ever. Even better than the:
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

The Cowboys pass rush is deadly and I don't think they have peaked yet. Every defensive player deserves a game ball Kearse, Parsons, Armstrong, Gallimore, Fowler, D-Law, Williams, LVE, Clark, Brown, Diggs. Every offensive linemen deserves a game ball as well. The O-line was opening up 5 yard lanes. Talk about depth...this is the deepest team in football. This O-line is shaping up as well. The O-line is getting to the 2nd level and just mauling. Smith, McGovern, Biadasz, Martin and Steele are like uncaged animals. Dak had all day against a good defense. Pollard has proven to be just as explosive as Tyrek. Parsons is DPOY.

I am ready for Thanksgiving Day. The march to the Superbowl is great, enjoy the Kool-Aid. What Y-all think?

Go Dallas!!!
no its not. its nowhere close to being that dominant. the bears were #1 rushing defense. #3 passing defense. our run defense sucks.

EversonIWasAYoungBoy

Reaction score
Buddy Ryan always said his Eagles defense was better than his Bears defense. When he was fired and Bud Carson took over, that 1991 D they had was insane. That might be the year they led the league in pass D, run D, and points allowed. Some consider it the best ever. But I think that was the year they had four or five QB's. No offense survives that.

Yeah, if Cunningham didn’t get hurt they would have won the SB that year…which I would have tolerated more than the skins winning that year.

There is a Steelers website that breaks down the 91 Eagles, 75 or whatever Steelers and the 85 Bears and they list the 91 Eagles as the best D ever.

No one ever talks about them because they didn’t win though

terra

Reaction score
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

Go Dallas!!!
whatever you are smoking I think I might want to try....

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
85 Bears
86 Giants
76 Steelers
Ray Lewis Ravens

Go Dallas!!!

Not even close. We were just bashing this defense 2 weeks ago for giving up 200 yards rushing to GB in a loss. This defense isn't even on par with the great cowboy defenses of the 70's and 90's.

We had a great game in MN. Lets not get too crazy.